• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Men In Black

I remember when the movie first came out, I'd just been to a job interview and failed to get the place. Feeling bummed out I walked past the cinema and saw that the movie would be starting in a few minutes. So I bought a ticket, settled down with a bucket of popcorn (took off my wisely invested Rayban Wayfarers, so I could see) and throughly enjoyed myself. This was in Bournemouth, so any reports of an MiB watching MiB, well that was me.

Niles "Wears anything, as long as it's Black" Calder

Seen a Man In Black?

I find the whole notion of the Men In Black very disturbing. Whether they are humans who are working for the government and are instructed to behave bizarrely, or are aliens trying to assimilate, or an alien/human hybrid, it doesn't matter, I find it all very unnerving.

If its humans acting that way on purpous that's almost more disturbing.

So my question is has anyone had a direct encounter with a man, or men, in black? Or are they stuck in the 60s and 70s?

-Fitz

I agree, I find the MIB phenomenon disturbing as well (though it does seem to have relegated itself to the past)...I think it goes back to reading that passage in "The Mothman Prophecies" when the MIB visited those folks in the 60s and the housewife noticed a wire sticking out of his calf, running up his leg while he was sitting in their living room questioning the family.

Does anyone in the UK remember the advert (for Smirnoff vodka, I think) that featured an MIB? It was shown quite awhile ago, but I remember that it featured various bits from one particular MIB event quite accurately (i.e. the MIB had an odd bald head and seemed to be wearing make-up, and made a coin disappear, telling the witnesses that that would be the last time anyone in this dimension would see it, etc.)...

Does anyone know if any of the Men In Black's threats were ever followed through? Did anyone who claimed to be threatened by them actually dissapear or have something ill happen to them?

-Fitz

I don't think I've read of anybody actually being harmed by MIBs.

Jenny Randles' book on MIBs (yes, my favourite fortean book!) is probably the best work on this and features a lot of original investigation, including revisiting famous British UFO cases to look at the MIB aspect that nobody had covered. One interesting one is the MIBs in the aftermath of the Cumberland Spaceman photo.

And yes, they do get very sinister sometimes.

"I could understand the men in black wanting to stop Albert Bender from revealing the 'truth' about UFOs, but getting stroppy about someone reporting a strange light in the sky is a little harder an idea to grasp."

I have a book about the history of U.F.O.'s somewhere but I seem to have misplaced it a couple years ago. I remember reading about a guy who was going to reveal the truth about U.F.O.'s but the MIB stopped him saying that the truth would be revealed in time. Is this the guy who this happened to? If so, does anyone know if they said approximately when the truth would be revealed?

I first learned about the MIB in Brad Steiger's Out of the Dark. I like his interpretation of the MIB phenomenon:

I believe that the manner in which the so-called MIB conduct themselves depends to a large part on the nature and attitude of the percipient with whom they have chosen to interact. They provide immediate feedback, as if they were malign echoes. Cry out in fear, and they will give you good reason to fear them. Threaten them, and they willl prove how threatening they can truly become - and how quickly they can carry out their maledictions.

I have become convinced that such aspects of the Greater Phenomenon as the MIB are constructed primarily as teaching mechanisms. The important thing for those who find themselves victims of the negative aspects of the phenomenon is to begin at once to structure their reality to exclude such entities of darkness as the MIB, thereby breaking their hold on their conscious and unconscious thought processes. Refuse to play their game - and you will soon deprive them of the energy that they need to exist in our physical dimension. They will then be forced to return to the shadows whence they came.

Nick Redfer back again with another book:

On the Trail of the Saucer Spies: UFOs and Government Surveillance
by Nick Redfern

The Government knows all about UFOs. And it knows all about you, too...

Since 1947, official agencies across the world, including the CIA, the FBI, the United States Air Force, the National Security Agency, and the British Ministry of Defense, have undertaken clandestine UFO investigations and have compiled thousands of pages of classified documentation on this strange, unearthly subject. But, in their quest for the truth about UFOs, those same agencies have been secretly spying on you, as well.

It isn't paranoia if you think "they" are watching you: they really are!

Revealed for the first-time from on-the-record interviewees, an analysis of previously-classified official records, and testimony provided by insider-sources, is the amazing story about how and why Military, Intelligence, and Government departments keep a close watch on those people that look for, and see, UFOs.

• Highlights of On the Trail of the Saucer Spies include:

* The FBI's reports on people who claim to have met extraterrestrials*

* Top Secret surveillance of alien-abductees *

* The real-life Men in Black who spy on UFO witnesses *

* Phone-tapping and mail-interference of UFO researchers and authors *

* Scotland Yard's secret monitoring of UFO computer-hackers *

* Classified files on researchers of the famous Roswell crash of 1947 *

* Official infiltration of Flying Saucer research groups *

* UFO writers suspected by the Government of working for hostile nations to uncover defense secrets*

*The author's own experience of being spied upon by the British Ministry of Defense for his interest in UFOs*

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN//1933 ... ntmagaz-21
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN//193366 ... enantmc-20

Thanks for tHAT EMP!

I'll be going over to "barns and Noble" and ordering that one!
Nick's books always get my eyes slightly xtra wide often while reading (like the last one "body snatchers in the desert" a very chilling book!!)

I wasn't even aware of -On the Trail of the Saucer Spies: UFOs and Government Surveillance- coming out! I must be slipping!

ruffready said:
I wasn't even aware of -On the Trail of the Saucer Spies: UFOs and Government Surveillance- coming out! I must be slipping!

Not necessarily - the publisher is a PoD company:
www.lightningsource.com
www.hoovers.com/lightning-source-uk/--I ... heet.xhtml

So its doubtful they'd actually have a big (any) marketing budget (some won't even provide review copies) and so it is down to the author and word of mouth,

I am suprised he couldn't get a major publisher interested in this as I'd imagine it'd sell well and he is a know and respected author with quite a few titls under his belt.

ahhh..that makes sense. As I usually get some sort of e-mail notifications on such things (as previous authors I've purchased etc.., heads up etc..) or see it in catalogs I order comics and such from. He should really put an add in the "diamond catalog", it pays.
I suspect he'll take a bundle with him to a convention or lecture ( that he seems to attend quite often) ..

ruffready said:
ahhh..that makes sense. As I usually get some sort of e-mail notifications on such things (as previous authors I've purchased etc.., heads up etc..) or see it in catalogs I order comics and such from. He should really put an add in the "diamond catalog", it pays.
I suspect he'll take a bundle with him to a convention or lecture ( that he seems to attend quite often) ..

Ah ha - seems it is out from Anomalist Books (who are presumably using Lightning to print the books):

www.anomalistbooks.com/redfern.html

They are releasing and reprinting a lot of books at the moment so you should keep checking back on their site for developments.

just after my first ufo sighting, i went outside to see if it there was anything else to see. after a root around i decided to return to the house i'd been in when i saw it (ie not mine).

at this point i though "i wonder if i see any MiB now."

promptly on my arrival at said house, i walked into the kitchen there to be greeted by two men dressed head to toe in black and wearing black bowler hats.

however, they both measured about 3 inches tall and were made of plastic on account of the fact that they were Home Pride (a UK brand of flour) figurines as shown here: http://www.homeprideflour.co.uk/shop/index.htm

Today I was waiting for a bus in a town miles from here when two young men dressed in dark suits (or maybe just dark jackets) walked past. They were also wearing name tags which might also have born company names - I didn't get time to read them.

But as they passed, the younger of the two addressed me by name, as in "All right, ryn?" He looked in his mid-teens, and I don't think I've ever seen him before, so I just mumbled, "Yeah, OK.." and they were past me.

Probably some simple explanation, like he mistook me for someone with a similar name to mine, but it was pretty puzzling at the time. (But no, I've not seen any UFOs recently!)

rynner said:
But as they passed, the younger of the two addressed me by name, as in "All right, ryn?" He looked in his mid-teens, and I don't think I've ever seen him before, so I just mumbled, "Yeah, OK.." and they were past me.

You might know his dad and have met the young man briefly when he was a child.

rynner said:
Today I was waiting for a bus in a town miles from here when two young men dressed in dark suits (or maybe just dark jackets) walked past. They were also wearing name tags which might also have born company names - I didn't get time to read them.

Probably some simple explanation, like he mistook me for someone with a similar name to mine, but it was pretty puzzling at the time. (But no, I've not seen any UFOs recently!)

No doubt the MIB's know you're posting here *putting on paranoid conspiracy glasses* 8)

(I think we need some ghosts, greys, aliens, UFO and MIB's emoticons)

I find the MiB sories interesting, lol, bur feel short changed in a way, I have seen many a UFO but never an MiB

I had one MIB-like episode in my life that I am still somewhat at a loss to explain.

This incident occurred during the summer of 1973 or 74. I was 18 or 19 at the time. My cousin Tony and I were out late on a Friday night and we decided to get a six-pack of beer, walk up to a local public grade school, sit on the steps, and quench our teenage summertime thirst. We hadn't been sitting there very long when we both heard the sound of a very loud car approaching. As it came into view, we saw that it was a 1959 Cadillac convertible (the one with the huge fins). It was moving no more than about 10 miles an hour and it was apparent that the car had no muffler. We watched it as it passed, wondering why such an unusual car was slowly cruising through our neighborhood after midnight. The car disappeared up the street, however, and we soon turned our attention to other things.

After a while, we got tired of sitting so my cousin and I got up from the school steps and decided to walk. We rounded the side of the school building and found ourselves walking up a dark side street with no street lights and few houses. We hadn't gone very far when, again, we heard the sound of that loud engine. About a quarter of a mile up the street, a pair of headlights swung toward us. Both my cousin and I froze.

The side of the street we were on had woods on it. We slowly edged into the tree line and waited. The car approached and, as it slowly passed us, we could see it contained a man driving, a woman next to him in the front passenger seat, and a small boy in the back seat. The street was dark but their faces were illuminated by the glow of the dashboard lights. My cousin and I agreed afterwards that none of the three moved the entire time we had them in sight. They said nothing, facial expressions didn't change, they were absolutely like manikins. The car disappeared down the street and we never saw it again.

Being teenagers out late, this freaked us out a bit. We decided that was enough for one night so we started walking home. As we rounded the block, a police car approached us. The car stopped and the officer asked us what we were doing out so late. Then he asked us if we'd seen anything unusual. Of course at this point we spilled the whole story. He calmly explained that the car contained bicycle thieves. Somewhat relieved, we walked on home.

After a bit, I thought it seemed awfully convenient that the police officer pulled up when he did and offered us a prosaic explanation for what was a very weird experience. My cousin and I still discuss it from time to time and we still don't know what to make of our Night of The Androids.

S

Interesting story, Skeptikal01
Once I had a slightly weird encounter with some distinctly odd 'car people', I posted it somewhere else on the forum, I might go and dig it out.

Skeptical01 said:
After a bit, I thought it seemed awfully convenient that the police officer pulled up when he did and offered us a prosaic explanation for what was a very weird experience. My cousin and I still discuss it from time to time and we still don't know what to make of our Night of The Androids.

S
That reminded me of the dismissive park ranger in the UAV or UFO? thread:
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29843

But annoyingly, I can't seem to find the story! It must have been in one of the links given in that thread - and one of the links in the OP no longer works for me! :shock:

Can someone relocate that story, and prove that the MIB are not actually getting at us too!

Bicycle theives? In a Cadllac? That you could hear for miles?

That policeman was pulling your leg.

suspicious explanation

It only occurred to me later that we saw no bicycles in the car. The trunks on those Caddies were huge but I don't recall seeing that the trunk lid was even ajar (at least it wasn't obviously so). So, if they were bicycle thieves, they were very bad at it.

I just remember how eerie it was to see these motionless people driving down that dark street. If they were looking for bikes, don't you think they would have been scanning yards to see if some kid left one on the front lawn? Instead, all three of those people sat bolt-upright, looking straight ahead. You would think at least the kid would be moving around but, as long as we had them in sight, he never did.

You also have to ask what kind of mother and father would take their kid out for a night of larceny. I know there are some really dysfunctional families out there but that just seems weird.

S

Re: suspicious explanation

Skeptical01 said:
...I just remember how eerie it was to see these motionless people driving down that dark street. If they were looking for bikes, don't you think they would have been scanning yards to see if some kid left one on the front lawn? Instead, all three of those people sat bolt-upright, looking straight ahead. You would think at least the kid would be moving around but, as long as we had them in sight, he never did.

You also have to ask what kind of mother and father would take their kid out for a night of larceny. I know there are some really dysfunctional families out there but that just seems weird.

S

Interesting story but it was probably just an odd family. Being an Optometrist I see a large cross section of humanity and some of them are just odd/strange and not in a paranormal way.
Also MIB have usually ben connected to ufo events after the fact or other occult or paranormal activity in a given area. Was there anything unusual going on in your area at that time?

Area UFO activity?

I wish I could remember an exact date for the episode. Like I said, at this point, I can only narrow it down to the summer of 1973 or 1974. The more I think of it, I think it was 1973 - which was certainly a flap year. I'd have to go back and peruse the Akron Beacon Journal archives to see if there was anything specific.

I agree, Doc, there are some weird families in the world but this one sure took the cake.

S

PS: Doc check your PM over at the other place.

Back