Meteors & Meteoric Fireballs (Observed Aloft)

dream_decoder

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Mystery lights appear in sky over Lancs., falling in different directions

A man was baffled when he captured bright lights with flaming tails hurtling towards Earth from the sky.

0_3.jpg

Video taken by St Helens resident Aiden Macartain captures what appears to be meteorites falling in different directions above him in the dawn sky on Saturday morning.

In the 30-second long clip, it shows three separate bright lights descending from the sky in east and west directions.

When he tilts the camera upwards, it reveals a bright fireball-like object falling through the sky and leaves a long flaming trail.

Aiden, 43, told the Liverpool Echo that he was driving down Liverpool Road at around 6:30am [on 27.2.21] [when he saw] the lights.

He added: "I initially thought it was an aircraft but I saw five or six of them in different places and descending at different points."

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/brit-stunned-mystery-bright-lights-23585976

maximus otter

Last edited by a moderator:

eburacum

Papo-furado
Reaction score
More contrails. You don't get five or six meteors descending at different points in different directions.
The fact that most of these contrail movies happen at dusk is an important point.

DrPaulLee

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The BBC "One Show" had a brief item on this just now, mentioning the 1974 Welsh lights/plane crash/meteor featuring an interview with Andy Roberts made last July

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
A bowling ball sized meteor exploded with enough force to cause a loud boom over a wide area yesterday.
Meteor explodes over Vermont with the force of 440 pounds of TNT

A meteor streaked through the night sky over Vermont on Sunday (March 7), creating a spectacular light show and causing Earth-shaking booms as it burned through the atmosphere.

The meteor's explosive passage through the atmosphere released the equivalent of 440 pounds (200 kilograms) of TNT, suggesting that the meteor was likely 10 pounds (4.5 kg) and 6 inches (15 centimeters) in diameter ...

The space rock smacked into the atmosphere at about 42,000 mph (68,000 kph) ... It appeared over the northern part of the state as a bright fireball at 5:38 p.m. EST, just before sunset. ...

Local news station WCAX3 reported calls from all over the state after the event, with Vermonters describing a "loud boom and body-rattling vibration" as the meteor passed overhead. ...

"I was fortunate to hear and see it by the Missisquoi River at the Missisquoi Wildlife Refuge in Swanton, VT, just before sunset," wrote Chris Hrotic, a commenter on NASA's initial post about the event. "No loud boom as reported by others, but a rushing sound that made me look up at just the right moment. It was extremely bright and absolutely spectacular!" ...

In comments on NASA's initial Facebook post about the incident, people claimed to have seen the rock from as far west as Saratoga, New York, as far north as Quebec, and as far east as Watertown, Massachusetts. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/vermont-meteor-explodes.html

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Could have been spacecraft debris.

PORTLAND, Ore. — People in the Pacific Northwest were stunned, thrilled and maybe a little frightened Thursday night as they witnessed what appeared to be a large meteor breaking up in the sky.

Reports from people seeing the object came in from everywhere in the Northwest and at least as far north as Seattle. Many people reported seeing it around 9 p.m.

(Check out some of the many videos submitted by KATU viewers further down in this story)

What precisely the object, or objects, was has not been confirmed, but the National Weather Service in Seattle said it may have been debris from a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket that did not have a successful "deorbit burn."

https://katu.com/news/local/fireballmeteor-blazes-over-oregon-skies

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
... People in the Pacific Northwest were stunned, thrilled and maybe a little frightened Thursday night as they witnessed what appeared to be a large meteor breaking up in the sky. ...
What precisely the object, or objects, was has not been confirmed, but the National Weather Service in Seattle said it may have been debris from a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket that did not have a successful "deorbit burn."
Update ... Physical evidence confirmed it was SpaceX debris.
Piece of SpaceX rocket debris lands at Washington state farm

A piece of burning rocket debris seen streaking across the Pacific Northwest sky last week crashed on a farm in eastern Washington state, authorities said.

After the March 25 event, a farmer discovered a nearly intact piece of rocket in a private field, The Tri-City Herald reported.

The approximately 5-foot (1.5-meter) composite-overwrapped pressure vessel used for storing helium left a nearly 4-inch (10.16-centimeter) dent in the ground, Grant County sheriff’s spokesman Kyle Foreman said. No one was hurt, he said. ...

The farmer, who authorities said didn’t want to be identified, suspected the debris may have come from the rocket and left a message with the sheriff’s office over the weekend, Foreman said. Deputies responded Monday and contacted SpaceX officials. SpaceX confirmed it was part of the rocket and has since retrieved it ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/science-spacex-washington-4cba3ceba4570b13c54491e26b4ee6b7

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
This fireball was witnessed and recorded by multiple people in Florida. Multiple videos are included at the link below, as well as a NOAA satellite photo illustrating how far off the coast it was flying.
Fireball meteor burns up over South Florida

A sparkling fireball zoomed across the sky near West Palm Beach, Florida on Monday night (April 13), and local news teams and home security systems caught footage of its dramatic descent. ...

The meteor was spotted at about 10 p.m. EDT, when it tumbled from the sky and disintegrated in a sudden flash of light, NPR reported.

Soon after, Jay O'Brien, a reporter for CBS News in West Palm Beach, tweeted a video of the fireball exploding in midair. His colleague Zach Covey, a meteorologist for CBS, responded saying that the fireball was likely a "chunk of an asteroid known as 2021 GW4," a space rock that was due to pass by Earth that night. ...

The asteroid, estimated to be about 14 feet (4 meters) across, passed the planet about 16,300 miles (26,200 kilometers) away, according to Space.com. The asteroid will now make a two-year loop around the sun, eventually swinging back around to Earth; however, NASA predicts that it won't come nearly as close as it did on April 12 for at least another century.

Although 2021 GW4 made a relatively close pass by the planet, Jonathan McDowell, an astronomer at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, disagreed with Covey's theory, tweeting that "It's a normal fireball and nothing to do with GW4." ...
FULL STORY (With Videos): https://www.livescience.com/fireball-florida-video.html