• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

"Meeting Nicola"

I'm just getting ready for work, I will answer in more detail this evening, regarding the drawing, The only thing it has in common with his daughter that I see is that they both have black hair (Nicolas is more straighter), I see 2 different people, both then again you can only see the one photo of his daughter to compare. I believe in all honesty that the drawing represents a true image of what Nicola looked like, this is why I have always thought it might be interesting to put it on a Streatham community message board and see if anyone remembers a Nicola from the early 80's that lived there, I know it's a long shot, and also don't know if I would come across as too creepy in doing this (even though it is for pure fortean reasons ) :/ Thanks for the post.

Sorry just catching up with this thread. Personally I don't see a resemblance between the drawing of Nicola and the photograph of Frank's daughter. Seems like one of those "they're both female with dark hair therefore they look alike" type of resemblances!

Although (and anyone on here familiar with me will expect me to say this ;)) the idea that it was a time slip and he 'met' his own daughter is intriguing, but I'm not sure that is an explanation. There doesn't seem to have been any sense that she (or the surroundings) were 'in the future'.

The concept as someone mentioned of Nicola forgetting the had the dog when she went off with the motorbike chap is very plausible; she was walking her relative's (Grandmother I think?) dog and therefore probably wasn't all that "used" to having a dog with her, so in the heat of the moment it wouldn't be surprising if that went completely out of her mind. (Although where the dog went to is unanswered, but possibly it did just make its own way home).

I think this is a very interesting and entertaining thread and the mystery likely will not be solved but that doesn't make it any less true and I don't have any 'negative vibes' about @Damien or his posts, for what it's worth.

I dont know if anyone has read Stephen Leathers 'Jack Nightingale'series, but 'Nicola' reminds me of the female daemon with the dog (her name escapes me since its been a while), a very good series btw, very fortean.
Andwas Frank sure it was a dog he saw in the water now a big hairy biker dude lol

Personally, that's what I would also have contemplated and I have considerable experience in taking research queries to other online sources.

You add, "also don't know if I would come across as too creepy in doing this".

There's the dilemma in this case and I can't see a solution. It's not a situation where you are trying to contact a lost acquaintance.

Even if someone therein did believe they knew who the girl might be, would they reveal this under our circumstances - it could come across as someone who is 'stalking' her...!
That is what I was afraid of, I have no problem putting it on this forum, weird is the word, but to the general public it might come across as a little to stalkerish, I can always post Franks account first, be hoot to see what storm that would kick off. ;)

Sorry just catching up with this thread. Personally I don't see a resemblance between the drawing of Nicola and the photograph of Frank's daughter. Seems like one of those "they're both female with dark hair therefore they look alike" type of resemblances!

Although (and anyone on here familiar with me will expect me to say this ;)) the idea that it was a time slip and he 'met' his own daughter is intriguing, but I'm not sure that is an explanation. There doesn't seem to have been any sense that she (or the surroundings) were 'in the future'.

The concept as someone mentioned of Nicola forgetting the had the dog when she went off with the motorbike chap is very plausible; she was walking her relative's (Grandmother I think?) dog and therefore probably wasn't all that "used" to having a dog with her, so in the heat of the moment it wouldn't be surprising if that went completely out of her mind. (Although where the dog went to is unanswered, but possibly it did just make its own way home).

I think this is a very interesting and entertaining thread and the mystery likely will not be solved but that doesn't make it any less true and I don't have any 'negative vibes' about @Damien or his posts, for what it's worth.
Yeah I wouldn't say she look like his daughter, If there is a Nicola out there it would be interesting to hear her side of the story, just to get some sort of closure. This experience has driven Frank mad, it really did effect him, and like he says not a day goes by without him thinking about it.

I dont know if anyone has read Stephen Leathers 'Jack Nightingale'series, but 'Nicola' reminds me of the female daemon with the dog (her name escapes me since its been a while), a very good series btw, very fortean.
Andwas Frank sure it was a dog he saw in the water now a big hairy biker dude lol
He saw what looked like a large black dog in the river, couldn't quite make out the breed, but he never saw it again, the guy on the bike was very tall and stood on what sounds like a Harley fatboy as Frank describes it, or a bike close to that sort. I never really made a connection with the dog and the biker.

Whatever people believe Damien, the fact that the thread has gone to over 200 posts shows the amount of interest in it.
Never really thought about it, but yeah, I happy to hear other people ideas on this, I will be contacting Frank later in the week, I will see what he thinks about joining in on here, better to hear it from the horses mouth ;)

Sorry just catching up with this thread. Personally I don't see a resemblance between the drawing of Nicola and the photograph of Frank's daughter. Seems like one of those "they're both female with dark hair therefore they look alike" type of resemblances! ...

Same here ... I'd never consider these two images to be similar enough to consider one and the same. If the drawing were shown me as a witness sketch of the daughter I'd say the witness wasn't reliable or accurate.

Whats a glamour?
Screenshot_20210125-205511.jpg

Hoping to get Frank himself to come on here too.
That would be something that im sure many here would enjoy lol, im not one for interrogation/cross examining people, i have theories like the ones i have posted, but im happy to let others with more experience on advanced interrogation techniques handle the questioning lol
Warn him to gird his loins before he enters the lions den haha

That is what I was afraid of, I have no problem putting it on this forum, weird is the word, but to the general public it might come across as a little to stalkerish, I can always post Franks account first, be hoot to see what storm that would kick off. ;)
We have another thread running just now... 'A Strange Photo...'.:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/a-strange-photo-little-girl-with-monkey-figure.67533/

I have previously brought that thread's existence to attention of the prominent local newspaper and now also contacted a related parish church, amongst others.

Thought has now surfaced.... let's consider reaction at the other end, when they are directed to a most peculiar and indeed arguably 'creepy' photograph...

'We've been targeted by one those weird Fortean people, should we notify the police...'.

Not having a go BM

Is that still a thing? I'm guessing she is American? Culturally America seems to be one of the few places this takes place. Personally, I feel Sybil was a load of old fabricated crap but its legacy was enormous.

When do you hear of MPD these days which has now been classed as a dissociative disorder as the US seriously had to backtrack when they found out Sybil was faked.

I get Dissociative disorder I don't get people with several personalities inhabiting the same body. Never seen it, never met anyone apart from a Christian fundamentalist, (in the US), who has.
Not American, Canadian.

I don't think that "personalities" is a precise word for this disorder, imo, and I do think that this is why MPD was replaced with the DID terminology. Each personality is not a full person. Some of the thoughts regarding how DID is established in someone is that it happens when a person is very young and has very little experience with building up coping mechanisms to deal with trauma. My friend, for example, has spina bifida and she has had chronic kidney infections and bowel blockages. She remembers that as a very young child (3ish maybe), she was in immense pain and at the time, medical professionals did not believe that children experienced pain like adults and so did not believe the level of pain that she was experiencing She told me that she almost died before anyone believed that there was something seriously wrong. She thinks that she experienced her first "split" ie dissociative state, at that time.

She has told me that, before she was diagnosed, she did miss time and, as a teenager particularly, had trouble keeping friends as she would be accused for doing or saying things of which she had no recollection. Each of her alters ( think she mentioned 5, including herself, to me) had different times that they would appear to "take care of" a situation. Again, these are not full personalities, but a part of the dissociative coping mechanism. Some of the alters are pretty useless as one of hers (she told me) was a young child who had not learned to talk. I did see her demeanor change twice as mentioned in my earlier post, though the most noticable was when she was in fear of her partner (she was very sick with fever and infection).

She worked with a psychiatrist (though I don't know how she found her, nor how it came about as to being diagnosed) who was one of very few who specialized in DID. Yes, not all psychiatrists believe in DID.

I do believe that people can enter a dissociative state. Shock does this, for example. People who have experienced sexual abuse often talk about dissociating and "going away" when the abuse occurs.

Not American, Canadian.

I don't think that "personalities" is a precise word for this disorder, imo, and I do think that this is why MPD was replaced with the DID terminology. Each personality is not a full person. Some of the thoughts regarding how DID is established in someone is that it happens when a person is very young and has very little experience with building up coping mechanisms to deal with trauma. My friend, for example, has spina bifida and she has had chronic kidney infections and bowel blockages. She remembers that as a very young child (3ish maybe), she was in immense pain and at the time, medical professionals did not believe that children experienced pain like adults and so did not believe the level of pain that she was experiencing She told me that she almost died before anyone believed that there was something seriously wrong. She thinks that she experienced her first "split" ie dissociative state, at that time.

She has told me that, before she was diagnosed, she did miss time and, as a teenager particularly, had trouble keeping friends as she would be accused for doing or saying things of which she had no recollection. Each of her alters ( think she mentioned 5, including herself, to me) had different times that they would appear to "take care of" a situation. Again, these are not full personalities, but a part of the dissociative coping mechanism. Some of the alters are pretty useless as one of hers (she told me) was a young child who had not learned to talk. I did see her demeanor change twice as mentioned in my earlier post, though the most noticable was when she was in fear of her partner (she was very sick with fever and infection).

She worked with a psychiatrist (though I don't know how she found her, nor how it came about as to being diagnosed) who was one of very few who specialized in DID. Yes, not all psychiatrists believe in DID.

I do believe that people can enter a dissociative state. Shock does this, for example. People who have experienced sexual abuse often talk about dissociating and "going away" when the abuse occurs.
Reminds me of M.Night Shaymalans 'split'

Totally agree and have witnessed the same, it can be really distressing to see. I'm just not sure about the "OK Rodney, thank you for your time. Now can I speak to Alice? Alice are in there? Can I talk to Alice please?" :D

Last edited:
Totally agree and have witnessed the same, it can be really distressing to see. I'm just not sure about the "OK Rodney, thank you for your time. Now can I speak to Alice? Alice are in there? Can I talk to Alice please?" :D
I can’t say that that is what my friend experienced. I know that she referred to the dissociated parts of herself as alters and I don’t remember if she used the term ”reintegrating” or I just use it to kind of explain what little I know of it. When I first met her, she was in the midst of her therapy or treatment ( not sure what it would be called) and she explained that one of the more stable alters was helping the other alters reconnect. That alter is not her and never did she ever say it was.

These next comments are not me analyzing my friend, but me just trying to possibly understand DID. My thoughts on what reintegration of dissociated identities (no professional knowledge, just armchair thoughts) possibly is, is that the person does have, or recognizes for purpose of therapy, an alter that is stable enough to maintain distance from any troubling memories or experiences (still a dissociation) but can recall these memories as they come up in therapy and reflect on them and how they have affected the person. This distance allows the person to come to intentionally and purposefully understanding the trauma in his/her life and how s/he’s been affected by it. Then through the therapy, the person becomes “whole” and learns how to constructively move on in her/his life.

And if anyone is wondering how the h*** does this relate to the OP, it was just me going into different thoughts of different aspects of the story. None of my ideas even connect to explain any of it rationally. I enjoy learning how our brains work and how our perceptions can be so unreliable.

And if anyone is wondering how the h*** does this relate to the OP, it was just me going into different thoughts of different aspects of the story. None of my ideas even connect to explain any of it rationally. I enjoy learning how our brains work and how our perceptions can be so unreliable.
Well Frank had been through a lot of trauma in his young life so I don't think a bit of dissociation or a mild petit mal episode can be ruled out so easily IMHO.

Pretty rubbish glamour, if it can be broken by a bloke asking an unexpected question.

Back to the classroom, young lady!

We have another thread running just now... 'A Strange Photo...'.:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/a-strange-photo-little-girl-with-monkey-figure.67533/

I have previously brought that thread's existence to attention of the prominent local newspaper and now also contacted a related parish church, amongst others.

Thought has now surfaced.... let's consider reaction at the other end, when they are directed to a most peculiar and indeed arguably 'creepy' photograph...

'We've been targeted by one those weird Fortean people, should we notify the police...'.
Well, that's weird :/

Back