• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

"Meet Me At McDonalds" Hairstyle: Why—And Why?

Ermintruder

The greatest risk is to risk nothing at all...
The origin for the odd name of this hairstyle puzzles me- can anyone offer an explanation?
istock-535455049.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-great-yarmouth-charter-academy-a8223101.html

I also find it strange that:
  • that it exists at all
  • that anyone would think it somehow attractive
  • that it would be banned at an increasing number of schools
  • that it would only be banned for wear by boys
I find that quite a portfolio of strangeness relating to a haircut....

I don't particularly like it, but it doesn't look that odd for a teenage haircut to me; in some form or another the long on top/short at the sides look has been in and out for years - hasn't someone just given it a new name and decided to have an odd moral panic about it.

Has anyone else been wondering if maybe some clever marketeers at McDonalds have simply attached their moniker to a popular and current street fashion - maybe via the mechanism of social media - in order to get lots of free advertising amongst a core audience? And I am being serious.

if maybe some clever marketeers at McDonalds have simply attached their moniker to a popular and current street fashion
Now that's an interesting possibility....one which requires further investigation.

The origin for the odd name of this hairstyle puzzles me- can anyone offer an explanation?
istock-535455049.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-great-yarmouth-charter-academy-a8223101.html

I also find it strange that:
  • that it exists at all
  • that anyone would think it somehow attractive
  • that it would be banned at an increasing number of schools
  • that it would only be banned for wear by boys
I find that quite a portfolio of strangeness relating to a haircut....
I read somewhere online that a lad sporting this haircut posted a pic of himself on Twitter or Facebook (can't remember which one sorry) to his mate with the message "Meet you at Mcdonalds", he/they were wearing adidas and nike stuff, looked a bit of a chavish so it became an internet gif for a while .. I've no idea if this is true .. this might have been the original pic?

http://metro.co.uk/2018/02/23/called-meet-mcdonalds-haircut-7336444/

Of course Mick Hucknall was sporting this look back in the 80's ..

amick1.png

.. as were The Thompson Twins ..

athompsontwins.jpg

Last edited:
Why do schools so often feel justified in enforcing these arbitrary and controlling rules about students' dress and appearance?

It seems this is part of a campaign to make the school more respectable. One article mentioned:

The former Great Yarmouth High School, which was the worst-performing school in Norfolk, was taken over by Inspiration Trust and renamed Charter Academy last year.

It hit the headlines in September when Mr Smith introduced strict new rules in a bid to turn its fortunes around.

SOURCE: https://www.nottinghampost.com/news...&utm_campaign=google_news&utm_content=sitemap

I suspect this is already one of those scenarios in which spotlighting something nobody previously cared about transforms the matter into a cause célèbre.

The soon-to-be-beleaguered principal Smith offered to provide parents with a PowerPoint file illustrating the now-unacceptable hairstyles.

I have yet to locate an online posting of this PowerPoint file.

Like everyone else, I'm baffled by the label 'Meet Me at McDonalds'.

The style is easily and obviously seen as an Eighties throwback, but it may also entail connections to inspirations both older and newer such as:

SBeckett.jpg

Meet Me, Godot

... and ...

NyukNukeNK.jpg

Meet Me at the Brink

Sadly my attempts to popularise a "I can't meet you at McDonald's but how about in half an hour at that chinese place" haircut has been unsuccesful. It has sideburns.

Why do schools so often feel justified in enforcing these arbitrary and controlling rules about students' dress and appearance?

This has been raised before, in the long Education thread probably. As EnolaGaia says, "It seems this is part of a campaign to make the school more respectable."

When this tactic is applied early in the cycle of competing schools, one may establish itself as the first choice of parents who support firm discipline. There will be a raft of other rules which establish or reinforce the school as a brand or a tribe asserting its values over others prevailing in the area.

When it is applied to failing schools, usually as part of a change of régime or academization, there will inevitably be confrontation with the do-as-you-likees, who will take to the tabloids to display their scowly faces. It can seem ridiculous, though parents will usually have been informed and reminded of the uniform code before things come to a head.

Some of the more militant headteachers are adopting a zero-tolerance approach to these visible transgressions and making for themselves a reputation which is not reflected in other performance measures. :buck:

By incredible coincidence, I self-identify as a Russian helicopter gunship!

You and your binary lofty ideals. I am a three-legged stool and I don't even have a mouse carved on my seat.

Criticise this and I will 'feel wrong' and have you reported for hate crime. Stools have as much place in military history as helicopter gunships. This should be recognised and promoted. I will tolerate nothing less than a government funded wartime stool museum honouring noble stools who played a vital part in the war effort. (Dating back to Ancient Egypt and perhaps a log from a bit further back).

I will tolerate nothing less than a government funded wartime stool museum honouring noble stools who played a vital part in the war effort..

I had to provide a stool sample to hospital once; but I didn't carve a mouse in it.

INT21

Bwahahah!
I noticed a news story about this a few days ago and thought of a couple of alternative names. One was "this wasn't even cool in the 80's" and the other was "if it worked for Mick Hucknall it'll work for me".

Get out of my brain! :punch:

I fear the 1980' fashion revival is coming and these styles are its hairbingers.

The only thing that would work for Mick Hucknall is a brown paper bag, with eye holes.

The 1980s are back! Woohoo!
Maybe the music will improve...

Back