• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Magick: Whether & If So How It Works

As you get older and more serious as an occultist you get quieter, there's no point in trying to make people understand. It's annoying but I think it's best to keep it to yourself or others involved, people can get very funny about the occult.

It was always a very private business to me. None of anyone else's business.

I see magic as an ancient technology to improve and manage ESP, people interested in magic would improve a lot by training ESP capabilities. A lot of times someone interested on magic start reading about ocultism, Think that they would find interesting to read from people that simply train ESP capabilities.

The question of this thread is discussed by two very young PhDs in the esoteric domains.

Btw, if anybody here can help the host sync the sound and vision on her videos, she teaches at Leeds University.

Last edited:
I'm coming in late to this but - isn't magic just like prayer? If you have faith and are convinced it works - it will work.

Not really, catseye. Not for me, anyway. The methods are entirely distinct in terms of purpose and framing. Prayer is a process that is framed, even delineated, by formally approved doctrinal authority. It takes the form of mental or verbalised petition, intercession or some other liturgical goal. Most distinctive of all, the fundamental difference is the direction - in christian prayer, a single supernatural deity is petitioned, and generally in terms the religious authority rules appropriate.

Magical practice can focus on anything that the practitioner identifies with in a meaningful way. Also,magic often employs complex material technology to create a receptive environment for the processing of the rite. If one thing doesn't come off effective, adjust, eject or replace.

Those are just a few everyday examples from an individual perspective. I'm not going into the more organised group or grimoiric processes coz I know nothing at all about it. I perceive there would be more distinction the deeper you go with either practice.

She is super cool. Ive been watching her videos lots!
Got onto Angela Puca through Filip Holm's video on Sufism at his YT channel, Let's Talk Religion, which is also very good.
Interesting name - Puca. I wonder if that's really her family name. She's Italian. I expect it's a truncation.

The Púca

Back