• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Right but this was the big one in pop culture. It's been mentioned in chat room to History Channel since 2003 in my experience, but probably spans much further back than this.

SameOldVardoger said:
ramonmercado said:
SameOldVardoger said:
Finally the day we have been waiting for since Y2K, because that was a disappointment. I see another disappointment on the horizon.

Hopefully the 21 dec fanatics will shut their mouth when the day has passed.
Unfortunately I've already read about new dates, like 05/05/15, I think it was.

Y2K was a disappointment because of the Trojan work by people like myself making legacy systems Y2K compliant.

You did a great job. I remember around 1995, it was: "Y2K, WTF now?" in the media. And people was worried computers would stop and electricity shut down.

A monument should be built to the analysts and programmers who stopped the planes from falling. :)

ramonmercado said:
SameOldVardoger said:
ramonmercado said:
SameOldVardoger said:
Finally the day we have been waiting for since Y2K, because that was a disappointment. I see another disappointment on the horizon.

Y2K was a disappointment because of the Trojan work by people like myself making legacy systems Y2K compliant.

You did a great job. I remember around 1995, it was: "Y2K, WTF now?" in the media. And people was worried computers would stop and electricity shut down.

A monument should be built to the analysts and programmers who stopped the planes from falling. :)

If you came asking for that the response would have been "Why did you fuck it up in the first place?"

rynner2 said:
A graph of the sun's declination declines from its northerly maximum in June to reach its southerly minimum on December 21st, at 1112 UTC..

And then what happens? The sun starts to trundle back north again! 8)
So, Happy Winter Solstice, everyone! :D

At 1112 GMT I shall break open my Xmas booze, and raise a glass to the fact that from then on the days will be getting longer! 8)

Winter solstice celebrated at Stonehenge

People are gathering at Stonehenge later to mark the winter solstice.

etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-20797129

Happy Winter Solstice.

Time to buy the important Yule aquavit for the Solstice celebrations on Monday. We celebrate Yule Blot or as you say Christmas, in Norway on the 24th of December. There's no religious celebrations in my family.

We still use the word Yule(Jul) from before the christian religion came to Norway.

l%C3%B8iten%20linie.low.jpg

Raises glass: "The solstice!"

:_pished:

rynner2 said:
Raises glass: "The solstice!"

:_pished:

Mytho raises pint of Red Bull: "Cheers!"

Mayan Apocalypse: world survives predicted doomsday
Expected apocalypse time of 11.11 GMT comes and goes without major incident, as celebrations around the world mark the end of the Mayan calendar.
By Joel Gunter
11:45AM GMT 20 Dec 2012

Thousands of people around the world anxiously awaiting the end of the world on Friday have seen the predicted time of the world's end come and go without incident.

The end of the Mayan 'Long Count' calendar on December 21st was thought by many to herald the apocalypse, with the end expected by many at 11.11 GMT. The date marks the end of an era that lasted over 5,000 years, or 13 "bak'tuns", according to the calendar.

Events around the world to mark the date included gatherings at Mayan ruins, holy sites in southern Mexico, a sacred mountain in France, Stalin's bunker in Moscow, and Bugarach in the French Pyrenees, where doomsday believers waited for aliens to whisk them to safety.

But dawn broke in Mexico and the morning passed peacefully in France, where journalists outnumbered those seeking salvation and a party atmosphere prevailed. 8)

Fears of mass suicides, power cuts, a magnetic shift in the poles, and a collision with a previously unsighted planet hurtling toward Earth circulated on the Internet in the run up to the day.

Scholars and scientists and even modern Mayans sought to debunk the myths, pointing out that the end of the 13th bak'tun in the civilisation's calendar was simply the beginning of a new cycle. Speculation persisted however, and authorities around the world took action over rumours and planned gatherings.

In China, police arrested nearly 100 people for spreading rumours about December 21st and authorities in Argentina restricted access to a mountain popular with UFO-spotters after rumors began spreading that a mass suicide was planned.

The mayor of Bugarach was forced to plead with fanatics to stay away from the small French village and police in the village banned two rave parties in the surroundings and blocked several people attempting to reach the peak of its 1,230m mountain.

One man seeking to reach the top was arrested in possession of a Taser, said Eric Freysselinard, the local government official. A party of four young British men evaded gendarmes to reach the peak and watch the sun rise. They claimed to be the only people to have take photographs at dawn, but the only “UFOs” they sawy were just clouds shaped like flying saucers.
“We left at 3am and arrived at 7am. We went up without any lights. Whenever we saw police we went in another direction. The police didn’t get out of their cars. We went up the back way,” Will Hartley, 26, a photographer from London told the Telegraph.

The group had already climbed the mountain and stayed in a cave earlier in the week but were caught by police.
“Neither he nor his friends believed in the end of the world scenario but were delighted to have get to the top. I thought we would see people up there but we saw nobody.”
“We wanted to say we had been there on 21st December and we did it.”

Frédéric, 28, an unemployed waiter from Marseille and his brother Laurent, 35, said they had hoped to be whisked away by an “interdimensional vortex” on the mount but said they were “not disappointed” when it failed to materialise.

In Britain, hundreds gathered at Stonehenge to celebrate the Mayan date, which coincides with the Winter Solstice.
Arthur Uther Pendragon, Britain's best-known druid, told the Associated Press he was anticipating a much larger Winter Solstice crowd than usual at the historic site but did not expect the end of the world.
"We're looking at it more as a new beginning than an end," he said. "We're looking at new hope."

Maya experts and scientists have maintained that the civilisation's calendar had not predicted the world's end.
"The whole thing was a misconception from the very beginning," said Dr. John Carlson, director of the Center for Archaeoastronomy. "The Maya calendar did not end on Dec. 21, 2012, and there were no Maya prophecies foretelling the end of the world on that date."

"Think of it like Y2K," James Fitzsimmons, a Maya expert at Middlebury College in Vermont told Reuters. "It's the end of one cycle and the beginning of another cycle."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... msday.html

And Matt's cartoon shows a Xmas shopper looking at a window display:

"50% off Mayan Calendars"

:D

Me? Just a bottle of Chardy - how boring!

Got to do better on the next doomsday. By the way - what IS the next doomsday? Is anyone predicting yet?

Zilch5 said:
Me? Just a bottle of Chardy - how boring!

Got to do better on the next doomsday. By the way - what IS the next doomsday? Is anyone predicting yet?

It's on the 13th of the 13th, 20.....oh hang on a minute. :)

SameOldVardoger said:
ramonmercado said:
SameOldVardoger said:
ramonmercado said:
SameOldVardoger said:

If you came asking for that the response would have been "Why did you fuck it up in the first place?"
Nah, actually the general response would be "But Y2K was all a beat up. I mean, nothing happened, so there was never a problem to start with."

However, as Ramonmercado said, it didn't happen because people went out there and fixed it beforehand. (At the same time, a lot of the apocalyptic predictions were absurd.)

Yeah some predictions re Y2K were crazy. But if the Department of Social Welfare systems had not been made Y2K compliant then then there would have been problems in January 2000. Next on the agenda was making the systems Euro compliant. That involved a lot of work as well.

World's end passes without incident
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 21720.html
ALEXANDRA ALPER in Chichen Itza, Mexico

Sat, Dec 22, 2012

Dawn broke over ancient holy sites in southern Mexico to celebrations yesterday, ushering in the start of a new era for the Maya people that had been billed as a possible end of the world. A mix of mystics, hippies and tourists from around the world descended on the ruins of Maya cities to mark the close of the 13th bak’tun – a period of about 400 years – and many hoped it would lead to a better era for humanity.

After the sun went up in Mexico and the world continued to spin, visitors to the Maya heartland gave thanks.

The end of the bak’tun in the 5,125-year-old Long Calendar of the Maya had raised scattered fears around the globe that the end is nigh or that lesser catastrophe lay in store. However, to the people congregating in the imposing ruins of the city of Chichen Itza, a focal point for the celebrations in Mexico, it was quite the opposite.

Fears of mass suicides, huge power cuts, natural disasters, epidemics or an asteroid hurtling toward Earth have circulated on the internet ahead of December 21st.

A US scholar said in the 1960s that the end of the 13th bak’tun could be seen as a kind of Armageddon for the Maya. Over time, the idea snowballed into a belief by some that the Maya calendar had predicted the earth’s destruction.

A few minutes before the north pole reached its position furthest from the sun yesterday, a spotlight illuminated the western flank of the Temple of the serpent god Kukulkan, a 100-foot pyramid at the heart of Chichen Itza. Then a group of five English-speaking tourists dressed in white faced the pyramid with their arms raised. As the sun climbed into the sky, a man with dreadlocks played a didgeridoo at the north end of the pyramid while a group of tourists meditated on brightly coloured mats.

In Turkey, thousands of tourists flocked to Sirince, a picturesque village east of the Aegean Sea that believers in a potential cataclysm had said would be spared.

In Bugarach, France, a village that was said to be harbouring an alien spacecraft in a nearby mountain that would enable people to survive an apocalypse, authorities cordoned off the area, fearing an influx of doomsday believers. But on Friday, journalists and party-goers outnumbered the survivalists. – (Reuters)

We have a global crisis today and previous global crisises created world war 1 (before the first world war owners of this world order could not describe a definition as global crisis, because people did not have such a perception, but today it is known clearly by some that a strong worldwide economic depression occurred conditions of the first world war) and world war 2 (as you know, that's because of the great depression), to my mind a middle east based world war 3 will show up because of global crisis of today. As to the relation between mayans and this possibility, I think Mayans did not predict the date of 12.21.12 as the end of the world. According to Mayans, date of 12.21.12 is the end of the world order that comes until today. However, somehow their this point of view was interpreted different and was marketed as the end of the world and the doomsday. After this date I believe world war three will start between 2012 and 2014 and at the end of this world war a spiritual and communal new world order named "The Golden Age" will come out in the world. This is my perspective (for sure God knows the truest of that).

a few news about new world war condition
http://www.infowars.com/there-will-be-w ... ddle-east/
http://www.infowars.com/iran-warns-patr ... d-war-iii/
http://www.infowars.com/doctor-doom-war ... %E2%80%9D/
http://english.pravda.ru/world/americas ... rld_war-0/

(by the way Alex Jones is one of my favs for kinda issues)

In case this hypothesis helps you deal with this crazy year of 2020 ... Maybe this is the real 2012 doomsday year foretold (so they say ... ) in the Mayan calendar. :nails:
Armageddon still awaits if Mayan calendar theory proves correct

It might seem like the end of the world, given the events of the past few months because of COVID-19 and various global event,s including the ongoing protests in the U.S.

According to a conspiracy theory on Twitter, the reading of the Mayan calendar was wrong.

And while the world didn’t end on Dec. 21, 2012, the date originally pegged by calendar readers, Mayan doomsday is some time this week or next.

“Following the Julian Calendar, we are technically in 2012,” scientist Paolo Tagaloguin tweeted last week, according to the Sun. “The number of days lost in a year due to the shift into Gregorian Calendar is 11 days … For 268 years using the Gregorian Calendar (1752-2020) times 11 days = 2,948 days. 2,948 days / 365 days (per year) = 8 years.”

The series of tweets has since been deleted.

SOURCE: https://torontosun.com/news/weird/armageddon-awaits-if-mayan-calendar-proves-correct

... And this latest spin on the Mayans-predicting-doomsday theme is now debunked. There's even a question whether the alleged author of the Twitter posting even existed in the first place.
NO, THE MAYA DID NOT PREDICT THE END OF THE WORLD ON 21 JUNE 2020

Oh, ridiculous and utterly wrong conspiracy doomsday theories. Will you ever die?

Probably not. Even ones long dead rise, zombie-like, to eat people's brains.

So it's no surprise that the newest one is, paradoxically, an old one. The claim is this: The Maya calendar predicts the end of the world, you see, and due to an incorrect calendar conversion it wasn't on 21 December, 2012, as originally thought, but actually on 21 June, 2020. This weekend. ...

First off, the Maya never predicted the end of the world. That whole 2012 stuff was wrong from the get-go. The Maya calendar, it was said by doomsday mongers, ended on 21 December 2012, and the Maya believed the world would end on that date. ...

Except their calendar didn't end then. They had units of time they counted, just as we do. They didn't use weeks and months and years, but it's the same idea. It turns out that on 21 December 2012 one of their big units rolled over, similar to our date of 1999 turning into 2000. So it's like a new decade or century, that's all. ...

This time, various "news" venues are repeating a story that scholars got the date wrong, and the actual date is next week, on 21 June. They say that a scientist, Paolo Tagaloguin, tweeted about this. In these tweets (since deleted, they claim), Tagaloguin says:

Following the Julian Calendar, we are technically in 2012… The number of days lost in a year due to the shift into Gregorian Calendar is 11 days… For 268 years using the Gregorian Calendar (1752-2020) times 11 days = 2,948 days. 2,948 days / 365 days (per year) = 8 years.

Here's the thing: This is wrong. The Gregorian calendar does not lose 11 days per year! Basically, the Julian calendar, which was widely used a long time ago, didn't account for leap years very well, so hundreds of years ago countries started switching to the Gregorian calendar, which does a better job (though it's a little complicated). When they did, the calendar had to jump forward a bunch of days to compensate for days missed— usually about 10 or 11 days — but it was only done once. Not every year. So the claim that somehow 8 years have been skipped is wrong.

Second, that doesn't matter anyway, because the 21 December 2012 date was converted from the Maya calendar to the Gregorian one in the first place. So there's no reason to even bring the Julian calendar into this. It doesn't make sense. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/no-the-maya-did-not-predict-the-end-of-the-world-on-21-june-2020

Maya Calendar Mystery Solved? Scientists Say They’ve Cracked Its Ancient Code

Among the most intriguing mysteries of our time is the 819-day calendar used by the ancient Maya civilization. A puzzle that baffled scientists near and far for many years, anthropologists from Tulane University may have finally cracked its secrets.

mayan20calendar.jpg

For a long time, researchers suspected that the Maya calendar followed astronomical events, specifically the movement of planets in the night sky as seen from Earth, known as the “synodic periods” of planets. The synodic period is the time it takes for a planet to appear in the same place in the night sky when observed from Earth.

However, according to a study published in Ancient Mesoamerica, the cycles in the Maya calendar cover a much larger timeframe than scholars previously thought. Anthropologists John Linden and Victoria Bricker found that by increasing the calendar length to 20 periods of 819 days, a pattern emerges that matches the synodic periods of all visible planets.

It turns out it takes 20 cycles of 819 days, which is about 45 years, for the calendar to align with the synodic periods of all visible planets.

Within these 20 cycles, each planet goes through some number of synodic periods a whole number of times: Mercury every cycle, Venus every 5 cycles, Saturn every 6 cycles, Jupiter every 19 cycles, and Mars every 20 cycles. While each synodic period is less than 819 days, only Mercury has a synodic period that happens a whole number of times within a single cycle. By combining the cycles, it becomes possible to predict the placement of the planets in the sky.

https://www.spacechatter.com/2023/0...ientists-say-theyve-cracked-its-ancient-code/

maximus otter

Back