Medical Mysteries, Bizarre Cases

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Hmmm...that would seem to go without saying. See this pic from above:

You'd be able to play some pretty jazzy extended chords. I'm trying to imagine what you could do on guitar with 6 fingers.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
This rare condition results in flu-like symptoms resulting from orgasm ... :doh:

ORGASMS CAN CAUSE MEN TO CONTRACT MYSTERIOUS FLU-LIKE SYMPTOMS THAT SCIENTISTS CAN'T EXPLAIN
A rare condition called Post-Orgasmic Illness Syndrome causes men to develop flu-like symptoms after they ejaculate.

POIS was first reported in 2002, but there’s been barely any research conducted in the years since, and only around 50 cases reported in medical literature. ...

POIS causes symptoms like those from allergies or the flu. They can appear after partnered sex, masturbation or spontaneously during sleep. Men who have suffered from such symptoms since the first time they ejaculated have what’s known as primary POIS. If the symptoms arise later in life, then it’s secondary POIS. Some researchers believe it's likely that POIS is an auto-immune condition, but its causes are still unclear. ...

... [T]he “constellation” of symptoms varies somewhat from patient to patient, but usually includes fatigue, muscle weakness, fever, sinus congestion, burning eyes and incoherent speech. Then those symptoms can in turn cause irritability and a reduced capacity for concentration.

In order to meet the criteria for an official diagnosis, a patient needs to consistently exhibit one or more of those symptoms within a few seconds to a few hours of ejaculating; symptoms last approximately two to seven days, after which they recede on their own. ...

Previously attempted treatments have included antihistamines and antidepressants, and even “hyposensitization therapy”—repeated injections of diluted semen (the patient’s own) under the skin to build tolerance. Nothing is considered effective so far.
FULL STORY: http://www.newsweek.com/mysterious-medical-condition-men-cold-allergy-symptoms-723880

RaM

Justified & Ancient
I once in the course of a job and no not that course or job you horrible lot
had to visit a recently closed brothel, there was so much talcum powder about the
place it sent me into sneezing fits, maybe the scientists that cant explain it
should go on a field trip.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Bangladesh Tree Man to Undergo Surgery.
"Slowly I lost all my ability to work . . . " Poor bloke. ...
Here's an update on the Bangladeshi 'Tree Man' - Abul Bajandar. He's had 24 surgeries since the January 2016 story was posted, and it's not clear what his prognosis may be.

First, here are photos, in chronological order, illustrating the change from January 2016 to the present day ...

Bajandar-Then.jpg
Bajandar as of January 2016

Bajandar-Now.jpeg
Bajandar as of February 2018

'Tree Man': Unusual Bark-Like Growths Return After 24 Surgeries
A patient in Bangladesh known as "tree man" underwent extensive surgeries last year to remove wood-like warts from his hands and feet. Now, however, he says the unusual growths are starting to come back.

The man, Abul Bajandar, had 24 surgeries over the past year to remove more than 11 pounds (5 kilograms) of growths from his body ...

In January of last year, doctors were optimistic that Bajandar could soon leave the hospital and go back to his normal life. But he has spent the last 12 months in the hospital, where he has been living with his family, and his doctors now say his case appears more complicated than they initially thought, AFP reported.

"I am scared to have any more surgeries," Bajandar told the AFP. "I don't think my hands and feet will be okay again." ...

FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/61626-tree-man-unusual-growths-return.html

Hyper³

Junior Acolyte
Rock guitarist, 61, killed himself because his hearing was so sensitive he could hear his eyeballs moving in their sockets

Kelvin Edmunds, 61, suffered from Semicircular Canal Dehiscence Syndrome
Condition affects less than 1 in 1,000 people, causes hypersensitivity to noise
Mr Edmunds attacked his girlfriend when she saved him from suicide attempt
Inquest heard he hanged himself on day he was to be sentenced for the assault
By KEILIGH BAKER FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 12:03, 31 January 2018 | UPDATED: 14:57, 31 January 2018

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5334661/Man-killed-self-hear-eyeballs-move.html

A musician was driven to suicide because his hearing was so sensitive he could hear his eyeballs moving in their sockets.

An inquest heard Kelvin Edmunds, 61, from Cyncoed in Cardiff, suffered from Superior Semicircular Canal Dehiscence Syndrome (SSCDS), a rare condition which affects fewer than 1 in 1,000 people.

It causes hypersensitivity to noise and amplified every sound he heard, leading to his mental health deteriorating. The inquest heard he stuffed tissue paper into his ears to drown outside noises but could still hear his own heartbeat - and even head his eyeballs moving in his head.

Former rock guitarist Mr Edmunds tried to hang himself when he decided he could no longer live with the hearing condition but was found by his partner Phanrutai Walford, who saved his life by cutting off the noose and giving CPR.

But the inquest heard Mr Edmunds attacked Miss Walford, 46, because he was angry she had prevented his suicide bid.

He went missing on the day he was due to be sentenced for assaulting Thailand-born Miss Walford and was later found hanged.

Miss Walford told the hearing: 'He could hear his eyeballs moving in their sockets - he would go to bed just to get some silence. He had two operations to sort it out but they didn't work.'

Miss Walford told how she followed Mr Edmunds to the garden shed at their home in September last year because she knew something was wrong. She said: 'I saw him put a noose around his neck and when I tried to stop him he strangled me until I passed out. 'When I came around he was hanging but with the help of a neighbour we got him down and gave him CPR.'

He was admitted as a voluntary patient to a psychiatric unit in Whitchurch, Cardiff, where he was staying on the night before his court case.

The inquest heard he was convinced he would go to prison for attacking his partner even though she had forgiven him.

Mr Edmunds told nurses he was going to walk to home and then go to the court hearing with Miss Walford on October 5. But he failed to arrive and was found dead in woods at Cwmbach, in the South Wales valleys, where he used to play as a child.

The inquest heard Mr Edmunds worked as an engineer in Libya when his Welsh rock band Rhode Island Red failed to make the big time. Family and friends regarded him as a hero for giving up his plane seat to a young Filipino girl during the 2014 evacuation of Libya.

But the inquest heard Mr Edmunds became mentally fragile after suffering from SSCDS for 15 years and it was impacting on his well-being. Glamorgan Coroner Andrew Barkley said: 'He had some difficulty with low mood caused by his ears and sensitivity to increased noise. 'He was charged with an offence in relation to a his partner in terrible and tragic circumstances.

'We also know he had researched suicide and had written a will just weeks before.'

The coroner recorded a verdict of suicide.

For confidential support call the Samaritans on 116123 or visit a local Samaritans branch, see www.samaritans.org for details.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
This may have been the largest brain tumor in the world by the time surgery was performed ...

Indian Man's Brain Tumor Might Be the World's Largest
Doctors in India recently operated on what they say could be the largest brain tumor in the world, according to news reports.

The patient, 31-year-old Santlal Pal, had been living with the large mass on his head for three years before his surgery to remove the tumor, the BBC reported today (Feb. 22). Prior to the surgery, three hospitals had told Pal that the tumor was inoperable, his wife Manju told the BBC.

The tumor weighed nearly 4 lbs. (1.8 kilograms) — "much bigger than [Pal's] own head," Dr. Trimurti Nadkarni, a neurosurgeon at Nair Hospital in Mumbai, India, who performed the 6-hour operation, told The Hindu.

"We have checked all the available medical texts," Nadkarni said. "We have not found any tumor as big as this." He told The Hindu that he removed a 3-lb. (1.4 kg) brain tumor from another patient in 2002. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/61841-largest-brain-tumor-removed.html

Pal-Tumor.jpg

AgProv

Master of Uncertainty and Doubt
Imagine an illness that only afflicts children of asylum seekers...in Sweden. And it exists - or does it?

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-41748485

The same story is also available as a podcast, if you'd rather listen:
https://player.fm/series/bbc-news-front-page/11668-resignation-syndrome-swedens-mystery-illness
The condition called "svarmod" taken to extremes? Let's say you've arrived in Sweden as a refugee following traumatic experiences in your own country - which might well be a lot further South with less extreme changes in the duration of night and day across a given year. We know there's a condition where people can be starved of natural daylight during the winter months and who can develop lethargy, depression, greater sensitivity to otherwise minor illnesses, et c.this is even seen in Britain. The (in)famous association of native Swedes and suicide has to do with this. What if this is the "svarmod" taken to extremes in people already traumatised by life experience, arriving in a country where the customs and language are alien to them, who do not have native resistance to short cold days and longer colder nights?

You'd also expect to see this in refugees taken in by Finland and Norway and the incidence to be higher the further north you go. Maybe because Sweden has what amounts to an open-door policy for immigrants and refugees, the condition is more prevalent here? And if the daylight deficiency can be "cured" or at least eased by exposure to lighting simulating natural daylight - has this been tried?

Vardoger

Like To Roam The Land
Too effin unbelievable? Yes, but weird enough.
You've got to be yolking! Teenage boy, 14, lays an EGG in front of baffled doctors - and he says he's squeezed out nearly two dozen over the last few years
  • Teenage boy claims to have laid 20 eggs from his rectum in the past two years
  • Akmal, 14, from Gowa in Indonesia says he has been laying eggs since 2016
  • When cracked open the eggs appear to be either all yoke or all white
By PETER DEVLIN FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA

PUBLISHED: 03:16 GMT, 22 February 2018 | UPDATED: 13:13 GMT, 22 February 2018

If you're eating breakfast now is your last chance to turn away.

A teenage boy has claimed to have laid 20 eggs in the past two years, completely baffling doctors.

Akmal, 14, from Gowa in Indonesia says he has been regularly laying eggs since 2016.

Scroll down for video

+4
A teenage boy has claimed to have laid 20 eggs over the past two years, completely baffling doctors (X-ray pictured)

When cracked open Akmal's father claims the eggs laid by his son appear to be either all yolk or all white.

The 14-year-old has been repeatedly hospitalised for his condition, and recently laid two eggs in front of doctors.

His father Rusli said: 'In two years he laid 18 eggs and two today, so in total there have been 20. I cracked the first egg and its content was all yellow, no white.'

But doctors are baffled by his condition, saying its 'impossible' for eggs to form inside the human body, the Daily Star reported.

A spokesperson from the hospital said: 'Our suspicion is that the eggs were deliberately shoved into Akmal's rectum. But we did not see it directly.'

Akmal's father denied this.

More at http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5420483/Indonesian-boy-claims-laid-20-eggs.html

Too effin unbelievable? Yes, but weird enough.
You've got to be yolking! Teenage boy, 14, lays an EGG in front of baffled doctors - and he says he's squeezed out nearly two dozen over the last few years
  • Teenage boy claims to have laid 20 eggs from his rectum in the past two years
  • Akmal, 14, from Gowa in Indonesia says he has been laying eggs since 2016
  • When cracked open the eggs appear to be either all yoke or all white
By PETER DEVLIN FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA

PUBLISHED: 03:16 GMT, 22 February 2018 | UPDATED: 13:13 GMT, 22 February 2018

If you're eating breakfast now is your last chance to turn away.

A teenage boy has claimed to have laid 20 eggs in the past two years, completely baffling doctors.

Akmal, 14, from Gowa in Indonesia says he has been regularly laying eggs since 2016.

Scroll down for video

+4
A teenage boy has claimed to have laid 20 eggs over the past two years, completely baffling doctors (X-ray pictured)

When cracked open Akmal's father claims the eggs laid by his son appear to be either all yolk or all white.

The 14-year-old has been repeatedly hospitalised for his condition, and recently laid two eggs in front of doctors.

His father Rusli said: 'In two years he laid 18 eggs and two today, so in total there have been 20. I cracked the first egg and its content was all yellow, no white.'

But doctors are baffled by his condition, saying its 'impossible' for eggs to form inside the human body, the Daily Star reported.

A spokesperson from the hospital said: 'Our suspicion is that the eggs were deliberately shoved into Akmal's rectum. But we did not see it directly.'

Akmal's father denied this.

More at http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5420483/Indonesian-boy-claims-laid-20-eggs.html
I'm shell shocked.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Here's another case of an anomalous mass turning out to be a sizable tumor ...

A Man's 'Beer Belly' Was Actually a Massive Tumor
A New Jersey man's "beer belly" turned out to be a 30-lb. (13.6 kilograms) tumor.

The man, Kevin Daly, realized something was wrong when he lost more than 30 lbs. in 2015, but his belly fat didn't budge ...

A CT scan revealed that the man's belly bulge was in fact a rare type of tumor called a liposarcoma ...

Liposarcomas are tumors that grow in fat tissue, according to the Genetic and Rare Disease Information Center (GARD). Because these tumors can spread to surrounding tissues or organs in the body, they are considered malignant.

Liposarcomas most often develop in fat tissue found in the thigh, behind the knee or in the abdomen, GARD says. (Indeed, Daly's tumor arose from fat tissue in his abdomen.) ....
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/62156-beer-belly-liposarcoma.html

And in case you wondered, here's what a 30-lb. tumor looks like ...

30lb-NJ-Tumor-1803.jpeg

Dr_Baltar

Left Foot of God
Also, super-gonorrhoea is probably one of those heroes from the DC movie universe.
I like to think of it as a kaiju from Toho studios, as in Godzilla vs Super Gonorrhoea. Probably followed up by Godzilla vs Mecha Gonorrhoea or somesuch.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
The clustering of these atypically numerous ocular melanoma cases is the main weirdness here. Since both clusters have emerged in the southern USA, it's tempting to theorize that sun exposure may be a common element.

Mysterious Eye Cancer Cases Pop Up in 2 States, and Doctors Can't Explain It
Dozens of people in Alabama and North Carolina have developed a rare eye cancer — and doctors don't know what's behind the apparent spike in cases in these areas, according to news reports.

So far, 18 people with this eye cancer, known as ocular melanoma, have been identified in Huntersville, North Carolina; and another group of more than 30 people in Auburn, Alabama, also say they've been diagnosed with the condition, according to CBS News. The condition typically affects just six out of every 1 million people per year, CBS reported.

What's more, three of the Alabama cases are friends who attended Auburn University at the same time.

"Most people don't know anyone with this disease," Dr. Marlana Orloff, an oncologist treating some of the patients at Thomas Jefferson University's Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center (SKCC) in Philadelphia, told CBS News. "We said, 'OK, these girls were in this location, they were all definitively diagnosed with this very rare cancer — what's going on?'" ...

Right now, doctors don't know the answer to the question, but they say something in the environment could be a factor, CBS reported.

Ocular melanoma is a cancer that develops in cells in the eye that produce the pigment melanin, according to the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO). The cancer usually begins in the middle layer of the eye called the uvea. The exact cause of ocular melanoma is unknown, but according to AAO, risk factors for the condition include: exposure to sunlight or tanning beds over long periods; light eye color; older age; and certain inherited skin conditions or having a mole in the eye. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/62444-mysterious-eye-cancer-cases.html

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
risk factors for the condition include: exposure to sunlight or tanning beds over long periods; light eye color; older age; and certain inherited skin conditions or having a mole in the eye. ...
Could a combination of tanning practices and light eye colour be to blame? A batch of faulty tanning beds might account for a cluster.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Could a combination of tanning practices and light eye colour be to blame? A batch of faulty tanning beds might account for a cluster.
Something along that line would seem to fit the Auburn (Alabama) cluster, which includes a number of folks who attended Auburn University during the same period.

It may be more likely that any equipment deficiencies or faults had to do with tanning goggles rather than the tanning beds themselves.

Unfortunately, the published material to date doesn't specify how prevalent either tanning salon usage or light (blue; green) eye color was among the patients.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Something along that line would seem to fit the Auburn (Alabama) cluster, which includes a number of folks who attended Auburn University during the same period.

It may be more likely that any equipment deficiencies or faults had to do with tanning goggles rather than the tanning beds themselves.

Unfortunately, the published material to date doesn't specify how prevalent either tanning salon usage or light (blue; green) eye color was among the patients.
Hmmm, yup, the tanning goggles being faulty rather than the machines? Seems like another good lead. Not sure the eye colour would be of much importance in that case, though of course we wouldn't know!