• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mars Surface Anomalies Viewed From Orbit / Afar

I don't know about the "A", "C", or "G", but the "FX" could be a little joke by the folks who offer this as proof of our Martian brethren. ;)

I'm bumping this, as a question about 'cemeteries on Mars' came up on another thread. Could the article be talking about this? (Pictures at the link)

In the above image from strip M03-05186, get your eyes down close to the screen for detailed examination and you should see that each tiny object in the large dark area is rectangular in shape and each is uniform in size and height with its neighbors and just one of thousands of such objects in long closely packed rows constituting the great mass of these structures you see here. Even more importantly, the precision of their placement is so exact that each object fits precisely in rows at right angle to each other like headstones in a military cemetery. It should be obvious to anyone, especially in light of variations in the terrain under these structures that should have but didn't force more compromises in their precise placements, that this kind of exacting and rigid precision is most definitely not characteristic of any natural geology or causation but is very characteristic of forethought, planning, artificiality, and the manipulations of intelligent life.

http://www.marsanomalyresearch.com/evid ... dings1.htm

I mean, hell, I don't know what I'm looking at when I'm looking at a photo of Mars, but I think it's far more likely these guys are seeing into the film what they hope to see. Just, MHO, of course.

It looks to me like the effects of wind streaking dust around. Instead of looking at them as shadows they could be streaks of dark coloured soil or something exposed by one of the many dust storms on Mars. Remember in the info provided under each image ( this one is http://www.msss.com/moc_gallery/m07_m12 ... 02491.html ) shows the pixel width on the image represents 11 meters on the ground. They look a few pixels across so they are all around 30-50 meters wide, making these very fat tree's ( but of course they arnt trees ). Also, when a higher resolution camera images the same area of land on a future mars bound probe, you will probably find its just something mundane.
Remeber the so called face on mars, what a load of nonsense that was. UFO zealots thought it was some sort of pyramide/face structure ( rofl ) when it just turned out to be a rather flat piece of land when higher resolution images were provided by the Mars Global Surveyor.

source

Probe images 'smiley face' crater

Surface with a smile: Crater Galle

Enlarge Image
Images taken by Europe's Mars Express spacecraft show a crater on the Red Planet that looks like a "happy face".

Crater Galle contains parallel gullies on its southern rim, a possible sign of liquid water running on Mars' surface.

Its interior has also been shaped by the action of wind and shows signs of "dust devil" tracks, which have removed the bright surface coating of dust.

A US space agency (Nasa) orbiter has also sent back its first colour image after arriving at Mars on 11 March.

The "face" in the European images was first pointed out in photos taken during Nasa's Viking Orbiter 1 mission.

The 230km- (143 mile-) wide impact crater contains a large stack of layered sediments which forms an outcrop in the southern part of the crater.

Lowered orbit

The US space agency's (Nasa) Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) had already returned black and white images from its high-resolution cameras.

Nasa's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter has taken its first colour image of the Red Planet

Mission scientists have now released a colour image of the eastern eastern Bosporos Planum region.

This is not natural colour as seen by our eyes, but infrared colour, which is shifted to longer wavelengths. The image has also been processed to enhance subtle colour variations.

The southern half of the scene is brighter and bluer than the northern half, perhaps due to early-morning fog in the atmosphere.

MRO's cameras will take the most detailed images ever of the Red Planet. Once the orbiter has descended to its lower mapping orbit, the cameras will be able to pick out objects just under 1m (3ft) across.

Ice geysers 'discovered on Mars'

Geysers spewing sand and dust hundreds of feet into the air have been discovered on Mars, scientists say.

Images from a camera orbiting Mars have shown the 100mph jets of carbon dioxide erupt through ice at the planet's south pole, Arizona State University says.

The orbiting camera, called the Thermal Emission Imaging System (Themis), is on the Mars Odyssey probe.

The geyser debris leaves dark spots, fan-like markings and spider-shaped features on the ice cap.

The scientists said geysers erupted when sunlight warming the ice turned frozen carbon dioxide underground into high-pressure gas.

"If you were there, you'd be standing on a slab of carbon dioxide ice," said the university's Dr Phil Christensen.

"All around you, roaring jets of CO2 gas are throwing sand and dust a couple of hundred feet into the air."

Dr Christensen said the process was "unlike anything that occurs on Earth".

His team discovered the jets through examining more than 200 Themis visible and infrared images. The findings were published in the latest edition of the journal Nature.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5268892.stm

admit it... how many of you searched for the infamous face? :D

Jane.

I did!
When I found it I couldn't get close enough to see it properly.
GM looks nice though [as in picturesque what with those colours etc].

;)

That didn't occur to me. I've found it now, but you can't see much.

Cool site, though I got a bit nervous when I saw someone waving back at me.
has anyone found the face of mars yet? or that mysterious "Mars Bar" that we see advertised every where?

yetifeet1975 said:
Cool site, though I got a bit nervous when I saw someone waving back at me.

That's nothing, I'm sure I saw a puff of green smoke...

Hey where did all the canals go!?

I suspect a cover up!

Great stuff. Now wait for the upsurge in internet posting by people who think they's spotted evidence of the Martians....about 10 minutes should do it.

It's a bit odd, when you zoom all the way out, you sort of get the whole of the map x4, which makes it look like some sort of weird fractal thingy...

Wonder if a google titan is in the pipeline...

BlackRiverFalls said:
Wonder if a google titan is in the pipeline...

It's Google Uranus that'll confuse some people....

I found something that looks like a giant remote control... wonder what the reception's like up there?

When I zoom up close, though, the whole thing just looks like my brother's forehead...... :shock:

And hi sunsplash1, greetings from next door! :lol:

mejane1 said:
admit it... how many of you searched for the infamous face? :D

Jane.
Cydonia? But I hardly know ya!

I'm here all week.

Anyone found a canal, yet? Were there any narrowboats on it?

I did find some most convincing canals, but I didn't keep it and I don't know where to look now.

Conspiracy theorists must face the truth of Mars hill

New images of the "face" on Mars have been obtained by Europe's Mars Express spacecraft. They reinforce what scientists thought from the beginning – that the face is just a naturally sculpted hill.

The "face" appeared in a photo of Mars's Cydonia region taken in 1976 by NASA's Viking 1 spacecraft. NASA scientists believed from the beginning that the feature was simply a hill that happened to look like a face because of the way the Sun cast shadows across it at the time the photo was taken.

However, the image sparked speculation that the face was built by aliens and that NASA was trying to cover it up.

The agency used the Mars Global Surveyor spacecraft to take new images of the region in 1998 and 2001. The new, much more detailed images showed a hill with no particular resemblance to a face (see Martian conspiracy theorists lose face).

Email campaign
But since the European Space Agency's Mars Express spacecraft arrived at Mars in 2003, many unconvinced members of the general public have been asking mission scientists to take more images of the feature.

"So many people wrote me emails – hundreds – saying, 'Why don't you image Cydonia, tell us the truth, we don't believe NASA,'" says Gerhard Neukum of the Free University of Berlin, Germany, chief scientist for Mars Express's High Resolution Stereo Camera (HRSC).

Mission controllers have been trying to get images of the region since 2004 but had been thwarted until recently by dust and haze in the atmosphere. Finally, on 22 July 2006, the team obtained clear images of the region with the HRSC.

By making observations of the area from slightly different angles as the spacecraft moved through its orbit, mission scientists have been able to build a 3D map of the "face" and the surrounding area.

Sculpted by erosion
The hill that sparked so much speculation is clearly seen in the new images to be a natural feature shaped by erosion, says Agustin Chicarro, ESA's chief scientist for Mars Express.

"My grandfather used to collect pieces of wood that look like birds or dogs or things like that," he told New Scientist. "This is the same thing – people get excited and see what they want to see. What has modelled these reliefs is simply erosion."

Neukum agrees. "It’s a mountainous structure and there's no artificial thing. These are mounds that have survived a general erosional process," he told New Scientist.

The whole area was once as high as the tops of the hills in the region, he says, but most of it has eroded down, with a few more resistant areas surviving as hills. The erosion is probably the result of ancient glaciers or perhaps liquid water carving into the rock, he says.

http://www.newscientistspace.com/articl ... -hill.html

Timble2
It's Google Uranus that'll confuse some people....

Dec 10, 1987 Uranus Probe vanishes in a proton storm only five days from reaching orbit. Next time maybe?

I just thought Timble2 was expecting a probe, what with her asteroids and all, it brings tears to my eyes to even contemplate.
:wince:

I do believe there are genuine anomalies on Mars.

Last edited by a moderator:
OldTimeRadio said:
I do believe there are genuine anomalies on Mars.
But what's a "genuine anomaly"? If it's an anomaly, what makes it genuine? I'm quite happy to believe that there are rocks on Mars which look a bit like something othere than merely a rock when viewed from a certain angle, but I haven't yet seen anything that is categorically not a trick of the light or a puzzling shadow.

I'm still hoping that something does turn up on Mars or the Moon, though. I'd love it if closer investigation showed that there were genuine pyramids in Cydonia, or shattered crystal domes on the moon, as Richard Hoagland seems to believe. That's a great site to get lost in for an hour or two, BTW.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I meant is that there are things on Mars which strike me as being very, very ancient and incredibly weathered structures.

And I can't see where their like appears on any other planet or moon of the solar system (excepting Earth itself, of course). Why only on Mars?

[Yes, I'm aware that some observers have claimed to see structures and giant machines on the Moon. But the presented "evidence" for those is entirely drawings and sketches, NOT photographs.]

The two most evocative Martian anomalies for me are the so-called "Inca City" and the extremely large "building" known by the name of "the Facility."

I may be just plain wrong about all of this, but none of us are going to know for certain, one way or the other, until we actually set up base on the Red Planet. And the debate may not end even them.

OldTimeRadio said:
I'm aware that some observers have claimed to see structures and giant machines on the Moon. But the presented "evidence" for those is entirely drawings and sketches, NOT photographs.
Actually, if you go to that site I linked above, there ARE claimed photographs of giant domes and other strucures on the moon. I'm not saying for one minute that I see what others apparently do when I look at these photos, but they're up there, nonetheless. The site also contains a number of interesting images of the Martian anomalies.

As for your observations about Mars, my gut feeling is that we won't know the truth unless and until there's a privately funded mission to look at these sites. And that applies to the moon as well. Unfortunately, that would require either a major leap forward in technology or the emergence of one or two adventurous multi-billionaires.

The problem with all this sort of 'evidence' is that it doesn't seem any different from the 'evidence' that used to insist that there were canals on Mars. Or that there was a 'face' on Mars.

The other problem is that, if all of this 'evidence' does indeed point to structures being on Mars, isn't it a little odd that such things are pretty much recognisable to us? Not very alien is it? For all we know, there could be alien objects on Mars, but we have no way of recognising them as such. But, as usual, it seems that such 'alien' stuff is always something that we can pretty much readily recognise ;)

*cough!* Simulacra *cough!*

Jerry_B said:
The problem with all this sort of 'evidence' is that it doesn't seem any different from the 'evidence' that used to insist that there were canals on Mars. Or that there was a 'face' on Mars.

The other problem is that, if all of this 'evidence' does indeed point to structures being on Mars, isn't it a little odd that such things are pretty much recognisable to us? Not very alien is it? For all we know, there could be alien objects on Mars, but we have no way of recognising them as such. But, as usual, it seems that such 'alien' stuff is always something that we can pretty much readily recognise ;)

*cough!* Simulacra *cough!*
Well, if we didn't recognise something, how could we know that we were seeing something?

Most shapes boil down to something fairly simple, geometrically. Artificial shapes, would be most recognisable by being 'not natural looking'.

One of the popular theories about Martian structures is that they were built by the same entities responsible for the pyramids. It's a persistent theory and therefore more alternative Mars watchers are looking for pyramid shaped features.

I haven't seen anything more about those weird, tube like structures, allegedly threading through the Martian surface, that someone had photos of on their site. Have they just vanished away?

Where are all the high def. photos from the European Space Agency satellite, Mars Express? What are they hiding from us? ;)

That assumes somewhat that Martians build things in the same way we do, at least in ways that we would recognise. I think that this sort 'evidence' is nothing more than simulacra (and at many times removed from the object itself). First we had 'canals', now we have 'structures', etc..

Jerry_B said:
That assumes somewhat that Martians build things in the same way we do, at least in ways that we would recognise. I think that this sort 'evidence' is nothing more than simulacra (and at many times removed from the object itself). First we had 'canals', now we have 'structures', etc..
Not necessarily, unless your suggesting some sort of Cthullan 'non-Euclidian' geometry for the Martian 'structures'?

An important rule about artificial structures is that they tend to adapt their forms to the materials available and the limitations of the tools used to shape them. Hence the prevalence of pyramid shaped structures around planet Earth. ;)

All I'm saying is that Martian structures may not look at all like what we'd 'expect', so we may not recognise them at all. It seems to me that talk of 'structures' on Mars are people imprinting onto to shapes what they expect things to look like, or want to look like. The Martian 'face' is one example - it's 'anamolous' shape and 'features' turned out to be nothing at all like what people were saying it looked like for years.

Pietro_Mercurios said:
I haven't seen anything more about those weird, tube like structures, allegedly threading through the Martian surface, that someone had photos of on their site. Have they just vanished away?
There are two apparently tube like features which some people think are anomalies; one is a peculiar type of dry river which looks like a tube but is actually a channel with a hemispherical cross-section;
http://www.unarius.org/mars/glass-tubes.jpg
it looks like a tube because we mistakenly see it as sticking up out of the ground, when it is in fact dug into the ground by rapidly evaporating water. Remember Mars is a very different planet to Earth; water is almost always frozen there, but if it melts, it flows, and as it flows, it boils in the near vacuum. Imagine how different our rivers would look it they were rapidly boiling away even as they flowed.

The other kind of tube anomaly on Mars is the lava-tube; these have grown to massive size, perhaps because of the low gravity
http://www.thunderbolts.info/tpod/2005/ ... gamite.jpg
and there is some debate over the mechanisms involved. But they look natural, rather than artificial, to me; this doesn't detract from their unusual nature.

Where are all the high def. photos from the European Space Agency satellite, Mars Express? What are they hiding from us? ;)
Try here for a start;
http://berlinadmin.dlr.de/Missions/expr ... _eng.shtml
ESA are a little more reticent about publishing their images, unlike NASA; I think this is something to do with the multinational aspect of the program. NASA publishes all its images free of copyright, which is why you find them on so many diverse sites.

Jerry_B said:

Some current theories still insist that the Face exists, only that it is MUCH older, and therefore much more weathered and eroded, than previously believed.

But the "Face" question to which I've never received a really good answer is how the NASA enhancer managed to turn a jumble of rocks into such a convincing human face. Was the enhanced PROGRAMMED to LOOk for Faces? The enhancer all by its lonesome shouldn't have recognized the difference between a face and a Ferris wheel.

"Accidental" doesn't seem to cut it, since everybody not only recognized the Face on sight, but apparently the SAME face. (I ran some informal tests on this back in later 1976 with people seeing the Face for the first time and not having the slightest idea what to expect). NOBODY saw a duckie or a horsie. And, to answer the next question, nobody saw just an outrcropping of rock.

Back