• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

nataraja

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I imagine this probably won't stay on Wikipedia for long, as i doubt any sane person will believe it's true, but it's certainly bizarre: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel%27s_Hole

Sheep Experiment and Seal Entity

In an attempt to lower a living sheep to the 1500 foot level, a subject sheep was led to the hole- however when it got close, the sheep became very agitated and had to be stunned to get it into a crate. When the stunned sheep in the crate was placed over the hole, the sheep woke up again, and began making piercing "screaming" noises and thrashing around inside its crate.

The crate was lowered to about 700 feet, at which point the vibrations could no longer be felt. When the cable had been lowered to its full length of 1500 feet, the metal collar around the hole began to vibrate. The crated sheep was left for half an hour, and winched back up the surface, where it was found to be dead.

Externally, the dead sheep seemed to be the same as when lowered, but inside, "the sheep looked like it had been cooked." In addition, a gellied blob filled the body cavity where the internal organs normally would be, described by Mel as looking like a "huge tumor."

The "tumor" was removed, and the experimenters believed they saw some movement inside it. When cut open, the tumor released a "fetal seal," with human-looking eyes, connected to the tumor with an umbilical cord. The "seal" seemed to have a hold on those present, and it and the human experimenters viewed each other for over two hours.

According to Mel, the seal seemed to him to be a being "filled with compassion" and after nodding at the experimenters, it dove back into the hole. The tumor and sheep remains were bundled in a tarp and thrown back into the hole.

Mel Waters claims that he was diagnosed with esophageal cancer prior to his experience at the second hole- afterwards, the cancer was entirely gone, with no evidence it had ever existed. Mel feels that he was healed by the seal-like entity from the sheep carcass.

In a later interview, Mel claimed the seal entity was now making regular visits to the Basque shepherds camping around the surface of the Nevada hole. The seal was said to communicate with the shepherds through a portable radio, however when recorded, only a series of unintelligible sounds resulted, as one might hear in interference on a short-wave transmission.

Anyone else heard of this? :shock:

No, this is definitely a first for me--thanks for the link!

Folks--you have to read the whole thing. It has to be seen to be--er--believed! :shock: ;)

I do admire the guy for rescuing wombats. Cute little critters. :p

And I love the part about the "alternate universe/history"--sounds like an especially juicy episode of "Star Trek"!--and the part about the "1943 dime that could not be photographed" sent me into fits of giggles.

That's exactly what happens to me every time I try photographing the fairies in my back yard. :lol:

Great googly moogly. :shock:

The bit about the black beam seen emanating from the hole sounds familiar though; dunno if I read it on the FTMB or...?

nataraja said:
I imagine this probably won't stay on Wikipedia for long, as i doubt any sane person will believe it's true

Well, there's certainly enough people on the "official" forum looking for the thing!

http://www.melshole.com/

Not sure if Mel himself turns up. If he does, he isn't giving away the exact location.

Funnily enough I've seen a black beam of light (as daft as that sounds!) as mentioned in that article myself. From where I viewed it it seemingly stretched from the ground in the Formby/ Crosby/ Ainsdale area ( merseyside) upwards into the sky .

Weirdy, weirdy.

It reminds me of the story of the isolated valley in siberia where the strange metal buildings were (allegedly) found.

BTW - can anyone tell me what basque shepherds are doing in Nevada - do they want their own separatist state?

On another point - wouldn't 80,000 feet of fishing line be too heavy to support it's own weight?

I feel a virally advertised film coming on <sneeze>

Regards
Bazizfulloflurgyatthemoment

bazizmaduno said:
BTW - can anyone tell me what basque shepherds are doing in Nevada - do they want their own separatist state?

One doesn't generally think of Nevada as a big state for sheep, but anything's possible; if you were a Basque shepherd, you'd go where the ovines were, I suppose. There are quite a lot of Basques in the state and the former governor of NV, Paul Laxalt, was the son of a Basque shepherd.

edited to fix quote

Well, this has got to be one of the weirdest stories I've heard in a long time.

Looking at the forum, it looks a bit like a bit of a tall story or in joke that's got out of hand....

In some places they have lying competitions....

When I first heard the "Mel's Hole" story, around a decade ago on Art Bell's radio program, Mel related that he'd tied fishing cord after fishing cord together with a weight at the end and dropped the line EIGHTEEN MILES down into the Earth without ever hitting bottom.

The question I had then, and to which I've never yet received a decent answer, is where in the hell do you find a fishing line - or a cord, a rope, a cable or even a chain - that will hang straight down for 18 miles without breaking under its own weight?

There's going to be a point where the weight of the string below that location exceeds the weight-bearing capacity of the upper sections of the string. And that would apply equally to ropes and to chains.

Saith the Seattle Times:

[T]ransistor radios brought to the hole play programs from the past.

I've changed my mind -

I Believe! I Believe!

Tinkerbell, I Believe!

Old Time Radio

Signalnorth says that they have seen a black beam of light in the Ainsdale area of Merseyside. Could you please tell me when you saw this?
In the early 1970's there was a beam of black light seen coming from Thurstaston common on a number of nights. I wanted to go and investigate but nobody else would come with me and I was too scared to go on my own.

signalnorth said:
Funnily enough I've seen a black beam of light (as daft as that sounds!) as mentioned in that article myself. From where I viewed it it seemingly stretched from the ground in the Formby/ Crosby/ Ainsdale area ( merseyside) upwards into the sky .

A couple of points:

1. No I had nothing to do with this.

2. We need to know more - possibly start a new thread "Black beams of light"?

OldTimeRadio said:
When I first heard the "Mel's Hole" story, around a decade ago on Art Bell's radio program, Mel related that he'd tied fishing cord after fishing cord together with a weight at the end and dropped the line EIGHTEEN MILES down into the Earth without ever hitting bottom.

The question I had then, and to which I've never yet received a decent answer, is where in the hell do you find a fishing line - or a cord, a rope, a cable or even a chain - that will hang straight down for 18 miles without breaking under its own weight?

There's going to be a point where the weight of the string below that location exceeds the weight-bearing capacity of the upper sections of the string. And that would apply equally to ropes and to chains.

This is the whole problem with the Space Elevator - most things would start becoming insanely heavy at some point which is why they think they are going to hav to perfect nanotubes to get the right strength and weight:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10773

I agree with other comments that suggest it sounds more like the lying clubs of old but it is a great story :)

Wouldn't a black beam of light be a beam of shadow?

Black beams of light sometimes reported from UFOs.

gncxx said:
Wouldn't a black beam of light be a beam of shadow?

Don't try and trick me into revealing anything. I know nothing about them and that is the story I'm sticking with.

In nature, of course, black beams of light eminate from places where the sun don't shine.

Hey, if you can get black rainbows, why not black beams of 'light'? :)

I'm surprised that Mel didn't send a light and a TV camera down the Hole, as far as possible, preserving the results on a video recorder

It's a great story. Considering it's a 10 year old story I am amazed I'd never heard about it before.

Since it is that old I would guess it's not a viral marketing ploy.

Frobush said:
In nature, of course, black beams of light eminate from places where the sun don't shine.

Now that's useful to know, because I have a few things I've been told to put there... :shock:

tilly50 said:
Signalnorth says that they have seen a black beam of light in the Ainsdale area of Merseyside. Could you please tell me when you saw this?
In the early 1970's there was a beam of black light seen coming from Thurstaston common on a number of nights. I wanted to go and investigate but nobody else would come with me and I was too scared to go on my own.

Sorry for the delay in replying. I saw this some time during the early 1990's. It was daytime and summer.

And yes of course I know that the whole idea of a black stream of light does not make sense, but I know what I saw as it was very very clear.

In reading over this "black beam of 'light'" material I can't help but wonder if John Milton might not have been there well before us all with his description of Satan as being "not Light, but Darkness visible."

I also can't help wondering if any hole or shaft sufficiently deep could produce such a phenomenon. Does anyone know a deep-mining expert or well driller they might ask?

Thurstaston and Ainsdale are both nature reserves, open heathland close to the coast with Ainsdale being on sand dunes and Thurstaston on sandstone. There are no mine shafts in either of these areas that I know of. The "black light" on Thurstaston was seen during the summer around the solstice and was blamed on "witches and/or satanists" carrying out rituals on "Thor's Stone".

Also, is it even possible to have a hole 18 miles deep, without the shaft collapsing in on itself?

It depends on what it's a hole in, how wide it is, and how the sides are shored up. If it were in soft sand, for example, no it wouldn't be possible. But I doubt you'd find soft sand to a depth of 18 miles. If it were bored through solid rock, then it's quite plausible.

Anome_ said:
It depends on what it's a hole in, how wide it is, and how the sides are shored up. If it were in soft sand, for example, no it wouldn't be possible. But I doubt you'd find soft sand to a depth of 18 miles. If it were bored through solid rock, then it's quite plausible.

You're most likely correct. What I was wondering is if with a hole that deep, mightn't gravity create a sort of a "sideways pressure" to fill up the void? (Yes, I realize that gravity works "straight down," but that doesn't save a failing dam.)

Additionally, there's a natural tendency of holes in the earth to close, due to the natural flow-rate of the stone. That of course takes many millennia....at least at the surface. But might the situation be different miles down?

Gravity doesn't just work down, it works in all directions. The mass of the Earth behind the walls of the hole will pull on it, keeping it in place. Of course, the mass of the Earth below it is much higher, but gravity actually gets lighter the further down you go.

Has anyone ever come across the weird story of Mel's Hole, the seemingly bottomless pit situated on an obscure piece of land, which was supposedly confiscated by the government after the owner went on Art Bell's Coast to Coast paranormal radio show? I just spent over four hours listening to the entire tale on YouTube - and you can also read about it on Wikipedia. The story starts off as plausible and weird, before jumping the shark and going completely nuts in its final stages.

I just wondered if anyone else had heard of this story, and what their thoughts were.

Back