• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mars Surface Anomalies Viewed From Orbit / Afar

Perhaps the aliens didn't like the face being discovered, so they covered it up with sand?

:D

I think hoagland is mostly full of it.

I DID however like the piece about NASA messing with the color settings on the camera images though. If you look at the U.S. flag on the lander you can see that they cranked the red color way up to make Mars look like it has a red sky. When you re-process the footage so that the colors are correct Mars has a blue sky. (you can also see that with a decent telescope too).

It's much like grabbing the Red RGB gamma setting on your video card and sliding it all the way to the right, everything will look red.

Snap said:
I think hoagland is mostly full of it.

I DID however like the piece about NASA messing with the color settings on the camera images though. If you look at the U.S. flag on the lander you can see that they cranked the red color way up to make Mars look like it has a red sky. When you re-process the footage so that the colors are correct Mars has a blue sky. (you can also see that with a decent telescope too).

It's much like grabbing the Red RGB gamma setting on your video card and sliding it all the way to the right, everything will look red.

And that's why Beagle 2 is going to Mars with a Damian Hurst painting, so that they can calibrate the colour balance. (That, and also the fact that Colin Pillinger is extremely adept at the PR side of science as well.;))

The Face on Mars is Alive!

This website is from the nuttier end of the spectrum (probably).

A physical process having characteristics of a life form will be shown to exist at Mars. Viking 1 imagery documents changes in "The Face" of Mars in a period of 36 days. Is this so-called “Face on Mars” an Earth-like geological rock formation or a solid, constructed monument? Is it evidence of a past civilization? Did NASA blast the face? Be prepared to face some surprising realities as the data take you on an exceptional journey.

To "prep" you for this journey, you should bear in mind that on Earth, no specific definition of life exists. So when you examine and compare the various images, one can go only by the Earth indicators of life. The more important ones are:

Change
Development
Structural Organization

Growth
Complexity
Evolution of Appearance

"The Face" conforms to most all of the Earthian life-form indicators, which are chemical in their nature. However, this journey is to extraterrestrial Mars where linear (straight line) elements are found in "The Face". Linear elements are not a property of nature and the biology with which Earthlings are familiar. This occurrence suggests that "The Face" may owe its presence to a physical basis rather than originate from a chemical one. Physical (e.g., plasma) "life" as well as chemical life is common place in the cosmos, of which Mars is a part. Whether "The Face" can be related to physical causes remains to be seen. All images (positive transparencies) used for this presentation can be ordered from the NASA Space Science Data Center, Greenbelt, MD.

etc, etc

Rorschach Thinking

Hoagland is enmeshed in a cottage industry predicated on A) promoting the ETH and, B) vilifying anything contradicting that as a conspiracy.

It's getting sad.

And to have the hoary idiocy of saying the Lunar landings were faked is egregious.

NASA, were they smart, could have capitalized on the public interest, and wishful thinking, by drumming up support with slogans such as: LET'S GO SEE, and HELP US FIND OUT. Instead they simply bored everyone back to sleep, as instructed by FedGov thugs busy hiding "black" money in NASA's sadly depleted budget.

Now it's too late and NASA is revealed as a clay-footed poseur.

ruffready said:
That reminded me of something that was in the Fortean Times a while back. It's a letter from one Ananda Sirisena on page 64 of FT69 (June/July 1993) to be precise: (See attached pic)

"As the focus of these Cydonia studies had been to the east of the D&M Pyramid, I began a survey of the images to the west of it, resulting in the discovery of a feature I call the Secondary Face, best seen on frame 70A11,(of the Viking images.) Barely three Martian miles from the Secondary Face is a peculiar star-shaped formation on a ledge.

The Secondary Face is approximately twice the distance from the apex of the D&M Pyramid as the Primary Face. Both Faces are of almost identical size, and both are aligned at more or less the same angle with respect to north on Mars.

The Secondary Face appears to be more eroded than the Primary Face, suggesting that it may have been 'made' first, especially as it seems to have been carved into a ledge. The top surface of the ledge shows what seems to be 'furrowed ground".

Other researchers have noted the presence of such 'ploughed-field' areas in the vicinity of many of the anomalous features. Dr Mark Carlotto, in his book The Martian Enigmas: A Closer Look (1991) relates that this has fuelled speculation about 'quarrying' on the surface of Mars."

So Mars is one big Mt Rushmore. Perhaps these are all previous masters of the universe (He-Man, She-Ra and so on) :cool:

cool to think about ..

I myself think "something is on Mars, and it has to do with past life there" I think people have got to go there though, cause pictures are just not doing it!! (I like pictures though keep posting them!!!) I go to themis site alot but I always wonder if "they" would "cover up" a real "stand out photo of a building or structure" do you think it would "just not be on themis site in the first place "would they hide it from us???"

I believe that we may find fossils on mars.

.....but there is one problem that I cannot avoid when I think and read about the face on mars. When we see faces and forms in rock on our own planet.......we call them a simulacra.

Then again, I suppose, it could be argued that Pictish Symbol stones and South American Rock Art are not by any means, simulacras and are indeed carved by hands.

Personaly, I believe the face on mars to be a simulacra. You see 'em in microscopes and telescopes and in rock and mud.

If you can see 'em in clouds, you can see 'em on mars!

yeah, I bet you'd find thousands if you looked at orbital piccies of the earth
Hoagland, Carlotta etc are just capitalising on the imaging technology used to process these photos
ploughed field my arse

simulacra (singular simulacrum i should imagine) are found everywhere- From the patterns on tortillas to the smoke from the WTC

A 2nd face? That presumes that there is a first face, which there isnt.

Tricky-Dick Hoagland has been pushing his agenda for years and it must be working if people think that there really is a face on Mars.

What are two very similar simulacra called?
Are you refering to the classic "face on mars" and the one on this thread? I don't think they look anything alike, and the whole entire thing is hogwash.

Piscez said:
Are you refering to the classic "face on mars" and the one on this thread? I don't think they look anything alike, and the whole entire thing is hogwash.

Dont' forget there's a Barney (the dinosaur) face in Mars also, and a Kermit (the one from the Muppets), and a heart. I mean, the faces are probably simulacra. But some of the supossed structures are harder to explain first hand.

Piscez said:
the whole entire thing is hogwash.
Hoagwash, surely :rolleyes:

What happened to Hoagy? I haven't heard much from him since the mid to late nineties. I heard he had a heart attack or something, but nothing since - has he retired or is the alien architecture industry still going?

Mars mystery
The height of the interior mound of sediment inside this crater exceeds the crater rim heights by 900 meters (3,000 ft). This is a confounding problem. How does all this material get inside this crater and actually rise higher than its holding chamber? What is this material? Where did it come from? Why is it still here? It is exactly these kinds of enigmas that makes Mars so very interesting.

marstoday.com/viewsr.html?pid=9390 for piccies.
LInk is obsolete. The report has moved to another website:
http://spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=9390

Mars Odyssey THEMIS Image: Bizarre Crater Mound
Status Report From: Mars Odyssey THEMIS
Posted: Thursday, June 5, 2003

It is probably a bit premature to say that this is sediment-

Surely it could be some sort of igneous formation, which has swollen out of the crust as a response to the meteor impact?

Although it could perhaps be a dome of ice expanding underground, like happens on this planet sometimes (on a much smaller scale)-

but sediment?

The more dedicated Mars watchers among you may find this interesting:

newfrontiersinscience.com/Members/v02n03/a/NFS0203a.shtml
Link is dead. The MIA webpage can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/2003062...inscience.com/Members/v02n03/a/NFS0203a.shtml

is a VERY long and densely referenced paper on 'spiders', the strangely tree- or coral-like structures found near the Martian S. Pole. It will take some time to study the piece in full, but just skimming the text on the main page, and sampling a few of the images, will give you an idea of the strangeness of these possibly 'biogenic' formations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mars orbiter captures view of stair-stepped mound
This April 2003 Mars Global Surveyor (MGS) Mars Orbiter Camera (MOC) image shows a stair-stepped mound of sedimentary rock (right of center) on the floor of a large impact crater in western Arabia Terra near 11.0 deg N, 4.4 deg W.
This impressive picture has echoes of many man-made structures on Earth, and thus has already caused great excitement on various 'alternative Mars' websites!

Look, and wonder.... :eek!!!!:

Obviously, Niles?

I'm not saying it's not natural, but I can't recall any similar formations on Earth that are not the result of human activity, so I'd like to see a convincing description of exactly how it came about.

Several words, Niles... ( :D )

Monument Valley (which is not a valley, but we'll let that pass) contains Buttes and Mesas (flat tops, cliff-like sides), not stair-stepped mounds.

I know how those are formed (erosion of softer layers protected by remnants of a harder over-lying stratum), but that thing on Mars shows at least 6 separate layers. It seems unlikely to me that there should be a sequence of so many layers grading neatly from soft to hard as we move up the mound.

Maybe the erosion process on Mars incorporates features we don't have on Earth. It certainly doesn't seem to have rain there now. Erosion by some ancient flash flood, as seen elsewhere on Mars, is unlikely in this case as the hill is practically circular, and shows no signs of the teardrop or lenticular streamlining seen in such cases. Which just seems to leave some kind of wind erosion...

A larger version of the Stepped Mound is here (click on image) - I'm still looking for the original on the Malin SSS or USGS sites, which may be still bigger!

rynner said:
The more dedicated Mars watchers among you may find this interesting:

http://www.newfrontiersinscience.com/Members/v02n03/a/NFS0203a.shtml
is a VERY long and densely referenced paper on 'spiders', the strangely tree- or coral-like structures found near the Martian S. Pole. It will take some time to study the piece in full, but just skimming the text on the main page, and sampling a few of the images, will give you an idea of the strangeness of these possibly 'biogenic' formations.

its the "red weed" :eek:

Interesting Pic

Patterns in Martian north polar dunes imaged
Dark, windblown sand forms spectacular geometric patterns in the north polar sand seas, particularly in regions where strong winds converge from different directions over the course of a year. This Mars Global Surveyor (MGS) Mars Orbiter Camera (MOC) picture shows some of these dark dune patterns near 77.8 deg N, 284.4 deg W. The picture covers an area 3 km (1.9 miles) across and is illuminated by sunlight from the lower left.

Very strange, has such a pattern ever occurred in a desert on Earth or would it only be possible in the rarified atmosphere of Mars?

I dunno - but in FT recently there was a piece about a photo of an alleged meteor that some 15 year old sent to NASA, who apparently confirmed and then denied it's authenticity...

Oh my. :rolleyes:

Alien writing on Mars.

http://www.rense.com/general49/onmars.htm

Some comments on the photos.

Forget the "E". Does anyone else see the glassy eye staring at them from this cleverly camoflauged Mars rock creature? It even has a reptilian eye ridge.

Back