Metal Detectoring

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
I run a local archaeology group and spent yesterday sorting through 3 years of finds from a dig on the site of a medieval bishops palace selecting objects to display at our imminent open day. Amazing the fun you can have wading through 600 years of assorted detritus!
Assorted detritus is exactly the kind of thing I want for Xmas. I don't want to steal the thunder from your Open Day but could you give a hint of the sort of items that will be on display ?

eziofan

Devoted Cultist
Assorted detritus is exactly the kind of thing I want for Xmas. I don't want to steal the thunder from your Open Day but could you give a hint of the sort of items that will be on display ?
A lot of medieval pottery, including a fairly rare glazed ceramic roof finial, medieval bricks and stonework (including a possible Norman piece of stonework from an earlier building). Medieval glass (including some glass slag), lead same from the windows. We also have a copious amount of clay pipe, but this will all be from post occupation levels as the palace was derelict from c1600. Coins were scarce but we have a roman coin found in the topsoil and a 1694 William and Mary penny. Neither of which relate to the occupation of the building!

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Guess the Gifte Shoppe and reliquary would have been pilfered after the palace became derelict.

hunck

Antediluvian
Fabulous medieval wedding ring found by detectorist

Thought to date from 1388.

Found by David Board in Thorncombe, Dorset, the item is expected to fetch between £30,000 and £40,000 ($35,500 and $47,300) when it goes on auction later this month.

During an interview with CNN, he said: "There will probably never be another one like it. Back then, each ring was individual and unique, not mass produced like today. It's stunning.”
The ring is in "almost perfect condition," Nigel Mills, a consultant in coins and antiquities at Noonans, said in the release. The jewelery has a golden hoop of two entwined bands to symbolize marital union and an inverted diamond set into it.

Inside the band is a medieval French inscription that reads, "Ieo vos tien foi tenes le moy," translating as, "I hold your faith, hold mine," according to the auction house.

Due to the location of the find and the quality of the ring, Noonans' experts surmised that it's the wedding ring of Joan Brook, given to her by her husband, Thomas Brook.

Their marriage in 1388 brought great wealth to the Brook family, the release said, as Joan was the widow of Robert Cheddar, a wealthy cloth merchant and twice mayor of Bristol -- a city in western England.

It was at a time when medieval notions of chivalry and courtly love were at their zenith, concepts which the ring reflects, Noonans said.

Now known as The Lady Brook Medieval diamond ring, the item will be auctioned on November 29.
1669154565366.png

1669154583832.png

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
I found what looked like a sweet wrapper & picked it up - now I'll make £40k selling it at auction

A METAL detectorist who mistook a medieval diamond ring for a sweet wrapper is set to sell it for £40,000.

David Board was walking back to his car after a fruitless day of searching in a muddy field when he got a signal on his device.

The 69-year-old thought he might get £20 for it, but, after cleaning it at a friend's farmhouse near Thorncombe, Dorset, he clocked it might be worth a bit more.

It was handed in to the Local Finds Officer which informed him that it dated back to the 14th century.

The writing on the inside of the gold band was translated to reveal it was a wedding ring given by Sir Thomas Brook to his wife Lady Joan Brook.

The ring, which is made up of two entwined bands, bears an inscription in Medieval French.

ring-perfect-condition-inverted-diamond-777917402.jpg

It says "ieo vos tien foi tenes le moy" which translates to "as I hold your faith, hold mine".

Auctioneers describe the band as being in "very fine condition" and weighing about 3g (0.1oz).

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/20534502/metal-detectorist-auction-ring/

maximus otter

hunck

Antediluvian
Max once again provides an invaluable contribution in posting the identical story to the one immediately above. Good work.