Medical Mysteries, Bizarre Cases

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Joined
Jul 19, 2004
Messages
13,598
Likes
15,864
Points
309
Location
Out of Bounds
Here's how to free a child's tongue that's trapped inside a bottle's opening. Yes - it happens ...
A Child Got His Tongue Stuck in a Bottle. Doctors Freed It with This Ingenious Method

When a boy's tongue became stuck in the neck of a juice bottle, a doctor had a clever idea on how to get it unstuck that was inspired by his memory of opening a wine bottle without a corkscrew.

The simple solution — an injection of air into the bottle — worked to free the child's tongue without the need to cut the bottle or give the boy general anesthesia, according to a new report of the case published today (Oct. 31) in the European Journal of Anaesthesiology.

The use of this "positive-pressure" method "proved to be a simple, effective and safe technique for releasing a tongue entrapped in a bottle," study lead author Dr. Christoph Eich, of the Department of Anaesthesia at Auf der Bult Children's Hospital in Hannover, Germany, said in a statement. "We would suggest trying this method before more invasive procedures under general anesthesia are considered." ...

The 7-year-old boy had been licking the inside of the juice bottle to try to get the last drops of juice, the authors said. But suddenly, the boy's tongue became stuck. His mother tried to remove it by pulling and twisting the bottle, but to no avail. The boy was taken to the emergency room, where a pediatric surgeon also tried to pull the bottle loose, but the boy's tongue wouldn't budge.

So the hospital's anesthesia department was consulted. Doctors gave the boy a light sedative and inserted a thin tube, called a cannula, between the tongue and the bottleneck in an attempt to release the presumed vacuum in the bottle. But this had no effect.

That's when Eich had the idea to inject air into the bottle. Doctors connected the cannula to some IV tubing and a 20-milliliter (0.7 ounce) empty syringe. After a few pumps of air, the boy's tongue squeezed out of the bottle neck. ...
FULL STORY (WITH PHOTOS):
https://www.livescience.com/tongue-stuck-bottle.html
 

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Joined
Jul 19, 2004
Messages
13,598
Likes
15,864
Points
309
Location
Out of Bounds
Here's another tapeworm in the brain story ... In this case the patient displayed symptoms for years before they figured out what was happening to him.
5-Inch-Long Tapeworm Lived in Man's Brain for More Than a Decade

A man in China experienced seizures and other mysterious symptoms for years before doctors finally found the cause: He had a rare parasite living in his brain, which had likely been there for more than a decade, according to news reports.

The man, who lives in Guangzhou, China, said that he began to feel numbness on the left side of his body starting in 2007 ... In the following years, he developed more worrying symptoms, including blackouts and seizures, although doctors failed to find the true cause of his illness.

Then, in 2018, doctors discovered a nearly 5-inch-long (12 centimeters) tapeworm in his brain. He was diagnosed with sparganosis, an infection caused by a type of tapeworm larvae known as Spirometra.

Humans are rarely infected with Spirometra ... — the parasite typically lives in the intestines of dogs and cats, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Other hosts in the parasite's life cycle include fish, reptiles, amphibians and freshwater crustaceans. ...

But humans can become infected if they drink water contaminated with the parasite, or if they eat undercooked meat from animals, such as frogs or snakes, that are hosts to the parasite. The parasite can live for up to 20 years in humans, the CDC says.

Although Spirometra tapeworms occur worldwide, most human cases have been reported in Southeast Asian countries ... . Humans are accidental hosts and can't transmit the disease.

The Spirometra larvae can migrate anywhere in the body, including the eyes, urinary tract, lungs, abdomen and, as in this case, the central nervous system. Brain infections with the larvae can cause a variety of symptoms, including weakness, headache, seizures and numbness or tingling, the CDC says.

Doctors removed the tapeworm from the man's brain during a 2-hour surgery. "The surgery was risky," Dr. Gu Youming, the man's surgeon, told AsiaWire, according to Fox News. "The live tapeworm was moving in his brain, and we had to remove all of it, otherwise the leftover part could grow again." ...
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/spirometra-tapeworm-brain.html
 

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Joined
Jul 19, 2004
Messages
13,598
Likes
15,864
Points
309
Location
Out of Bounds
... What do they live on in the brain? Lymph? :dunno:
This passage (which I didn't include above) offers one theory based on a previous case in the UK ...

In 2014, a similar case of a brain infection with Spirometra was reported in a man of Chinese descent living in England, according to The Guardian.
At that time, doctors involved in the case said that this type of tapeworm can survive in the brain by scavenging for fatty acids, which it absorbs through its body. ...
Here's a link to the November 2014 Guardian article on that earlier case:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/nov/21/tapeworm-parasite-mans-brain-four-years-china
 

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Joined
Apr 24, 2011
Messages
8,025
Likes
9,683
Points
284
I see, from a story attached to the story above, that Gillette has made a new Ad about a transgenders first shave with his dad, suppose they are trying to make up that 8 biliion they lost.
 

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Joined
Aug 24, 2001
Messages
26,411
Likes
23,466
Points
309
Location
HM The Tower of London
I see, from a story attached to the story above, that Gillette has made a new Ad about a transgenders first shave with his dad, suppose they are trying to make up that 8 biliion they lost.
Really? All I got was the bloke with tapeworms in his brain after eating a dodgy pork casserole.

(After being taught about the life cycles of parasites at school I've always been very careful indeed around meat, so I found the item interesting)
 

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Joined
Apr 24, 2011
Messages
8,025
Likes
9,683
Points
284
Ewwwww, i remember my husband was really ill, vomiting and really watery poo it was disgusting, i callled the doc and apparently he had food poisoning from a pork pie from a shop, in the poo bucket was these black things, bout inch maybe more long, they were some sort of a worm coming from him, it blocked the toilet can you imagine having to stick your, covered hand, down that, i was nearly puking.
 

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Joined
Jul 13, 2011
Messages
4,323
Likes
5,136
Points
209
Location
Hobbs End
Ewwwww, i remember my husband was really ill, vomiting and really watery poo it was disgusting, i callled the doc and apparently he had food poisoning from a pork pie from a shop, in the poo bucket was these black things, bout inch maybe more long, they were some sort of a worm coming from him, it blocked the toilet can you imagine having to stick your, covered hand, down that, i was nearly puking.
Thanks for sharing.
 

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Joined
Aug 24, 2001
Messages
26,411
Likes
23,466
Points
309
Location
HM The Tower of London
Ewwwww, i remember my husband was really ill, vomiting and really watery poo it was disgusting, i callled the doc and apparently he had food poisoning from a pork pie from a shop, in the poo bucket was these black things, bout inch maybe more long, they were some sort of a worm coming from him, it blocked the toilet can you imagine having to stick your, covered hand, down that, i was nearly puking.
I really need to hear more! Were they worms then? They don't usually give you food poisoning straight off from pork. Something much worse was going on there!
 

INT21

Antediluvian
Joined
Jul 18, 2016
Messages
6,702
Likes
5,278
Points
279
Ewwwww, i remember my husband was really ill, vomiting and really watery poo it was disgusting, i callled the doc and apparently he had food poisoning from a pork pie from a shop, in the poo bucket was these black things, bout inch maybe more long, they were some sort of a worm coming from him, it blocked the toilet can you imagine having to stick your, covered hand, down that, i was nearly puking.
You should have potted some of them in acrylic. would have made great Christmas presents.
 

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Joined
Apr 24, 2011
Messages
8,025
Likes
9,683
Points
284
I really need to hear more! Were they worms then? They don't usually give you food poisoning straight off from pork. Something much worse was going on there!
All i remember is they were black and thickish and just floating, by thickish i mean bout quarter of an inchish, my hubby was not one of those peeps who moaned when he was ill, this really knocked him back all that from a pork pie, it was from a shop when we lived in Skeggy, we should have told them, god knows how many more was ill.


Oooo just got my FT 387
 

Nemo

Abominable Snowman
Joined
May 10, 2006
Messages
870
Likes
730
Points
109
Warning the video may be upsetting!!!




Life with rare genetic skin disorder lamellar ichthyosis


Nisha Lobo suffers from a rare genetic skin disorder. When she was a week old her parents abandoned her at an orphanage in Bengaluru in the southern Indian state of Karnataka.
No-one wanted to adopt a baby with such special needs, but a doctor working there decided to welcome Nisha into her family.
To hear Nisha’s full story, listen to the BBC World Service podcast, Kalki presents My Indian life.
 
Top