• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Hi bungle same here with my permissions been driving about met up with a couple of the farmers/workers just to show my face and remind them who I am.first time I’ve felt like doing anything to be honest been a s**t couple of weeks

G'day W.M. - things do come good...which is no consolation at the moment for you. Anyway. We have this saying down here (Lat.32 S.), that life is seen as a shit sandwich, and that some days we eat more bread than the other.

She'll come good mate...

Great groats.

A collection of antique coins which date back almost 600 years has been donated to a County Armagh library due to their unusual link to the area.

The silver groats were minted in the 15th Century, during the reign of Henry VI which began in 1422. They were found by a metal detectorist just over a decade ago in woodland near Tynan in County Armagh. The coins were subsequently bought by a private collector, who has now donated them to the Armagh Robinson Library.

Although Henry VI groats are not particularly rare, it is the location and condition they were found in that makes them historically significant, according to currency expert Nic Wright.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-57550749

A mystery object unearthed by a detectorist in Norfolk maybe part of a sword.

"A mystery object found by a metal detector in Norfolk could be linked to a sword, an expert has said.

The gilded silver early Anglo-Saxon object was found in Field Dalling in Norfolk last September and declared to be treasure this week.

Norfolk finds liaison officer, Dr Helen Geake, said it looked "a bit like a sword-ring" but was not really like any others found so far.

"It's a bit of a mystery, but is probably related to swords," she said."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-57681725

I unearthed buried treasure at the weekend... my Dad's old metal detector!
I wonder if it still works.

A Viking era 'piggybank' has been found on the Isle of Man.

"A Viking era "piggybank" of silver coins has been discovered on the Isle of Man by a metal detectorist who made another startling discovery last year.

The 1,000-year-old pieces were found by former police officer Kath Giles in a field in the north of the island.

Details of the 87 coins, which were found in April, were made public for the first time at a coroner's hearing.

The coins were minted in England, Dublin, Germany and the Isle of Man."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-57841507

A rare gold coin found by a detectorist in 2020 is expected to fetch up to £200,000 when it goes to auction.

"A "unique" Anglo-Saxon coin found in a field in south Wiltshire is expected to fetch up to £200,000 at auction.

The Gold Penny, or Mancus of 30 Pence, was unearthed by a metal detectorist in a field near West Dean in March 2020.

Weighing 4.82g, it was struck between 802 and 839 during the reign of Ecgberht, King of the West Saxons.

Thought to be the only late Anglo-Saxon gold coin in private hands, it is expected to fetch between £150,000 and £200,000 at auction on 8 September.

Auctioneer Peter Preston-Morley, from London-based Dix Noonan Webb, said it was "very exciting" to see the coin."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-wiltshire-58028670

I finally got out on Sunday to the site where it all began - my first dig with the Club in 2017 near Dinton Castle (local folly). So local that door-to-field took under three and a half minutes (2 miles) - I was out of practice and out of puff - it rained, it shone, it all got a bit muddy.
Found a few buttons, a buckle, my first spindle-whorl (yay) a lot of modern lead and a brooch with a broken pin.

Dinton_0403.jpg

It's a nice brooch, here's a closer look. And of a previous Anglo Saxon burial excavation in the adjacent field.
I'm sending photos to the Bucks FLO but fingers crossed - could be 450-550 AD. Could be cursed I tell you !

Brooch_0403.jpg Dinton Excavation02.jpg

I finally got out on Sunday to the site where it all began - my first dig with the Club in 2017 near Dinton Castle (local folly). So local that door-to-field took under three and a half minutes (2 miles) - I was out of practice and out of puff - it rained, it shone, it all got a bit muddy.
Found a few buttons, a buckle, my first spindle-whorl (yay) a lot of modern lead and a brooch with a broken pin.

View attachment 43024

It's a nice brooch, here's a closer look. And of a previous Anglo Saxon burial excavation in the adjacent field.
I'm sending photos to the Bucks FLO but fingers crossed - could be 450-550 AD. Could be cursed I tell you !

View attachment 43025 View attachment 43029
That looks like a good find!
Bronze?

The verdigris corrosion suggests copper, the pin holder on the back shows rust so the pin was probably iron - which is consistent for common Saxon disc brooches (says he who thought it was a big button).

Brooch_04a.jpg

look for the other one!!!!!!
May I take this opportunity to assure anyone without an Archeological or Responsible Detectoring background (or Frides sense of humour) that I only assumed the one brooch (probably fell into a furrow when the pin broke) - not a pair of brooches as that would strongly imply I was grave digging.

Must admit I was taken aback this morning by my Detecting Club direction markers planted outside the Natural Burial Meadow at Owlswick, Bucks. Our fields were on the other side of the road though - 50 acres of stubble, my feet are killing me (fasciitis) and I haven't stopped sneezing and leaking since lunch-time. Only find was a small hammered coin 'sunbathing' ie on the surface, half covered by barley chaff - still counts. So, my second ever silver hammered: Henry VI leaf-pellet London mint halfpenny 1445-54. Top pocket Bobby Dazzle Templar 'inge etc

Sunbather_0419B.jpgSunbather_0420B.jpg

Tell me when this gets boring.

Haven’t got out yet and getting fed up waiting for a club outing so will get out there by myself.
My Club only started outings properly last week as harvesting is finally taking place and we're allowed on the fields. There is sometimes a Thursday dig and twice I very nearly took a day off work to go - but the digs were in Hampshire, which would have been a 3 hour 160 mile round trip, in the rain. And it didn't occur to me 'til yesterday that the lockdown has lifted, everyone is going back to work (by car) and the A34 morning rush-hour would have been a nightmare (add a couple of hours to the trip). So Who me, if you can get out there without the club, then do it (but pace yourself, I'd forgotten what 4 hours swinging over stubble in wellies does to arms and legs)

Hi bungle yeah it does start to get a bit heavy and repetitive after a while.
But the rewards are worth it good hunting my friend.
PS I’m in North Yorkshire so it’s pretty good for finds

I sent the pictures of the brooch I found at Dinton (#215) off to the County Finds Liaison Officer (FLO), with the small dread all novices experience that the Experts reply would be to stop wasting everyone's time. The actual reply was "Thank you so much for your email, that looks to be a lovely Anglo Saxon brooch and I’d definitely like to record it". And breathe out. Just have to work out how to get the brooch to the FLO as he's working mainly at home, I'm working full time in London and neither of us trust the Post.
Next item (hopefully) of interest was a small lead token I found in a field at Ivinghoe, Bucks - near the Beacon and close to where I was born. Getting off my arse to do the research (aka moving slightly in my chair to access the internet) eventually lead to a match for a Powell type 4 'lis' token - I assume the 'lis' referred to a stylised 'fleur de lis'. Lead tokens are not uncommon (have been around since the Romans) and were used in gaming or as a ticket or tally - post-Medieval (which is when initials started appearing on the back), they were sometimes used as a substitute for low denominational coins, especially in Agriculture. So around a long time, which can make them so difficult to date - unless of course you conveniently find one with a date (1711) on it.

Seal_0438.jpgSeal_0437.jpg

I sent the pictures of the brooch I found at Dinton (#215) off to the County Finds Liaison Officer (FLO), with the small dread all novices experience that the Experts reply would be to stop wasting everyone's time. The actual reply was "Thank you so much for your email, that looks to be a lovely Anglo Saxon brooch and I’d definitely like to record it". And breathe out. Just have to work out how to get the brooch to the FLO as he's working mainly at home, I'm working full time in London and neither of us trust the Post.
Next item (hopefully) of interest was a small lead token I found in a field at Ivinghoe, Bucks - near the Beacon and close to where I was born. Getting off my arse to do the research (aka moving slightly in my chair to access the internet) eventually lead to a match for a Powell type 4 'lis' token - I assume the 'lis' referred to a stylised 'fleur de lis'. Lead tokens are not uncommon (have been around since the Romans) and were used in gaming or as a ticket or tally - post-Medieval (which is when initials started appearing on the back), they were sometimes used as a substitute for low denominational coins, especially in Agriculture. So around a long time, which can make them so difficult to date - unless of course you conveniently find one with a date (1711) on it.

View attachment 44097View attachment 44098
Is that a 1711 date on it?

A detectorist on the Isle of Man struck lucky with a second viking find within 4 months.

"Discovering two hoards of Viking silver within four months of each other on the Isle of Man was an "incredible feeling", a metal detectorist has said.

Kath Giles found a collection of coins in April, after discovering several significant pieces of jewellery in December.

Ms Giles said she felt "disbelief" when unearthing the second find and said she had been "really lucky".

Both were declared treasure at Douglas Courthouse earlier this year."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-58363656

A good morning to you, I hope your luck changes soon, there are treasures yet to be discovered :)

Must admit I was taken aback this morning by my Detecting Club direction markers planted outside the Natural Burial Meadow at Owlswick, Bucks. Our fields were on the other side of the road though - 50 acres of stubble, my feet are killing me (fasciitis) and I haven't stopped sneezing and leaking since lunch-time. Only find was a small hammered coin 'sunbathing' ie on the surface, half covered by barley chaff - still counts. So, my second ever silver hammered: Henry VI leaf-pellet London mint halfpenny 1445-54. Top pocket Bobby Dazzle Templar 'inge etc

View attachment 43249View attachment 43250

Tell me when this gets boring.
What is the background the coins are on?

Back