• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Meteors & Meteoric Fireballs (Observed Aloft)

The Mail is almost certainly wrong in saying that the green colour is caused by copper- copper is quite rare in meteors, but the green colour is quite common. In fact the green is probably caused by excited atmospheric oxygen.

eburacum said:
The Mail is almost certainly wrong in saying that the green colour is caused by copper- copper is quite rare in meteors, but the green colour is quite common. In fact the green is probably caused by excited atmospheric oxygen.
Unless, it's a piece of falling space junk, re-entering the Earth's atmosphere.

Meteor witnessed across Britain

Police forces say they have received a number of calls reporting what is believed to have been a meteor.
Reports of a "bright light" and an "orange glow" came in across the north of England and Scotland at about 21:40 GMT amid fears a plane had crashed.
The Met Office tweeted: "Hi All, for anyone seeing something in the night sky, we believe it was a meteorite."

Durham Police said air traffic control had confirmed there had not been any incidents of aircraft in difficulties.
A force spokeswoman said: "The sightings are believed to be either an asteroid burning out or similar which has been restricted to the upper atmosphere only."

Meteors are particles from space that burn up as they plummet through Earth's atmosphere, sometimes emitting light, creating a "fireball" effect.
Meteorites are larger, more durable objects that survive heating in the atmosphere and land on Earth. It is not known if that happened on Saturday.

Professor David Whitehouse, an astronomer, said: "Occasionally you get a very big piece of debris coming into the Earth's atmosphere and this causes a fireball.
"When you see this fireball breaking up, you're seeing the wreckage of a planet that couldn't form properly when the solar system was young and a bit of rock that has been orbiting the Sun for perhaps thousands of millions of years."

Adrian West, of Meteorwatch, said he had seen reports of sightings from Scotland to Devon.
He said he saw the meteor in Berkshire and believed it could have gone down in the English Channel or the Bay of Biscay.

Adam Hepworth, from Helensburgh, in Argyll, told the BBC: "I was leaving work and getting into my car and I noticed a really bright light moving slowly across the sky.
"At first I thought it was a sky lantern but then I realised it couldn't have been due to the speed that it was moving. I then thought perhaps it is a plane that had caught fire.
"I knew it was really odd and sat there for a few minutes just staring at it."

Grampian Police said many people had reported seeing a "flare or a bright object with a tail", while Dumfries and Galloway Constabulary said it had received reports of a "large ball of fire in the sky".
Strathclyde Police said it had been "inundated" with calls, while Lothian and Borders Police also reported taking calls.

Hundreds of people tweeted about what they had seen and the Kielder Observatory, in Northumberland, said a "huge fireball" had been seen travelling from north to south over the county.
The Observatory posted on Twitter: "Of 30 years observing the sky #fireball best thing I have ever seen period."

Laura Yusuf, of Mitcham, in Surrey, said she saw the meteor while travelling on the M6.
"It was an amazing sight. Bright orange flames trailing behind it as it slowly burnt itself out," she told the BBC.

Another witness, who called BBC Radio 5 live's Stephen Nolan programme, said: "I looked up and saw these two huge tails of light coming off it and I thought it was a plane on fire going down into Edinburgh.
"It was massive, there was the red at the back of it, then these two huge white tails and then these blue bits at the very end."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-17248959

Some meteor lore I've stumbled across.

The green color is often thought to indicate copper, however, it's actually an oxygen reaction.

Meteorites that reach the surface are not red hot, vast time spent in space has cold- sinked them so that only the very outer surface gets hot

Space junk often has a high copper content(wiring), and if the Kecksberg object was indeed a Soviet satellite, that might explain the green color. I saw that one, and it was indeed green, with bits detaching along the way, obviously breaking up. That does not make it artificial, natural objects break up,too.

The recent sonic boom and fall of stones is a classic Fortean event....Jefferson once said, "Stones do not fall from the sky, because there are no stones in the sky!"

Sorry, Mr. Jefferson!

Nasa camera captures 'fire-ball' over Texas
[video]
8 December 2012 Last updated at 18:35

Video footage of a "fire-ball" flashing in the sky over Texas has been captured by a Nasa camera.
The camera picked up the flash from Nasa's Meteoroid Environment Office in New Mexico. It was reported to have been seen from as far away as Houston and Louisiana.

Nasa believes that a meteor entered earth's atmosphere somewhere between Dallas and Houston. It has tracked fragments of it which fell to Earth north of Houston.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20654335

Large meteor spotted in night sky in England and Wales

A meteor has been spotted travelling across the night sky by people in many parts of England and Wales.
Sightings of the celestial body were reported on Twitter in areas such as Cornwall, Hampshire, Lancashire, south Wales and Worcestershire.
Suzy Buttress, of Basingstoke, described witnessing the meteor as a "once in a lifetime thing".

Space scientist Dr Maggie Aderin-Pocock said the phenomenon was likely to have been debris from Halley's Comet.

Ms Buttress, who was driving home on the M3 when she saw the meteor, told the BBC: "It was amazing, so big, bigger than a shooting star. It had a strange greenish tinge to it, with a definite tail behind it.
"This was definitely a ball with a tail. It took its time going across the sky. It went behind a cloud, then came out the other end.
"At first I hoped it wasn't an aircraft crashing. It's a once in a lifetime thing."

Richard Escott, a security supervisor for the BBC in Cardiff, explained what he saw.
"I was standing outside having a bit of fresh air and as I turned round I saw this very bright blue light which was dimming," he said.
"It was coming very steadily, progressing across the night sky, but it was at sort of building level and then died out to nothing. I saw it for about five, 10 seconds."

Dr Aderin-Pocock explained what could have caused the spectacle.
"Unfortunately I didn't see this meteor myself, but I think what's unusual is the size of this one. With meteor showers people will see a number of meteors over an hour, so let's say six or 10 an hour.
"It seems that this one was particularly large and particularly bright, which is why it's caught so much attention.
"It's quite likely to be part of the Eta Aquarids, which is the debris left by Halley's Comet.

"And twice a year we pass through the debris left behind by the comet and when this happens we see more of these shooting stars but there must have been a large lump left behind which is what caused such a bright meteor to be seen."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22460642

Bright explosion on moon visible from Earth, NASA says

An explosion on the moon was caused by a meteor hitting the surface and was visible on Earth to the naked eye.

The explosion was caused by a meteoroid that hit the lunar surface
It was visible on Earth without a telescope

NASA sees hundreds of lunar meteoroid impacts on the moon each year
The meteoroid was traveling 56,000 mph when it banged into the moon
(CNN) -- A meteoroid struck the surface of the moon recently, causing an explosion that was visible on Earth without the aid of a telescope, NASA reported Friday. But don't be alarmed if you didn't see it; it only lasted about a second.

"It exploded in a flash nearly 10 times as bright as anything we've ever seen before," said Bill Cooke, of NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office.

NASA astronomers have been monitoring the moon for the past eight years, looking for explosions caused by meteoroids hitting the lunar surface. It's part of a program to find new fields of space debris that could hit Earth.

NASA says it sees hundreds of detectable lunar meteoroid impacts a year.

None however can match the size of the explosion they say they saw March 17. NASA says the meteoroid was about 40 kilograms and less than a meter wide, and it hit the moon's surface at 56,000 mph. It glowed like a 4th magnitude star, NASA says, thanks to an explosion equivalent to 5 tons of TNT.

"It jumped right out at me, it was so bright," said Ron Suggs of the Marshall Space Flight Center.

Cooke says Earth was pelted by meteoroids at about the same time, but they hit the moon because it has no atmosphere to protect it.

"We'll be keeping an eye out for signs of a repeat performance next year when the Earth-moon system passes through the same region of space," Cooke said.

If you're wondering how there can be an explosion on the moon, without oxygen, NASA has the answer for you. It says the flash of light comes not from any type of combustion -- as we typically think of explosions -- but rather by the glowing molten rock at the impact site.

SOURCE: http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/18/tech/moon ... ?hpt=hp_c3

Here's a theory I've not heard before:

Does gold come from outer space?
By William Kremer, BBC World Service

The idea that gold came from outer space sounds like science fiction, but it has become well-established - it's pretty much received opinion in the field of earth sciences. How did this bizarre theory take hold, and is it here to stay?

For the chieftains of pre-Columbian America, the dazzling yellow stuff they found glinting at the bottom of streams or buried in the rocky ground captured the power of the sun god. They dressed themselves in battle armour wrought from the enchanted metal, believing it would protect them.
They were sadly deceived.

Gold, an unusually soft metal, wasn't any match for the steel of the Spanish. But the Native Americans may well have been right in believing the element was otherworldly.

"Why do you find nuggets of gold on the surface of the Earth?" asks science writer John Emsley. "The answer to that, is that they've arrived here from space in the form of meteorites."

This theory has come in the last few decades to be held by the majority of scientists as a way of explaining gold's abundance. There may only be 1.3 grams of gold per 1,000 tonnes of other material in the Earth's crust (the rocky shell of the planet that is around 25 miles thick) but that's still too much to fit with the standard models of our planet's formation.

After its birth four-and-a-half billion years ago, the surface of the Earth heaved with volcanoes and molten rock. Then, over tens of millions of years, most of the iron sank down through the outer layer, known as the mantle, to the Earth's core. Gold would have mixed with the iron and sunk with it. Matthias Willbold, a geologist at Imperial College London, likens the process to droplets of vinegar collecting at the bottom of a dish of olive oil.
"All the gold should be gone," he says

It isn't though. So science has had to come up with an explanation, and the answer currently favoured is - a meteoric shower.

"The theory is that after the core formed there was a meteoric shower that struck the Earth," says Willbold. "These meteorites contained a certain amount of gold and that replenished the Earth's mantle and the continental crust with gold."

Willbold says the theory fits with the pattern of meteorite activity as scientists understand it, climaxing with a huge storm that took place more than 3.8 billion years ago, referred to as the "terminal bombardment". The meteorites punched out the craters we see on the moon and came from an asteroid belt that still exists between Earth and Mars.

This idea of the gold-laden-meteorite "veneer" was first proposed following the Apollo moon landings of the 1970s. Scientists examining rock samples from the moon's mantle found much less iridium and gold than they did in samples from the surface of the moon or from the earth's crust and mantle. It was proposed that the moon and Earth had been battered by iridium-rich meteorites, known as chondrites, from outer space. While the precious fallout from this meteoric shower lay scattered on the surface of the moon, on Earth the planet's internal activity had churned it into the mantle too.
The idea, called the "late veneer hypothesis", has become a fundamental theory in planetary science

It also helps to explain many other anomalies in the Earth's composition - it is thought that the same meteorites delivered the carbon, nitrogen, water and the amino acids that are vital to all life on the planet.
"They are basically the building blocks of Earth," says Willbold.

Two years ago, he and a team from the universities of Bristol and Oxford examined some rocks from Greenland which had their origins in a part of the Earth's mantle that was insulated from meteorite activity for a crucial period some 600 million years. The team did not look at the gold content of the 4.4-billion-year-old rocks, but at tungsten. Tungsten has some similarities to gold but exists in different forms or isotopes, and this provides scientists with more historical information.

"The tungsten-isotopic composition of these rocks was basically really different from the tungsten-isotopic composition of other rocks," says Willbold.
He infers that the Greenland rocks are a remnant of Earth's composition prior to the start of the late veneer meteorite shower, postulated to have taken place between 4.4 and 3.8 billion years ago.

Willbold's influential study, published in Nature in September 2011, provides the most compelling evidence yet for the late veneer hypothesis. This hypothesis seems the best explanation for the unusual tungsten-isotopic profile of Willbold's Greenland rocks, just as it seemed to explain the different quantities of gold and iridium in the mantles of the Earth and the Moon in the 1970s.

But the hypothesis has been challenged.
Last year, Mathieu Touboul and a team from the University of Maryland examined some different rocks, this time from Russia and significantly younger than those in the Greenland study - a mere 2.8 billion years old.

These younger rocks had their full complement of elements known as siderophiles - the iron-loving group of metals that includes gold - but in terms of tungsten isotopes, the rocks turned out to be very similar to Willbold's. And yet they date from after the time proposed for the late veneer bombardment.

"We reach a different conclusion about what is generating these tungsten anomalies inside the rocks," says Touboul. He thinks differences in the Earth's mantle might have caused tungsten isotopes to develop in different ways.
Touboul though still believes the late veneer hypothesis is right - he just doesn't think that tungsten isotope measurements provide a demonstration of it.

Other scientists think it's time for a major rethink.
"I used to accept the late veneer hypothesis back when we had so little data that it seemed to be a sensible interpretation, but I think it's past its prime now," says Munir Humayun of Florida State University
"It seemed so elegant, but there were so many gaps in the data. We presumed a lot and knew very little back then."

Humayun says the original 1970s studies on moon and Earth rocks produced imprecise results, at variance with more sophisticated follow-up studies from the 1990s.

One of these studies, from the University of Maryland, found less resemblance than expected between the Earth's rocks and chondrites - the iridium-rich meteorites. "This is where the late veneer failed in my opinion," says Humayun. "The answer came back that none of the known meteorite types were anything like the veneer."

Scientists also began to find metals like gold much deeper in the Earth's mantle than they had anticipated. This could be explicable if the Earth underwent a much bigger meteoric barrage than originally supposed, and at an earlier point in time. But the way Humayun sees it, the late veneer hypothesis stopped answering old questions - and started posing new ones.

He is one of a small group of scientists who subscribe to an alternative theory. Their proposition is that all the gold in the Earth's crust - or the overwhelming majority of it - was here on Earth all along. Most of it certainly alloyed with iron and migrated to the Earth's core, but a significant proportion - perhaps 0.2% - dissolved into a 700km deep magma "ocean" within the Earth's outer mantle.
Later, the gold was brought back up to the crust by volcanic action. This is the stuff we wear round our necks and on our fingers today.

This theory requires gold and other siderophile elements to be more soluble than has previously been thought, otherwise insufficient quantities would have dissolved in the magma.
Experiments by two scientists at Nasa - Kevin Righter and Lisa Danielson - indicate that gold's solubility in mantle rocks does increase with high pressures and temperatures.

However, it has not yet been possible to measure in a lab the solubility of all the highly siderophile elements over the full range of temperatures and pressures of the Earth's mantle, so for now this proposed explanation for the abundance of gold also remains no more than a hypothesis. But it is attracting interest and was bashed against the late veneer theory at length in a session last month at geochemistry's annual international symposium - the Goldschmidt Conference in Florence.

Matthias Willbold, who attended the session, says the consensus in the room was that the late veneer hypothesis was still the best explanation for the unusual tungsten-isotopic profile of his Greenland rocks.
He adds that, unlike Humayun, most scientists believe that chondritic meteorites are a "match" for concentrations of metals in the Earth's mantle and crust. But he says he accepts that the case for the late veneer hypothesis is not exactly sewn-up.

"You can never be absolutely sure," he says. "But the beauty of our model at the moment is that all the numbers match up very well." His isotope measurements indicate that about 0.5% of the Earth's mantle mass fell in the form of meteorites (that's 20 billion billion tonnes, if you were wondering). This figure matches geologists' current best guess, based on the overall concentrations of precious metals in the Earth's mantle and crust. Willbold describes this match as a "smoking gun".

But Humayun says that the extent to which geochemists believe it depends on their precise field of study.

Analytical geochemists - the group of researchers that measures trace elements in rocks - have come to see their research as crucial to understanding the emergence of life on Earth. Humayun says that experimental geochemists - the group of scientists attempting to recreate the conditions of the mantle in the lab - are more open-minded.

"It's about how you make your money! If you're an experimentalist, then you're eating the late veneer guys' lunch by doing these experiments.
"Why the analytical community likes the idea (of a late veneer) so much is something that continues to trouble me. It's because of this relevance they have tied in to the origin of life. There's a lot riding on it!"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22904141

Pics, side-bars and diagrams on page.

This 'gold from space' idea makes a lot of sense to me.
I'd go a bit further and say that it might be from the Moon. Meteorite hits moon, molten rock flies off and heads to Earth.
AFAIK, there's a lot of gold on the Moon.

Or...alternatively, it is periodically spat out from the Sun. Perhaps that's how it ended up on the Moon.

The sun's not hot enough to make gold. At the moment it's only making helium. Just as well, when it gets hot enough to fuse stuff higher than hydrogen, it will be very uncomfortable here.

I don't think it will ever make gold, I think it'll peak around nitrogen or oxygen or something.

Anome_ said:
The sun's not hot enough to make gold. At the moment it's only making helium. Just as well, when it gets hot enough to fuse stuff higher than hydrogen, it will be very uncomfortable here.

I don't think it will ever make gold, I think it'll peak around nitrogen or oxygen or something.

27 million degrees not hot enough? :shock:

Mythopoeika said:
Anome_ said:

Most stars go up to iron:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_nucleosynthesis

But for heavier elements you need a supernova:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernova_nucleosynthesis

But I think we can discount the idea of the sun chucking nuggets of gold into space! ;)

rynner2 said:
Mythopoeika said:
Anome_ said:

Most stars go up to iron:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_nucleosynthesis

But for heavier elements you need a supernova:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernova_nucleosynthesis

But I think we can discount the idea of the sun chucking nuggets of gold into space! ;)

Awwww. :(

And as you can see from the Wiki link, when it runs out of Hydrogen, and starts on Helium, it starts the Red Giant stage when the Sun is predicted to spread out past the Earth's orbit.

Fireball filmed soaring across US sky
A fireball has been caught on camera soaring brightly across the sky above Ohio, leading to numerous 911 calls by worried residents.
[Video - not very dramatic]
9:37AM BST 29 Sep 2013

The fireball was recorded on an all-sky Nasa camera in Ohio operated by Bill Cooke of the Meteoroid Environmental Office on Friday 27 September at 23.33 local time.
In the footage, a bright light can be seen making its way across the sky before moving out of sight of the camera.

The American Meteor Society recorded over 400 witness sightings across the mid-west of the fireball which is thought to have been a meteor or debris from space.
There were reports that police from across the mid-west received calls from worried residents about the bright light in the sky.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... S-sky.html

These all-sky NASA cameras are good for spotting fireballs and so on. They would also be good for spotting UFOs, if there were any - but they haven't seen any yet.

Pietro_Mercurios said:
Boxing Day fireball captured by security camera over Iowa, with video.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...eball-streaking-across-sky-in-us-9029226.html
“We're looking at the reports, also,” the [National Weather Service]’s Kurt Kotenberg told the Des Moines Register. “The interesting thing about it is, Venus was visible in the sky just after sunset.”
WTF?! What's 'interesting' about that?

There are videos and reports of a typical meteor/fireball event whizzing across the sky - why mention Venus, which shines brightly but steadily, and looks nothing like a meteor?

Is the guy trying to debunk the meteor, swamp-gas style? Or is he just a moron, totally out of his depth?

Next, the NWS will be telling us that stones don't fall from the sky! :twisted:

'Biggest observed meteorite impact' hits Moon
Rebecca Morelle
By Rebecca Morelle
Science reporter, BBC World Service
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26325934

The impact appeared as a bright white flash on 11 September 2013

Scientists say they have observed a record-breaking impact on the Moon.

Spanish astronomers spotted a meteorite with a mass of about half a tonne crashing into the lunar surface last September.

They say the collision would have generated a flash of light so bright that it would have been visible from Earth.

The event is reported in the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.

"This is the largest, brightest impact we have ever observed on the Moon," said Prof Jose Madiedo, of the University of Huelva in south-western Spain.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

The impact we detected lasted over eight seconds”

Prof Jose Madiedo
University of Huelva
The explosive strike was spotted by the Moon Impacts Detection and Analysis System (Midas) of telescopes in southern Spain on 11 September at 20:07 GMT.

"Usually lunar impacts have a very short duration - just a fraction of a second. But the impact we detected lasted over eight seconds. It was almost as bright as the Pole Star, which makes it the brightest impact event that we have recorded from Earth," said Prof Madiedo.

The researchers say a lump of rock weighing about 400kg (900lb) and travelling at 61,000km/h (38,000mph) slammed into the surface of the Moon.

They believe the dense mass, which had a width of 0.6-1.4m (2-4.6ft), hit with energy equivalent to about 15 tonnes of TNT.

This is about three times more explosive than another lunar impact spotted by Nasa last March. That space rock weighed about 40kg and was about 0.3-0.4m wide.

Scarred Moon

The team believes the impact has left behind a 40m-wide crater.

"That's the estimation we have made according to current impact models. We expect that soon Nasa could observe the crater and confirm our prediction," said Prof Madiedo.

It would be one of many scars on the lunar surface.

Unlike Earth, the Moon has no atmosphere to shield it from meteorite collisions, and its surface shows a record of every strike.

The researchers believe that impacts from rocks of about 1m in diameter could be far more common than was previously thought - both on the Moon and on Earth.

However, most rocks of this size would burn up as they entered the Earth's atmosphere, appearing as a fireball in the sky.

For meteorites to make more of an impact here, they need to be larger.

For example, the asteroid that exploded over Chelyabinsk in Russia on 15 February 2013 was estimated to be about 19m wide.

It hit the atmosphere with energy estimated to be equivalent to 500,000 tonnes of TNT, sending a shockwave twice around the globe. It caused widespread damage and injured more than 1,000 people.

Follow Rebecca on Twitter

According to (what appears to be ...) the original Norwegian story:

http://www.nrk.no/viten/skydiver-nearly ... 1.11646757

... the skydiver and friends began searching for the meteorite soon after the jump in summer 2012. The article states he 'eventually' contacted a natural history museum, which appears to be the first communication extended outside the skydiver's circle(s) of personal contacts. There's no telling how long 'eventually' was in this case ...

My favorite sky stone is the Grand Teton Fireball. In one side of the atmosphere, out the other, see you in another thousand years.

Imagine how unlikely it is for someone with a loaded movie camera to be out in the butt-end of nowhere, just in time to film the event.

Until we had surveillance cameras, nobody knew how often these things came along.

So remember, this is fireball season, watch the skies!

Spectacular fireball from space explodes over Russian city (VIDEO)
http://rt.com/news/meteorite-murmansk-e ... space-588/

A suspected meteorite explosion has been recorded by citizens of the northern Russian city of Murmansk.

Multiple drivers with dashcams out on the streets of the 300,000-people city at 2.10am on Saturday noticed a bright blue trail speed across the night sky, then explode while still in the air.

Most observers identified the object as a meteorite, though officials have neither confirmed it nor said where the fragments are likely to have landed. Others speculated that the object may have been space debris, re-entering the atmosphere.

Emergency services say there were no injuries as a result of the astral event.

While tens of tons of cosmic dust reaches the Earth’s atmosphere each day, the number of meteorites that reach the surface may be about 500 a year, though most are small, and scientists do not have a precise calculation.

The most spectacular meteorite of recent years was over the Urals city of Chelyabinsk last year, when an astral body exploded in the sky with the strength of 40 Hiroshima bombs, temporarily blinding and deafening hundreds of people below.

[video: not very impressive!]

Fireball meteor caught on camera

A green fireball meteor seen over the UK has been captured on camera by an observatory in Devon.
The "bolide" meteor was seen in the West Country, Wales and the West Midlands at 03:04 BST.
The fireball is reported to have been green in colour and bright enough to cast shadows.
It was captured by two special meteor cameras at the Norman Lockyer Observatory at Sidmouth in Devon.

Elsewhere, a West Midlands Police traffic officer saw the fireball while travelling on the M42. It was filmed by the car's on-board CCTV.

An eyewitness in Cardiff described the meteor as "spectacular".

It is reported to have broken into several pieces as it entered the Earth's atmosphere.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-28088901

Back