• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Man Leaves London To Die On A Hillside (David Lytton; 2015)

If strychnine causes convulsions, why is there such an emphasis on how the body was laid out?

That was a very nice and comprehensive report. OK, This maybe kinda mundane compared to the other theories, but what if he is a UK citizen who emigrated to Pakistan or India years ago (he is around 70) for some reason (army, work, etc.). After living a life in Pakistan for many years he finds himself alone with no more relatives in the UK or in his adopted country. He may have chronic pain from his injury and be depressed. He obtains poison and decides to die after seeing the UK one last time. He travels home, but has no real direction as he has no ties here and just finds somewhere peaceful to end his life. Not exciting, but I've talked to depressed elderly people before. They don't want to live, don't have a place in or recognize our fast-paced modern world and I could see this as a choice some would make.

Really nice isn't it. Lovely bit of work.
[OT] Ah...online elegance has a downside....in dollars and cents.

https://shorthand.com/pricing/ ....around $1000USD, in singular production costs. Damn, I was already sold on it, up to that point.

(Oh, what a tangled web we weave: when first we practise to conceive
Speech and lunch are never free: especially to likes of you and me)
[/OT]

Obviously I don't want to die but it's going to happen sooner or later .. if it didn't cause pain to my family and loved ones, I can think of worse ways to go if it was in any way a natural death .. R.I.P. whoever you were mate ..

They've worked out who he is!

"The mystery of the man found at Dovestone reservoir has finally been solved, an inquest has heard. The body was found at the Saddleworth beauty spot on December 12, 2015. But GMP have been unable to confirm the identity of the elderly man ... until now. Today, at a short hearing at Heywood coroner's court, he was identified as David Lytton, 68...."
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...eservoir-body-identified-saddleworth-12509772

They've worked out who he is!

"The mystery of the man found at Dovestone reservoir has finally been solved, an inquest has heard. The body was found at the Saddleworth beauty spot on December 12, 2015. But GMP have been unable to confirm the identity of the elderly man ... until now. Today, at a short hearing at Heywood coroner's court, he was identified as David Lytton, 68...."
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...eservoir-body-identified-saddleworth-12509772

Thanks for that...will look futher into this new finding when I have a mo.

And post more please- you have a cool avatar! :)

How is that not elderly?

I just saw the identification announced on the BBC lunchtime news -it'll probably be on their website soon. They have a DNA match with a relative in Pakistan, I think they said...

Elderly is 80 and over - 68 is 'old'.
My Dad is 88 and still resolutely refuses the tag 'elderly'. :rolleyes:
He also doesn't like to be called 'deaf', refusing to get a hearing aid.

Mystery body found on Saddleworth Moor identified

The identity of man whose death sparked worldwide interest after his body was found on Saddleworth Moor has finally been revealed.
David Lytton, 67, from London, was discovered at Dove Stone Reservoir on the moor on 12 December 2015.

A court has heard he flew into London Heathrow from Lahore, Pakistan, two days before his body was found. He was identified from photos from a passenger list and picked up on CCTV in London.

Police believe he took his own life.
Heywood Coroner's Court heard his body was discovered fully clothed and lying prone on the ground above the reservoir.

He had no wallet, mobile phone or other identification and remained unidentified despite numerous public appeals and the release of CCTV footage of his last known movements.

Police had previously confirmed he had died of "strychnine poisoning", which is now used primarily as a pesticide, particularly to kill rats.

etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-38757699

Strychnine poisoning is an especially painful way to die. It strikes me as an odd choice for a suicide by anyone who knew this.
Maybe he didn't?

Exactly, we know the who but now the why. Surely the family would have noticed he was missing?

One question has popped up - what was he doing, living in Pakistan?
Not many Brits living over there, for a variety of reasons.

Elderly is 80 and over - 68 is 'old'.
My Dad is 88 and still resolutely refuses the tag 'elderly'. :rolleyes:

Off-topic it may be, but I had always assumed "elderly" to mean something younger than "old". Synonymous with "oldish", if you will.

Back on-topic, it's nice (not quite the right word, possibly) that this story has been brought to some kind of conclusion.

What's odd is that it's taken over a year to identify him when

A court has heard he flew into London Heathrow from Lahore, Pakistan, two days before his body was found. He was identified from photos from a passenger list and picked up on CCTV in London.

I remember reading about his Pakistan connection months ago - you'd think they would examine recent passenger records as a priority..

Strychnine poisoning is an especially painful way to die. It strikes me as an odd choice for a suicide by anyone who knew this.

People take paracetamol overdoses sometimes, and that's a horrible way to go. It's not as if there's a nice way to go if you're in that much mental anguish.

Well nitrogen, helium or other inert gas asphyxiation is probably the least distressing method (I'd certainly do it this way if it came to it) but would be difficult to manage effectively. Other forms of asphyxiation cause pain and suffering through the choking sensation that comes from the build up of carbon dioxide in your bloodstream but that doesn't happen with inert gases, you just lose consciousness without warning when your oxygen saturation drops.

I would agree, elderly first and then later old.

Back