• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

May Day

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
It's May Day, but we don't seem to have a thread on it anywhere.

Any fun celebrations going on in your neck of the woods?

In Cornwall we have the famous Padstow Obby Oss celebrations (tomorrow, this year, on the bank holiday Monday).

http://www.cornishlight.co.uk/padstow-obby.htm

We also have the Helston Furry, which started out as a May Day celebration, but they stuck with the 'old' calendar, so as a result it's now about a week later!

http://www.tradamis.co.uk/sw6627.htm

Plenty more about both on the web

So, not much happening then.

Or else you're all out doing things and too busy to report back here...

(And I'm just feeling sad and bored. :( )

I've been skipping round my Maypole, wearing nothing but my tinfoil hat :oops:

*Goes for lie down*

Don't worry, ol' sport! I was out having drinkies and a few card games with a friend while spotting the Kylie Minogue fans infesting the local boozers before seeing her gig at Earls Court.
I wonder at the wisdom of a whole week in the one venue - I'd have thought she might've been good for a couple of days but anything more would be a drag.
Anyhooo - did yer have a good May Day?

Well, went out carolling with the Workers' Sociallist People's Alliance, and finished off with a barbecue over a burning effigy of John Howard...

I went to a large hippy type party around a fire. Being on a saturday/sunday, it was bigger than I'd ever seen it and also managed to secure massive amounts of alcohol. I really enjoyed it. Lots of people playing drums etc, fireworks. I went to bed at about 4:30 so didn't see all the traditional oxford may morning celebrations (which I still have never seen and first read about in alabama!), although John Otway was playing in a local pub. (which I couldn't afford).

Never personally seen John Otway perform but friends have and apparently it's well worth starving for a few days just to see him.

May Day is being celebrated by me with red wine at a riducously early hour and bacon sandwiches........but did go and wipe my face yesterday with the dew (rain?) from my lawn to ensure my looks for another year (I think thats a May Day tradition or perhaps something that only my crazy family do).

Georgina said:
Never personally seen John Otway perform but friends have and apparently it's well worth starving for a few days just to see him.

I've seen him. Dunno about doing the starving bit, but he's a great entertainer.

"Beware of the flowers,
'Cause I'm sure they're going to get you
Yeh"

Five in hospital over bridge jump

At least five people remain in hospital after breaking limbs during Oxford's traditional May Day bridge jump.
The police have criticised revellers who took part in the jump from Magdalen Bridge into the River Cherwell.

They estimate that about 12,000 people attended celebrations in the city centre on Sunday morning, which have been at the centre of safety concerns.

Oxfordshire Ambulance NHS Trust said they had to take 10 people to the JR2 hospital for emergency treatment.

Insp Justin Archer said: "I am extremely disappointed that so many people have ignored the advice issued by ourselves, the ambulance service and city council.

"With water levels at little more than knee-deep still people ignored warnings and jumped from the bridge, injuring themselves and others.

"Around half of those that jumped received injuries that required treatment from paramedics and I am sad to say that there have been a number of serious injuries, from badly broken legs and ankles, chest injuries, serious lacerations and even spinal injuries.

"I only hope that some of these injuries will help educate people that what may seem just a harmless bit of fun could have profound effects on someone's health."

Every year thousands of people gather on and around the bridge to hear choristers sing hymns at dawn from the tower at Magdalen College.

But the authorities have been keen to stop people jumping off the bridge and Insp Archer warned Sunday's incident could have effects on the event as a whole.

The ambulance service's operational manager Adrian Fellows said: "All the casualties occurred in a very short space of time, putting pressure on this service and the hospital's Emergency Department.

"All of the injuries could have been avoided and even when those who were hurt were telling people still on the bridge not to jump, they continued to do so.

"Jumping into such a shallow river, which is also full of rubbish, is madness."

The bridge was closed during the celebrations for three years until 2001 after one young reveller was left paralysed.

In 2003, a handful of people jumped into the river after climbing over a two-metre security fence.

A year later safety barriers were erected and stewards stopped people from jumping into the river.

A spokesman for Thames Valley Police said there were no arrests this year and the bridge itself was clear of revellers by about 0700 BST.
BBC
And this is the cream of our younger generation...? :roll:

Every year they're told "Don't jump off the bridge, prat!". Every year they get drunk and do it anyway.
This is why it costs so much to enter a top University - that kind of stupidity is a genetic thing and don't want the "Idiot" gene to get bred out all together by bringing in lower class blood.
The argument used is it's 'Tradition'. Regardless of the injuries, tradition means you carry out pointlessly dangerous actions which have no current link to any 'traditional' rites.

My GF has been going to Magdalen bridge (not for the jumping!) for the last 5 years or so.We were both planning to go but instead of getting up early we tried to stay up all night (as we were out drinking) but failed. :(

Yes every year there is the same old warnings...the waters really shallow so dont jump, but hey they still jump! I guess 12 hours of drinking kinda blinds your senses as well as your common sense.

There was for many years a tradition of a bonfire at Texas A&M University, related to football I think. Texas A&M teaches among other things engineering. After years of warnings, the structure collapsed during construction killing 12 people. There is still an annual bonfire at Texas A&M.

Back