• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Man Vanishes from Airplane in Flight (Jerrold Potter; 1968)

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Speaking of which, sorry for the block of near-undigestible text, but it saves me typing it out:

http://www.wintersteel.com/Unexplained_ ... nchor_1010
On June 29, 1968, the Purdue Aviation Corporation charter flight was carrying 23 passengers from Kankakee, Illinois to a national Lion's Club convention in Dallas, Texas. It was a clear summer day without a cloud in the sky. Somewhere over Rolla, Missouri, Jerrold I. Potter excused himself to use the restroom and proceeded to make his way to the rear tail section of the plane. Mrs. Potter watched her husband walk down the aisle as he stopped to briefly chat with James Schaive, president of a Lion's Club in Ottawa, Illinios. She then turned to watch the beautiful scenery below. She never saw her husband again, dead OR alive. After a few minutes the plane seemed to shudder for only a few seconds and as it seemed to be only passing turbulence, no one paid it much attention. But when Mr. Potter hadn't returned after what had seemed an undue length of time Mrs. Potter grew concerned. She asked a stewardess to please check the lavatory for her husband. At about the same time, pilot Miguel Raul Cabeza noticed one of the "DOOR OPEN" warning lights was flashing. He asked the co-pilot Roy Bacus to investigate. Not wanting to cause concern among the passengers, Bacus calmly walked to the rear of the plane. On the way, the same stewardess Mrs. Potter had spoken with informed Mr. Bacus a passenger may be missing. The co-pilot surveyed the rear and found that indeed the exit door near the lavatory was slightly ajar, the same door the flashing warning light had indicated. Since the DC-3 wasn't pressurized, the cracked door hadn't caused any noticeable problems. Mr. Bacus found a chain used to keep the emergency door closed lying on the ground. He then reported his findings to the captain who speculated that when the plane was shaken, Mr. Potter had probably fallen against the door and when the safety chain broke, fallen out of the aircraft. But in a later report, it was noted that just because the chain had broken, the cumbersome emergency door handle still needed to be turned 180 degrees, and while this particular door handle was often a little harder to budge than the other hatchways, it would have been even harder to open in flight. No one had seen Mr. Potter fall, nor did they hear a scream or even any kind of commotion. One person said, "..it was as if he just vanished. One minute he was there, the next he was gone." Did Mr. Potter commit suicide then? Friends and family firmly rule that possibility out. He was, by all accounts, a happy person with a comfortable life and good friends. So what DID happen to Jerrold I. Potter? After making the discovery of the chain, the captain requsted permission to land, and did so in Springfield, Missouri. An intensely thorough search was made for Mr. Potter along the DC-3's flight path, but his body was never found, nor were any clues as to what might have happened.

According to Into Thin Air, the door he might have fallen out of lifted up from its hinge at the top, making it even more difficult to open accidentally. Besides, it had a large warning stencilled on it ("DO NOT OPEN WHILE IN FLIGHT"), so it was unmistakeably the door for the exit. If it wasn't an accident, maybe he wanted to admire the view? A short yet fatal bout of madness?

Though the details of what happened remain a source of speculation, there's little doubt as to where he went (i.e., out the entry / exit doorway).

It's interesting to note how the more lurid accounts of this story omit certain mundane tidbits that diminish the strangeness recyclers seemingly wish to emphasize.

Here (below) is the contemporary report from the Chicago Tribune.

5b33fceac52df.image.jpg

SOURCE: https://www.pantagraph.com/news/loc...cle_b7936c89-f979-5835-a528-0248a256a514.html
(Slideshow accompanying the article)

Consider the following points from this news item that later versions would downplay or fail to mention:

- Another passenger described a "loud noise" and a "rush of air", as well as stating the door came open.

- The same passenger stated an aircrew member shut an intermediate door to counteract the air pressure effect(s) from the door's opening.

- An external witness (the farmer) reported the plane was (presumably subsequently) flying with the "ramp door down" (i.e., fully open in its drop-down position).

The OP's account (post #1) makes it seem like no one on board immediately knew the door had opened at all, and that it was discovered merely ajar. This version describes a significant blow-out effect apparent to everyone and a door fully opened / down.

At least we know the how, if not the why (and probably never will). Is it odd that his body was never found?

That is terribly tragic, and how awful for his poor wife - and for him if it was indeed an accidental opening of the door.

I agree it does seem odd that his body wasn't found; especially when they know the flight path so presumably there isn't a huge margin of error for where a falling body could end up? (This is me assuming it falls pretty much straight down as opposed to being buffeted by wind, but that's as much as I know - or want to know, really!)

It's awful how the reports make it sound much more mysterious than it needs to be, though.

... Is it odd that his body was never found?

I don't think it's all that odd. The probable area of his fall is rural, and large portions of it lie within the Mark Twain National Forest. Much of the area is forested or undeveloped, with lots of hills, ravines, bluffs, streams, etc.

The biggest problem is this ... To have any chance of determining his likely landing area, you have to know two key things - the exact time he exited the moving airplane and the exact location of the airplane at that moment. Neither of these things were, or even could be, known in 1968. There was no GPS support, radars of the era indicated only general locations, charter flights such as this one need not have slavishly followed established routes, and there's no mention of a precise time for his apparent exit.

RE: SZ's queries ...

No - he would not, and could not, have fallen straight down. A flailing human shape is not aerodynamically clean, and there was circa 8,000 feet of distance within which his body could have vectored in most any lateral direction on the way down. In any case, the momentum imparted by the plane's forward speed wouldn't have permitted a simple vertical trajectory.

I agree it does seem odd that his body wasn't found; especially when they know the flight path so presumably there isn't a huge margin of error for where a falling body could end up?

According to a Quora answer (from which l can’t copy & paste, for some reason), a skydiver can travel about a quarter to a half mile from his exit point from the plane.

Factor in the uncertainties of pre-GPS navigation and flight path, varying winds, lack of knowledge as to exactly when Potter opened the door and so on, and the failure to find his body becomes very understandable.

maximus otter

I've read on (reddit?) a couple of similar (recent) tales but not authenticated as in the news report above. This also reminds me of the case of Alfred Loewenstein in 1928!

Was in the right hand seat of a Cessna Aerobat doing aerobatics at about 3000 ft
when the door came open, quite a bang didn't half jump, wearing full harness
so could not go anywhere but still a shock.

Speaking of which, sorry for the block of near-undigestible text, but it saves me typing it out:

http://www.wintersteel.com/Unexplained_ ... nchor_1010

According to Into Thin Air, the door he might have fallen out of lifted up from its hinge at the top, making it even more difficult to open accidentally. Besides, it had a large warning stencilled on it ("DO NOT OPEN WHILE IN FLIGHT"), so it was unmistakeably the door for the exit. If it wasn't an accident, maybe he wanted to admire the view? A short yet fatal bout of madness?

Mistaking a main exit door for the toilet door still happens today:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...after-passenger-mistakes-exit-for-toilet-door

Doesn't suicide seem a likely explanation?

In the 1968 Potter case - I'd say 'no'.

There's more background data suggestive of personal stressors motivating suicide or disappearance in the 1928 Loewenstein case.

Mistaking a main exit door for the toilet door still happens today:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...after-passenger-mistakes-exit-for-toilet-door

Blimey, that's up-to-date!

If it's because of this -
Officials in Pakistan blamed a shortage of airline staff for allowing the emergency exit door to be opened
does that mean there's normally a steward stationed in front of the door to stop it being opened by mistake?

There was a serious fire at Manchester Airport some years ago in a plane still on the ground. One assumes the exits are kept unlocked in case that happens again so they'd need to be guarded.

It was a DC3 a Dakota non pressurised and not at all like a modern pressurised aircraft were
the doors are plug doors and cant be opened once the aircraft is pressurized.

Back