• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mars Surface Anomalies Viewed From Orbit / Afar

Were later photos of the Face of Mars tampered with ?

No, it was just never a face. The original photo was poor quality that made the way its shadows fell look like facial features, but later, better quality photos of the rock revealed it didn't look like a face at all. Only a big rock.

Were later photos of the Face of Mars tampered with ?

I found this later photo but I think it has been tampered with.

face on mars.png

The "Face on Mars" was debunked years ago, I'm afraid. A better definition of photograph came along later and revealed the big rock didn't look like a face at all.
I don't believe the face is an artificial structure, but the debunking photos never made it look less like a face to me, just an old, weathered, and crumbling face.

Stunning Picture Reveals Weird 'Polygons' on Mars

The most powerful camera ever sent to another planet has snapped a mesmerizing picture of a bizarre springtime phenomenon on Mars, which paints the red planet with dramatic bright fans of dry ice that erupt from vents in its polar regions.

1655908000619-esp0734710950.jpeg

This patterned alien landscape was imaged in March by NASA’s High Resolution Imaging Experiment (HIRISE), onboard its Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter.

The terrain has been sculpted into these polygons by water ice that is frozen into the soil at the planet’s high latitudes. The borders of these shapes, which stretch like white stitches across the Martian surface, are further frayed during springtime by ice transforming directly from a solid to a gas, a process called sublimation, which produces blasts of dry ice.

HiRISE’s image captured the fallout of these icy blasts, and the dark surface particles within them, which are carried by the winds in different directions. As the particles fall, they leave these characteristic fans on the terrain. Some vents produce multiple different streaks that reveal the direction of the wind at different times.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkgy9v/stunning-picture-reveals-weird-polygons-on-mars

maximus otter

I don't believe the face is an artificial structure, but the debunking photos never made it look less like a face to me, just an old, weathered, and crumbling face.
I read a suggestion it is not a humanoid face but that of a male lion (a book on the Viking missions I read in 2011?) The claim was that a maned lion stands up better under scrutiny from different angles. Then you’ll like this:

https://marsroverblog.com/t/what-nasa-and-esa-are-not-showing-you/9351

In Cydonia, you can see a ‘man’, ‘roaring lion’ eagles’….

Have to say, I can see the man… hmmm

Stunning Picture Reveals Weird 'Polygons' on Mars

The most powerful camera ever sent to another planet has snapped a mesmerizing picture of a bizarre springtime phenomenon on Mars, which paints the red planet with dramatic bright fans of dry ice that erupt from vents in its polar regions.

1655908000619-esp0734710950.jpeg

This patterned alien landscape was imaged in March by NASA’s High Resolution Imaging Experiment (HIRISE), onboard its Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter.

The terrain has been sculpted into these polygons by water ice that is frozen into the soil at the planet’s high latitudes. The borders of these shapes, which stretch like white stitches across the Martian surface, are further frayed during springtime by ice transforming directly from a solid to a gas, a process called sublimation, which produces blasts of dry ice.

HiRISE’s image captured the fallout of these icy blasts, and the dark surface particles within them, which are carried by the winds in different directions. As the particles fall, they leave these characteristic fans on the terrain. Some vents produce multiple different streaks that reveal the direction of the wind at different times.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkgy9v/stunning-picture-reveals-weird-polygons-on-mars

maximus otter
Reminds me of salt flats on earth.

Orbiter Discovers "Mysterious Shapes" Inside Mars Craters

NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter has captured images of "mysterious shapes" inside massive craters, as MRO team member Paul Geissler wrote last week.

The discovery, as evidenced in stunning images captured by MRO's HiRise camera, has scientists intrigued. The dazzling patterns etched into the Martian surface, Geissler and his team believe, may represent the permanent markings left behind by Martian ice heated by the Sun, a fascinating glimpse into the planet's extensive and water-rich history.

The deposits were only found inside craters in the northern plains of Arabia Terra, a large and heavily eroded and cratered region north of the equator.

Geissler and his team suspect these puzzling features are caused by ice-rich material turning from a solid into a gas, with each terrace representing a different stage in this process.

https://futurism.com/the-byte/orbiter-discovers-mysterious-shapes-inside-mars-craters

maximus otter

Internet Erupts as NASA Spots Cartoon Bear on Surface of Mars

NASA's University of Arizona-based High-Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) gave the internet an absolute treat yesterday, in the shape of an unusually mammalian feature spotted on the surface of the Red Planet by NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter.

"The circular fracture pattern might be due to the settling of a deposit over a buried impact crater," the HiRISE team posited. "Maybe the nose is a volcanic or mud vent and the deposit could be lava or mud flows?"

"The fact that NASA is hiding the truth about life on Mars is unbearable," tweeted another skeptical netizen.

https://futurism.com/the-byte/orbiter-spots-cartoon-bear-on-mars

maximus otter

NASA scientists baffled as 'unusual' red circles appear on the surface of Mars

NASA's top boffins are confused by a series of circles spotted in new imagery of Mars.

The latest pictures of the Red Planet show sand dunes, which are not unusual to see up there, but there are in the shape of perfect circles.

And this is what has left NASA baffled.

2_SWNS_MARS_CIRCLES_03.jpg

The space agency's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) spotted the shapes as it studied how frost thaws at the end of Martian winter.

NASA explains: "Sand dunes of many shapes and sizes are common on Mars. In this example, the dunes are almost perfectly circular, which is unusual.

"They are still slightly asymmetrical, with steep slip faces on the south ends. This indicates that sand generally moves to the south, but the winds may be variable.

"This is part of a series of images to monitor how frost disappears in the late winter; this observation appears to be free of frost."

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/nasa-scientists-baffled-unusual-red-29402315#

maximus otter

Astronauts claim space smells like burnt gunpowder that collected on their space suits.

Scientists claim that mars has so much sulfur in the thin atmosphere that the “ rotten egg “ smell would be intolerable to someone on the Mar’s surface.

Maybe if there are Martians, they can handle this stinky smell.

Astronauts claim space smells like burnt gunpowder that collected on their space suits.

Scientists claim that mars has so much sulfur in the thin atmosphere that the “ rotten egg “ smell would be intolerable to someone on the Mar’s surface.

Maybe if there are Martians, they can handle this stinky smell.
Very similar to the alleged smell of bigfoot..................

Back