• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Manmade Climate Change: The Deeper Agenda

I'm hoping to get charitable status for The First Church of Richard Dawkins The Conciliator.

tonyblair11 said:
If this is the case then shouldn't all churches lose their charity status?

Yes. I'd like to see the political party brave enough to attempt it, though.

ramonmercado said:
[i:1xer45kd]The Independent[/i] said:
It said it had suggested that parts of the website should be "separated from the charity and hosted by an independent organisation" and the GWPF had submitted its proposals to do this.

I get how they think that's doing the right thing, but I'd rather a charity nail its colours to the mast so I know exactly what it stands for rather than it have associations with some other organisation through which it can surreptitiously work toward unconstructive ends.

A top Australian government business adviser has said climate change is a hoax by the United Nations.

Most climate models were wrong and there was little evidence of climate change, said Maurice Newman.

He said the UN had used climate change as a "hook" to establish and control a new world order.

Mr Newman's comments were rejected by climate scientists, while Environment Minister Greg Hunt said it was "not something I would express".

Asked at a press conference what he thought of Mr Newman's comments, Mr Hunt said individuals were "entitled to their views".

On a per capita basis, Australia is one of the world's biggest emitters of greenhouse gases.

Coalition governments in Australia have a history of climate change scepticism. One of the current government's first actions when it won power in 2013 was to dump the previous Labor government's tax on carbon emissions because of the cost to industry. ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-32639813

Cambridge professor claims three climate scientists assassinated

A Cambridge professor has claimed three scientists investigating the melting of Arctic ice may have been assassinated.

Professor Peter Wadhams, based at Polar Ocean Physics Group at the Centre for Mathematical Sciences in Wilberforce Road, said the trio could have been murdered and hinted the oil industry or government forces might be implicated.

Rest of story at link:

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Cam...e-scientists/story-27483071-detail/story.html

One of them fell down the stairs. Not the police station steps ;)

French weatherman taken off air after questioning climate change
France 2 channel’s Philippe Verdier told not to return to work for foreseeable future after writing book which throws doubt on findings of leading scientists
Agence France-Presse in Paris
Thursday 15 October 2015 23.28 BST

A French TV weatherman has been taken off air after writing a book in which he questions climate change. Philippe Verdier, a familiar face on the state-run France 2 channel, said he had been told not to return to work for the foreseeable future.
“I received a letter asking me not to come,” Verdier told RTL radio this week. “I don’t know any more than that, I don’t know how long it will last. It’s all to do with my book.”

Verdier had taken time off to undertake a publicity tour for his book – entitled Climat Investigation – but had been expecting to return to work.
“It’s France Télévisions’ decision, I’m not on holiday,” he said.
In the book, Verdier throws doubt on the findings of leading climate scientists and political leaders, saying they have “taken the world hostage”. It is timed to coincide with France’s hosting of a major UN climate summit in December.

France Télévisions said its rules “prevent anyone using their professional status … to push forward their personal opinions”.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ier-french-weatherman-question-climate-change

Do not question science! or you may lose your job and your kids will starve in squalor. What a sad thought control world we have entered.

Although if he went against his contract then the tv company has the right to fire him even if it is an ignorant stance.:drink:

Indeed. Climate science is now very like religion. It is not to be questioned! Only faith and unflinching loyalty are required!

Do not question science! or you may lose your job and your kids will starve in squalor. What a sad thought control world we have entered.
Au contraire! Questioning science is done both frequently and volubly by plenty of politicians - albeit probably fewer on our side of the pond than yours - whose children are not obviously under-fed. I leave the question as to sadness as an exercise for the reader.

How many of those politicians are meteorologists and climatologists? :p
Isn't that the apposite question! I'd be more inclined to pay some - any - attention if I thought a politician might have at least some grounding in the subject. Mind you, as someone cleverer than me said, Ben Carson is staking a pretty good claim to being the first person to have operated on someone else's brain without obviously having one of his own, so...

Emissions impossible: Did spies sink key climate deal?
Matt McGrath, Environment correspondent

The revelations of the NSA whistleblower, Edward Snowden, are an ongoing embarrassment for the US government.
From Angry Birds to the mobile phone of Angela Merkel to the banal conversations of millions of people, the scale of the National Secutiry Agency's spying activities knew few boundaries.
But can the world's inability to fix the problem of global warming also be laid at the spooks' door?

Wind your mind back to December 2009, when world leaders converged on Copenhagen to cook up a global climate deal that would solve the problem of rising temperatures.
But it appears the US already knew what everyone else was thinking.

According to documents released to a Danish newspaper by Snowden, the NSA was ready, willing and able to provide "unique, timely and valuable" insights into the negotiating positions of the countries that attended the blockbuster summit.

By monitoring "signals intelligence", the spies would keep US negotiators "as well informed as possible" about "sidebar discussions", informal huddles and corridor conversations during the two week conference.

In other words, the sneaky buggers (well, they do install bugs, don't they?) were giving the US a major advantage in the negotiations.

"It is interesting to have your fears confirmed," says Kit Vaughan from climate campaigners Care International.
He was among those who attended the meeting, known as Cop 15, in the Danish capital.
"All of us thought that this was happening. To know that it was happening is even more worrying."

The Danish Security and Intelligence Service were supposedly in charge of making sure there was no obvious eavesdropping going on.
Known by the acronym PET, many climate campaigners believe these great Danes were, in reality, the lap dogs of the Americans.

"Greenpeace carried out an action. Forty minutes later we were in the pub, celebrating with a few of them. A few minutes later, the police arrested the guys out of the pub," says Mr Vaughan.
"The only way to follow them was to follow the phones and the email traffic coming from that group. It was all monitored." :shock:

I put this claim to a Danish source who was closely connected to the negotiations.
"Copenhagen is pretty small: if you suddenly have 15 activists celebrating in a bar, it's not going to be a secret for a very long time," he said.
"You don't need electronic surveillance for this!" 8)

The Danes didn't lend a hand to the Americans in their secret squirrel activities, he says.
In fact, he says, the Danes were a bit naive in this regard.
"We got some Chinese viruses on our computers which we thought was rather odd, but we didn't do that much about it," says the source.
"We didn't use encrypted emails which we probably should have done, but that was five years ago and no one knew about the NSA."

Not only were the US at it, and it would appear the Chinese, but the non-governmental organisations weren't going to be left out in cold either, says Kit Vaughan.

"There are people in the NGO and civil society movement who are very closely aligned with parts of intelligence groups of other agencies. That's the business and the game of climate, there's too much at stake for them not to be."

One element that really soured the atmosphere in Copenhagen was the so-called Danish draft: not one of the excellent local beers, but the text of a deal, drawn up by the home government in an effort to move the talks forward.
Many campaigners believe the US got hold of the document via email intercepts. My Danish source denies this. He points to the fact that wire agencies had a copy of the text two weeks before the conference began.

"All the spying in the world wouldn't have secured an agreement in Copenhagen," he says.
"We all knew the Gordian knot was that China wouldn't accept an agreement that omitted the Kyoto Protocol and the US wouldn't accept one that included it."
"This was impossible to cut through and everyone knew this beforehand."

And so it was that "Hopenhagen" rapidly became "Brokenhagen".

But despite the spies and the failure of the meeting, there's a quantum of solace for those who believe that a global, legally binding treaty is the only way to tackle climate change.
A deal, of one type or another, at Paris in 2015 remains on track.
Somehow, some way, the "zombie talks process" staggers forward.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25981242

More on the NSA spying on Merkel.

Denmark's secret service helped the US spy on European politicians including German Chancellor Angela Merkel from 2012 to 2014, Danish media say.

The Defence Intelligence Service (FE) collaborated with the US National Security Agency (NSA) to gather information, according to Danish public service broadcaster DR. Intelligence was allegedly collected on other officials from Germany, France, Sweden and Norway.

Similar allegations emerged in 2013. Then, secrets leaked by US whistleblower Edward Snowden alleged tapping of the German chancellor's phone by the NSA. When those allegations were made, the White House gave no outright denial but said Mrs Merkel's phone was not being bugged at the time and would not be in future.

Germany is a close ally of the US. German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier and a spokesperson for Angela Merkel have said they were not aware of Danish involvement until the DR report, which was shared with other European media over the weekend.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57302806

More on the NSA spying on Merkel.

Denmark's secret service helped the US spy on European politicians including German Chancellor Angela Merkel from 2012 to 2014, Danish media say.

The Defence Intelligence Service (FE) collaborated with the US National Security Agency (NSA) to gather information, according to Danish public service broadcaster DR. Intelligence was allegedly collected on other officials from Germany, France, Sweden and Norway.

Similar allegations emerged in 2013. Then, secrets leaked by US whistleblower Edward Snowden alleged tapping of the German chancellor's phone by the NSA. When those allegations were made, the White House gave no outright denial but said Mrs Merkel's phone was not being bugged at the time and would not be in future.

Germany is a close ally of the US. German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier and a spokesperson for Angela Merkel have said they were not aware of Danish involvement until the DR report, which was shared with other European media over the weekend.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57302806

Merkel is a tad peeved at the reports.

BEIJING (Reuters) - German Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Monday allegations that a German man worked as a double agent for U.S. intelligence were serious and, if true, were a clear contradiction of what cooperation between partners is supposed to be about.

The case risks further straining ties with Washington, which have been sorely tested by revelations last year of large-scale snooping on Germany by the U.S. National Security Agency (NSA).

"If the reports are correct it would be a serious case," Merkel told a news conference in Beijing, standing next to Chinese Premier Li Keqiang.

"If the allegations are true, it would be for me a clear contradiction as to what I consider to be trusting cooperation between agencies and partners."

The White House and State Department have so far declined to comment on the arrest of a 31-year-old employee of Germany's BND foreign intelligence agency.

According to intelligence and political sources, the man admits passing documents to a U.S. contact.

https://www.newsweek.com/merkel-says-us-spying-allegations-are-serious-breach-trust-257387

Back