• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Message In A Bottle

A spouse('s ashes) accompanied the message in this bottle.
Message in a bottle with husband's ashes travels from Florida to Spain

A Kentucky woman who threw a message in a bottle containing her husband's ashes into the ocean during a Florida trip said the bottle was found two years later in Spain.

Mary Whitt of Somerset said she took a trip to Daytona Beach with her family two months after her husband, Jerry Whitt, died suddenly. ...

Whitt decided to put Jerry's ashes into a bottle with a photo and a note and threw it into the Atlantic Ocean.

"I thought that this would be a good way that he could travel" ...

Whitt said she received an email recently from the Alvarez family in Carballo, Spain. The family said they had been visiting Razo Beach on the northwest coast of the country Aug. 13 when they found the bottle containing Jerry Whitt's ashes.

Whitt said she asked the family to scatter Jerry's ashes into the Atlantic, and they sent her a video showing her wishes in action. ...

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/0...-travels-from-Florida-to-Spain/4631598899483/

The Press and Journal of 29/8/20 has a story about a "mailboat" that was sent from St Kilda in 2010 to mark the 80th anniversary of the evacuation of St Kilda on 29/8/30. The mailboat was finally found on a beach on Andoya, an island off the north coast of Norway in April this year by a group of children. They sent off the 7 postcards it contained and they finally reached their destinations! One of the cards went to the Duke of Rothsay* and another was addressed to Norman Gillies who was one of those evacuated. Unfortunately he died in 2013 so it was sent to his son instead who was thrilled to recieve it. :)

*As the Prince of Wales is known here.

The Press and Journal of 29/8/20 has a story about a "mailboat" that was sent from St Kilda in 2010 to mark the 80th anniversary of the evacuation of St Kilda on 29/8/30. The mailboat was finally found on a beach on Andoya, an island off the north coast of Norway in April this year by a group of children. They sent off the 7 postcards it contained and they finally reached their destinations! One of the cards went to the Duke of Rothsay* and another was addressed to Norman Gillies who was one of those evacuated. Unfortunately he died in 2013 so it was sent to his son instead who was thrilled to recieve it. :)

*As the Prince of Wales is known here.
Good job it wasn't a request to send food or medical supplies!

This boy lost a tooth in the sea, then sent a message in a bottle to the Tooth Fairy at the seashore.
The Tooth Fairy responded ...

Boy's message in a bottle gets reply from 'The Tooth Fairy'

A Tennessee boy who addressed a message in a bottle to the tooth fairy after losing his tooth at a South Carolina beach received a reply in the mail from a generous stranger, his mother said.

Ashley Hamrick of Knox County said her young son, Lucas, was visiting Myrtle Beach with his family in June when he lost his tooth while boogie boarding and it disappeared into the surf. ...

Hamrick helped Lucas write a letter to the tooth fairy explaining the incident and the note was put inside a bottle and thrown into the ocean.

The mother said she was surprised when a package showed up at the family's home months later bearing a Dayton, Ohio, postmark.

The package contained a letter addressed to Lucas and signed by "The Tooth Fairy."

"I hope you had a fun vacation at the beach! I'm so sorry that you lost your tooth in the surf. I got your message in the bottle, so I wasn't worried about not finding it right away," the letter reads.

"Good news! Mermaids found your tooth and gave it to me! The mermaid wanted you to have this shark tooth to remember your vacation. Brush your teeth 2 times every day to keep them pretty for me. Flossing is good too. Stay safe," the anonymous person wrote.

Hamrick said the package contained a shark tooth necklace for Lucas, but did not include any information that might identify the kind stranger. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/0...ets-reply-from-The-Tooth-Fairy/2971600892016/

The St Kilda mailboats sound fun; I have never been to St Kilda.

But if I do, I'll be sure to make one up to take along.

If the message in a bottle doesn't offer any clues to the sender, what is the appropriate response - especially if you had to break the bottle to access the message?

NOTE: No, I don't know why the finder family's name is cited in 2 different ways.
Message in a bottle plucked out of Boston Harbor

A family boating in Boston Harbor made an unusual discovery when they plucked a message in a bottle out of the water.

Kim Boyd of Hingham, Mass., said she was boating with her family Sunday when they spotted a floating object as they entered Boston Harbor. ...

"We pulled up to see what it was, it was a bottle with a message in it" ...

Boyd said the barnacle-encrusted bottle proved difficult to open so they took it home and broke it with a hammer, using a plastic bag to keep the broken glass contained.

The message on the note inside was brief, but meaningful: "Be safe East Boston."

The note was not signed or dated, the family said.

Byrd said her family is now planning to replicate the discovery for someone else.

"Maybe we'll go out and throw a bottle in the water and put a cool message in there," Byrd said. "It's really neat to find something like that."

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/1...e-plucked-out-of-Boston-Harbor/2131603125404/

Women fishing on North Carolina's Outer Banks discovered a bottle containing a message and a man's ashes.
North Carolina friends find message in a bottle with man's ashes

Kelly Bergenstock said she was fishing at Nags Head with Dana Hedgepath and Tricia Bonday, her fellow members of the "Looney Tunas" fishing team, when she came across something in the sand. ...

I see this bottle has washed up right next to my leg and I'm like, 'Oh my God. It's a message in a bottle.' I always wanted to find one of these" ...

... While using pliers to remove the note inside, Bergenstock noticed the bottle also contained what appeared to be the ashes from a cremation.

The note turned out to have been written by a woman whose husband, Scott Lovett McKinney, died in 2018.

The Looney Tunas did some research online and were able to contact McKinney's widow, Camille Halley.

"For him to wash up down there, with three crazy women on a beach in the middle of a northeaster -- that's so classic Scott," Halley said. ...

Halley said McKinney liked to go sailing and would often launch his own messages in bottles in the hopes of hearing from someone who found one.

"He always wanted somebody to find one of his bottles. So he got his wish the other way around," Halley said.

The Looney Tunas said they launched McKinney's bottle back into the ocean after taking some photos of their find.

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/1...ge-in-a-bottle-with-mans-ashes/1281604430903/

The author of this 32 year old message in a bottle doesn't recall creating it.
32-year-old message in a bottle found in Canadian lake

An Ontario, Canada, man who found a 32-year-old message in a bottle on the shore of a lake said he was able to talk with the message's author -- although she has no memory of writing the note.

Larry Jones, of Bobcaygeon, said he was working on his property on the shore of Sturgeon Lake when he spotted a green bottle stuck in the mud. ...

Jones and his wife, Millie, opened the bottle and discovered a letter inside authored by a 13-year-old girl named Angela Vankerkhoven.

Vankerkhoven's note, dated July 14, 1988, said she lived in Simcoe and was visiting White Swan cottages, located on the other side of the lake from Jones' property.

Jones said he was contacted by Vankerkhoven after her mother saw a news report about his discovery. He said the woman told him she recalled visiting White Swan cottages in 1988, but she had no memory of setting a message in a bottle adrift in the lake.

FULL STORY (With Video):
https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/1...-bottle-found-in-Canadian-lake/5431604959485/

I'm not sure why a raging hurricane would provide a good opportunity for launching a message in a bottle.
Florida family finds message in a bottle from Cuba

A Florida family walking on the beach discovered a message in a bottle authored by a child in Cuba about three years earlier and thrown into the sea during a hurricane.

Katie Bodiford said she and her family were exploring an overgrown island across from their home in Flagler Beach when they discovered a plastic bottle with a note inside. ...

Bodiford said her family had to cut the bottle open and carefully remove the water-damaged note from inside.

"I really hope somebody finds this," the note reads.

The note was not signed but appears to have been authored by a child who reported they were planning to launch the bottle during Hurricane Irma, which swept through Cuba in 2017. ...

The family posted a photo of the letter on Facebook in the hopes that the owner will find out about their message in a bottle's fate.

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/1...-message-in-a-bottle-from-Cuba/5091605639973/

It seems there's a bumper crop of bottled messages showing up in Florida. Or maybe it's just a matter of so many Floridians having nothing better to do than wander the beaches in these crazy times ...
Florida man finds message in a bottle from Swiss man

A Florida man who found a message in a bottle washed up on the beach was able to contact the author of the letter: a Swiss man who threw the bottle into the ocean in the Canary Islands.

Glenn Vincent of Daytona Beach said he spotted the bottle on shore during a recent storm and carefully removed the water-logged message inside. ...

Vincent said he had to wait for the pieces of the paper to dry so he could glue them back together and read the message.

The bottle had been launched by Cyrill Mattle, a Switzerland native who had tossed the bottle into the ocean in the Canary Islands in March 2019.

Vincent was able to contact Mattle using an email address included in the letter. Mattle said he had actually tossed about a half dozen messages in bottles into the ocean on the same day. He said he previously heard from someone who found one of his bottles in Turks and Caicos.

"I drop them out to see if someone finds it and also I think it's good, good fun to reply and see who else is behind the story," Mattle told WESH-TV. ...

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/1...age-in-a-bottle-from-Swiss-man/1901605812152/

This bottled missive made it from Newfoundland to Scotland.
Message in a bottle travels 2,000 miles from Canada to Scotland

A Scottish couple said they were shocked when a plastic bottle their dog found at the beach turned out to be a message in a bottle that traveled 2,000 miles from Canada.

Sharon and Michael Cox said they were walking on Traigh Eais beach, on the Isle of Barra, when their dog, Louie, grabbed a plastic bottle out of the surf. ...

The couple opened the bottle and discovered a handwritten note that was dropped into the ocean off the coast of Newfoundland, Canada.

The message reads: "Hi, my name is Kaya and my uncle Curt is writing this letter hoping that someone will pick it up and see how far it will travel. This is the latitude and longitude where he will drop this bottle from a fishing boat. I live in a small community named Reefs Harbour on the norther peninsula of Newfoundland, Canada."

The couple said Kayla's family got in touch after seeing their post about the discovery on social media.

"The young lady's grandma, who is a community nurse in the area of Reefs Harbour, contacted me," Sharon Cox told the Press and Journal. "She thanked me for sharing the post and told me how Kayla is very excited to know I found the letter." ...

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/1...-miles-from-Canada-to-Scotland/7911607635191/

Sometimes all you get is a mess in the bottle ...
Message in a bottle from Canada washes up in North Carolina

A North Carolina couple said they are trying to solve the mystery of a message in a bottle that traveled over 1,000 miles from Prince Edward Island, Canada.

Ann and Roy Huntley said they were walking on the beach in Ocracoke when they found a glass bottle with a note inside. ...

The couple said they couldn't remove the cap from the bottle, so they ended up shattering the glass -- only to learn moisture had erased much of the message from the paper inside.

"I guess about 75% of the note was illegible" ...

The Huntleys said the author's name and address were among the pieces of writing that ended up erased from the paper, but they were able to make out "P.E.I." for Prince Edward Island, a Canadian province more than 1,200 miles away. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/1...da-washes-up-in-North-Carolina/9171608140937/

Not all messages inside bottles are found floating ...
126-year-old message in a bottle found inside Boston wall

Researchers in Boston are unraveling an unusual mystery after a resident found a glass bottle inside a wall with a cryptic note tucked inside.

The Boston Archaeology Program said a resident living in the Black Bay area found the bottle tucked into the space between their fireplace flue and an interior wall inside their home. ...

The N. Simons rye whiskey bottle contained a cryptic note dated Sept. 23, 1894. The note bears the name "Tom Ford" and the phrase "6 on Shea."

"We have a mystery for the hive mind this week! A Boston resident found this amazing message in a bottle tucked into the space between their fireplace flue and an interior wall, presumably placed there by past builders," the archaeology program said in a Facebook post. "Anybody have any ideas about N. Simons, Tom Ford, or '6 on Shea?' Let us know in the comments!"

FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/1...ottle-found-inside-Boston-wall/8641608234761/

Canadian kite-surfer finds a message - and diamond ring - in a bottle while recovering lost surfing equipment ...
Nova Scotia kite-surfer finds message in a bottle with diamond ring

A Nova Scotia man who went on the hunt for some lost kite-surfing equipment made an unexpected discovery -- a message in a bottle accompanied by a diamond ring.

Sebastien Allain said he was using some borrowed equipment when he went kite-surfing in Nova Scotia's Chezzetcook Bay and a strong gust of wind came along to ruin the experience. ...

"And there's a strong gust that came and just flicked the kite into the water, and the wind was offshore, so it drove the kite out to sea" ...

Allain said he researched tides and winds and determined the kite may have ended up on one of several small islands nearby. He said he found the lost kite after about four hours of swimming and searching, and while on his way back to shore he found a bottle floating in the water.

He uncorked the bottle once he arrived home and found it discovered a three-page note and a small diamond ring.

"It's just crazy that I found the bottle and there was a diamond ring inside, and the funniest thing of all, is that I just proposed to my fiancee the week before," Allain said.

The note was authored by a man in his 70s who revealed he had been launching messages in bottles for about 30 years. The man wrote that the enclosed ring had belonged to his mother, who died in 2018.

Allain and his partner paid a visit to the man's home to bring him gifts and talk about his bottled messages.

"We brought him a little box of chocolates and stuff," Allain said.

The man told him a few of his bottles have been found over the years, including one that was discovered by a teacher and led to his receiving multiple Christmas cards from students. ...

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...-in-a-bottle-with-diamond-ring/7351609966555/

Here's a rare trans-Pacific message in a bottle ...
Teen's message in a bottle travels 1,200 miles in two years

A message in a bottle that a Washington state teenager dropped into the ocean while sailing in the South Pacific was found two years later after floating 1,200 miles to Papua New Guinea.

Niki Nie ... said she was 17 years old when she and her family were sailing in the South Pacific. On Jan. 8, 2019, she tossed a message in a bottle into the ocean to commemorate crossing the equator on the way to the Marshall Islands. ...

The bottle was found two years later by Steven Amos, a ranger with the Conflict Island Conservation Initiative, who was cleaning litter from a beach on Panasesa Island, off the coast of Papua New Guinea. ...

The group posted photos of Nie's bottle on Facebook, and the post reached her within hours.

"As far as it getting found by a conservation group," Nie said, "I have to say at first I was a little guilty. I was like, 'Oh no, I probably shouldn't have thrown a bottle in,' but I figured it was helpful that it was glass."

The Conflict Island Conservation Initiative has invited Nie to come visit the Conflict Islands and learn more about the group. Nie said she is hoping to make the trip in the near future.

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...ravels-1200-miles-in-two-years/9441611171749/

This Florida message in a bottle traveled almost 250 miles in a year.
Message in a bottle travels 250 miles in a year

A Florida couple out for a walk on a beach found a message in a bottle that turned out to have been tossed into the water one year earlier and about 250 miles away.

Bob Murphy of Sebastian said he and his wife were walking along the beach north of Treasure Shores Park in Vero Beach and just south of the Sebastian Inlet when they found a washed-up bottle with a note inside. ...

The note inside was faded, but the Murphys were able to make out a girl's name and phone number.

Murphy called the number and spoke to a woman who said her daughter, Ella, is a Miami fifth grader who launched the bottle from Marathon, on the southern tip of Florida, about a year earlier.

"That makes the trip over 247 miles. Wow. Sometimes it's the simple things in life that bring happiness in today's crazy world," Murphy told Sebastian Daily.

FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...le-travels-250-miles-in-a-year/6811612198379/

The search is on for the launcher of this western Australian message in a bottle.
Message in a bottle found on beach near Kalbarri after 42 years

In April 1979 someone named ‘I Cassidy’ placed a message in a bottle and threw it into the sea.

It was not seen again until it turned up on the beach at Wagoe Station near Kalbarri last month.

Ashley McClintock said he spotted the bottle while leading a quad bike tour.

“I thought it was somebody’s water bottle so I asked the last person in the group to pick it up,” Mr McClintock said.

“It turned out it was an old bottle with ‘poison’ written on it.” ...

Mr McClintock said it contained a piece of folded cardboard, about four inches long by an inch wide, which expanded to eight inches when unfolded.

The message on the inside was dated 3/4/79 and read: “If this is found four years or more after it is sent reward will be offered. Contact address on other side. If it is found less than this, 50c for each year but please contact I Cassidy”.

Mr McClintock said the writing on the other side was hard to read as it had been smudged by water.

“It was dated 3/4/79 and said: ‘sent from C…n or G….n Western Australia contact I Cassidy 312 (or 3/2) Stirling Street Highgate’,” Mr Cassidy said.

“It looks like it came from Geraldton or Carnarvon.” ...

SOURCE: https://thewest.com.au/news/midwest...h-near-kalbarri-after-42-years-ng-b881791979z

See Also: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...n-a-bottle-on-Australian-beach/9591612992942/

This UK message bottle was launched in 1961 - apparently intended to float across the Atlantic to the USA.
60-year-old message in a bottle intended for U.S. found on British beach

A pair of friends skipping stones at a British beach discovered a message in a bottle that had been intended to travel to the United States, but was found on the opposite side of England 60 years later.

Indiana Tarrant, 21 and Luca Gamberini, 21, said they were skipping stones at Hove beach, in southern England, when they discovered a bottle that initially appeared to be empty, but they soon discovered contained a letter. ...

The letter, dated Aug. 7, 1961, was signed by "Bobby Doseuegs and Mates" and said the bottle was launched from Pleasure Beach in Blackpool, northern England.

The letter, apparently meant to be discovered in the United States, reads: "Dear you Yanks,

"How's life across the Pond? Threw this from the Pleasure Beach in Blackpool, U.K. Suppose I should say cheers for the help in the war. Roy Orbison is starting to kick off here and everything's seeming to get pretty groovy.

"I wonder what it's looking like on your side. Never been to America but I'd love to put on a Stetson and ride on horseback. Hope this message finds somebody well."

Indiana said the letter did not contain any contact information, so he and Gamberini attempted to find information about the sender online. They said they were unable to find any trace of a Bobby Doseuegs. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...-for-US-found-on-British-beach/2021613075474/

In this case, people considered the message in a bottle to be 'suspicious' and called the police ...
'Suspicious package' reported in Britain was message in a bottle

... The Isle of Wight Police said in a Facebook post that Sgt. Charlie Winchester responded Tuesday morning to a report of a "suspicious package" in Cowes. ...

Winchester said in the post that he located the object, which turned out to be a bottle containing a note from the "Adams family," bearing the date Nov. 11, 2020.

The sergeant added his own note to the bottle and returned it to where it was found.

"With a new quote added, l hope the next finder gets joy from something so simple as I did today," Winchester wrote. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...sage-bottle-suspicious-package/1541614114528/

A 21-year-old message in a bottle traveled from the Faroe Islands to the Shetland Islands.
Scottish woman finds 21-year-old message in a bottle from Faroe Islands

A Scottish woman talking a walk on the beach with a friend discovered a message in a bottle that had been launched by a group of young scouts 21 years earlier.

Megan Keppie said she and a friend were walking on the beach in Mangaster, on the Shetland Islands, when they spotted a bottle washed up on the shore. ...

Keppie said the bottle contained a message that was dated Jan. 17, 2000, but the note was written in Faroese, a North Germanic language spoken by residents of the Faroe Islands.

The woman turned to Facebook for help translating the note, and discovered it was written by Finn Johannesen, a member of a scouting group from the town of Faroe Islands town of Klaksvik. ...

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...cotland-Faroe-Islands-21-years/2631614717324/

This one didn't travel very far, but it took a long time to be found ...
Nova Scotia boy finds message in a bottle from 1995

A Nova Scotia, Canada, boy having a backyard campfire discovered a message in a bottle that was tossed into the water more than 50 miles away 25 years earlier.

Nyima Mitchell, 8, said was at his family's home in Cheticamp, on the island of Cape Breton, when he spotted a bottle under a pine tree. ...

He used a pair of pliers to remove the bottle's cap and discovered a message dated Aug. 12, 1995, and signed by an Aylmer, Quebec, 14-year-old who was visiting the Magdalen Islands with her family.

Britta Mitchell, Nyima's mother, said the bottle likely spent some time in a nearby pond after blowing in from the Atlantic Ocean. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...Mitchell-Cheticamp-Nova-Scotia/9961615926632/

I'm hoping that messages in bottles, claiming to be from 14-year-olds were actually from 14-year-olds in 1995!

Visions of Savile, Harris and Glitter chucking them wholesale into the ocean . . . o_O

This story was in my folks local rag this week, is it unusual to get 'messages in bottles' in rivers?

Top 10 WORST streets for crime - 2021-03-19T145917.364.png.gallery.jpg

https://www.basingstokegazette.co.u...ke-residents-find-18-year-old-message-bottle/

... is it unusual to get 'messages in bottles' in rivers? ...

I don't think it's notably unusual. There have been bottles discovered on seacoasts which were originally launched into inland rivers.

This bottled message traveled circa 1,000 miles from England to Norway in 8 months.
Message in a bottle travels from England to Norway in 8 months

A mother and son walking on a beach in Norway discovered a message in a bottle that traveled more than 1,000 miles in about eight months.

Ida Hodnebo, 36, said she was walking with her son, Tallak, 7, on a beach on the Norwegian island of Jomfruland when they came across a glass bottle containing a hand-written note. ...

The note was written in July 2020 by a 10-year-old girl named Lilly Carter, who wrote that she was planning to throw the bottle into the sea from the beach in Chapel St. Leonards, England, about 1,033 miles from where it was discovered.

The letter asked that whoever found the bottle post about it online, and Hodnebo posted photos of the bottle and Carter's letter to Facebook.

Harald Christiansen spotted the post online and decided to do some of his own detective work by joining a Facebook group for residents of Long Eaton. He shared Hodnebo's photos to the group, where they were spotted by Carter's mother, Claire Pentecost, 38.

"Both Lilly and her big sister Chloe, 11, sent messages out into the sea, but there's been no finder for Chloe's bottle yet," Pentecost told Lincolnshire Live. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...England-to-Norway-Lilly-Carter/1041617397253/

This one took 30 years to float circa 250 miles into a lake in an adjacent US state.
Message in a bottle travels 250 miles from Kentucky to Tennessee in 30 years

A message in a bottle dropped into a Kentucky river was found 30 years later after floating an estimated 250 miles to Tennessee.

Pam Stanfield said her husband, Daniel, and daughter, Skylar Mae, were treasure hunting on the shore of Open Lake, near Ripley, Tenn., after recent flooding when they discovered the bottle with a message inside. ...

The note inside the bottle was signed "John and Trina" and said the message was launched into the Green River on Dec. 21, 1990.

The bottle had apparently traveled 250 miles through the Green River, the Ohio River and the Mississippi River before ending up in the lake.

Stanfield said her Facebook post about the discovery had been up for less than an hour before she was connected with Trina Hollander. ...

Hollander said she didn't remember putting the message in a bottle into the river, but her husband, John, recalled the event right away. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...n-Lake-250-miles-Pam-Stanfield/9821619036050/

This latest one was speedy - drifting from Prince Edward Island in the Canadian Maritimes to Texas in only 2.5 years. It probably circled all around the Atlantic before coming back westward and entering the Gulf of Mexico.
Message in a bottle floats from Prince Edward Island to Texas

A message in a bottle tossed into the ocean off Canada's Prince Edward Island in 2018 was found washed up 2 1/2 years later on a beach in Texas.

Dianne Jurek, of Fresno, Texas, said she was walking on Matagorda Beach on May 7 when she spotted a bottle in the sand.

Jurek said she could see there was something inside the bottle. ...

The bottle contained a message from Lucas MacDonald, who included his contact information in the note.

MacDonald, 16, said he tossed the bottle into the water while tuna fishing off the coast of Prince Edward Island, Canada. He said he had forgotten about the bottle by the time he received a text message and photos from Jurek. ...

MacDonald said he was shocked to learn about the bottle's long journey.

"First it found its way out of like the Maritime region, that ocean, then it went all the way around the Atlantic," he said. "It was amazing how it went underneath Florida as well, and then went in and got stuck in Texas." ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...s-Lucas-MacDonald-Dianne-Jurek/8351621542185/

This bottle spent 10 years without traveling far at all. This is the first message-in-a-bottle story I've seen in which the bottle launcher apologizes to the bottle finder.
Message in a bottle found after 10 years in Russia

A Polish woman who threw a message in a bottle into the Gulf of Finland during a trip to Russia received a reply saying the bottle had been found 10 years later.

Natalia Kunowska said she was a student at Krakow's AGH University of Science and Technology in 2011 when she visited St. Petersburg as part of an international student exchange. ...

"I was with my friend at the beach and we came up with the idea to write a letter and throw it into the water," Kunowska recalled ...

Kunowska said she put her contact information and a 10-ruble note in the bottle in hopes of hearing from a finder in the future.

She said she finally heard last week from a man named Maksim who reported he had found the bottle near where it had been launched a decade earlier.

Kunowska said she found out Maksim is an ecologist and she apologized to him for littering. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...-Kunowska-St-Petersburg-Russia/3141622055802/

Here's more than a century old message in a bottle that was hidden in an old building rather than set adrift.
108-year-old message in a bottle found at Ford construction site

Likely left by workers who built Detroit's Michigan Central Station

Workers building Ford's office building of the future have found something very old. ...

Two members of the crew helping to turn Detroit's century-old Michigan Central Station into a modern innovation hub came across an old Stroh's bottle with a message inside hidden behind a cornice high on a wall.

The bottle is stamped with the date 7-19-1913, which coincides with the original construction of the building that had been abandoned in 1988. ...

Written on the rolled-up paper inside appears to be the message "Dan Hogan and Leo Smith stuck this greeting of Chicago July 1913."

"I think the bottle was left there with the hope that someone finds it in the future," project superintended Dave Kampo told Ford. ...

The bottle is one of more than 200 artifacts that have been found at the site, but the only one with a message. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.foxnews.com/auto/98-year-old-message-in-a-bottle-ford-construction

Back