• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Manbeast DNA Investigations & Discoveries Incl Sykes, Ketchum

And this from 2017.

So much for the abominable snowman. Study finds that ‘yeti’ DNA belongs to bears
By Sid PerkinsNov. 28, 2017 , 7:01 PM

Hikers in Tibet and the Himalayas need not fear the monstrous yeti—but they’d darn well better carry bear spray. DNA analyses of nine samples purported to be from the “abominable snowman” reveal that eight actually came from various species of bears native to the area.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/201...le-snowman-study-finds-yeti-dna-belongs-bears
Yes, I read that, too.

However, the really glaring omission is what the DNA of the 9th sample indicates. Anyone have any idea? To trumpet that 8 out of 9 samples were not of an unknown species as if that was the entire story is deplorable.

All or most of the non-scholarly, popular press stories I have read in the past 10 years about DNA analyses all have this pesky omission problem (but of course Ms Ketchum the US veterinarian who claimed evidence of animals from different taxonomic families mating successfully to produce Yetis does not help). In any case, the bar for scepticism is set very low. And some still trip over it. Just like the bar for true believers in yetis and other anomalous topics.

Surprising DNA Found During Bigfoot Investigation
Jocelyne LeBlancMarch 8, 2021
A little over a year ago, I wrote an article about researchers from the television series Expedition Bigfoot who captured a very interesting thermal video of what appeared to be a large ape-like/bipedal creature walking around in the woods.

More recent findings revealed compelling evidence with very surprising DNA results. During their time in the wilderness of Kentucky’s Appalachian highlands, the team collected eDNA (environmental DNA) from soil found beneath a large tree structure.

After extensive analysis of the eDNA with software called metabar coding that matches the DNA sequences to thousands of known genomes, Miroslava Munguia Ramos, who is the project manager at the UCLA California Environmental DNA program, revealed the results, “…yes, we have detected human DNA in these areas, but we’re still seeing different primate DNA. There wasn’t just one human primate, there are several different primates, some sort of primate relative that exists in the data.”

etc

https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2021/03/surprising-dna-found-during-bigfoot-investigation/

Surely eDNA will ultimately solve this mystery once and for all, although I suspect it will take many years to come to fruition. Does anyone have any idea of how the tech is progressing?

Surely eDNA will ultimately solve this mystery once and for all, although I suspect it will take many years to come to fruition. Does anyone have any idea of how the tech is progressing?
The TV documentary series Expedition Bigfoot had some interesting results
“We received soil samples from your team and took a few months to get them processed. What we’re looking at are the unique organisms that we were able to identify. Our software does what’s known as metabar coding. So, it’ll match up all the DNA sequences that we were able to detect and try to cross reference them with the thousands of genomes that have been published and it’s pretty common that when we’re looking at environmental DNA samples, we detect humans, because there’s going be human traces almost everywhere.”
“But what I found very interesting was that, yes, we have detected human DNA in these areas, but we’re still seeing different primate DNA. There wasn’t just one human primate, there are several different primates, some sort of primate relative that exists in the data.”
“Pan troglodyte is a species of chimpanzee, which you would not see in the areas you’re at. It’s a real head scratcher. It’s important to note that the higher the detection, the more confidence we can say that whatever organism, whatever taxonomy we’re looking at was apparent in the area. And in this case, we’re looking at the Pan genus, or the chimpanzee genus…. there’s 3000 reads.”
“The technology is constantly improving, it’s getting more accurate, and now it just really comes down to making sure we have enough samples and we’re confident that whatever we’re studying is a unique species.”

https://press.discoveryplus.com/par...-investigation-yields-unexpected-dna-results/

The TV documentary series Expedition Bigfoot had some interesting results

https://press.discoveryplus.com/par...-investigation-yields-unexpected-dna-results/
I have to ask, having seen quite a few 'bigfoot expeditions' on tv where samples have been collected and analysed, coming back as 'unknown', do all of the 'unknown' samples match each other or are they all different? Do they cross reference them with other samples collected on these expeditions? The results may tell us if it is one creature or many different creatures.

I have to ask, having seen quite a few 'bigfoot expeditions' on tv where samples have been collected and analysed, coming back as 'unknown', do all of the 'unknown' samples match each other or are they all different? Do they cross reference them with other samples collected on these expeditions? The results may tell us if it is one creature or many different creatures.
I get the feeling that they all want to be first to find anything so sharing would be the last thing they do.

stu edit - redundant link removed

I really don't think it's that simple mate.

I've copied and moved some posts from the main Bigfoot thread to this one. Please keep DNA discussions to this thread.

Good point and how many "unknowns" are incomplete or contaminated or faulty in some way?

Good point and how many "unknowns" are incomplete or contaminated or faulty in some way?

It’s all a matter of perspective.

1616195726402-A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back