• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mattress Shop Conspiracy?

Andy X

AWOL
Well, this a new one on me.

It's been observed that an American mattress firm called Mattress Firm (clever double meaning, though some prefer a bed with a bit more 'give') has for some reason an enormous number of stores in close proximity, even located across the street from one another. Why so many? Can there really be such a demand for mattresses? Is it in fact part of an enormous money-laundering operation?

Here's a handful of links:

https://www.wbur.org/endlessthread/2018/09/21/the-great-mattress-conspiracy

https://thenextweb.com/distract/201...attresses-is-everything-we-love-about-reddit/

Mattress Firm grew by purchasing and absorbing 4 or 5 competing mattress / bedding chains over the last dozen years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mattress_Firm

This probably explains why multiple stores branded as Mattress Firm locations were located close to each other.

Mattress Firm entered Chapter 11 bankruptcy last autumn, and they're in the process of closing hundreds of unprofitable stores.

Mattress Firm grew by purchasing and absorbing 4 or 5 competing mattress / bedding chains over the last dozen years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mattress_Firm

This probably explains why multiple stores branded as Mattress Firm locations were located close to each other.

Mattress Firm entered Chapter 11 bankruptcy last autumn, and they're in the process of closing hundreds of unprofitable stores.

There was bound to be a bedding down period after the mergers.

That makes perfect sense.

Probably no secret evil plot then ... shame - I rather liked the idea of such a mundane conspiracy!

I rather liked the idea of such a mundane conspiracy!

Here's one you might like. All the various branded food/coffee franchises on British railway stations are owned by one company. So when your train's late and you while away the time waiting for it with a snack, you're putting money into the pockets of the same people, and they're delighted about the delay.

I read that in the Times business section a few months ago.

Here's one you might like. All the various branded food/coffee franchises on British railway stations are owned by one company. So when your train's late and you while away the time waiting for it with a snack, you're putting money into the pockets of the same people, and they're delighted about the delay.

I read that in the Times business section a few months ago.

Is that right? Very interesting ... I've occasionally elected to be mugged for an unreasonable quantity of coin for a simple ham and cheese croisssant at those places. The prices at the station WH Smith shops (of those products that can't be controlled, i.e. food and drink) are often jaw-dropping.

What is the name of this comapny - or even 'company', please?

I'm afraid I probably offended a WHS employee by wandering into one of their overlit claustrophobic railway bunkers to look at the sandwich prices, saying 'oh, fuck off' out loud, and wandering out again, not realising he was at my shoulder going about his semi-lawful business. I'm sure he had the sense not to take it personally.

Last edited:
Is that right? Very interesting ... I've occasionally elected to be mugged for an unreasonable quantity of coin for a simple ham and cheese croisssant at those places. The prices at the station WH Smith shops (of those products that can't be controlled, i.e. food and drink) are often jaw-dropping.

What is the name of this comapny - or even 'company', please?

I'm afraid I probably offended a WHS employee by wandering into one of their overlit claustrophobic railway bunkers to look at the sandwich prices, saying 'oh, fuck off' out loud, and wandering out again, not realising he was at my shoulder going about his semi-lawful business. I'm sure he had the sense not to take it personally.

Can't remember the company name now but a bit of digging would find it.

You can find cheaper food in shops outside stations. It's worth a stroll if your train's late. Two colleagues of mine recently compared Burger King prices and found a £3 difference between two identical meals, one at Birmingham International station and the other 5 minutes' walk outside Milton Keynes Central.

Absolutely. Of course the worst are those on the other side of the ticket barrier in which a packet of crisps might cost the captive consumer at least £1.50. I think it's still possible to show a valid ticket to a human and be allowed to go out and in again to visit nearby 'normal' shops.

The UK railway station catering company is called SSP (Select Service Partners) - the railway business came out of Britsh Rail’s Traveller’s Fare on privatisation, which was itself a descendant of British Transport Hotels.

On the main road that leads into the city centre there's a large retail unit, currently empty. It's not really a retail area, it's mostly nightclubs and takeaways.

For years the premises were occupied by a lamp shop. How they stayed open so long is a mystery since I hardly ever saw any customers in there.

Then the lamp shop closed and a mattress business moved in. Again, it lasted several years despite an apparent lack of customers.

The road is popular with rough sleepers. Because the mattress shop had a sizeable concrete overhang thingy, the rough sleepers would often shelter from the rain beneath it.

This apparently infuriated the management. They took to taping hand written posters to their windows saying things like "Don't give money to the beggars - they're not genuine homeless!"

Anyhow the mattress shop has closed but the rough sleepers are still there.

Back