• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Maiden Castle, Durham

David Plankton

I AM HIM.
Before breaking up for Christmas, I had downloaded quite a few paranormal podcasts to listen to at work. One of them had an interview with Debbie Hatswell who claims she saw a 'British Bigfoot' in Salford when she was younger. (She also used to post on here a few years ago). Years later, she set up a website and gained an online presence and received lots of similar sightings from all over the UK, which had all been entered onto a google style, searchable map.

British Wildman Map - Link.

Later, I took a look at this map and naturally focused on my local patch. Not only were there 'Bigfoot' reports, but all manner of weird creatures listed, footprints and inexplicable noises. In County Durham, there was something going on in Weardale but I can't remember what it said; I was more interested in the account from Durham City itself, where someone claimed to have seen a 'Dog-Man' near Prebends Bridge and later reported this -

I was in a small wooded area known locally as Maiden Castle . I have noticed on numerous occasions , things like broken trees that couldn't be broken by a human being . Camp like structures and sticks randomly placed in and on the ground . I was walking around the part of the wood that looks over the river with a good view of Pelaw Woods , Old Durham Farm and over towards Sherburn Bek and Sherburn House . As I walked , I checked my watch and it was about 3:35 am in June and was fairly light . The dog started barking and jumping about . At first I couldn't see anything as I looked around and then I heard a deep grunt and heavy footsteps . I then saw a large tree shaking as though it was very windy , but it was the only tree moving like this as the weather was mild and not windy . I couldn't see what was making the tree shake or make the grunts and footsteps even though they were getting closer . So I ran and the dog followed me towards the old Whinny Hill school and back into built up area . These events haven't put me off walking early in the morning like this . I am just more curious to what they are .

D1182.jpgScreen Shot 2019-12-28 at 12.34.59jpg.jpg

Maiden Castle is the site of an Iron Age hillfort, quite close to Old Durham Gardens in an area we often take walks. On Sunday the 22nd (Winter Solstice) we were in the vicinity at about 12 noon and both could hear a knocking sound coming from the top of the promontory. Too slow to be a woodpecker, it sounded like someone was hitting a tree with a stick. I remembered the above quote and made a mental note to investigate further at some point.

On Boxing Day, that opportunity arose and we headed out with the sole purpose of climbing this hill. It's densely forested and access on the North, East and South sides, while being possible, would be extremely difficult going as the sides are so steep. There is a path on the West which is not so steep but still quite a climb, so this is the way we went. Before reaching the top there is a ditch, said to be part of ancient defenses but now easily crossed and then you are on the plateau itself.

This, once the site of a small, enclosed village, is probably 150m x 100m in area and like the sides, is heavily forested. We walked along the edge, marveling at the tremendous views on offer but still mindful of the treacherous drop. It was on searching the interior that I discovered the camp-like structures and fallen trees mentioned in the quote. Obviously man-made, I counted five or six of varying sizes, the largest I imagine I could have lain down in but the smallest - and this puzzled me greatly- the smallest of these would barely have had room enough in it for a small dog. Also, the beams that were being used as support on the larger structures were about 8 or 9 inches in diameter and didn't look like they could be easily manoeuvred.

It's such a lonely, hard to reach place, I wondered why anyone would take the trouble. And then I remembered this mysterious case from a few years ago, where a solicitor was found stabbed to death near the foot of the hill in what the police described as a suicide. But they never found the weapon.

Daily Mail Link.

I'm not suggesting he was killed by a British Bigfoot, or even by a ghostly tribe of Iron Age warriors but it's a very strange story.

My pictures from Boxing Day -

Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 12.59.52jpeg.jpgScreen Shot 2019-12-26 at 13.00.11jpeg.jpgScreen Shot 2019-12-26 at 12.59.18jpeg.jpg

Cool map, thanks for posting the link.

Disappointingly there's nothing in my area which is a shame but hopefully other people on here get better luck with wherever they live :)

We have definitely seen shelters like that when we've gone walking in woods/forests, but admittedly never investigated them closely enough to have much knowledge about them.

EDIT: that solicitor chap was stabbed, but they think it was suicide?? And how would he manage to get rid of the weapon... bizarre....

...I remembered this mysterious case from a few years ago, where a solicitor was found stabbed to death near the foot of the hill in what the police described as a suicide. But they never found the weapon.

The report from 15 months after the death states that:

a) Maine “was facing a charge of conspiracy to defraud and under investigation by the Solicitors Regulation Authority following a complaint by a client”, and;

b) “Mr Maine’s body was found...around 40 metres from the site of significant blood drops in the middle of a bridge over the Wear.”

l don’t think we have to invoke a homicidal northern Sasquatch here. Maine stabbed himself, tossed the weapon into the river, then tottered 40m before collapsing from blood loss.

l am wryly amused by the sentence “None of the six knives found in the general area were believed to have been the one used to inflict the fatal injuries...”

maximus otter

Maine stabbed himself, tossed the weapon into the river, then tottered 40m before collapsing from blood loss.

Seems likely, it's just that the river under the bridge is waist-deep at most. It's a good spot to watch fish, the bottom is clearly visible in good weather.
Haven't Durham Constabulary heard of Magnet Fishing?

Screen Shot 2019-12-29 at 08.35.35jpg.jpg

l don’t think we have to invoke a homicidal northern Sasquatch here.

Just want to clarify that
I'm not suggesting he was killed by a British Bigfoot

;)

Does anyone know - is it easy to set up a map like that with the information in the left sidebar? I didn't know you could do that in Google Maps, or is it something more complicated that she's coded? I've got various google maps with lots of points marked and it'd be great to see the associated information like that.

Does anyone know - is it easy to set up a map like that with the information in the left sidebar? I didn't know you could do that in Google Maps, or is it something more complicated that she's coded? I've got various google maps with lots of points marked and it'd be great to see the associated information like that.
We have one or two members of this board who have done something similar.

It was on searching the interior that I discovered the camp-like structures and fallen trees mentioned in the quote. Obviously man-made, I counted five or six of varying sizes, the largest I imagine I could have lain down in but the smallest - and this puzzled me greatly- the smallest of these would barely have had room enough in it for a small dog. Also, the beams that were being used as support on the larger structures were about 8 or 9 inches in diameter and didn't look like they could be easily manoeuvred.

It's such a lonely, hard to reach place, I wondered why anyone would take the trouble.

Thanks for the great pictures and the background information on this area! This looks like a wonderful, quiet place for a walk.

The structures in your pictures look like abandoned shelters put together by homeless people. I've seen many in urban forests. The wooden pallet in one picture is typical of many shelters I've seen. The wood is used to make a frame which is draped with tarps and blankets. If the smallest looking structure wasn't created by the tree limbs settling over time, but were deliberately put together, maybe they were to store food or bags or something. Put yourself in the shoes of someone who feels outcast and doesn't eat well, and is out in all kinds of weather with no reliable protection from the cold and wet. You go where no one will bother you, and put together what you can, without the materials, tools or physical strength available to a comfortable, well fed homeowner.

A few years back I met a foaf who said he'd lived in Epping Forest for a year, this would be around 10 years ago. He had some sort of shelter in an out of the way spot, I think it was one he'd made himself rather than a tent. I suspect he had mental health issues as well as being homeless. He eventually got some sort of accommodation.

A few years back I met a foaf who said he'd lived in Epping Forest for a year, this would be around 10 years ago. He had some sort of shelter in an out of the way spot, I think it was one he'd made himself rather than a tent. I suspect he had mental health issues as well as being homeless. He eventually got some sort of accommodation.
I lived in Epping Forest for some five years. Mind you it was in a house but it was in the forest. And yes I too saw these sort of shelters and on a couple of occasions helped make them.

Before breaking up for Christmas, I had downloaded quite a few paranormal podcasts to listen to at work. One of them had an interview with Debbie Hatswell who claims she saw a 'British Bigfoot' in Salford when she was younger. (She also used to post on here a few years ago). Years later, she set up a website and gained an online presence and received lots of similar sightings from all over the UK, which had all been entered onto a google style, searchable map.

British Wildman Map - Link.

Later, I took a look at this map and naturally focused on my local patch. Not only were there 'Bigfoot' reports, but all manner of weird creatures listed, footprints and inexplicable noises. In County Durham, there was something going on in Weardale but I can't remember what it said; I was more interested in the account from Durham City itself, where someone claimed to have seen a 'Dog-Man' near Prebends Bridge and later reported this -

View attachment 22171View attachment 22172

Maiden Castle is the site of an Iron Age hillfort, quite close to Old Durham Gardens in an area we often take walks. On Sunday the 22nd (Winter Solstice) we were in the vicinity at about 12 noon and both could hear a knocking sound coming from the top of the promontory. Too slow to be a woodpecker, it sounded like someone was hitting a tree with a stick. I remembered the above quote and made a mental note to investigate further at some point.

On Boxing Day, that opportunity arose and we headed out with the sole purpose of climbing this hill. It's densely forested and access on the North, East and South sides, while being possible, would be extremely difficult going as the sides are so steep. There is a path on the West which is not so steep but still quite a climb, so this is the way we went. Before reaching the top there is a ditch, said to be part of ancient defenses but now easily crossed and then you are on the plateau itself.

This, once the site of a small, enclosed village, is probably 150m x 100m in area and like the sides, is heavily forested. We walked along the edge, marveling at the tremendous views on offer but still mindful of the treacherous drop. It was on searching the interior that I discovered the camp-like structures and fallen trees mentioned in the quote. Obviously man-made, I counted five or six of varying sizes, the largest I imagine I could have lain down in but the smallest - and this puzzled me greatly- the smallest of these would barely have had room enough in it for a small dog. Also, the beams that were being used as support on the larger structures were about 8 or 9 inches in diameter and didn't look like they could be easily manoeuvred.

It's such a lonely, hard to reach place, I wondered why anyone would take the trouble. And then I remembered this mysterious case from a few years ago, where a solicitor was found stabbed to death near the foot of the hill in what the police described as a suicide. But they never found the weapon.

Daily Mail Link.

I'm not suggesting he was killed by a British Bigfoot, or even by a ghostly tribe of Iron Age warriors but it's a very strange story.

My pictures from Boxing Day -

View attachment 22173View attachment 22174View attachment 22175
She didn't set the group up, nor did she create the map.

Back