• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Memories That WERE Real, Not Imagined

AnonyJ

Captainess Sensible
Having-a-nice-cup-of-tea-and-a-sit-down-shire
As a kind of fairground mirror to the Mandela Effect - things you always remembered that no-one else could, which you then thought you'd somehow made up but turn out to have been true all along!

My best one is being 8 years old, watching something on a B&W TV at my Gran's home about a man with a beard burying a golden hare and something about a puzzle book which would help you to find it. To me, at that age and in our personal circumstances, it seemed something amazing and magical.

I spent years wondering about it, mentioned it to my mum and other relatives a couple of times to utterly blank responses. As years went by I managed to convince myself I must have dreamed it and didn't mention it again.

Then we come to 1998, and my first experience of The Internet and all of its wonders. One of my first few searches on dear old Alta Vista told me of course it 1979's Masquerade by Kit Williams; the broadcast was Nationwide (The One Show of the 1970s) and I was totally correct. I bought a first edition of the book a couple of years later and showed my dear Mamma :)

[In fact the story intrigues me now more than ever, I even tracked down Bamber Gascoigne's out-of-print book about being involved in the original burying and the very strange history of what happened around the time of its discovery and afterwards.]

I'll leave it to AnonyJoolz - just adding that I think Bamber Gascoigne wrote a book about it!

Bamber Gascoigne's out-of-print book 'Quest for the Golden Hare' (1983) is a great read and covers the four years from start to the somewhat odd finish, well worth a read! Hard to track down but I managed an ex-library copy a few years ago. What is also fascinating are the accounts of people all over the world who variously read whatever they wanted to into the treasure hunt, as well as a very sad story of a man who became mentally-ill regarding this 'quest'

The whole thing has so many Fortean aspects, taking in eccentric creativity, free-spirited art, English history, esoterica, human psychology, code-breaking, treaure-hunting to name a few. I am not sure that ufology makes an appearance but I wouldn't be surprised!

There are many websites/news sites that summarise the whole epic story from pre-1979 to the eventual discovery and fate of the beautiful jewelled hare, here's a selection:

http://bunnyears.net/kitwilliams/

http://www.planetslade.com/masquerade.html (long read article)

https://www.filfre.net/2016/05/kit-williamss-golden-hare-part-1-the-contest/

https://www.treasureclub.net/publichunts/masquerade/index.html

Enjoy!

I'd love to hear about other's memories/experiences that turned out to have been true all along!

Last edited:
Good thread :)

For years I had a memory of watching a film that I'd first seen in my late teens (my mum and I watched it together on telly) in which there were only a few people left alive in the world, all of which had 'died' at the time that something catastrophic had happened to the earth, such that they actually survived instead.

For years I tried to remember the name of this film as the ending had always stayed with me as being quite powerful and moving. But try as I might I couldn't remember enough details to get a fruitful internet search. Mr Zebra had never seen the film so didn't know what I was talking about. Eventually I began to think maybe I'd imagined watching it, or I'd seen it in a different dimension / timeline.

But then, a couple of years ago, I stumbled across it - can't remember now how I found it; - it was called The Quiet Earth. It did exist after all, and Mr Zebra and I watched it on YouTube. In some parts it wasn't as startling as I'd remembered, but I still liked the ending. :)

(Next on my mystery list of things-I-remember-but-no-one-else-does is the flip chart sheets from primary school which taught us to read music and had panda-bear faces on). I know they existed.

Good thread :)

For years I had a memory of watching a film that I'd first seen in my late teens (my mum and I watched it together on telly) in which there were only a few people left alive in the world, all of which had 'died' at the time that something catastrophic had happened to the earth, such that they actually survived instead.

For years I tried to remember the name of this film as the ending had always stayed with me as being quite powerful and moving. But try as I might I couldn't remember enough details to get a fruitful internet search. Mr Zebra had never seen the film so didn't know what I was talking about. Eventually I began to think maybe I'd imagined watching it, or I'd seen it in a different dimension / timeline.

But then, a couple of years ago, I stumbled across it - can't remember now how I found it; - it was called The Quiet Earth. It did exist after all, and Mr Zebra and I watched it on YouTube. In some parts it wasn't as startling as I'd remembered, but I still liked the ending. :)

(Next on my mystery list of things-I-remember-but-no-one-else-does is the flip chart sheets from primary school which taught us to read music and had panda-bear faces on). I know they existed.

I remember that film!! [ZOMG! etc]

And remember trawling Halliwell's film guides until I found it in pre-internet days. I remember the last scene really well, the Saturn-like planet on the horizon of the beach (IIRC :) )

I remember that film!! [ZOMG! etc]

And remember trawling Halliwell's film guides until I found it in pre-internet days. I remember the last scene really well, the Saturn-like planet on the horizon of the beach (IIRC :) )

:D

Yes, it's a beautiful last scene, kinda stays with you, doesn't it?

(Don't suppose you also remember my panda-bear sheet music do you?) *hopeful look*

Had a good go at it online but no luck, but I believe you about the pandas!

Thank you anyway! I've been googling it for crikey knows how many years (on and off) and can never find anything about it. But I can see them in my mind. I know they were a thing.

In the late 70's I saw a black and white dubbed, silent or subtitled foreign film, set in a school. All I can remember of it was the end. A character put his eye to a desk inkwell, looked down and it was a bottomless hole.

The film terrified me. My memory tells me that it was on around mid-day and I was off school sick. The timing seems very unlikely but I feel sure of it.

No-one else seems to know of it and Google has failed me.

In the late 70's I saw a black and white dubbed, silent or subtitled foreign film, set in a school. All I can remember of it was the end. A character put his eye to a desk inkwell, looked down and it was a bottomless hole.

The film terrified me. My memory tells me that it was on around mid-day and I was off school sick. The timing seems very unlikely but I feel sure of it.

No-one else seems to know of it and Google has failed me.

You piqued my interest with that so I went searching but alas to no avail, the internet does not want to give me any information about this.

Did this take place in the UK? If so I'm unsure as to a foreign film (was it definitely foreign, do you think?) would have been shown in the middle of the day? There were only 3 channels at that time (those were the days :)) and programming was interspersed throughout the day with CEEFAX, ORACLE and Test Cards.

Could it have been, odd as it sounds, a Schools Programme? There were some quite odd ones, as I recall.

Last edited:
You piqued my interest with that so I went searching but alas to no avail, the internet does not want to give me any information about this.

Did this take place in the UK? If so I'm unsure as to a foreign film (was it definitely foreign, do you think?) would have been shown in the middle of the day? There were only 3 channels at that time (those were the days :)) and programming was interspersed throughout the day with CEEFAX, ORACLE and Test Cards.

Could it have been, odd as it sounds, a Schools Programme? There were some quite odd ones, as I recall.
$

Hi

It was definitely in the UK; I can't remember which of the plethora of (three!) channels it was.

I am certain it was during the middle of the day/early afternoon and was a foreign production. If that was a schools programme then..eek! What sort of minds were at the BBC in the late seventies!*

* Actually don't answer that one; we know all too well what type of people were at the BBC in the seventies.

$

Hi

It was definitely in the UK; I can't remember which of the plethora of (three!) channels it was.

I am certain it was during the middle of the day/early afternoon and was a foreign production. If that was a schools programme then..eek! What sort of minds were at the BBC in the late seventies!*

* Actually don't answer that one; we know all too well what type of people were at the BBC in the seventies.

Thanks for the extra info :)

I've discovered in recent years (I love looking back at old telly and stuff) some schools programmes were quite bizarre (not that we perhaps realised it at the time).

Very curious though - I wouldn't have thought there'd be many foreign programmes shown back then on BBC (or ITV), certainly not in the middle of the day at the very least.

I wondered if it were one of the Trade Test Films - https://www.bpvideolibrary.com/bps_trade_test_films - but none of the ones on this list seem to fit the bill.

I'm going to have to keep looking now, cos I'm very curious about this!

:D

EDIT: Just found this site https://radiosoundsfamiliar.com/the-tv-times-archive-1970s.php which, if you scroll down, has TV Times magazines for each month of the latter 70s - and the super cool thing is if you click on the magazine you can then browse through all the pages! Can't believe I've never read this before!

EDIT 2: Ooh The New Avengers are on at 8...

Last edited:
... (Next on my mystery list of things-I-remember-but-no-one-else-does is the flip chart sheets from primary school which taught us to read music and had panda-bear faces on). I know they existed.

Please note that AnonyJoolz's stated context for this thread wasn't:

things-I-remember-but-no-one-else-does

... but rather ...

things-I-remembered-then-didn't-believe-I-remembered-only-to-find-I-was-right-in-the-first-place.

Please note that AnonyJoolz's stated context for this thread wasn't:

things-I-remember-but-no-one-else-does

... but rather ...

things-I-remembered-then-didn't-believe-I-remembered-only-to-find-I-was-right-in-the-first-place.

Oh yes, sorry. :boh:

Last edited:
Back