• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Meals: Customs / Scheduling / Naming

I'm not sure. Certainly the women are quite slim (as a rule) and they all eat a lot of meat over there too.
(If you are a meateater I strongly suggest having an Argentinian asado/bbq).
I've enjoyed that in an Argentinian restaurant in Nottingham. Loved it!

No diabetics there, then. They're all dead.
@Mythopoeika , I hope you don't mind me over explaining your comment as a response to some comments following it.

My husband became diabetic (insulin dependent) later in his life. When he would have his supper at 1600. We never ate supper together cuz I wasn't even home from work. He would then usually have cereal later before bed.

He still had problems with low blood sugar levels throughout the night.

Just to clear an unspoken assumption that I noticed in prior comments - a pancreas that is not producing insulin as needed by your body, or your body's inability to absorb the insulin properly causes you to become diabetic. Excess body fat can cause you to become diabetic, but this is not the only factor. Not everyone who is diabetic is overweight.

Also if you become insulin dependent, the insulin can cause you to put on weight.

Mytho's comment refers to the schedule of eating numerous small meals throughout the day to maintain a steady level of insulin in your blood.

@Mythopoeika , I hope you don't mind me over explaining your comment as a response to some comments following it.

My husband became diabetic (insulin dependent) later in his life. When he would have his supper at 1600. We never ate supper together cuz I wasn't even home from work. He would then usually have cereal later before bed.

Just to clear an unspoken assumption that I noticed in prior comments - a pancreas that is not producing insulin as needed by your body, or your body's inability to absorb the insulin properly causes you to become diabetic. Excess body fat can cause you to become diabetic, but this is not the only factor. Not everyone who is diabetic is overweight.

Also if you become insulin dependent, the insulin can cause you to put on weight.

Mytho's comment refers to the schedule of eating numerous small meals throughout the day to maintain a steady level of insulin in your blood.
Yes. I am type 2 diabetic and I use insulin. I think it's important to maintain a certain level of blood sugar throughout the day. I guess just eating 1 meal a day, very late wouldn't be any good for achieving this.

Oops. I have to correct my last point. It is not "level of insulin" in your blood, but to maintain a steady level of glucose. The insulin allows your body to use the glucose for energy. Too high glucose levels do damage to your body (all organs) eventually and you don't want levels to yoyo. You need to eat fairly regularly and smaller portions at a time to keep the glucose (blood sugar) at a more even keel than spiking from high to low.

Yes. I am type 2 diabetic and I use insulin. I think it's important to maintain a certain level of blood sugar throughout the day. I guess just eating 1 meal a day, very late wouldn't be any good for achieving this.

I am type 2 diabetic but I don't need to use insulin. So far this year I have remained in pre-diabetes.

....as a response to some comments following it.

He would then usually have cereal later before bed.

Just to clarify; when I said how the women are slim, it was a separate observation about Argentinian eating habits/schedules and nothing to do with being diabetic.
As for whether Argentinians and Spaniards have higher rates of diabetes and/or more premature deaths due to eating so late (and eating a lot of meat)- I don't know.

Just to clarify; when I said how the women are slim, it was a separate observation about Argentinian eating habits/schedules and nothing to do with being diabetic.
As for whether Argentinians and Spaniards have higher rates of diabetes and/or more premature deaths due to eating so late (and eating a lot of meat)- I don't know.
I think eating a lot of meat and less carb-rich food is probably a good way to stay slim and keep blood sugar levels steady.
I keep getting told 'eat more fruit and veg' - but that has more carbs in it than meat.
So maybe the Argentinian ladies stay slim because they eat mostly meat?

I think eating a lot of meat and less carb-rich food is probably a good way to stay slim and keep blood sugar levels steady.
I keep getting told 'eat more fruit and veg' - but that has more carbs in it than meat.
So maybe the Argentinian ladies stay slim because they eat mostly meat?

Meat is very filling. l believe that meat consumption had a greater effect on the hormones controlling hunger than the calorie equivalent in vegetables.

maximus otter

Meat is very filling. l believe that meat consumption had a greater effect on the hormones controlling hunger than the calorie equivalent in vegetables.

maximus otter
iirc protein heavy meals tend to suppress hunger for longer, but they also raise the body temperature (aka meat sweats), as some 20% of the protein's calories are expended in its digestion. Most protein is around 100 calorie per 100g (tuna in water, chicken). Lean beef is a little higher (140 calories per 100g for 5% fat mince).

Green vegetables have very few calories per unit weight in comparison. These are your green friends (although beware leeks, surprisingly calorific).

Fruit, like it or not, is mostly sugars and other carbohydrates...typically sugars are 5-6 times the calorie count per unit weight of (say) lean beef, as are vegetable oils and other fats.

Back