• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Medieval Christian Artifacts Unearthed In Bulgaria

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Can't find a related, existing, thread for this...

MEDIEVAL CHRISTIAN ARTIFACTS UNEARTHED IN BULGARIA

10th Century with Jesus Christ image, peacock ring seal found in Tudia fortress in Bulgaria’s sliven

Source: archeology-world.com
Date: 3 January, 2020

Archaeological excavations of the Late Roman, Early Byzantine and medieval Bulgarian fortress of Tuida in the city of Sliven. Found one of the most notable objects found during 2019 is the cross with an Image of Jesus Christ of the tenth century, during Bulgaria’s First Empire (632/680 – 1018), and a medieval ring seal with a peacock image.

Tuida, now increasingly gaining popularity as a cultural tourism venue, was originally an Ancient Thracian settlement that grew into a Late Roman, Early Byzantine, and medieval Bulgarian fortress...

[...]

The small 10th century cross with a depiction of Jesus Christ discovered in the latest digs in the Tuida Fortress in Sliven is made of bronze.

https://www.archaeology-world.com/medieval-christian-artifacts-unearthed-in-bulgaria/

Image of Jesus Christ of the tenth century, during Bulgaria’s First Empire (632/680 – 1018), and a medieval ring seal with a peacock image.
The Bulgarian Empire... It's a bit of an historical fib/joke/ploy really. You see, an Empire is defined as a collection of states with different ethnicities all brought together under the rule of a single power. The alleged Bulgarian empire doesn't really fit this description, and is really only called an empire because the Byzantines acknowledged them as such in order to protect their northern border. A few well chosen words turned the Bulgarians into a buffer state.

Is it Bulgaria where they found the pyramids which had been hidden under grass mounds for centuries? I may be wrong, actually yes, I think it was Romaina. I mention it as this new find is interesting, there's a lot of hidden history in those parts that's not in the history books.

Always wanted to do a tour of the EE countries , see all the Vlad the Impaler and Countess Bathory sites. So much super interesting history in those parts.

I have a 2nd cousin who's moved out there with his Checzk GF, may have to go for a visit :)

Is it Bulgaria where they found the pyramids which had been hidden under grass mounds for centuries? I may be wrong, actually yes, I think it was Romaina.
While Bulgaria has a rock formation known as the Melnick Pyramids, they aren't man-made in any way. You are probably thinking of the Bosnian claims Bosnian Pyramids? Romania also has its own pyramids of Sona. This suggests that the Balkans may have had a mound builder culture active during the bronze age.
I mention it as this new find is interesting, there's a lot of hidden history in those parts that's not in the history books. Always wanted to do a tour of the EE countries , see all the Vlad the Impaler and Countess Bathory sites. So much super interesting history in those parts. I have a 2nd cousin who's moved out there with his Checzk GF, may have to go for a visit :)
Vlad operated in Romania and was a military genius, defeating Ottoman armies in the hundreds of thousands with a party of only 100 men, due to inside knowledge of political divisions within the Empire. As for Bathory, she operated in Solvakia at Cachtice Castle where she was eventually walled up, but was eventually buried at her family crypt. She was probably the most prolific female serial killer, unless you consider various nuns and women who operated foundling homes during the 19th Century as culpable for the deliberately high mortality rates.

Back