• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Man Leaves London To Die On A Hillside (David Lytton; 2015)

There is nothing to link him with Saddleworth, though. :huh:

Next to nothing is known about the man so it can't be 100% discredited. Just wondering why he would do something so obviously planned.

By strange coincidence, I was reading earlier about the Welsh writer Alexander Cordell (my Dad was a fan and met him once).
He died at the age of 83 after going for a walk in the mountains in Denbighshire. What would make a man that old get up and go walking in the mountains? Quote from the Wiki article:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Cordell

There are many of us who find a long daily walk to be the best part of life, especially in the wilderness. The American founding father John Adams was always admonishing his adult sons in letters, "Do not neglect your daily walk!" (Quote from memory.) Who wants to die in hospital with tubes up & down all your holes.

David Lytton: Inquest to probe Saddleworth Moor mystery death

The death of a man whose body was found in mysterious circumstances on Saddleworth Moor will be examined at an inquest later.

David Lytton, 67, from London, was discovered at Dove Stone Reservoir in Greater Manchester on 12 December 2015.
It took police more than a year to establish his identity and a "provisional" cause of death was given as "strychnine poisoning".
A full inquest is scheduled to begin at Heywood Coroner's Court at 14:00 GMT.

The death sparked worldwide interest as a police investigation was launched to identify the body of the man, first nicknamed Neil Dovestones by mortuary workers at Royal Oldham Hospital.

etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-39258689

The people at the quarry, do they form an orderly queue on busy days?

You get two kinds of jumpers. One kind break in during operational hours, stand in a prominent spot until they get noticed, then wait as the police/ambulances/managers arrive and spend the next few hours being talked down. The other group break in when the site is closed, get in through a concealed area, then do a running jump straight off the edge.

None of them are pleasant. The first you have to deal with the psychological torture of trying to talk someone down (the H&S manager had to do this once, it absolutely traumatised her. Especially when the guy came back a week later and jumped anyway). In the second, you don't find the body until the next morning, and it's usually the poor innocent bloke opening up who does. From that height, when a body lands it doesn't break, it splatters. Apparently one guy had his intestines several feet away from his body. It's absolutely horrific, and we've had people quit their quarrying careers because they couldn't face going back and seeing the spot where they found the body.

Not much can be done sadly, you can't turn the perimeter into Fort Knox. Thankfully it's uncommon nowadays, because it's awful for everyone involved. Seriously guys, suicide is never the answer :(

The decision to move to Pakistan might suggest an unexpected form of financial planning. His visa problems imply that finance was not his central concern. :huh:
All he had to do was renew his visa, surely?

Maybe it precluded him working in the country? The notion of his retirement nest-egg running out was an idea I floated a while back. If I understood the Guardian piece correctly, his Pakistani friend was living in London at the time of Lytton's final return to the UK.

I have a few scenarios which might fit but this public mystery seems to become ever more private. :(

Very interesting documentary last night, answered a few questions but threw up a whole load more. His fortune was worth hundreds of thousands of pounds, so money was not a problem, though curiously it was all spent a few months after he died, but before he was identified. Why would a white Jewish man move to Pakistan, not a country known for being well-disposed towards that faith, as his brother pointed out? Plus he hated hot weather. And who was sending his brother letters in Lytton's name from California every few months until he died? What happened to his luggage and passport between arriving in Ealing and being found a day later in Oldham? They've vanished.

From what we were told, he was obviously an odd duck, but just how odd is something maybe nobody will be able to fathom. It's almost as if he wanted to leave a mystery. Though one of the investigators said from what she could work out, Lytton did not plan to die on the moor. So why did he?

Weirder and weirder.
So I was wrong about the money situation. Wow. Why would someone deliberately choose to live in Pakistan (of all places)?

I can understand why a Muslim would want to, but an English Jew?

Maybe it precluded him working in the country? The notion of his retirement nest-egg running out was an idea I floated a while back. phenq results after 30 days If I understood the Guardian piece correctly, his Pakistani friend was living in London at the time of Lytton's final return to the UK.

A similar incident happened in Boonton, New Jeresy, USA a couple of years ago and I was trying to search that story on the internet and i stumbled upon this story. And as a matter of fact, both the stories are quite similar. Tragic!

Last edited:
..Why would someone deliberately choose to live in Pakistan (of all places)?..

Apparently life in the villages is not so bad.

INT21

You get two kinds of jumpers. One kind break in during operational hours, stand in a prominent spot until they get noticed, then wait as the police/ambulances/managers arrive and spend the next few hours being talked down. The other group break in when the site is closed, get in through a concealed area, then do a running jump straight off the edge.

None of them are pleasant. The first you have to deal with the psychological torture of trying to talk someone down (the H&S manager had to do this once, it absolutely traumatised her. Especially when the guy came back a week later and jumped anyway). In the second, you don't find the body until happy with the Dbal max results the next morning, and it's usually the poor innocent bloke opening up who does. From that height, when a body lands it doesn't break, it splatters. Apparently one guy had his intestines several feet away from his body. It's absolutely horrific, and we've had people quit their quarrying careers because they couldn't face going back and seeing the spot where they found the body.

Not much can be done sadly, you can't turn the perimeter into Fort Knox. Thankfully it's uncommon nowadays, because it's awful for everyone involved. Seriously guys, suicide is never the answer :(

I really can't imagine how some people accept suicide as their only solution. Suicide demands a lot of courage and why such people can't channelize the courage in the right direction (for solving the problems they're facing) is beyond my imagination.

Last edited:
I really can't imagine how some people accept suicide as their only solution. Suicide demands a lot of courage and why such people can't channelize the courage in the right direction (for solving the problems they're facing) is beyond my imagination.

Because it's a relief when you decide to act. No more worries, no more nagging problems that go on forever. It's a strange kind of peace that hasn't been there for a long, long time Lon.

And I agree - It is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Because it's a relief when you decide to act. No more worries, no more nagging problems that go on forever. It's a strange kind of peace that hasn't been there for a long, long time Lon.

And I agree - It is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

With hindsight, my father did just this. The Christmas before he killed himself (early January) he was more affable and pleasant to be around then, for as long as I could recall. He'd merely made his mind up of course.

It's psychosis. It's not rational.

LonHarrison,

...and why such people can't channelize the courage in the right direction (for solving the problems they're facing)...

May I respectfully suggest that you have never been in a really bad personal situation.

Often it is other people who are not amenable to reason. And they can make life unbearable.

It can take much more strength of will to tolerate indefinitely a situation you can't solve.

INT21

Aye, I've been there. I wasn't anymore irrational than the rest of the time.

re the Title.
That's no way to treat a well-respected city like London!!

Been done already?

:mcoat:

With hindsight, my father did just this. The Christmas before he killed himself (early January) he was more affable and pleasant to be around then, for as long as I could recall. He'd merely made his mind up of course.

I agree with you Coal - I think that he had. I'm sorry if this has brought any painful thoughts back.

We are taught from an early age to never drop that bundle, aren't we - to just rest it for a while...It is such a relief though, a lightness of being to accept that you can finally.

I have seen it in animals eyes that needed to be put down after prolonged struggles through terrible conditions - a gratitude.

I'm sure that there's more to this life than the suggested day to day existence - we sometimes get a hint of it when one of those fleet footed thoughts runs across the periphery of our awareness, leaving us slightly disconsolate because we don't know if it's our imagination, or a hint of what's to come...

I agree with you Coal - I think that he had. I'm sorry if this has brought any painful thoughts back.
Meh. It's not pleasant, perhaps inevitably, but I'd so long given up any notion of a good relationship with him, it didn't really feel like much more than another instance of not really taking any interest. Mrs Coal, sage woman, asked me how I felt about it at the time. I said something along the lines of not feeling as upset as I should be. She firmly pointed out that "You feel how you feel and that second guessing it with notions of how you ought to feel and then feeling bad about not feeling how you ought to feel, well that's just daft". She had a point. :hoff:

Meh. It's not pleasant, perhaps inevitably, but I'd so long given up any notion of a good relationship with him, it didn't really feel like much more than another instance of not really taking any interest. Mrs Coal, sage woman, asked me how I felt about it at the time. I said something along the lines of not feeling as upset as I should be. She firmly pointed out that "You feel how you feel and that second guessing it with notions of how you ought to feel and then feeling bad about not feeling how you ought to feel, well that's just daft". She had a point. :hoff:

Mrs Coal sounds like a right canny Lass coal.

Back