• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
You can find all sorts of goodies in littoral areas.
I'm assuming the ones in the illustration are buttons as I think have some like the red and orange ones in the bottom of the picture in my button box. some of the others look familiar as well :) (I can't make a thorough check as my button tin is in the shed and I'm not going out this time of night lol.)

Celtic coin causes shakes.

A rare Celtic gold coin found by detectorists and one of just seven known examples is going up for auction.

Discovered close to Royal Wootton Bassett in Wiltshire, the coin is smaller than a five pence piece. Weighing only 1.22g ( 0.04oz ) experts believe it was minted in the Savernake Forest and may not have travelled more than ten miles since then. More than 2,000 years old, it may be worth between £2,000 and £2,500 and has already had interest from collectors.

The coin was found by Jamie White, who was introduced to metal detecting by his dad. He is part of a group, but was detecting alone last year in a field when he uncovered the coin.

"There was a great signal," he said. "As I flipped the mud I saw a little bit of gold staring back at me and I had to take a seat. My heart had started racing - it was either going to be gold or a Christmas chocolate gold coin. It's tiny - I dropped it about three times after picking it up because I was shaking so much."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-wiltshire-68222411

A bestiary design strap-end.

'Rare' medieval silver strap-end found in Roudham by detectorist

Late medieval strap end

The chunky gilded-silver strap-end is engraved with a bird creature with a human head, wearing a hood or helmet

A late medieval gilded silver strap-end, engraved with an unusual bird design with a human head, is a "rare find", according to an historian.

A metal detectorist unearthed the object in September, in a field at Roudham, near Thetford, Norfolk.

The design may have come from medieval bestiaries, which were "the origin for JK Rowling's book Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them", said Helen Geake.

It was declared treasure by a coroner and a museum wished to acquire it.

While Dr Geake believed the engraving was probably based on a mythical creature, it could have been based on a species its creator had heard about, but had never seen. Such animals were found in bestiaries, which were illustrated books offering the most popular sources of information about animals, real or imaginary, during the Middle Ages. Each illustration would have been accompanied by a short description, as well as by a moralising text.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-68294105

Saw this on Facebook -

Remains of a 1,800-year-old ancient Roman iron mask thought to have belonged to a Roman soldier - found in the Hadrianopolis Ancient City in Karabük.

At first glance it looked like dog muck. I sent it to Escette with a comment that she should show her Mister so that next time they are out detectoring, if he finds any dog muck he might try it on just to be sure.

Made myself laugh a LOT at work with this. :rofl:

Oh, please yourselves. :dunno:

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1708182890727.jpg
    FB_IMG_1708182890727.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 22
I was on a Roman field on Sunday and everyone was getting lovely finds - except me. I don't know why - ah well, at least I had a lovely 7 hour walk in wellies. Headed back to the car in the gathering dusk and was debating whether to dig a 20th shottie signal when I saw the coin lying on the surface. Goddess Providentia (rod, globe, cornucopia) which is a common reverse for Victorinus (~270 AD). Not complete but welcomed (thanks Mum).

Providentia_071a.jpg
Providentia_762a.jpg

Saw this on Facebook -

At first glance it looked like dog muck. I sent it to Escette with a comment that she should show her Mister so that next time they are out detectoring, if he finds any dog muck he might try it on just to be sure.

Made myself laugh a LOT at work with this. :rofl:

Oh, please yourselves. :dunno:

maxresdefault.jpg

“If you find yourself alone, riding in green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled; for you know you cannot fight - the darkness of the music of the night.”

maximus otter

4,000-year-old copper dagger unearthed by metal detectorist in Poland

A metal detectorist has discovered a 4,000-year-old copper dagger, likely from an elite warrior, in a forest near the village of Korzenica in southeast Poland.

QpcfpZ67gwNEfa5AEvNxKM-1200-80.jpg

"The Korzenica dagger is so far the oldest metal dagger discovered [in] south-eastern Poland," said Marcin Burghardt, an archaeologist at the Orsetti Tenement House Museum in Poland who analyzed the dagger. "The only similar dagger in Poland was uncovered in the [1960s] so the new find comes as a great surprise," Burghardt [said].

A team went to examine the spot where the metal detectorist discovered the dagger but found no other artifacts.

Archaeologists were able to date the dagger by comparing it to similar daggers found in Central Europe and the Ukrainian forest steppe that have been securely dated. Based on the comparisons, "it seems safe to say that the Korzenica dagger was used somewhere in the [second] half of the 3rd millennium BC.”

https://www.livescience.com/archaeo...gger-unearthed-by-metal-detectorist-in-poland

maximus otter

Found a bit of Victorian tut in the mud, pressed copper-alloy adornment of some sort. It's incomplete but you can join up the outer loops if interested in embroidery pattern ideas or making your own jewellery.

BrassA_103.jpg

Another little Roman coin from last week - a 'common' Camp Gate (get you) from Constantine the Great (~325 AD) that came up well with a little rubbing on the Knee of Destiny. Also another crotal bell (late 18th C) and my first sleigh bell, battered but both are ringers.

Hambleden100a.jpg Hambleden200a.jpgKnee of Destiny_902a.jpg Knee of Destiny_916a.jpg

400-year-old battle gear discovered by metal detectorist in Poland: 'Unique find'

A metal detectorist recently discovered 400-year-old military artifactswhile roaming around a field last month.

Patryk Chmielewski, who posts videos under the username Profesor Detektorysta, recorded himself walking through a dirt field in Mikułowice, Poland, in March. When his metal detector suddenly started pinging, he set up his camera and began digging in the soil.

e9152076efc525703967148dd04636f7

Soon enough, Chmielewski uncovered several pieces of metal that were buried 60 centimeters deep. Around a week later, officials from the Ministry of Science and Higher Education announced the discovery.

Archaeologists believe that the armor belonged to the Polish hussars, a cavalry unit in the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth from the early 16th century to the early 18th century.

https://apple.news/ARG7oWPGOR5OzMSPQgRtg8A

maximus otter

Back