• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Since I'm not allowed out detecting (Tier 4), I've been investing some time into researching items previously found (and going quietly crazy).
The bible for identifying dug up coins is Spink's Coins of England & the United Kingdom which provides images, basic details and values for items passing through their Auction House. The book is updated every year and is rather expensive, so I got the cheaper 2020 Kindle version which is useful for dipping into on the train. What I didn't realise was the images were life size in the book, very useful in identifying (or eliminating) a coin by sliding it onto an appropriate picture - but not applicable in the variable-sizing Kindle version. So I got a cheap old hardback copy of Spink (2009, only the values change in subsequent editions) and found my beloved Elizabeth three-farthing from September was bigger than the image and there was no image for a three-halfpence. I joined a Metal Detectoring Forum (MDF) and asked for help.
Unequivacol response: I'd found an Elizabeth three-halfpence. Not disappointed. Maybe a bit.

Hammered_0152A.jpg

@Who me - how are you doing mate ?

Since I'm not allowed out detecting (Tier 4), I've been investing some time into researching items previously found (and going quietly crazy).
The bible for identifying dug up coins is Spink's Coins of England & the United Kingdom which provides images, basic details and values for items passing through their Auction House. The book is updated every year and is rather expensive, so I got the cheaper 2020 Kindle version which is useful for dipping into on the train. What I didn't realise was the images were life size in the book, very useful in identifying (or eliminating) a coin by sliding it onto an appropriate picture - but not applicable in the variable-sizing Kindle version. So I got a cheap old hardback copy of Spink (2009, only the values change in subsequent editions) and found my beloved Elizabeth three-farthing from September was bigger than the image and there was no image for a three-halfpence. I joined a Metal Detectoring Forum (MDF) and asked for help.
Unequivacol response: I'd found an Elizabeth three-halfpence. Not disappointed. Maybe a bit.

View attachment 33206

@Who me - how are you doing mate ?
It's a nice chunk of silver - don't be disappointed.

I've always fancied buying one and having a go. But I suppose loads of people have thought the same thing. I would also have no idea where I could and couldn't detect.

Get one bought spudrick you don’t know till you have had a go .
You might find something like badbungles beautiful coin

If you metal detector where I live, you wouldn't find much, but you'd be looking for stone scrapers and arrowheads and such only eyes work for that.
Some of my most interesting finds (eyes only) have come from field walking. May I ask which area/continent you're based ?

I've always fancied buying one and having a go. But I suppose loads of people have thought the same thing. I would also have no idea where I could and couldn't detect.
You start in your garden (I don't have one), then progress to your neighbour's garden or land owned by a friendly farmer or maybe a nearby beach. Easiest way would be to join a club (or go with a member as a guest) as they have 'permissions' to dig - every bit of land is owned by some-one. Unfortunately now is the very worst time to enrol in a club as we're simply not allowed out on the fields. Maybe later.

You bet! I'm here in Portland, Oregon, USA.
Soooo not much small-change dropped by the indigenous populations ? But there are plenty of detecting clips on YouTube for Oregon (even Portland'). I'd be out detecting anywhere if I could, even if just for the exercise.

Soooo not much small-change dropped by the indigenous populations ? But there are plenty of detecting clips on YouTube for Oregon (even Portland'). I'd be out detecting anywhere if I could, even if just for the exercise.
That's true! I was thinking ancient metal stuff but if one is looking for rings and things, Portland would be a very good place --lots of parks.

Beautiful. Woods are totally crap for detecting and you've got some big pussy-cats out there.

One of my favourite pastimes is watching the Chigg on YouTube.

https://youtube.com/user/aquachigger

an expert detectorist, he also does river searching, caving and exploring.

They are especially good to watch after a stressful day as Chigg’s voice is very relaxing.

Beautiful. Woods are totally crap for detecting and you've got some big pussy-cats out there.
There are mountain lions around --a few places I went out to plein air paint in the city of Eugene had signs with warnings about them. Dangerous.

My neighbors got their kid a metal detector for xmas and he was walking around the yard with it. I suspect they have a dual purpose for buying it as not long ago they asked me about the location of the property line so they could put an inground pool in their small yard that butts up against my yard. He might be out there looking for the survey pins.

A treasure hunter who claimed to have dug up 14,154 Roman coins in a Belgian field has been accused of being one of the greatest archaeological looters in European history.

French detectorist accused of looting on vast scale after haul discovered at home | Archaeology | The Guardian
Just read your post from way backabout you wanting to fry a hang glider, those things along with parashooting have always concerned me, firstly, why would anyone willingly jump out of a perfectly servicable aeroplane! and the old addage 'if at first you dont succeed try try and try again simply isnt an option i would want to consider

Just read your post from way backabout you wanting to fry a hang glider, those things along with parashooting have always concerned me, firstly, why would anyone willingly jump out of a perfectly servicable aeroplane! and the old addage 'if at first you dont succeed try try and try again simply isnt an option i would want to consider
My Mum felt the same way which was why I never took it up.

My Mum felt the same way which was why I never took it up.

Well...I had a fear of heights, so they reckon confront your fears.

And I discovered that the trick is not to think too much about what you're doing.

:omg:

What a ridiculously incredible find! No wonder he is smiling.
This is even cooler than when the Mrs found 'The Cromer Jesus Stone' on Cromer beach after I'd said a few months before "You know what would be really cool? .. if I found a stone that looked like it had Jesus on it like that slice of toast and stuff you read about in the papers!" .. then she went and f*****g found one and it got in the papers. The only downside (apart from Fortean Times magazine completely ignoring it) is ...... where is this bloke going to go from now that he's found that? .. what are the odds of him ever finding anything that good again? .. bummer.

Last edited:
Back