• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Man Sues Apple: "iPhone Turned Me Gay"

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Perhaps more accurately, it was the gay-themed cryptocurrency that set him on his road to same-sex experimentation ...
Moscow man suing Apple because his iPhone turned him gay

A Moscow man is convinced his iPhone has turned him gay.

As a result, the man, identified only as D. Razumilov in court papers, is suing Apple for 1 million rubles ($20,400) because his smartphone app delivered him 69 GayCoins, not the Bitcoin cryptocurrency he expected, along with a message in English that said “don’t judge without trying.”

Razumilov apparently agreed with that statement and started having gay sex, only to discover his life has “changed for the worse,” according to a report in the Moscow Times.

“I thought, indeed, how can I judge something without trying it? And decided to try same-sex relationships,” he wrote, according to court papers. “I can say after the passage of two months that I’m mired in intimacy with a member of my own sex and can’t get out. I have a steady boyfriend and I don’t know how to explain it to my parents. ...

In his lawsuit, which has not been proven in court, Razumilov alleges that Apple has been “manipulatively pushing me toward homosexuality” after he downloaded the cryptocurrency app, which sent him the GayCoins, in 2017. He is suing due to “moral suffering and harm to mental health.”

Razumilov’s lawyer, Sapizhat Gusnieva, said her client believes Apple “has a responsibility for their programs” even though the app was created by a third party. She said the case is “serious” and her client is “scared.”

Razumilov’s court hearing is scheduled for Oct. 17 in Moscow.
SOURCE: https://torontosun.com/news/weird/m...-gay/wcm/5b0203db-1ce7-4c56-bad5-e14834331d11

Onion on the verge of collapse.jpg

Yes. When the social cost of coming out is so high (even murder is a significant fear for gay people in Russia) you're more likely to come up with some dumb story if you get caught.

Mmmm... this story has gone from something absurd and funny to a horrible example of how desperate people can become when they feel their existence is threatened.

Much the same went through my head, though isn't he making things worse for himself in generating all this publicity?

The level of publicity isn't down to him. It's more likely that the media/tabloids took up the story because it's everything a populist press likes most - racy, dangerous, human interest, a legal aspect, the involvement of a major worldwide manufacturer and so on.

It's naive to assume that ordinary people can create publicity or become well-known on their own terms. You need a canny agent for that.

The level of publicity isn't down to him. It's more likely that the media/tabloids took up the story because it's everything a populist press likes most - racy, dangerous, human interest, a legal aspect, the involvement of a major worldwide manufacturer and so on.

It's naive to assume that ordinary people can create publicity or become well-known on their own terms. You need a canny agent for that.

As @pandacracker says above, we don't know the full story. Things can be difficult enough for people who are gay in Britain in 2019, let alone Russia. He may well be trying to extricate himself from trouble for being different in Russia. I know little about generating publicity or suing people, but I'd imagine once a court is approached, things have to be made public - the case being announced etc and sooner or later the press will get hold of it, or even some random youtuber/"influencer", if he's trying to escape danger I hope this situation doesn't make him even more at risk.

Back