• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Message From The Future?

A

Anonymous

I had a very strange experience some years ago, and was wondering whether any one else remembers the same incident. I have never discussed this with anyone really for fear of sounding daft, not even with my father who witnessed it with me.

Basically in early to mid 1980's when i was around 10, my father and i were watching probably one of the first UK TV showings of "Romancing the Stone", and understandably were recording such a good movie. During one of the adverts which featured an Audi car drving through and very industrial landscape (like something out of Robocop) the picture froze and a voice announced that, "this is a message from the year 2003/4.......", I am no longer sure of the exact message or of the date, although i'm sure it was the early 2000's, The message lasted for about 10 seconds and then the advert resumed. My father and i both looked at each other and remarked that this was odd, and when we later checked the video tape there was no message.

did anyone else witness this, or had a similar experience.

some it sounds pretty similar, although i think it was quite a bit earlier than the 90's so i doubt if it was a bank advert, althgouh it could be a practical joke. At least I'm not mad and other people have witnessed this kind if thing.

I suppose it could still be from the future!!

Hello all - first time poster - just bumping this up...

I've been searching for info/confirmation on this advert for years - seems this is the only place on the web that confirms it actually happened - don't know why i didnt try here earlier as I buy FT magazine every now and then...

I've been telling people about this advert for years but no-one and I do mean no-one believes me - I saw the exact same advert when I was about 15 - so I'd have to say the timeframe was more towards 1989/1990 than early/mid 80s (remember Romancing the Stone didn't come in the cinema until 1984) - Watching Romancing the Stone one Saturday or Sundey afternoon when in the mddle of a car advert this advert from the future comes on.

I remember thinking the production values and CGI (this was the time when I was really getting into cgi and that Lawnmower Man was cutting edge cgi) was top notch...

In regards to the First Direct advert mentioned in other posts - didn't they appear during the programmes and not during the adverts like the one I witnessed?

Any info on this would be appreciated - its been bugging me for years to the point that I started to believe I was making it up...

reminds me of the guinness adverts with rutger haur where he says something for telepaths (the joke being only telepeths can recieve the message). one night after the pub, my friend and i where watching tv and the ad came on, we both clearly heard the same message, it never happened again, so a clever advertising idea i think!

I remember the advert.
I saw it on television during Romancing the Stone on a Sunday evening, around 1989.
It was very clever, and for a while I entertained the idea that it really had been a "message from the future", but it was just an advert, possibly for a banking service called First Direct (?)

Back