• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Microchip / RFID Implants: Issues, Concerns & Ramifications

And for disabling RFID

HOWTO turn a disposable camera into an RFID-killer
With a little work, a disposable camera can be turned into a low-cost device for disabling the tracking bugs in many products and ID cards. Radio Frequency ID tags (RFIDs) are tiny bugs that can be embedded in products and ID cards, enabling them to be read at a distance. US passports and London's tube-cards are beginning to incorporate these. Nominally, they can only be read at a few centimeters' distance, but security researchers have demonstrated that they can be read by attackers at 15 or more meters away. With goods, it's hard to tell if you've got an RFID embedded in them and hard to kill them (though you can put them in the microwave and kill them).

Modding a disposable camera's flash to deliver an RFID-killing energy-shock is a pretty cool project if you want a portable way to disinfect your stuff. The London Underground's "Oyster cards" are used as stored-value cards for boarding the tube. They track your movements when you touch in and touch out at the turnstiles. You can avoid the worst of the data-collection if you frequently change Oyster cards, but the Underground has promised to start charging £3 for new cards; however, they promise to replace defective cards for free. With one of these, you could zap your card when it runs out of stored money and trade it for a new one that will have a different serial number and consequently not be associatable with your previous card.

Many times, intrusions into privacy like this are excused on the basis that they offer discounts in exchange for your personal information. This is true with the Oyster card, too: a single ride on the tube costs £3 now if you use a paper ticket, but with an Oyster card the journey is as little as £1.30. The thing is, before they ramped up Oyster card use on January 1, the cost of a paper single was also as little as £1.10 -- in other words, they nearly tripled the cost of an anonymous journey and then told everyone that you got a great discount if you used the privacy-surrendering means.

http://boingboing.net/

And for how to do it

https://events.ccc.de/congress/2005/wiki/RFID-Zapper(EN)

Which may not be work friendly

I've got the office ID under my skin
By Fiona Govan
(Filed: 14/02/2006)

Staff at a US firm have had silicon chips implanted in their arms in what is thought to be the first scheme to see workers electronically tagged for security reasons.

Three workers at Citywatcher.com, which provides surveillance equipment, agreed to have radio frequency identification devices (RFID) inserted under their skin.

The Cincinnati-based company hopes that its new policy will increase security in an area where video surveillance tapes are stored.

Employees used to gain access to the room with an RFID tag that hung from a chain. But under the new regulations only those who have the chip - the size of a grain of rice - injected into their bicep will have access.

Sean Darks, the firm's chief executive officer, said the voluntary programme was being used to test the technology.

He hoped it would become widely used as a way of controlling access to the company vaults, which contain security video footage for the police.

The company has contracts with six cities to provide cameras and internet monitoring of high-crime areas.

"I have one," Mr Darks said of the chips. "I'm not going to ask somebody to do something I wouldn't do myself."
Telegraph

rynner said:
But under the new regulations only those who have the chip - the size of a grain of rice - injected into their bicep will have access.

Which kind of brings us full circle back to page one of this thread with the point:

Instead of now just stealing the RFID tag off your lanyard to gain entry they have to chop your arm off. Technology marches forward :roll:

Heckler20 said:
rynner said:
But under the new regulations only those who have the chip - the size of a grain of rice - injected into their bicep will have access.

Which kind of brings us full circle back to page one of this thread with the point:

Instead of now just stealing the RFID tag off your lanyard to gain entry they have to chop your arm off. Technology marches forward :roll:

Or you could just find what frequency they are using.

Instead of now just stealing the RFID tag off your lanyard to gain entry they have to chop your arm off. Technology marches forward

welcome to Mr B Brother esquire

Back door forcing of implants

hey why get a new law passed when elite company's can force it on docile dimwits unaware of what the fuck is going on.
I LOVE IT
:shock:

Why did'nt I think of that earlier :roll:

techybloke666 said:
hey why get a new law passed when elite company's can force it on docile dimwits unaware of what the fuck is going on.

Ah, once again unabashed misanthropy looms large in the world view of Mr. Techybloke...

Ohio Company Implants Security Chips Into Employees

By ALEC MAGNET - Staff Reporter of the Sun
February 14, 2006

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

The decision of two employees and the chief executive of an Ohio-based video surveillance company to implant into their forearms electronic tags that control access to the secure room that holds their highly confidential video footage has prompted considerable debate over surveillance and civil liberties.

The Financial Times yesterday reported that the company, CityWatcher.com, was the first private company in America known to have implanted such technology in its employees for security purposes. About 70 people in America have the chip, known as a VeriChip, in their arms so that doctors can access their medical records even if they are unconscious, according to a spokesman for the VeriChip Corporation, John Proctor.

The VeriChip, a type of Radio Frequency Identification technology, works essentially as a remote key card that is implanted into a person's body. The chip is about the size of a grain of rice and carries a unique 16-digit code that can be read by radio transmitter. It does not emit a signal on its own.

CityWatcher.com installs surveillance cameras for the government, corporations, and schools. Its clients access the video footage over the Internet. The chips grant access to the room where the video footage is stored, Mr. Darks said.

The chief executive of CityWatcher.com, Sean Darks, said in a telephone interview that his company would never require an employee to have the chip implanted. One staffer carries his on a key chain, he said.

Nevertheless, for some, CityWatcher.com's use of the chip to tag its employees has raised the specter of Big Brother.

http://www.nysun.com/article/27551

Oh they know not what they do :headbutt:

Note the bit that says 'The chief executive of CityWatcher.com, Sean Darks, said in a telephone interview that his company would never require an employee to have the chip implanted. One staffer carries his on a key chain, he said.'....

techybloke666 said:
yeah and we all believe that don't we ?????

Well unless you are suggesting that every single one of these CEOs of these companies are 'in' on this grand plot to chip the world so the NWO can take over I would suggest this is simply a use of a new technology. As you work in IT I'm sure you are aware of the phenomema of CEO techno blindness, where a CEO reads about a new piece of technology and has to have it whether it's any good or of any benefit to the company. Makes them feel good that their company is on the 'cutting edge' makes the sales people of these techno companies very rich and usually ends up in the lap of the IT staff to actually make the durn thing work.

i'm kinda confused by all this, techy. i thought that everything that happened with regards to terrorism etc was already a huge government plot. why would they need to monitor us so closely when they're clearly capable of making a group of young muslims commit suicide taking dozens of others with them? :roll:

Hmmm, being at the cutting edge of technology could well be good for share prices alround. Sod the poor folks who have to implement the half-baked scheme. The only NWO involved is money making - new technology = more money.

Like to see what happens when a chipped member of staff leaves though? Are they going to remove the tag? Disable it? And if you go from job to job could you have a collection of these things? :)

lupinwick said:
Like to see what happens when a chipped member of staff leaves though? Are they going to remove the tag? Disable it? And if you go from job to job could you have a collection of these things? :)

No they just cut your arm off. :D

Hmmm interesting thought. Four jobs and you're out perhaps?

lupinwick said:
Hmmm interesting thought. Four jobs and you're out perhaps?

Five jobs if you're a chap, though personally I'd stay in the last job until retirement. :D

lupinwick wrote:

Like to see what happens when a chipped member of staff leaves though? Are they going to remove the tag? Disable it? And if you go from job to job could you have a collection of these things?

No they just cut your arm off.

gets left in with all your details on it.
It just gets updated with new info
in fact most of the info is stored on your Government database

use it next time you go to the docs or hospital or get on a bus.
sign on, claim your lottery win, collect your royal mailfrom the post office,the list is endless.

first ID cards then subdermal chips

once it takes off it will be accepted lock stock and barrel

But we're just talking about employer-implanted chips here, not OWG stuff. Try and keep things in perspective, hm?

techybloke666 said:
gets left in with all your details on it.
It just gets updated with new info
in fact most of the info is stored on your Government database

use it next time you go to the docs or hospital or get on a bus.
sign on, claim your lottery win, collect your royal mailfrom the post office,the list is endless.

first ID cards then subdermal chips

once it takes off it will be accepted lock stock and barrel

Or you could just wrap your arm in tin foil to match your hat?

Has anybody read "Feer-Sum End-Jinn" by Ian M Banks?

I reckon we'll end up a bit like the characters in that story.

Seeing as the current generation of RFIDs etc. can be disabled very easily, and the means to read them is readily available, I can imagine a number of new crimes

1) Disable somebodies ID
2) Copy the ID (OK it may be encypted but no doubt that'll be easily overcome).
3) Update the ID (instant terrorist)

I think somebody somewhere has to do an awful lot of thinking if this is to go ahead. If the ID is meant to be the means of establishing your identity, how do you prove who you are if its failed in some way? Lets face it, the average life span of most computer based components is meant to be 5 years. Things do last longer but the vagaries of manufacture could mean some batches might only last weeks.

Ah well, in the end it could be fun (in the worst way). Must get my RFID snooper on order :)

Can't remeber that much of Feersum Endjinn - I know it was odd though.

In "Feersum Endjinn" most of the characters were linked up to a virtual world called "the Krypt".

One of the characters - a king - used a crown to read peoples minds through the Krypt, he did not have to have a chip implanted but everybody else did you see - it was the law.

They could go to different levels of "the Krypt", for instance, to do something as simple as read the news while remaining connected to reality, or to do something even more complicated, to go to the deeper levels and have to go as a bird or something...

It was pretty intense / claustraphobic in some of the levels in there as I remember - good descriptive writing.

But we're just talking about employer-implanted chips here, not OWG stuff. Try and keep things in perspective, hm?

Back door acceptance
Technology creep
assumed benefits to society
full accpetance
becomes the Norm

Same chip
Same database
Same shit

works with the ID cards too
and Building management systems

straight forward really

you can't enter your Library without your ID card the door won't even open.
You can't access the airport or train station without your card.

damn cards are easy to forget
what we need is something you can't accidentally leave at home !!!
I know lots of companys in the US are using these implant thingys
Why don't we replace the card system with the implant system

hey guess what
my card costs £90 each time and it wears out
these implants cost $15 and last for ever

makes good sense to move to this type and we can even use them as chip and pin too,
wow yes what a great idea
Think about that all the banking costs that would go too and the banks could help subsidise the Governments roll out plans.
A cashless society. Everybody gains
Boy and wouldnt that help the police !

Hey Mr policeman
are these things trackable ?
Funny you should ask that question young man
Of course they are :shock:
WE can even get the CCTV's to activate in proximity to your chip.
That will make you feel safer will it not.

Wow where do I get chipped
Its cool and New and Hip to be chipped young men and women

But what do I know !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go back and read where I said 'keep things in perspective' ;) After all, we're just discussing the employee chip. Bit unwise to assume from that the whole list of stuff you came up with.

I think you will find that this my thread after all and all that I have mentioned is in line with the threads title.

all just technology creep as far as the IT side is concerned.

for instance

a good use of implants would be to ensure correct drugs are administered to patients in hospital, as this is can go wrong and has lead to people dying.
If you had an implant with your medical records on this problem would be almost impossible.

But you see thats looking at a problem in a procative manner to find a solution using technology.

I could put together mabe 50 excellent uses of implanted RFID technology.
All viable, with a ROI after a few years.

But it is still wrong when the technology could be used so easily for the wrong uses once it has been rolled out on the backs of genuine benefits.

But that is how these things work.

you may not think so Jerry I happen to disagree with you.

techybloke666 said:
a good use of implants would be to ensure correct drugs are administered to patients in hospital, as this is can go wrong and has lead to people dying.
If you had an implant with your medical records on this problem would be almost impossible.

'Almost impossible'. I doubt it. The technology itself won't magically make it so. Once you factor in the human side of things, the situation changes. For example, even if someone has their medical records implanted in a chip, that just makes it easier to access that information, to a certain extent. It wouldn't prevent any possible accidents from things like the incorrect administration of certain drugs, etc.. Even if a hospital was staffed entirely with chip-reading robots, mistakes would still be possible.

I think you too often ascribe technology with powers it doesn't have - as if, once it's in place, it does everything for us. If you're going to be suspicious, it might be more practical to doubt the big claims made by companies such as Verichip about the capabilities of their products.

Latest article from the guardian on my pet hate technology

When it won't need a tyranny to deprive us of our freedom

The creeping extension of implantation technology will eventually break down all the barriers between us and the state

George Monbiot
Tuesday February 21, 2006
The Guardian

It received just a few column inches in a couple of papers, but the story I read last week looks to me like a glimpse of the future. A company in Ohio called City-Watcher has implanted radio transmitters into the arms of two of its workers. The implants ensure that only they can enter the strongroom. Apparently it is "the first known case in which US workers have been tagged electronically as a way of identifying them".

Article continues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The transmitters are tiny (about the size of a grain of rice), cheap (£85 and falling fast), safe and stable. Without being maintained or replaced, they can identify someone for many years. They are injected, with a local anaesthetic, into the upper arm. They require no power source, as they become active only when scanned. There are no technical barriers to their wider deployment.
The company that makes these "radio frequency identification tags", the VeriChip Corporation, says they "combine access control with the location and protection of individuals". The chips can also be implanted in hospital patients, especially children and people who are mentally ill. When doctors want to know who they are and what their medical history is, they simply scan them in. This, apparently, is "an empowering option to affected individuals". For a while, a school in California toyed with the idea of implanting the chips in all its pupils.

A tag such as this has a maximum range of a few metres. But another implantable device emits a signal that allows someone to be found or tracked by satellite. The patent notice says it can be used to locate the victims of kidnapping or people lost in the wilderness. There are, in other words, plenty of legitimate uses for implanted chips. This is why they bother me. A technology whose widespread deployment, if attempted now, would be greeted with horror, will gradually become unremarkable. As this happens, its purpose will begin to creep.

At first the tags will be more widely used for workers with special security clearance. No one will be forced to wear one; no one will object. Then hospitals - and a few in the US are already doing this - will start scanning their unconscious or incoherent patients to see whether they have a tag. Insurance companies might start to demand that vulnerable people are chipped.

The armed forces will discover that they are more useful than dog tags for identifying injured soldiers or for tracking troops who are lost or have been captured by the enemy. Prisons will soon come to the same conclusion. Then sweatshops in developing countries will begin to catch on. Already the overseers seek to control their workers to the second; determining when they clock on, when they visit the toilet, even the number of hand movements they perform. A chip makes all this easier. The workers will not be forced to have them, any more than they are forced to have sex with their bosses; but if they don't accept the conditions, they don't get the job. After that, it surely won't be long before asylum seekers are confronted with a similar choice: you don't have to accept an implant, but if you refuse, you can't stay in the country.

I think it will probably stop there. I don't believe that you or I or most comfortable, mentally competent people will be forced to wear a tag. But itwill become an increasingly acceptable means of tracking and identifying people who could be a danger to themselves, or who could be at risk of sudden illness or disappearance, or who are otherwise hard for companies or governments to control. They will, on the whole, be people whose political voice is muted.

As it is with all such intrusions on our privacy, it won't be easy to put your finger on exactly what's wrong with this technology. It won't really amount to a new form of control, as all the people who accept the implants will already be subject to monitoring or tracking of one kind or another. It will always be voluntary, at least to the extent that anything the state or our employers want us to do is voluntary. But there is something utterly revolting about it. It is another means by which the barriers between ourselves and the state, ourselves and the corporation, ourselves and the machine are broken down. In that tiny capsule we find the paradox of 21st-century capitalism: a political system that celebrates choice, autonomy and individualism above all other virtues demands that choice, autonomy and individualism are perpetually suppressed.

While implanted chips will not lead to the mass scanning of the population, another use of the same technology quite possibly will. At the end of last month, a leaked letter from Andy Burnham, the Home Office minister, revealed that the identity cards for which we will involuntarily volunteer will contain radio frequency identification chips. This will allow the authorities to read the cards with a scanner. I propose that as the technology improves, the police will be able to scan a crowd and (assuming everyone is carrying his voluntary-compulsory ID card) produce a list of whom it contains. I further propose that it will take only a year or two for this to seem reasonable.
Already we have become used to the police filming demonstrations for the same purpose. When they started doing it, about 10 years ago, it caused outrage. It gave us the impression that by protesting we became suspects. But now we don't even notice them: even to the extent of waving and shouting, "Hello, Mum". Like every other intrusion on our privacy, they have become normal.

I also propose that the mass scanning these identification chips will allow will be assisted by another kind of surveillance technology. Last week, campaigners in west Wales obtained a letter sent by the Welsh Development Agency to Ceredigion County Council. It revealed that the agency, with the help of the European Union, is setting up an industrial estate outside Aberystwyth. Its purpose is the "market acceleration" of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs). With the help of companies such as BAE Systems, Rolls-Royce and our new friend Qinetiq, the agency hopes to find the best way of encouraging the "routine operation of UAV systems UK-wide". Ceredigion council's website lists various functions of the UAVs, of which the first is "law enforcement".

So the police won't even have to be there. Someone sitting in a control room could fly a tiny drone (some of them are just a few inches across) equipped with a receiver over the heads of a crowd and, with the help of our new identity cards, determine who's there. It sounds quite mad, just as the idea of biometric identity cards in the UK once did. All these new technologies somehow contrive to seem both wildly implausible and entirely likely.

There will be no dramatic developments. We will not step out of our homes one morning to discover that the state, or our boss, or our insurance company, knows everything about us. But, if the muted response to the ID card is anything to go by, we will gradually submit, in the name of our own protection, to the demands of the machine. And it will not then require a tyrannical new government to deprive us of our freedom. Step by voluntary step, we will have given it up already.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/Co ... 56,00.html

Two employees of a Cincinnati surveillance company recently had identity tags implanted under their skin, raising huge privacy and security concerns.

The company CityWatcher has reportedly become the first American company to use radio frequency identification technology embedded in living humans.

CityWatcher claims that having the RFID chips implanted is not a requirement to remain employed.

But one wonders how seriously that claim can be taken when the chips are required for access to the company’s data center.

In fact, if one’s job requires them to have access to the data center, then this new chip is in fact a requisite for the job.

Forcing employees to have a surgical procedure, however minor, in order to simply start a job sets a dangerous precedent for privacy and civil liberties, not to mention being immoral on its face.

CityWatcher also claims that the chips will only be read when brought within inches of a reader, and for their own uses, this is probably true. They may genuinely have nothing malicious in mind.

RFID chip manufacturer VeriChip, however, claims readability on their product from up to 15 feet away. With readability from such a distance, suddenly it becomes feasible for a company to install RFID readers throughout its entire building so it knows where everybody is at all times.

And if a company can do it, why not a city? Why not a state, or the entire country? Tracking an entire population is no longer in the realm of science fiction.

We need to realize the cows are starting to leave the barn and close the door before it’s too late.

Besides the privacy and freedom concerns, which should be an issue to all of us, are issues of security, which should be an issue to the companies thinking of implementing such draconian measures. Implanting RFID chips may actually decrease security, not increase it.

An RFID device is dead most of the time since it doesn’t have its own internal source of power. Rather, the reader sends a burst of power through radio waves that turn on the device, and then a second signal sends a request for the device’s ID.

The thing is, anybody with enough patience to wait for someone to use the door can pick up this unsecured conversation with a simple directional antenna.

Or, if you have the signal broadcast by the door, you can program it into your own handheld reader and use it to trigger the unwitting employee’s ID tag. Presto! You have all the information you need to make your own CityWatcher data center RFID chip.

And with no human element in the security chain who would spot the unknown face going places he shouldn’t be, the criminal now has unfettered access to as many “secure” locations as he has time to scan arms and clone chips for.

The best way to resist this trend is to simply refuse RFID implantation while you still can. If every one of CityWatcher’s employees had refused the procedure, suddenly there would have been nobody to run the data center and the policy would have had to change.

Here’s to hoping the rest of us have the guts to do what those cowardly two CityWatcher employees did not.

http://www.thepolypost.com/story.php?story=3099

Union calls for halt to RFID tracking of workers
18 July 2005 15:25

The GMB is calling on the European Commission to legislate to outlaw the use of radio frequency identification (RFID) and GPS satellite linked wearable computers to tag and track workers in the workplace.

Retailers including Sainsbury's, Marks & Spencer and Tesco were faced with the charge of "dehumanising their workforce" in June, after research from the GMB union claimed the use of electronic tagging for staff was on the rise.

The report by Michael Blakemore, a professor at Durham University, found that companies - predominately those supplying goods to supermarkets - were increasingly requiring staff to wear devices on their wrists and fingers that tell them which goods to pick in different areas of warehouses.

However, the GMB claims the devices also register how long it takes workers to go from one part of the warehouse to another, what breaks the workers require, and how long they need to go to the toilet. "Any deviation from these times is not tolerated," it said.

The companies vehemently denied this was the case.

Paul Kenny, acting GMB general secretary, said the EU appeared to be blissfully unaware of the possible uses of RFID and GPS linked wearable computer technology to tag workers and to ‘seriously invade their right to privacy’.

Europe-wide legislation is urgently needed as this tracking technology is already in use in Britain,” he said.

“No one has been consulted about its introduction and use and workers rights to privacy are being undermined. GMB is now raising the matter directly with the European Commission.”

link

way off the mark am I folks ;)

edited by TheQuixote: fixed link

Smear campaign against RFID privacy activist ?
Spotted on the RFID Privacy Happenings blog:

It seems that the pro RFID propagandists have made an error in trying to
gather biographical information on Katherine Albrecht, a leading RFID privacy campaigner.

Having requested biographical details from her, an incompetent use of email seems to have forwarded a copy of an internal email from the Grocery Manufacturers of America stating:

"I don't know what to tell this woman! "Well, actually we're
trying to see if you have a juicy past that we could use against you."

CASPIAN Press release

http://www.spy.org.uk/spyblog/rfid_tags_epc/

Back