• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Magnetic Anomaly Detected Under Antarctic Ice (Near Lake Vostok)

A

Anonymous

"fate" magazine reports a story that is a must read, about" lake vostok"and the 64 mile by 45 mile magnetic anomoly,resembling the electromagnetic signature of a large power plant,this structure has been there for aprox.13 million years ,under 2+miles of ice,strange that all the serface viewing satalites over antartica are showing old photo's or are "on the fritz"just one more note of interest is the signal being emited from the object,check out this site for more info"(nsa over ride)"

OK - I'm a snippy git!

fatemag.com/article.phtml?id=263
Link is dead. No archived version of the linked webpage found.

Is the link you should have included.

Last edited by a moderator:
And what a good read it is, 'mute!

I'd like to do a websearch for related stuff, but I have to go out tonight (mad social whirl...)

It's a long time since I read something quite that mind boggling! Reminds me of when I read the book about the `hollow Earth,' based on mis-interpreted satellite photos that left a black hole at the North Pole. That was a rattling good yarn too. Hope there's more to come!

Fascinating stuff! A pal of mine's dad was involved in the British Antarctic survey some years ago, and he always said that the actual amount of personnel and non-environmental work that goes on at the Pole is heavily underplayed by all the Governments involved. The usual image portrayed is of half a dozen blokes in Parkas with a log cabin in the background, sending balloons up, which we're more than encouraged to believe. Apparently it goes rather deeper than that...

Actually, come to think of it, did anyone see Michael Palin's BBC series "Pole to Pole" (recently repeated)? He got within an ace of the south pole itself, couldn't go closer for reasons unspecified, and nor could they film anywhere near the US base close by.

They're all up to something down there:hmph:

Stu Neville said:
A pal of mine's dad was involved in the British Antarctic survey some years ago, and he always said...

FOAF eh Stu?

Am I the only one who found the thing about the salt strange. Instead of trying to get it out of the Antarctic ice, I'd just tell my superiors to bring a bag next time they popped in with supplies.

Frobush said:
FOAF eh Stu?

Not really, cos he told me that directly: I was round their house while something polar related was on TV, and he mentioned the fact that film-makers tend to overlook the actual number of people there.

He was an ex-navy chap, and had been stationed in South Georgia post-Falklands: used to do supply runs and the like to the BAS.

Stu Neville said:
Fascinating stuff! A pal of mine's dad was involved in the British Antarctic survey some years ago, and he always said that the actual amount of personnel and non-environmental work that goes on at the Pole is heavily underplayed by all the Governments involved. The usual image portrayed is of half a dozen blokes in Parkas with a log cabin in the background, sending balloons up, which we're more than encouraged to believe. Apparently it goes rather deeper than that...

I suspect that the way it is usually presented in the media is just the ususal media induced spin, i.e. antarctica is wild, cold, and barren, therefore we can't show too many of these folks running around the place and having sizable facilities.

There's a more realistic presentation of the conditions at the BAS website...
http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/Living/index.html

There are some pretty bizarre things that go on down there, however. In order to have any say in the future of the antarctic you need to have a reserach station down there, doing "research." Having a say is percieved to be a good thing, partiularly if there is any substantial mineral/oil wealth to be had at some future date. Some countries have thus constructed some very peculiar research programs in order to justify their existance. I think that the Argentinians (please correct me if I'm wrong) had a group that was investigating the effects of overeating on penguins.:confused:

Did the article mention the possibly harmful interaction that might take place between the life forms in the lake and us (as in 'surface beings')? I know it mentionned the possible danger from methane and other gasses, but what about bacteria? I might have missed it - can't concentrate so well with a headache - but I suppose it is a possibility?

Stu Neville said:
...he mentioned the fact that film-makers tend to overlook the actual number of people there.

And these film-makers - friends of his?

Only joking! I better stop before I dig myself an even bigger hole! :)

Frobush said:
And these film-makers - friends of his?

Only joking! I better stop before I dig myself an even bigger hole! :)

OK Frobush: they'll stop filming you when you stop digging!:monster:

Xanatic said:
Am I the only one who found the thing about the salt strange.

Actually, isn't "salt" a code word for iodine... as in
what you need to take after radiation exposure?

TVgeek

P.S.
I should have re-read the article first... if I'm being redundant,
I apologize!

I just Googled on "Antarctica, 'satellite images', maps, charts" - and got about 3,600 pages listed! Antarctica

If I get through about 100 per day, I should be back here by the end of August! Many of them seem to be weather satellite pics, so probably don't show much ground detail.

Filtering the above for pages mentioning Lake Vostok reduced the total to a more manageable 84! (But there may be other Vostock stuff in addition - I'll try that separately.)

rynner said:
If I get through about 100 per day, I should be back here by the end of August! Many of them seem to be weather satellite pics, so probably don't show much ground detail.

If you want better resolution try the Quickbird 2 imagery at
http://www.digitalglobe.com/?goto=gallery/downloads#mcmurdo

:)

P.S. Just looking at the original message about satellites going on the "fritz" over Antarctica, it is possible that this is an oblique reference to the wonderful South Atlantic Anomaly which is a region of *seriously* enhanced radiation located over the South Atlantic. (No prizes for guessing how it got its name. ;) ) The increased flux experienced by satellites passing through this region can indeed cause them to go "on the fritz." Just a thought. :)

Hoeg & Reilly

Peter Hoeg's novel Smilla's Sense of Snow, made into an excellent movie of the same name starring Julia Ormond and Gabriel Byrne, featured a prehistoric ice worm parasite warmed by a fallen meteorite of unknown composition that seemed to be using zero point energy somehow. This was the novel's McGuffin.

In Ice Station by Matt Reilly, we're treated to a recap of this icy scenario -- which was an internet hoax at one point supposedly promoting a movie that never surfaced -- which echoes the plot of X-FILES: FIGHT THE FUTURE in that the meteorite is actually a spacecraft.

In short, a hell of a lot of melodrama, and not many if any supporting facts, lead me to conclude it's probably malarkey. Still, interesting mix.

ET Is Home

Fascinating. An almost ET environment right here on Gaia.

Of course the monsters will come out when we poke at them.

Over-eating on penguins ? What ..is that the effect of penguins eating too much...or the effect on people who eat too many penguins ? Penguins make quite a nice meal..especially the little Adele penguins...good source of vit.C as well.......ideal for preventing scurvy .Shackleton and his men ate hundreds of the little dears. Don't know about big objects in lakes though .Actually are bacteria a problem in the Antartic...thought it was too sterile for them to activate...or am I just babbling!

karenlilly said:
Over-eating on penguins ? What ..is that the effect of penguins eating too much...or the effect on people who eat too many penguins ? Penguins make quite a nice meal..especially the little Adele penguins...good source of vit.C as well.......ideal for preventing scurvy .Shackleton and his men ate hundreds of the little dears. Don't know about big objects in lakes though .Actually are bacteria a problem in the Antartic...thought it was too sterile for them to activate...or am I just babbling!

1) Bacteria have evolved to live in the msot extreme environments. It's the big organisms that have trouble :)
EDIT: More to the point, they don't jsut lvie in the ice. They live in areas like underwater lakes, mentioned here.

2) They may simply have frozen there. I'm pretty sure they've thawed out ice that's been frozen millenia and found viable bacteria.

We've been found out!

Couldn't get on the Fate Mag link, or even their home page! Looks like "They're" onto us guys!

Antartica!!

Am I the only one thinking about Lovecraft here? Most of his surviving Cthulu were in Antartica. This lake could contain a nest of Shoggoth.....

Or maybe even T'Leth itself!:eek::_omg:

At the Governments of Madness

Yes, HPL does come to mind but I'm not convinced R'lyeh is under Antarctica. Then again, no reason why it shouldn't be.

When Cthulhu Wakes should be the name for this thread, perhaps.

The shoggoth-haunted hidden city of the Elder Things from "At the Mountains of Madness" was the first thing that came to my mind as well. Which should be coming to a cinema screen near you soon, from director Guillermo del Toro!

Of course, my other thought was of the alien ship beneath the ice from "The Thing From Another World", but this sounds a bit bigger than that.

Thanks! I couldnt remember the name of the story, and it was really bugging me!:D

I managed to find this copy of the missing Fate article linked to in the original post:

seekers.100megs6.com/Vostak-LakeShadows.htm
Link is dead (as is the site).

Last edited by a moderator:
Buried Truths

The Thing by John W. Campbell started it all; then the still-decent movie made from it with James Arness as the carrot-being; then the Kurt Russell remake, not bad at all with the inside-out dogs; then this.

And of course HPL's At the Mountains of Madness underscores all this, itself a continuation inspired by Edgar Allan Poe's The Narrative of A. Gordon Pym.

The Nazis searched for something under the ice, and this latest shadowplay of hints, winks, and nudges is intriguing.

The Antarctic ice is Pandora's Box, of course, and we all ache to open it.

When Martian Microbes are brought back to Earth they will find our planet an inhospitable, hot, corrosive oxidising environment-
except in the icy rocks beneath Antarctica; there they might escape, survive and evolve to compete and eventually replace our current biota.

Not saying it will happen, but it might.

OK - I'm a snippy git!
fatemag.com/article.phtml?id=263
Link is dead. No archived version of the linked webpage found.

Is the link you should have included.

I managed to find this copy of the missing Fate article linked to in the original post:
seekers.100megs6.com/Vostak-LakeShadows.htm
Link is dead (as is the site).

The MIA article was:

Vostok: The Lake of Shadows
Cover Story, FATE Magazine, June 2002
by Scott Corrales

The transcription of this article originally cited in the second quoted post above can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:

http://web.archive.org/web/20030306041557/http://www.seekers.100megs6.com/Vostak-LakeShadows.htm

Back