• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mars Conspiracies

A recent YouTube video which claims to show, not only trees, but a road network and other infrastructure on Mars.

A shame the NASA 2020 rover won't be heading to this Martian "city":

A recent YouTube video which claims to show, not only trees, but a road network and other infrastructure on Mars.

A shame the NASA 2020 rover won't be heading to this Martian "city":

They never do send the rovers to these places of interest. It's frustrating.

They never do send the rovers to these places of interest. It's frustrating.

Indeed. Even though the woo factor of the "face", "pyramids" and other features of Cydonia has pretty well been debunked, wouldn't it be great to see close-up video of those structures from the surface?

So next time you happen across a Martian ufo and it's crew, ask them if you can watch their home movies.

So next time you happen across a Martian ufo and it's crew, ask them if you can watch their home movies.
Bad idea. They might show you their favourite anal probing video.

Just thinking, and not being facetious,

Would it be better to pick the first colonists on Mars from Africa ?

I suspect that they will have a greater tolerance to UV than people from Northern climes.

I don't know if this would pass on genetically or not. But it could be useful.

... Would it be better to pick the first colonists on Mars from Africa ?
I suspect that they will have a greater tolerance to UV than people from Northern climes.
I don't know if this would pass on genetically or not. But it could be useful.

I suspect the straightforward answer is "No."

Relative differences among skin types in tolerating UV radiation come into play if and only if the skin is exposed to the radiation.

For the foreseeable future, nobody's going to be outdoors on Mars with exposed skin. They'll be wearing a full-body suit of some sort and headgear accommodating a pressurized breathing apparatus. These covering items will provide whatever UV protection is deemed necessary, and skin type won't be a factor.

I suspect the straightforward answer is "No."

Relative differences among skin types in tolerating UV radiation come into play if and only if the skin is exposed to the radiation.

For the foreseeable future, nobody's going to be outdoors on Mars with exposed skin. They'll be wearing a full-body suit of some sort and headgear accommodating a pressurized breathing apparatus. These covering items will provide whatever UV protection is deemed necessary, and skin type won't be a factor.

Absolutely. Whether in a spacecraft, spacesuit or Martian habitat, skin type is neither here nor there.
The effects of micro-gravity during the months in transit to Mars and then low gravity (around one third of Earth's) whilst on the Martian surface, could be a factor though. We know that, even with intensive exercise, astronauts lose bone density, their muscles atrophy and they become subject to a host of other undesirable effects. Musculoskeletal effects can make the body stretch by several centimetres.
It would seem that, to mitigate these effects, the optimum body type for extended space travel and long-term living in lower gravity would be stocky and very muscular, but not necessarily very tall astronauts. A vaguely Neanderthal body type in fact!

Absolutely. Whether in a spacecraft, spacesuit or Martian habitat, skin type is neither here nor there.
The effects of micro-gravity during the months in transit to Mars and then low gravity (around one third of Earth's) whilst on the Martian surface, could be a factor though. We know that, even with intensive exercise, astronauts lose bone density, their muscles atrophy and they become subject to a host of other undesirable effects. Musculoskeletal effects can make the body stretch by several centimetres.
It would seem that, to mitigate these effects, the optimum body type for extended space travel and long-term living in lower gravity would be stocky and very muscular, but not necessarily very tall astronauts. A vaguely Neanderthal body type in fact!
So... the Neanderthals were aliens?

Back