• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Message In A Bottle

Offensive message in a bottle tells 'annoying' English tourists to 'piss off'

An offensive letter that reportedly washed up inside a bottle on a Llyn Peninsula beach earlier this week calls tourists "fat b*****ds" and tells English holidaymakers to "p** off". The letter, found by a local walking their dog, also refers to the Welsh as "sheep shaggers".

The bottle and its contents were found on Pwllheli beach. Having been posted online, locals speculated that it had been written by a teenager or a child.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/offensive-message-bottle-tells-annoying-24611512

maximus otter

Offensive message in a bottle tells 'annoying' English tourists to 'piss off'

An offensive letter that reportedly washed up inside a bottle on a Llyn Peninsula beach earlier this week calls tourists "fat b*****ds" and tells English holidaymakers to "p** off". The letter, found by a local walking their dog, also refers to the Welsh as "sheep shaggers".

The bottle and its contents were found on Pwllheli beach. Having been posted online, locals speculated that it had been written by a teenager or a child.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/offensive-message-bottle-tells-annoying-24611512

maximus otter
Written by a Scot then.

New Zealand stonemasons dismantling a monument for transport and re-installation in a different location discovered a message in a bottle from the stonemasons who'd originally erected the monument.
85-year-old message in a bottle found inside New Zealand monument

Officials in Christchurch, New Zealand, said a crew demolishing an old monument made an unusual discovery: a message in a bottle from the original stonemason team.

The Christchurch City Council said the crew working to dismantle the Citizens' War Memorial found the glass bottle when they cracked the concrete in exactly the right spot to reveal the hidden object. ...

"It was a fluke discovery," Brent Smith, the council's head of vertical capital delivery, said in a news release. "The contractor was working on dismantling the concrete core of the memorial when a big chunk of concrete broke off, revealing the glass bottle. If the concrete had not broken in that exact spot, we would never have found it."

The damaged note inside the bottle was dated February 1937 and contained a list of names of the stonemasons who originally constructed the monument. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/0...ns-War-Memorial-message-bottle/4161659986581/

A bottled message left by a young apprentice carpenter in an Australian school's spire has been discovered and presented to the carpenter's children.
Carpenter's message in a bottle found in school spire 86 years later

Workers restoring a school in Australia discovered a message in a bottle stashed in the school's spire by one of the carpenters who originally constructed the structure in 1935.

Junction Park State School in Annerley, a suburb of Brisbane, Queensland, said Queensland Heritage Restorations workers found the bottle while working on restoring the spire. ...

The note, dated Oct. 12, 1935, was authored by then-16-year-old apprentice carpenter Gordon Benson.

Benson wrote he hoped the note would find its way to his children or grandchildren.

The school hosted a ceremony Tuesday where Transport Minister Mark Bailey presented the note to Geoffrey Benson and Marilyn Blundell, two of Benson's five children. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/0...ate-School-Annerley-Queensland/9771661284878/

This recycled message in a bottle drifted over 100 miles across Lake Michigan within three months.
Message in a bottle travels more than 100 miles across Lake Michigan

A message in a bottle dropped into Lake Michigan was found about three months later after traveling more than 100 miles.

Joanie Giusto said she and her husband were boating off the coast of Racine, Wis., earlier this year when they spotted something in the water. ...

"We were on our boat in the harbor and my husband looked in the water and he said: 'Oh my gosh, it looks like a message in a bottle,'" Giusto told WKOW-TV.

Giusto said the message inside was badly faded and she could only make out "miss you" and a few other words.

... "I felt bad because whoever wrote it, obviously lost somebody that they loved, and they were hurting."

Giusto decided to write her own message and use the same bottle to toss it into Lake Michigan.

"Always remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, smarter than you think, and loved more than you know. Do something nice for someone today," she wrote. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/09/28/school-dance-postponed-bats-gym/9801664376390/

This dedicated bottled message finder is trying to locate either of the two writers of a note he found in the Caribbean this past February.
Message in a bottle leads man on search for writer from Portland

Clint Buffington is from the notably landlocked state of Utah — but when he found his first bottled note on a beach after college, he was hooked.

“If you can find one, there have to be others, there has to be a way to find more," he said. "It turns out the secret to that is walking a lot."

Now, every time Buffington is by a body of water, he just walks and looks for these treasures. He's found over 100 messages in bottles so far.

Buffington started a blog in 2011, Message In a Bottle Hunter to share stories of the friendships he's made through these potted missives. The site has served as a hub for message-in-a-bottle finders and senders.

Now Buffington is on the hunt to find the senders of a particular bottled note he found in February while on vacation in the Caribbean. ...

"It says the finder of this message will be visited by good luck," read Buffington. “It's just signed from Becky in Washington, D.C. and Jim in Portland, Ore.”

The message says that Becky and Jim dropped the bottle in the Atlantic Ocean in 2018 off the coast of Jacksonville, Fla.

Between the two senders, the drop location and where it ended up in Buffington's hands, the bottled message collector found the discovery particular exciting.

Buffington believes that the bottle had to have sailed thousands of miles north, then east, then south off the coast of Africa before finally drifting west again to the Caribbean, reasoning that there aren't strong currents pushing south around the Florida coast. ...
FULL STORY (With Photo): https://www.kgw.com/article/news/co...ttle/283-6a48c9a6-beab-405f-906d-391921a894b9

Alternate Online Source: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/1...-Caribbean-Portland-Washington/5261665085245/

Edinburgh mum finds incredible 135-year-old message in a bottle under her floorboards

An Edinburgh mum has been left flabbergasted after discovering a 135-year-old message in a bottle underneath the floorboards in her Morningside home.

Mum-of-two Eilidh Stimpson couldn't believe her eyes as she read out the hand-written messageon the withered note, which had been rolled up inside an empty whisky bottle since the day the floor was laid.

The Victorian time capsule was discovered on Monday by local plumber Peter Allan who just happened to cut through the exact place in the floorboards where it had been left on October 6, 1887.

315638519_10160254702865561_4101214589161622997_n.jpg

Signed and dated by two male workers, the message read: “James Ritchie and John Grieve laid this floor, but they did not drink the whisky. October 6th 1887. Who ever finds this bottle may think our dust is blowing along the road.”

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/new...-finds-incredible-135-25537021?int_source=nba

maximus otter

Last edited by a moderator:
"Eilidh Stimpson had to smash open the bottle to read the note"

She didn't have to, she felt compelled to because she presumably couldn't be arsed to take it to an expert. Well done for destroying a 135-year-old item and damaging the note itself, you mooncalf.

A Maryland fisherman discovered what appears to have been a 2021 memorial set of messages in a bottle.
Angler finds message in a bottle in Maryland

... Gregory D'Alessio of Alexandria said he was fishing near Maryland's Solomons Island and having very little luck on Thanksgiving Day. ...

"I was on my way back to the launch site after a pretty unlucky day of fishing," D'Alessio told Newsweek. "I broke one of my favorite rods while I was reeling in a big Rockfish and lost the fish."

The angler said he was almost back at the launch site when he found a glass bottle bobbing in the water.

"I saw this big bottle floating just off the dock of Bunkys Charter boat rental so I went over to it to get it out of the water so I could throw it away when I got back to shore," he said.

The bottle turned out to contain an obituary and several small, rolled-up notes. The obituary was for Maryland woman Emma Jean Ennis, who died at the age of 82 in January 2021.

"I didn't actually open the bottle because I assumed the letters were personal and didn't want to pry, it didn't seem respectful" ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/11/29/message-bottle-Chesapeake-Bay/1801669743060/

A 101-year-old message found in a bottle underneath a Manitoba statue apologizes for there being no brandy included with its enclosure.
101-year-old message in a bottle found under toppled Manitoba statue

Workers removing the base of a toppled statue in front of the Manitoba legislature discovered a 101-year-old message in a bottle decrying prohibition.

Manitoba Legislative Assembly officials said the workers have been removing the base of a Queen Victoria statue that was topped by protests in 2021, and they recently found a broken bottle concealed in the base that contained a note. ...

The note inside the bottle was dated July 30, 1921, when alcoholic beverages were outlawed.

"It says, 'On account of the Prohibition, we are unable to adhere to the custom of depositing a bottle of brandy under the stone, for which we are extremely sorry,' I believe is what it says," Reg Helwer, minister responsible for government services, told media outlets.

The note is signed by a stone cutter, other workers and Manitoba's then-deputy minister of public works, Helwer said. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/1...tue-message-bottle-prohibition/5471669929855/

A 2020 North Carolina high school graduate launched a message in a bottle over 2 years ago. His message turned up in Portugal earlier this month.
North Carolina graduate's message in a bottle reaches Portugal

A message in a bottle dropped into the ocean by a North Carolina high school graduate in 2020 has been found on a beach in Portugal more than two years later.

Charles Temple, an English teacher at the Ocracoke School in Hyde County, said he has made it a tradition for the past five years to take the school's tiny graduating class for a summer boat trip and have them toss messages in bottles into the Gulf Stream. ...

The messages consist of handwritten notes on the seniors' graduation programs.

Temple said he never received word of any of the bottles ever being found, until Elena Bretan tagged the school on Facebook in a post saying she had found a message in a bottle Saturday on a beach in Setubal, Portugal -- more than 3,600 miles away.

Bretan included a photo of the graduation program, which featured pictures of the eight students in the 2020 graduating class and a note saying it had entered the ocean on July 26, 2020. ...

Temple said the discovered bottle belonged to graduate Alan Doshier, whose father, Ernest Doshier, captains the charter boat he uses for his yearly trips with seniors. The teacher said Alan Doshier most likely does not yet know his bottle was found, as he is currently working on a fishing boat in the Bahamas.
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/12/22/message-bottle-Ocracoke-School-North-Carolina/9281671729399/

From Sunderland to Denmark: Five-year-old Harry’s message in a bottle found

Harry Liddle and his sister Grace Liddle, 12, threw the glass bottles off Roker Pier in Sunderland on August 28 2023.

On March 6, their mother Christie Bowley, 35, received a response on Messenger to say her son’s bottle had been found in Denmark.

UESSHO7EEVLE3GB7THHYEVIKNI.jpg

Frederik Bilgrav Schramm, from Romo, Denmark, told PA he found the bottle on March 6 and also sent some photos of it to the family.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/uk/f...in-a-bottle-found-NQFB6FPODZPOTH566MLGBFNY6I/

maximus otter

From Sunderland to Denmark: Five-year-old Harry’s message in a bottle found

Harry Liddle and his sister Grace Liddle, 12, threw the glass bottles off Roker Pier in Sunderland on August 28 2023.

On March 6, their mother Christie Bowley, 35, received a response on Messenger to say her son’s bottle had been found in Denmark.

UESSHO7EEVLE3GB7THHYEVIKNI.jpg

Frederik Bilgrav Schramm, from Romo, Denmark, told PA he found the bottle on March 6 and also sent some photos of it to the family.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/uk/f...in-a-bottle-found-NQFB6FPODZPOTH566MLGBFNY6I/

maximus otter
That can't be his writing.

Back