• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

"Meeting Nicola"

Well Frank had been through a lot of trauma in his young life so I don't think a bit of dissociation or a mild petit mal episode can be ruled out so easily IMHO.

Yes that's what went through my mind after reading the article, There again, as far as we know, it never happened before or since so maybe not.

Sollywos x

I don't know about Vampires and ghosts, but there is something peculiar and interesting at work.
Frank sounds handsome & i probably would have spoken to him (even these days - i have been chatted up occasionally in modern times! But i would generally stay standing still, have a chat & they would ask for your number / instagram or snapchat. I have also chatted men up in my life - shoot your shot girl!) but keep a certain distance & could imagine becoming nervous if, distraced by his hotness, i'd wandered somewhere too secluded. People react strangely sometimes in situations, adrenaline, lust and sudden fear, you would totally say something weird or start acting differently. I also understand being nice and speaking with men you might be becoming a little cautious around (being also a dark haired green eyed girl from south london with the same name as this girl - although the dates don't match!)

None of that sounds especially strange unless her whole face changed in that it actually became extremely different (not just making expressions or becoming angry)

The lack of noise does seem strange, the extreme fear he felt (which she maybe also felt, maybe didn't) - if the event has stuck with him all these years in the way that it has, maybe she wasn't all she seemed to be

I've rambled a bit here - what i'm trying to say i think is, the parts of this that stand out (to me) are his EXTREME fear and unsettledness, the silence, and the sudden appearance of the biker.

I suspect she was probably a real female and the biker was her real friend / boyfriend - the deaths in the area are interesting, but if she was something otherworldly looking to take young men to their doom, she might not have gone off with the biker? Interesting events though - and i like to think there's more to the tale, Frank's instincts certainly seem to tell him there was!

Frank sounds handsome & i probably would have spoken to him (even these days - i have been chatted up occasionally in modern times! But i would generally stay standing still, have a chat & they would ask for your number / instagram or snapchat. I have also chatted men up in my life - shoot your shot girl!) but keep a certain distance & could imagine becoming nervous if, distraced by his hotness, i'd wandered somewhere too secluded. People react strangely sometimes in situations, adrenaline, lust and sudden fear, you would totally say something weird or start acting differently. I also understand being nice and speaking with men you might be becoming a little cautious around (being also a dark haired green eyed girl from south london with the same name as this girl - although the dates don't match!)

None of that sounds especially strange unless her whole face changed in that it actually became extremely different (not just making expressions or becoming angry)

The lack of noise does seem strange, the extreme fear he felt (which she maybe also felt, maybe didn't) - if the event has stuck with him all these years in the way that it has, maybe she wasn't all she seemed to be

I've rambled a bit here - what i'm trying to say i think is, the parts of this that stand out (to me) are his EXTREME fear and unsettledness, the silence, and the sudden appearance of the biker.

I suspect she was probably a real female and the biker was her real friend / boyfriend - the deaths in the area are interesting, but if she was something otherworldly looking to take young men to their doom, she might not have gone off with the biker? Interesting events though - and i like to think there's more to the tale, Frank's instincts certainly seem to tell him there was!
I guess hotness is a key factor in all this. A physical attractiveness is the center of all this. It does appear that frank is attracted to the more dark haired type from what I have gathered, would this have worked if she was blonde? All folklore must have it's roots in some reality, this event could be a modern record of such an event, a mix of psychological and cultural vices mixing together to create a experience that the mind tries to recreate a sense of reason. I think this is one of those cases that poses more questions than answers. I would like to search for the real Nicola, but alas I don't want to go onto message boards and sound like some stalker. ( this board is OK , weirdness is what we do ).

Last edited by a moderator:
Would it have worked if she'd been blonde, like you say? I wonder...if she exuded the same presence then maybe, everyone has a 'type' but have been surprised at my sudden attraction to men who don't fit that, and maybe the type wasn't as fixed as i thought it was. Have you asked Frank what he thinks?

Sounds like he would have known a lot of girls though...if his instincts said something was up and it sticks in his head to this day with the impact it has then (to me), something was going on. Good luck finding the real Nicola - worth a shot maybe, i hope he finds whatever answers he is looking for, although would it ruin it if she turned out to just be a normal person?

Would it have worked if she'd been blonde, like you say? I wonder...if she exuded the same presence then maybe, everyone has a 'type' but have been surprised at my sudden attraction to men who don't fit that, and maybe the type wasn't as fixed as i thought it was. Have you asked Frank what he thinks?

Sounds like he would have known a lot of girls though...if his instincts said something was up and it sticks in his head to this day with the impact it has then (to me), something was going on. Good luck finding the real Nicola - worth a shot maybe, i hope he finds whatever answers he is looking for, although would it ruin it if she turned out to just be a normal person?
I don't know, is it best served as a mystery? The bittersweet conclusion in my mind would bring forth a satisfactory conclusion to this case, it would also highlight the psychology of such a fortean experience., to bring closure to something like this. I seek only the truth. Myself I have only experienced 2 ( quite minor) fortrean experiences, that I think I can quite happy explain.

I don't know, is it best served as a mystery? The bittersweet conclusion in my mind would bring forth a satisfactory conclusion to this case, it would also highlight the psychology of such a fortean experience., to bring closure to something like this. I seek only the truth. Myself I have only experienced 2 ( quite minor) fortrean experiences, that I think I can quite happy explain.
If that was the case you wouldnt have posted it on here, everyone looks for answers to unanswerable questions, it is what makes us human, its what makes us get up and keep searching in the morning :p

If that was the case you wouldnt have posted it on here, everyone looks for answers to unanswerable questions, it is what makes us human, its what makes us get up and keep searching in the morning :p
I did say I prefer an answer, even if it turns out mundane. But it would have to be conclusive.

Well here is the place to share them! Even if explainable, sure people would love to hear them if you're comfortable sharing

{Ahem ... } Steering back to the original topic ...

It's been 10 days since I posted (post #117) a request for clarification on a map of the location at which Frank first met Nicola and which end of the lane leading to the lake was the place where the biker surprised them.

{Ahem ... } Steering back to the original topic ...

It's been 10 days since I posted (post #117) a request for clarification on a map of the location at which Frank first met Nicola and which end of the lane leading to the lake was the place where the biker surprised them.
Sorry I must have missed that post, tonight is my late night at work so Tomorrow I will take a shot of the map and in photoshop give numbered locations to where the event unfolded.

Well here is the place to share them! Even if explainable, sure people would love to hear them if you're comfortable sharing
First one was straw raining from the sky, exotic weather phenomena, second one was a large snake like object high in the night sky, was like a eel or snake swimming on the surface of the water, except it was in the sky, it was like high among the clouds.

Last edited:
First one was straw raining from the sky, exotic weather phenomena, second one was a large snake like object high in the night sky, was like a eel or snake swimming on the surface of the water, except it was in the sky, it was like high among the clouds.
When you have more time i love to hear more details, maybe in the 'it happened to me' thread rather than taking this thread off topic :p

mapwt.jpg

Franks arrives at the Cowey Sale at around 9:00am to meet his friend that usually parks there at that time to sell ice cream, realizing his friends Ice-cream van hasn't turned up yet he walks down along the river to pass some time (only people he can see is 2 fishermen camped near the bridge and a couple of cars).

Frank walks till he gets to Map marker(1) where he turns around and see's that his friend still hasn't turned up, so decides to walk back along the river towards home.

He passes ,Map marker (2) and after a few seconds of walking past this area he hears a splashing sound, thinking it is some large fish , he turns instead to see a girl crouching down on the shingle looking out at a large black dog swimming in the river.

(note the straight reinforced banking that you now see now in google images, back in the early 80's the banking was worn away with three inlets, it was on one of these inlets where Nicola stood).

After introducing himself and a brief conversation ( see original text) he talks about a lake area that was designed by some historical landscape Gardner, and she agrees that it would be a good idea to visit it.
They both then walk towards , Map marker (3) this is the path that leads down to the lane (note the white lane you see on google maps is the new lane that runs parallel to the narrow one in the trees)

there is also a river with heavy bushes and steep banks in the trees also.

After small talk mainly centered on himself, Frank starts to feel uneasy (he said it felt like standing next to a electrical generator) the hairs on his neck prickle up, it is at this moment that Frank introduces the puzzling question about the Solstice , Map marker (4).

After Nicolas reaction they take several steps forward and she turns around and talks to a guy dressed in all black leathers, and stood atop a big black and chrome bike (probably a Harley Fat boy judging from the description).

After asking him to walk on frank walks a few yards and turns back to see them both stood there talking but he can't hear anything, he walks to a bend in the path , map marker (5) where he walks behind a tree and then takes a peep to have another look at the biker, just to find the lane empty, he runs back up the lane, looking and listening, and eventually after realizing the dog hadn't come with them, to return back to the spot he first met her ( Map marker (2).

Thanks, Damien!

The annotated map clarifies a number of (locational) issues that had been bugging me. In particular, I wanted to verify that the bend where Frank ended up was the one noted here (tags 4 and 5) rather than either of the two preceding 'bends' at which other paths intersect / diverge (at least nowadays).

Any news on Frank making an appearance here?

I mentioned it to him a few days ago (weekend) he said he was going to take a look, think he's dealing with some family issues at the moment, one of his parents had gotten over having covid then they had to go into hospital again. I hope he does come on here, to give the information only he can provide.

Something struck me as odd about Frank's story ... Why was he so interested in seeing his acquaintance the ice cream vendor that day?

And ... Was it normal for Frank to go for extended walks away from home in the early morning?

Last edited:
Something struck me as odd about Frank's story ... Why was he so interested in seeing his acquaintance the ice cream vendor that day?

And ... Was it normal for Frank to go for extended walks away from home in the early morning?
It was something he used to do when his friends ice-cream shift was in the area, Frank was on leave from art college and I think he was just getting out of the house, he is the Athletic type and going for walks and being active out and about isn't anything strange for him. But to answer the question there wan't anything special he was meeting him for (well not that he has told me anyways) just a case of meeting a friend for a short chat and to get out of the house. I hope he comes on here himself , he will be-able to answer better than me.

He did seem to go looking for his friend very early though. Why would an ice cream salesman start selling at 9.30 in the morning? I'd have thought lunchtime or early afternoon before they hit their stride. You're not going to find THAT many people desperate for a 99 just after breakfast!

He did seem to go looking for his friend very early though. Why would an ice cream salesman start selling at 9.30 in the morning? I'd have thought lunchtime or early afternoon before they hit their stride. You're not going to find THAT many people desperate for a 99 just after breakfast!
I think you GREATLY underestimate the power of Ice-cream in the Walton-on-Thames community :p Interesting point though, I have just looked around the web and found that it's NOT altogether unusual for an ice-cream Van to start it's rounds in the morning. Again I'm no ice-cream van expert.

I was thinking about this the other day. When I worked in a school, one of the science lessons consisted of taking the class out onto the field and using a burner to fill a giant long black plastic sack thing with hot air. The sack was tethered to the ground, but on two occasions the tether snapped and this huge waving 'thing' like a windsock only black and shiny, would take to the air. On a windy day and filled with hot air, these things got to quite a height and would then make off in whichever direction the wind was blowing. We used to have to ring the police and let them know, in case the 'thing' got to such a height as to interfere with aircraft. We never got them back, either.

Does this sound anything like your snake in the sky, Damien?

I was thinking about this the other day. When I worked in a school, one of the science lessons consisted of taking the class out onto the field and using a burner to fill a giant long black plastic sack thing with hot air. The sack was tethered to the ground, but on two occasions the tether snapped and this huge waving 'thing' like a windsock only black and shiny, would take to the air. On a windy day and filled with hot air, these things got to quite a height and would then make off in whichever direction the wind was blowing. We used to have to ring the police and let them know, in case the 'thing' got to such a height as to interfere with aircraft. We never got them back, either.

I can't imagine it being a plastic bag, then again I haven't seen a plastic bag hot hair balloon. The closest thing I can relate it to anything man-made ,was this guy in america, who had these propellers spinning things all linked together to make a long snake-like serpentine chain, when the wind spun the propellers it lifted off the ground and twisted same as what I saw, except what I saw was MUCH longer and very high in the sky.

I had one of these break away from me and then the next day the local paper had a letter asking who else had seen a large black cylinder flying ove the centre of town a few minutes after our large black cylinder had escaped. The one we used was simply heated up by the sun, very impressive!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Giant-Solar-Balloon-50-foot/dp/B00O9ZR168
0D995F10-1D99-4ADE-948C-A66767464754.jpeg

Back