• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Megaliths & Moonlight

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Ancient stone monuments may have been used for mysterious moonlit ceremonies, say archaeologists
Sarah Knapton, Science Editor
7 July 2017 • 10:00pm

Ancient stone monuments may have been used for mysterious night-time ceremonies, archaeologists believe, after finding that some rock carvings only appear in moonlight.

Traditionally Neolithic structures were believed to align with the movements of the Sun, with the huge Wiltshire circle of Stonehenge lining up perfectly with the summer solstice.

But a new investigation of the stone age engraved panel Hendraburnick Quoit in Cornwall by Dr Andy Jones, found nearly 10 times the number of markings when viewed in moonlight or very low sunlight from the south east.
They also discovered that pieces of quartz had been deliberately smashed up around the site which would have glowed in the dark under moonlight, or firelight, creating a gentle luminescence.

Dr Jones, of the Cornwall Archaeological Unit said: “I think the new marks show that this site was used at night and it is likely that other megalithic sites were as well.
“We were aware there were some cup and ring marks on the rocks but we were there on a sunny afternoon and noticed it was casting shadows on others which nobody had seen before.

“When we went out to some imaging at night, when the camera flashed we suddenly saw more and more art, which suggested that it was meant to be seen at night and in the moonlight.
“Then when you think about the quartz smashed around, which would have caused flashes and luminescence, suddenly you see that these images would have emerged out of the dark.

“Stonehenge does have markings, and I think that many more would be found at sites across the country if people were to look at them in different light.”

Hendraburnick Quoit is a large propped ‘axe-shaped’ stone that was set upon a low platform of slates on Hendraburnick Down, near Davidstow. Dr Jones believes it was dragged up from the valley below to act as a ritual marker for a sacred site in the Late Neolithic or Early Bronze Age, around 2,500BC.

Previous studies had recorded 13 cup marks on the rocks but Dr Jones and colleague Thomas Goskar found 105 engravings when he started to look under new light, making it the most highly decorated and complex example of rock art in southern England.

Writing in the archaeology journal Time and Mind, and Dr Jones and Mr Goskar conclude: “As in many cultures where darkness is associated with the supernatural and the heightening of senses , it is possible that some activities at Hendraburnick Quoit may have been undertaken at night.
“Quartz has luminescent properties and reflects both moonlight and firelight
“Given that human eye perceives colour and shade quite differently at night than by daylight and the art would have been visible in moonlit conditions, the smashed quartz at Hendraburnick could have been used as part of night time activity on the site in order to ‘release’ the luminescent properties of the quartz around the monument and ‘reveal’ the art in a particular way.
“After the ritual, the broken pieces, once they had fallen on the ground, could have effectively formed a wider platform or arc which would have continued to glisten around it in the moonlight, and thereby added to the ‘aura’ of the site.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...-may-have-used-mysterious-moonlit-ceremonies/

Hendraburnick Down is about one km W of Davidstow, and 7 km E of Tintagel. Springs on Hendraburnick Down are the source of the River Camel which meets the sea below Padstow.

I'm of the opinion that the ancients knew things, many things that are not acknowledged by our present culture.
Over all I think it possible that the megalithic stone structures of old may have a significant impact on the energy of the earth and as a result they may influence the energy and or life force of those of us living on the earth.
This influence may in fact be a manipulation.
Billy Meier states that many of these megalithic stone structures were implemented by ET races and that their influence on mankind was not benign.
Carlos Castaneda mentions in his writings that the structures found in Mexico, Central and South America have a negative effect on human beings as the creatures who first made them knew exactly how to capture the attentions and energies of mankind as a whole.
Castaneda states that these monuments still exude this effect and that it is not a good idea to visit them.
I don't know if this is true, but it has kept me from viewing this structures with the idea that they were simple or harmless.

The article mentioned is:

Hendraburnick ‘Quoit’: recording and dating rock art in the west of Britain
Andy M. Jones & Thomas Goskar
Time and Mind: The Journal of Archaeology, Consciousness and Culture
Vol. 10, no. 2
Pages 1-16 | Received 09 Apr 2017, Accepted 03 May 2017, Published online: 04 Jul 2017

Abstract and author descriptions accessible at:

http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1751696X.2017.1341241

The one behind Burrowing Owl we visited.
I told the kids there would be a cave or hollow that may contain offerings. That got them pumped.
We did find a cave but there was fallen rock inside.

Some of the more interesting ones I'd like to go to, just to see if there are any other objects etc. I'm sure the first people saw and venerated these special places.

With these megaliths being visible at various stages of the Sun....
I'd like to see these faces lit up at night with spotlights.
Everybody could then see them far easier...
What a neat night time tour

Back