• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mermaid In Hong Kong

Richyboyo

Junior Acolyte
I found this old story in an American newspaper Plain Dealer Jan 20th 1860
1553709000201.png

wonderful find! wonderful!

"During my stay in Japan I shall make this a subject of special inquiry, and procure one or more specimens, if possible to do so."

Is there enough information to trawl through for a sequel?????

Looked it up. Prince Arthur was a grandson of Queen Victoria. In a classic example of royal inbreeding, his wife the princess was a great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria. The title of Duke of Connaught was traditionally given to a monarch's third son (after Duke of Cornwall and Duke of York) and the last Duke of Connaught was this guy's son, who was born before the creation of the free state and died in WWII.

A Prince who self-identified as a Princess? And the Free State had departed from the UK in 1922 so she certainly was self-identifying as Princess of Connaught.

Prince Arthur of Connaught and Princess Alexandra of Fife were first cousins once removed.
After their marriage, Alexandra was referred to as HRH Princess Arthur of Connaught, in accordance with the tradition that a wife normally shares the title and style of her husband. (Wiki)

Prince Arthur of Connaught and Princess Alexandra of Fife were first cousins once removed.
After their marriage, Alexandra was referred to as HRH Princess Arthur of Connaught, in accordance with the tradition that a wife normally shares the title and style of her husband. (Wiki)

I know but he ceased to be Duke of Connaught in any meaningful sense in 1922. The King really should have made him Duke of Cromer or something. My quibble isn't with your post, it's rather with the Post-Colonial pretensions of the aristocracy.

I'm not getting lured onto rocks by a Gender-fluid fish monkey (unless it has boobies)

Back