• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Manmade Climate Change: The Deeper Agenda

Not really wanting to get involved in this particular "debate", but it's undeniably true that certain Wiki pages can become colonised by one prevailing view. This isn't necessarily wrong, but it can be misleading when issues are complex and one side is under-represented. The skeptical view of AGW - which ought really to still be the mainstream position, given the lack of confirming data - is horribly understated on the pages devoted to it on Wiki. And this reflects a popular bias, not a scientific position.

Poptech said:
kamalktk said:
As I said, you seem to prefer sources which only you can edit, instead of a source repeatedly shown to be highly accurate, but which you do not control.
Wikipedia has never been shown to be highly accurate
You mean other than all the studies cited above?

This is a central problem here, you only accept citations you wrote. The apparent reason is that other sources disagree with you.

You do seem to value Encyclopedia Britannica. However, I have also cited that Encyclopedia Britannica disagrees with your thesis of global warming, and again since you did not address it http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/235402/global-warming. Remember, you are the one to have stated that Encyclopedia Britannica is highly accurate.

AngelAlice said:
Not really wanting to get involved in this particular "debate", but it's undeniably true that certain Wiki pages can become colonised by one prevailing view. This isn't necessarily wrong, but it can be misleading when issues are complex and one side is under-represented. The skeptical view of AGW - which ought really to still be the mainstream position, given the lack of confirming data - is horribly understated on the pages devoted to it on Wiki. And this reflects a popular bias, not a scientific position.
The wikipedia page is quite long and comprehensive, with nearly 250 citations. Perhaps you can improve it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming_controversy

kamalktk said:
AngelAlice said:
The wikipedia page is quite long and comprehensive, with nearly 250 citations. Perhaps you can improve it?

I'm not disputing the citation. Both sides can claim citation. I'm just saying one side of the argument is under-represented on Wiki is all.

I'm pretty sure lots of people have tried to even it up - but in Wiki Wars the victory can tend to go to the more numerous and persistent rather than the most fair-minded can't it.

AngelAlice said:
kamalktk said:
AngelAlice said:

I'm not disputing the citation. Both sides can claim citation. I'm just saying one side of the argument is under-represented on Wiki is all.

I'm pretty sure lots of people have tried to even it up - but in Wiki Wars the victory can tend to go to the more numerous and persistent rather than the most fair-minded can't it.
Ok, because the controversy page is both longer and with more citations than the warming page itself. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming. Does this mean the "more numerous and persistent rather than the most fair-minded" are those that support controversy?

I find it highly amusing the Britannica's self defense amounts to "we don't have to be accurate".

kamalktk said:
AngelAlice said:
kamalktk said:
AngelAlice said:

Ok, because the controversy page is both longer and with more citations than the warming page itself. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming. Does this mean the "more numerous and persistent rather than the most fair-minded" are those that support controversy?

I don't get what the controversy is - everyone can see the skeptical side isn't equally represented on Wiki. if you think that's justified then fine, but it's still obviously true.

AngelAlice said:

I don't get what the controversy is - everyone can see the skeptical side isn't equally represented on Wiki. if you think that's justified then fine, but it's still obviously true.
That's probably true. The Tobacco industry's bullshit artists probably get a thin time of it, too.

AngelAlice said:
kamalktk said:
AngelAlice said:
kamalktk said:
AngelAlice said:

They have a longer, and more sourced article, and this is lack of equal representation? :? There's obviously no pleasing some people.

But anyway, since Wikipedia is open to editing, you should remedy the situation to your satisfaction. If you don't, you're simply contributing to the suppression you decry through your lack of action. And then we're forced to ask why?

Wikipedia is not very accurate.

I don't presume to edit it on Global Warming, but on some subjects that I do know about and can cross check facts, it has a tendency to error. And its very difficult to get errors permanently corrected since in the internet age there is a tendency to cite other internet sources also in error. In some cases I've checked back reports of certain events against original official reports and been 'unedited' on the basis of some second-hand or tabloid newspaper source elsewhere. There is clear evidence of some editors using Wikipedia to promote a point of view by inserting dubious 'facts' into otherwise unremarkable articles - it takes a lot of time and determination - more than I have of either - for a neutral person to keep putting things back to the known verified facts. I repeat, I'm not talking about the Global Warming articles, just making a point about some areas that I do know about and have access to considerable research.

I have nothing whatsoever against speculation or alternative interpretations as long as the points of issue are clearly brought into the open - for someone who reads Wikipedia without a certain degree of caution this is a potential trap. I'd rather see it have a more open attitude to debate and more commonly have a section in its articles on 'controversies' or 'disputes'. It would make its coverage of Fortean issues better, for a start.

ExxonMobil CEO says burning fossil fuels is warming the planet. And Exxon authors and peer reviews some IPCC papers? Uh oh. Exxon's also part of "deeper agenda"?

http://thetyee.ca/Blogs/TheHook/Environment/2012/06/28/exxon-fossil-fuel-adapt-climate/

direct link to speech http://www.cfr.org/united-states/new-north-american-energy-paradigm-reshaping-future/p28630
"So I'm not disputing that increasing CO2 emissions in the atmosphere is going to have an impact. It'll have a warming impact. "

"TILLERSON: Well, let me -- let me say that we have studied that issue and continue to study it as well. We are and have been long-time participants in the IPCC panels. We author many of the IPCC subcommittee papers, and we peer-review most of them."

Myth-busting climate change website wins global award
http://phys.org/news/2012-07-myth-busti ... award.html
July 5th, 2012 in Space & Earth / Environment

(Phys.org) -- Myths circulating online about climate change cause misplaced apathy or alarm. A website built to be the antidote has won a major global award for a team from the University of Southampton.

Globe-Town.org won third prize in the first international 'Apps for Climate' competition (#Apps4Climate) held by the World Bank, presented at a ceremony in Washington DC. By opening up the facts of climate change in different countries, Globe-Town shows how no one is isolated from the consequences in an interdependent world. The site also reveals how responding to climate change presents a world of opportunities to inspire individuals and entrepreneurs.

The application was conceived by web science and sustainability researcher Jack Townsend and developed with a team including four other PhD students from the Web Science Doctoral Training Centre in Southampton's prestigious department of Electronics and Computer Science (ECS).

It was funded by the Research Councils UK Digital Economy Theme which is led by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council.

Jack says: "The World Health Organisation has estimated that climate change is killing 150,000 people a year. In order to tackle this challenge, we all need to know how it affects us personally and what we can do about it. Globe-Town does this by connecting the global with the local, so we can explore the risks, responsibilities and opportunities of climate change in an increasingly interconnected world."

Globe-Town is an easy-to-use web application where people can learn about each country's environment, society and economy, so they can understand the challenges and opportunities that it faces in a changing world.

Moreover, they can explore the connections between countries through relationships such as trade, migration or air travel. Stories can then emerge of how climate risks can be transmitted between distant countries, for instance the impact of the 2011 Thai floods on the Japanese economy.
Similarly, the user can learn about shared responsibility for greenhouse gas emissions through the things we import, or opportunities to act to mitigate and to adapt, such as investing in renewable energy projects abroad.

Jack continues: "I'm fascinated by the potential of web technologies and openness to tackle global challenges and advance sustainable development for all. "Globe-Town is just one example of how they can contribute."

Provided by Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council

"Myth-busting climate change website wins global award." July 5th, 2012. http://phys.org/news/2012-07-myth-busti ... award.html

Scientist who saw drowned polar bears reprimanded
September 29th, 2012 in Other Sciences / Other

(AP)—An Alaska scientist whose observations of drowned polar bears helped galvanize the global warming movement has been reprimanded for improper release of government documents.

An Interior Department official said emails released by Charles Monnett were cited by a federal appeals court in decisions to vacate approval by the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management of an oil and gas company's Arctic exploration plan.

The official, Walter Cruickshank, deputy director of BOEM, said in a memo that an inspector general's investigation contained findings that Monnett had improperly disclosed internal government documents, which he said were later used against the agency in court. He also said the investigation made other findings in regards to Monnett's conduct, but he wasn't taking action on those. He would not specify those findings.

Cruickshank called Monnett's "misconduct very serious," and said any future misconduct may lead to more severe discipline, including removal from federal service.

Monnett was briefly suspended last year during an inspector general's investigation into a polar bear research contract he managed. The inspector general's report, which was released Friday, said its investigation was set off by a complaint from an unidentified Interior Department employee who alleged that Monnett wrongfully released government records and that he and another scientist, Jeffrey Gleason, intentionally omitted or used false data in an article they wrote on polar bears. During that investigation, authorities also looked into the procurement issue.

Jeff Ruch, executive director of the advocacy group Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility, which has been involved in the matter on Monnett's behalf, said Friday that the issue of the document release did not even come up in investigators' questioning of Monnett.

He called the outcome "completely unexpected," and said Monnett is confused by it.

PEER, in a news release, said the email disclosure had nothing to do with polar bear research but that it embarrassed the agency.

"We think he's owed an apology, but we're not going to hold our breath until he gets one," Ruch said.

Federal investigators had said that Monnett helped a polar bear researcher prepare a proposal even though he was the government official who determined whether the proposal met minimum qualifications. PEER has said that Monnett's handling of the study was proper and that Monnett, instead, was being targeted for a 2006 article on drowned polar bears.

The article was based on observations that Monnett and Gleason made in 2004 while conducting an aerial survey of bowhead whales. They saw four dead polar bears floating in the water after a storm.

In the article, they said they were reporting, to the best of their knowledge, the first observations of the bears floating dead and presumed drowned while apparently swimming long distances. They wrote that while polar bears are considered strong swimmers, long-distance swims may exact a greater metabolic toll than standing or walking on ice in better weather.

They said their findings suggested that drowning-related deaths of polar bears may increase in the future "if the observed trend of regression of pack ice and/or longer open water periods continues."

The article and related presentations helped to make the polar bear a symbol for the global warming movement.

According to the inspector general's report, investigators found that Monnett and Gleason used an incomplete database as their primary source of information to write the article, made conflicting statements to investigators regarding the writing and editing process and understated data in the manuscript. However, they found that the article had "little or no impact" on a federal decision to extend special protections to polar bears under the Endangered Species Act, according to the report.

A BOEM spokeswoman, Theresa Eisenman, said the findings in the report do not support a conclusion that the scientists involved engaged in "scientific misconduct."

Monnett's reprimand could be removed from his record in two years or less.
Ruch said Monnett has been told he will return to scientific work.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.

"Scientist who saw drowned polar bears reprimanded." September 29th, 2012.
http://phys.org/news/2012-09-scientist- ... anded.html

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2012/11/12/b ... ow-public/

Note the number of lobbyists vs the number of actual scientists. Note also the connections with the Climategate emails, which make even more sense read in this context. This was the group that decided, as far as the BBC was concerned, that the BBC was justified in regarding any opponents of AGW as - I forget the word they used, but wild-eyed lunatics would not be far different.

I am aware that Watts Up itself is from one side of the argument, there is no need to point that out.

Who gives a flying shit?

Now that the US has decided to exploit every available fossil resource in its race to eco-collapse and China set to become the World's biggest economy, nothing will stop Global Warming and every indication is that the models actually underplayed the amount of warming.

http://www.independent.co.uk/enviro...s-may-rise-6c-by-2100-says-study-8281272.html

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/20...uel-boom-is-a-climate-disaster-in-the-making/

The World is royally screwed and humanity is too greedy and stupid to to deal with it.

Totally agree with you.....the human race is a greedy distructive and just plain nasty bunch.....

what we leave behind for our children in 100 years to clean up beggers belief !!!

Jonfairway said:
what we leave behind for our children in 100 years to clean up beggers belief !!!

I'm yet to be convinced we have that long left anyway.

Sergeant_Pluck said:
Jonfairway said:

I'm yet to be convinced we have that long left anyway.

Yeah, we might suffer the collapse ourselves.

We are leaving emissions cuts too late
21 November 2012

EMISSIONS are still way too high to stop dangerous climate change, warns a new report from the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).

To stop the Earth warming more than 2 °C above preindustrial levels, global emissions must peak at 44 gigatonnes in 2020 and then fall. However, the report says that 2020 emissions are likely to be between 8 to 13 gigatonnes higher. This range is calculated on how well or not countries deliver on their pledges to cut emissions. So in the best-case scenario, where everyone meets their targets, emissions are still 8 Gt too high.

This "emissions gap" has grown: first estimates by UNEP in 2010 put it at between 5 and 9 Gt.

Unless drastic action is taken soon, we are likely to see a 4 °C rise this century, warns Simon Anderson at the International Institute for Environment and Development in Edinburgh, UK.

A report from the World Bank, also published this week, paints a stark picture of a 4 °C warmer world riven by severe heatwaves, floods and droughts. "It will be absolutely catastrophic for certain parts of the world," Anderson says.
By delaying emissions cuts, the world is simply deciding to pay more for them later, he says

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2 ... -late.html

http://isthereglobalcooling.com/

There is no science in this, just numbers. And the numbers - the un-manipulated numbers - do not support the AGW hypothesis. So what is the purpose of the AGW conspiracy?

If a scientist convinces himself there is a Giant Spaghetti Monster, does that make the existence of the Giant Spaghetti Monster a scientific fact?

Due to personal experiences, I'm religious. Does that entitle me to scoff at people that point out there is no hard evidence for religion? Of course not. I can only point out that as they have not had my experiences then they should respect my different conclusion. In the case of the AGW hypothesis, it is not based on experience but alleged facts. When those facts are shown to be erroneous, selective or manipulated - as they have been - the hypothesis should fall. What is the motivation behind those keeping it alive?

It's a good question, Cochise.

It could be that it's all been done to enable a new form of money-making for the elite few. Carbon trading, that's what I'm talking about. It's a big racket, and it'll get bigger.

Another dimension to this is that both carbon trading and hobbling of Western industry with a green agenda seems set up to siphon wealth from wealthy countries to poorer countries. I don't quite know how this would benefit the global elite, but you can bet they are finding a way to make a profit from the huge transfer of wealth.

I'm just rambling out loud...

Similar to my thoughts.

I do incidentally believe the human race is creating ecological problems and using resources wastefully, and a change of behaviour is called for - but in many respects it is the people now loudly embracing AGW - oil companies, international capitalists, etc. who are behind much of the exploitation.

I don't believe they would latch on to something because of public opinion - they are powerful enough to change public opinion. No, I believe it is because they've found a way to keep their ball rolling - in fact to make even more money. Many of the 'solutions' proposed - windmills, battery cars - are actually more wasteful of resources than the current infrastructure. But they represent an easy way to get access to streams of money that otherwise they'd have to work for - they'd actually have to do something profitable other than relying on digging things out of the ground.

Adversaries, zombies and NIPCC climate pseudoscience
September 26th, 2013 in Space & Earth / Environment

Dead science lives on, thanks to the Non-governmental International Panel on Climate Change. Credit: Scott Beale

The warm start to Australian spring has been accompanied by a deluge of pseudoscience. Anti-vaccination campaigners andaliens made appearances, but the deluge was primarily climate pseudoscience in the Murdoch Press and talk radio.

The deluge included interviews with, and an op-ed by, retired scientist Bob Carter, a lead author of the Non-governmental International Panel on Climate Change (NIPCC) reports.

What is the NIPCC? Is it just like the IPCC, but with an "N"?

Well, no. The NIPCC is a group of climate change "sceptics",bankrolled by the libertarian Heartland Institute to promote doubt about climate change. This suits the Heartland Institute'sbackers, including fossil fuel companies and those ideologically opposed to government regulation.

The NIPCC promotes doubt via thousand-page reports, the latest of which landed with a dull thud last week. These tomes try to mimic the scientific reports of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), right down to the acronym. However, unlike the IPCC, the NIPCC reports are works of partisan pseudoscience.

Consensus and adversaries
We know 97% of climate scientists have concluded, based on the evidence, that anthropogenic climate change is real. Contrary to recent claims in the media, there is remarkably good agreement between models of climate change and the temperature data.

There has been 0.12 degrees of warming per decade over the past 50 years, which is very similar to the expected warming of 0.13 degrees per decade.

How does the NIPCC spread doubt, given the temperature record and consensus of professional scientists? The answer is manufactured partisanship.

The IPCC (no N) produces a comprehensive and critical overview of climate change science for governments. It is written by hundreds of scientists, anyone can volunteer to review drafts, and those comments appear online.
IPCC reports openly discuss the strengths, weaknesses, criticisms and uncertainties of the science. The reports provide policy makers with a range of plausible outcomes given rising atmospheric CO2.

Heartland's NIPCC partially mimics the IPCC, but with key differences. It is written and reviewed by dozens of people, almost exclusively drawn from the "sceptic" community, and is consequently highly partisan.

Indeed, the NIPCC advocates an adversarial approach to assessing climate science, with partisan "teams" arguing for different positions.
This call for an adversarial debate has also been repeated in recent op-eds by Bob Carter, Judith Curry and Gary Johns.

The call for adversarial debate is a variant of the debate ploy, a common pseudoscience tactic. At first glance having two teams present competing positions seems entirely reasonable, but this approach only works if the intended audience can effectively assess the arguments presented.
Can a general audience or policy makers distinguish truth from fiction when it comes to technical aspects of climate science?

Will a general audience know when someone is deliberately confusing transient climate response (TCR) with equilibrium climate sensitivity (ECS)? Will they know that TCR and ECS differ by roughly a factor of two? Perhaps not.
Will they triangulate the truth, assuming technical arguments they don't understand have equal merit? Quite possibly.

Adversaries, zombies and NIPCC climate pseudoscience

The comparison between global temperatures (red) and models (grey) is actually very good, contrary to some claims in the media. Credit: http://tamino.wordpress.com/2012/01/23/ ... -scenario/

This is the fundamental problem with trying to resolve scientific questions via an adversarial approach, and this problem isn't new. Back in 1920, a large audience wasunable to assess competing claims about the general relativity when Albert Einstein debated Phillip Lenard. That debate generated column inches and acrimony, but did nothing to advance science.
In this context, the IPCC's comprehensive approach to evaluating climate science makes sense, with experts providing an overview of the science for policy markers. It also explains why the minority wishing to delay action are promoting an adversarial approach.

Zombie science
Does the NIPCC fairly and robustly assess the science? No. It is all too easy to find "debunked" papers getting a second life in latest NIPCC report.
Sea levels around Australia have risen by roughly 100mm during the past century, but Boretti (2012) claimed sea levels rose by only 50mm over that period. However, John Hunter and I found that Boretti's own flawed analysis gives an answer of 78mm. While Boretti himself grudgingly accepts that 50mm is wrong, this erroneous value is reported as fact by the NIPCC.
IPCC AR4 concluded that CO2 is the cause of increased global
temperatures, with natural variability not playing a major role. It was thus surprising when McLean et al. (2009) concluded that global temperatures were varying largely in response to the El Niño–Southern Oscillation.
However, McLean's analysis effectively subtracted out the long-term trend caused by CO2, so they only measured the (natural) causes of short-term variability.

Foster et al. (2010) thoroughly debunked McLean et al., and McLean perhaps debunked himself by predicting 2011 would be the coolest year since 1956. That year was anything but cool. However, the McLean et al. conclusions are reported as fact in the latest NIPCC report, with no mention of the Foster et al. commentary.

Dead science lives in the NIPCC reports: Boretti and McLean are just the tip of the iceberg. Houston & Dean (2011), Scafetta & West (2005) and others also appear, all without mention that these papers were followed by highly critical commentaries.

It is this deliberately partisan, selective, and uncritical approach to evidence that marks the NIPCC report as a work of pseudoscience.

Bob Carter's op-ed for the Daily Telegraph was titled "Report gives the truth about climate at last", but I prefer a different description of NIPCC reports – one that may not be fit for publication.

Source: The Conversation
This story is published courtesy of The Conversation (under Creative Commons-Attribution/No derivatives).

The Conversation

"Adversaries, zombies and NIPCC climate pseudoscience." September 26th, 2013. http://phys.org/news/2013-09-adversarie ... ience.html

I believe in agw. It's fun to get all sides blustered. I didn't catch the reasons behind why it was natural. Do you know?

tonyblair11 said:
I believe in agw. It's fun to get all sides blustered. I didn't catch the reasons behind why it was natural. Do you know?
Depends what they mean by natural. Natural variability, weather cycles like El Niño and La Niña, volcanos, Sun activity, soot. There are a lot of variables beyond the basic physics, so nobody's quite sure. But, I prefer the idea that with increasing trapped heat, there's more energy in the system and the natural heatsinks are absorbing more of it. Melting ice caps, glaciers and Greenland, warming oceans expand, more unstable and violent weather patterns. The jet stream has shifted, for starters. Not just the sea ice extent, but the volume of ice in the Arctic, has shrunk drastically.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/0...ntists-say-a-change-from-very-likely-in-2007/

The last decade was the warmest on record, though.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/climatechange/last-decade-confirmed-as-the-w/14913958

So, it depends on what you mean by a lull.

The Earth's biosphere is a very big, complicated and dynamic system. Change one bit and you risk changing it all. Some parts will absorb the shock better than others and some on the margins will be changed more drastically.

One meteorologist read the IPCC report, burst into tears and swore he'd never fly again.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/27/eric-holthaus-twitter_n_4005003.html?utm_hp_ref=green

What a wuss, eh?

"Dark Money" Funds Climate Change Denial Effort
A Drexel University study finds that a large slice of donations to organizations that deny global warming are funneled through third-party pass-through organizations that conceal the original funder
http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... ial-effort
By Douglas Fischer and The Daily Climate

A shift to untraceable donations by organizations denying climate change undermines democracy, according to the author of a new study tracking contributions to such groups.
Image: Wikimedia Commons/Carol M. Highsmith

The largest, most-consistent money fueling the climate denial movement are a number of well-funded conservative foundations built with so-called "dark money," or concealed donations, according to an analysis released Friday afternoon.

The study, by Drexel University environmental sociologist Robert Brulle, is the first academic effort to probe the organizational underpinnings and funding behind the climate denial movement.

It found that the amount of money flowing through third-party, pass-through foundations like DonorsTrust and Donors Capital, whose funding cannot be traced, has risen dramatically over the past five years.

In all, 140 foundations funneled $558 million to almost 100 climate denial organizations from 2003 to 2010.

Meanwhile the traceable cash flow from more traditional sources, such as Koch Industries and ExxonMobil, has disappeared.

The study was published Friday in the journal Climatic Change.

"The climate change countermovement has had a real political and ecological impact on the failure of the world to act on global warming," Brulle said in a statement. "Like a play on Broadway, the countermovement has stars in the spotlight – often prominent contrarian scientists or conservative politicians – but behind the stars is an organizational structure of directors, script writers and producers."

"If you want to understand what's driving this movement, you have to look at what's going on behind the scenes."

Consistent funders
To uncover that, Brulle developed a list of 118 influential climate denial organizations in the United States. He then coded data on philanthropic funding for each organization, combining information from the Foundation Center, a database of global philanthropy, with financial data submitted by organizations to the Internal Revenue Service.

According to Brulle, the largest and most consistent funders where a number of conservative foundations promoting "ultra-free-market ideas" in many realms, among them the Searle Freedom Trust, the John Williams Pope Foundation, the Howard Charitable Foundation and the Sarah Scaife Foundation.

Another key finding: From 2003 to 2007, Koch Affiliated Foundations and the ExxonMobil Foundation were "heavily involved" in funding climate change denial efforts. But Exxon hasn't made a publically traceable contribution since 2008, and Koch's efforts dramatically declined, Brulle said.

Coinciding with a decline in traceable funding, Brulle found a dramatic rise in the cash flowing to denial organizations from DonorsTrust, a donor-directed foundation whose funders cannot be traced. This one foundation, the assessment found, now accounts for 25 percent of all traceable foundation funding used by organizations promoting the systematic denial of climate change.

Jeffrey Zysik, chief financial officer for DonorsTrust, said in an email that neither DonorsTrust nor Donors Capital Fund "take positions with respect to any issue advocated by its grantees."

"As with all donor-advised fund programs, grant recommendations are received from account holders," he said. "DonorsTrust and Donors Capital Fund ensure that recommended grantees are IRS-approved public charities and also require that the grantee charities do not rely on significant amounts of revenue from government sources. DonorsTrust and Donors Capital Fund do not otherwise drive the selection of grantees, nor conduct in-depth analyses of projects or grantees unless an account holder specifically requests that service."

Matter of democracy
In the end, Brulle concluded public records identify only a fraction of the hundreds of millions of dollars supporting climate denial efforts. Some 75 percent of the income of those organizations, he said, comes via unidentifiable sources.

And for Brulle, that's a matter of democracy. "Without a free flow of accurate information, democratic politics and government accountability become impossible," he said. "Money amplifies certain voices above others and, in effect, gives them a megaphone in the public square."

Powerful funders, he added, are supporting the campaign to deny scientific findings about global warming and raise doubts about the "roots and remedies" of a threat on which the science is clear.

"At the very least, American voters deserve to know who is behind these efforts."

* Editor's Note (12/24/13): This story has been updated to reflect a late comment from DonorsTrust.

This article originally appeared at The Daily Climate, the climate change news source published by Environmental Health Sciences, a nonprofit media company.

I would have thought that the failure of the world to act on AGW is due to the fact that most of the world outside Europe and the Anglosphere has worked out that not merely is there no AGW, actual warming by normal climate fluctuation (which is constant, and goes in cycles of thousands or even 10's of thousands of years) has currently stopped.

No-one knows whether, in 200 years time the planet will be warmer or colder than it is now. It is as simple as that. Odds are that it will be warmer, fossil evidence tells us most of its history the planet has been warmer than it is now, but there may yet be another kick in the last Ice Age.

Civilization has existed in a 10,000 year period of stability at an intermediate level between the warmer norm and the colder ice ages - whatever humans do this is unlikely to last for ever.

Climate 'science' from the outset has tried to ignore the historical and geological record and has relied on computer models. Unfortunately computer models simply don't work for such a complex purpose. They are unable even to predict traffic densities on our roads five years ahead, a far less complex problem.

I suspect the fundamental problem for climate 'scientists', assuming they are not all politicised or corrupt, is that they, in common with much of the human race, simply can't get they heads around how fantastically long the Earth has been here and how long its climate cycles take to play out. Trying to use a period of 200 years to analyse climate movement is like basing your football match analysis entirely on extra time.

'Dark money'. Pish. And indeed tosh. How much money that is behind the AGW 'science' comes from people who expect to make a profit from the theory?

And before anyone questions my use of 'science' as quoted - Science is neither democratic nor statistical. For something to be a scientific fact it must be able to be confirmed by repeatable experiment. Belief does not enter into it. If you work in a discipline where such is not possible, you are not a scientist but a philosopher.

Back