• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Microsoft

A

Anonymous

Is it just me or what?

It seems every time that Microsoft is releasing a new update or new version of an operating system, the current version I am using begins to have crashes far too often.

Example, I was using WIN95 with hardly any problems until Win98 was due to be released, I started experiencing unexplicable crashes so upgraded to Win98... Problem solved, or so I thought.

A few years go by and I start to experience yet more unexplainable crashes when Windows ME was due for release. I upgraded.. problem solved.

Now that Microsoft is releasing XP I am yet again getting unusual crashes , enough to raise my fustration level to the point of "buying "XP in the hopes that crashes will be fixed.

What do you think? Am I paranoid? Or is there some evil software bomb imbedded in Microsoft coding?

lol could be Bill can get away with things like that with his sort of money. I had the same problem with 95 so i got 98 which fixed the problem.

My guess is that the average time it takes for an immaculate OS to become bogged down is about the same as it takes a new version of that OS to be developed. Although it might actually be the case that the OS COULD have been written more stable, but it was uneconomical to make the new OS be able to run for, say, seven straight years without having to reinstall, when a new revision would be along in five years anyway.

Also, as time passes, newer software is written specifically for new systems, and these bog down old systems to the point of crashing. Example: try watching a DiVX movie on anything older than a year or two.

I'd say it's something like the automobile industry though, where it's more profitable to make an OS last for five years and then sell everyone a new one, rather than trying to make new OSs forward-compatible.

if i were you i wouldnt use divx that much although it fits on one disk you get a worse quality try a vcd if you encode at a good rate you get decent quiality you do have to change cd's half way through but its worth it
just a thought
casio

Win 98SE

I just use Win 98SE and reinstall it every year as part of my PC spring clean.

Never seem to have any probs at all. :p

Back