• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Manuka Honey

What makes manuka honey different from other types of honey in its healing properties?
I don't think there is anything different... maybe it's the sugars in it? They may be in different proportions.

Its got a big price tag.
I suspect that this may have something to do with it - possibly linked to the placebo effect that makes people think that branded painkillers are 'better' than the off brand ones.

(And yes, I know that some branded painkillers have some extra ingredients that make them more efficacious, but I'm talking about the bog-standard ones).

Honey is antisceptic and antibacterial. Tea oil is the same. I'd imagine that the combinaiton of the two, as in honey made from the nectar and pollen of the manuka tree would layer these effects something like a broad spectrum antibiotic.

My dad kept bees, and we used honey as food, medicine and general tonic. It was usually clover honey, with a fair amount fo apple blossom too, butit also had another fruity element to it we coul never quite pin down. I don't know if it made us super healthy or anything, but it sure tasted good.

There was nothing like a tea family tee anywhere near us, so no manuka influences :)
Fair amount of white thorn though. In rural Ireland, that might mean faery dust.

Na Daoine Sídhe

I once had a conversation with a elderly Yorkshire bee keeper.

He told me that in his village, he heard there was a woman suffering from with stomach ulcers.
Conventional medicine had not helped much, and she was in a lot of pain.
He genuinely believed that she was slowly dying from the effect of the ulcers.

He went to see the woman.
He said he would give her honey from his hives at no charge, as he believed it would help her.
He told her she had to eat it every day.

Over the period of a few weeks, her condition improved a lot and she became well again.

He told me that in his opinion, Manuka Honey was neither better nor worse than other wild honeys in it's medical effectiveness.
He said it was more expensive though.
He had no business reason to say this, as he did not give me details of how to purchase his honey.

The subject needs extensive tests on a variety of honeys on a variety of conditions.

This 2018 test suggests Manuka Honey is more effective than other honeys.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6613335/

The test's CONCLUSION: The research data has confirmed that Manuka honey's antibacterial activity, in comparison to non-Manuka honey, is due to a higher phenolic and methylglyoxal content."

Back