• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Manbeast DNA Investigations & Discoveries Incl Sykes, Ketchum

Still, how the hell did it get to the Himalayas?

The crew of a UFO abducted it, flew into one of the holes at the poles, cruised through the hollow earth, popped up in Shambhala.
Obviously!
:D

It's probably a really ancient sample (10,000 to 40,000 years old). Maybe polar bears were more widespread round the world then? And maybe the thick white fur is a more recent evolutionary adaptation?

http://forteanzoology.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/error-in-sykes-paper.html

Moder polar bear, not ancient polar bear hair. Still, how the hell did it get to the Himalayas? Also, polar bears, in no way, resemble yetis.
Well, if you go with the theory that brown/black bears have been mistaken for sasquatch, then a white bear mistaken for something similar to a white sasquatch would be reasonable.

I know that doesn't answer the question of why polar bear hair was in the Himalayas. While gyrtrash above posted the alien theory, I'll go with nazi scientists in WW2 looking for Shambhala brought polar bears with them to scare away curious locals. ;)

I would have said that a polar bear could very easily resemble a yeti when rearing up or in conditions of less than optimal visibility.

Well, if you go with the theory that brown/black bears have been mistaken for sasquatch, then a white bear mistaken for something similar to a white sasquatch would be reasonable.

Yeti aren't white, though.

How do we know this? There may be a lot of colour variation, as with people.

There may be, but that's not relevant. We know of the yeti through sightings and local lore, and neither contain 'reliable' accounts of a white yeti. It's just not the usual colour of a yeti. I suppose there could be brown polar bears, too, that we haven't regularly seen, but you wouldn't say that in the right conditions a brown cow could be mistaken for a polar bear, just because there might be such a thing as a brown polar bear. And my understanding at the time was that the hairs analysed weren't white, either.

I think I've had this discussion with someone before on the FTMB.
Unless it's just deja vu.

There may be, but that's not relevant. We know of the yeti through sightings and local lore, and neither contain 'reliable' accounts of a white yeti. It's just not the usual colour of a yeti. I suppose there could be brown polar bears, too, that we haven't regularly seen, but you wouldn't say that in the right conditions a brown cow could be mistaken for a polar bear, just because there might be such a thing as a brown polar bear. And my understanding at the time was that the hairs analysed weren't white, either.
So we have non-white hairs coming back as polar bear, which is interesting in and of itself. The hairs deserve more research, not the least of which into how polar bear hair came from the Himalayas.

Perhaps someone slipped some non white polar bear hair (presuming polar bears have some hair that is not white somewhere) into the samples as some sort of control or test of the procedures?

Last edited:
So we have non-white hairs coming back as polar bear, which is interesting in and of itself. The hairs deserve more research, not the least of which into how polar bear hair came from the Himalayas.

Perhaps someone slipped some non white polar bear hair (presuming polar bears have some hair that is not white somewhere) into the samples as some sort of control or test of the procedures?
Dunno! But it's only my ageing memory that says the hairs were not white. But I'm pretty certain that it's only the popular western perception that says yeti are white, perhaps influenced by the 'abominable snowman' epithet. But, whether white or otherwise, polar bear hairs in the Himalayas raises questions.

There are some animals that change colour according to the seasons (e.g. the Snowshoe Hare):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowshoe_hare

Suppose the Yeti (or even the polar bear) has that seasonal adaptation?

:D Perhaps it does. Perhaps it changes through shades of brown, red, orange and white throughout the year. Perhaps it has a larval form that resembles a fifteen legged tarantula. Perhaps it comes from Pluto. Maybe it has a profound understanding of radio commercials. But nobody has ever reported any of that, nor that it's white. If one finds white hairs in the Himalayas, one shouldn't automatically think ',yeti,' since we have no reason whatsoever to think yeti are ever white. Nor should one reasonably think, 'polar bear,' since we have no reason to think there would be polar bears in the Himalayas. until now, at least. I would like to find out, actually, whether the hairs were white. My understanding was that the ancient bear to which the hairs were originally thought to belong was also not regarded as white.

:D Perhaps it does. Perhaps it changes through shades of brown, red, orange and white throughout the year. Perhaps it has a larval form that resembles a fifteen legged tarantula. Perhaps it comes from Pluto. Maybe it has a profound understanding of radio commercials.

:D:D:D:D:D

They would be if they were covered in snow.
I assume the top scientists, the really thorough ones, at the top of their game, brush the snow off putative yeti hairs before subjecting them to genetic examination. ;)

The yeti is not white. Its black or brown. There has never, to my knowlage, been a report of a white yeti in Asia. The sasquatch is said to have a white colour morph but not the yeti.

Do you think the Yeti and the Sasquatch may be completely separate types of creatures (i.e. only distantly related)?

The yeti is not white. Its black or brown. There has never, to my knowlage, been a report of a white yeti in Asia. The sasquatch is said to have a white colour morph but not the yeti.
That's irony for ya!

The hair of a Polar bear has no pigment/colour, I was led to believe. Each hair shaft is pigment-free and transparent with a hollow core that scatters and reflects visible light.

As for the Yeti, I'll choose to believe in them, just for the mystery value

The larger type of yeti (there appears to be three distinct types) may be closely related to the North American sasquatch.

Same here! Has a yeti ever had its big toe stuck in a bath tap? There's a mystery for the ages.

How do we know this?
From reports and from the natives themselves who insist there are thre distinct types. The teh-lma is 3-4 feet tall and sounds akin to the orang-pendek, the mi-teh is man sized and may be a mainland orang-utan or orang-utan relation and the massive dze-teh wich is up to ten feet and may be a surviving stran of Gigantopithecus or something like it.

Back