• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Migraine 'Auras' & Other Visual Disturbances

alright, alright, ALRIGHT, I'm going to the doctor!

(sorry I'm shouting, I'm suffering from coffee and banana withdrawal symptoms)

Bless you all, Take good care of yourselves, Dot

I suffered from an awful lot of migraines when I was little...caused me a lot of sick days at school. Although I didn't get visual disturbances, I instead got terrible stabbing/crushing pain and sickness. Vomiting during a migraine is terrible :(

All my doctor could offer to stop them was some pills and advcie to avoid 'trigger foods' (which, according to him, were chocolate, cheese and coffee. I don't like the third, rarely eat the second...shame about the first :p Avoiding chocolate never really seemed to work, so I went right back to eating it :D). Luckily though I managed to outgrow them, and in the years since I've only had one or two.

Funnily enough though the last migraine I had (which was a few months ago) was the only one I had with a visual disturbance. While playing on a GameBoy (you're never too old!) I noticed part of the screen was fuzzy and I couldn't read it. Figuring I'd smudged the screen/my glasses I cleaned them, but to no avail. It really began to irritate me, until I moved my head and the smudge moved too, and I realised it was *in* my sight. Half an hour later the smudge took up most of the left side of my vision and I had a rather nasty migraine.

There's one pill I've found works absolute wonders...I think it's called Ibrulieve, I'd have to double check. I think the only thing that could curb a migraine faster would be cutting your head off ^^

It's Ibuleve, AKA ibuprofen (generic, thus cheaper!)

I have Imigran for mine- fantastic.
The French like to take Imigran in suppository form.

When you're in that much pain I suppose you'd be happy to stick almost anything up your........ erm, how strange these Continentals are.:D

It depends how migraine affects your digestive tract. If I hit one too late with he drugs, I simply throw them up later, since I get bowel statis. The stomach can't hand over to the bowel to absorb so, to prevent necrotising food, it empties its content upward...

At least with a suppository, you don't have to rely on system that may or may not shut down based on time. Can one get them in this country?

triggers

My migraines seem to be generally 'normal'
- Stabbing pain down the left hand side of my skull
- Flickering lights in the upper right quadrand of my field of vision, gradually becoming a spot where I just can't look (sounds weired, but imagine the sensation you get after staring into a bright light then going into a dark room, but the 'blind-spot' is stationary)
- Dizzyness
- General confusion and innability to concentrate
- Sensation of bloatedness

During the migraine my head get's incredibly hot and I sometimes get the sensation that it could 'burst' (silly I know). I tend to feel nazal congenstion too and aftewards I find that I am often consipated.

The Doc initially put me on Imgran - but I found that when taking it it lead to all the symptoms of a migraine but without the head-pains. I found that anti-inflamatory drugs (I was prescribed these after smashing my back up snowboarding) work well: lots of Imbuprofen and Diclofenac work best; Naproxen are ok too; but seem to take ages to get into my system so are crap unless I catch the early signs an hour before it hits.

As for triggers - that totally puzzles me; through school I used to get one every tuesday afternoon; regardless of the timetable or what I'd eaten in the day before. I've come to the conclusion that mine tend to revolve around sleep patterns. If I have a few nights without getting my regulation 7.5hrs it 'builds up', then puts me to bed!

That said - I do find I have more when my hayfever is just starting - in late spring.

It's all a mystery to me...

neutralise the acid build up in your system using bi-carb of soda.

migranes

I have been having migranes since I was about 7 years old. I seemed to suffer from them quite a bit when I was a young girl and then they mellowed out in my teen years which I was quite grateful for.
Then, sadly...they returned again in my mid twenties. I see large dark spots, blobs more like, swimming over my vision a day or so before the headache actually begins and strangely I smell garlic quite heavily. The garlic smell literally seems to seep from my pores although no one around me can detect it. I mean that the smell of garlic actually seems to be coming from my skin and no amount of washing with hot water, soap, etc. can make it go away. I Had a period of a couple of years where I seemed to have them constantly and now I can expect one maybe every few months or so. Sometimes it's a bad one and sometimes it's not. By bad I mean it can last anywhere from two to four full days.
By not bad I mean if I get lucky I might beat it down in a day.
~kim~

the common denominator that we all have is fear/scared. this emotion produces an acid which builds up then overflows into our systems. bi-carb of soda mixed in warm water ( as close to our body temp as you can get for easier absorbtion ) neutralises the acid build up and breaks the cycle of attacks that we all suffer from, allowing us to forget and bury the mental fear/scared/anguish in the deepest recesses of our minds and get on with life.

doctors prescribe drugs which fix the symptoms.......not the cause.

Jerry_B said:
When I get migraines, I don't get anything like you've described. Instead I have spiders running all over the place in my peripheral vision, which can linger even on the day after the migraine.

Thank you sir, from the depths of my heart.

I thought I was going bonkers, seeing spider-like things out of the corner of my eye. I suffer from occasional classic migraines, but of late I've started seeing darkish moving things in my peripheral vision, seemingly house spider-sized. No migraines, though; maybe the spider-thing is not always a precursor.

Anyway, you've explained a minor mystery.

Thank you.

I suffer from migraines, and I do get visual disturbances. It's like a shimmer around the edges of my vision, gradually getting worse until I can barely see out of my left eye.

Understandably the first time I had this, I freaked out! One trip to casualty later and I'm diagnosed with migraine. Lucky...

My doctor had me on migraleve (I believe it was called), hideous neon pink and yellow pills that did nothing to help. I've actually found that being sick at the height of an attack actually helps a little.

My triggers are sleep deprivation and a lot of stress. Unfortunately, I'm also an insomniac. :roll:

4d49a4a2.
OK. Dont want to be the bearer of bad tidings but what you have sounds very much like either a detached retina or something called a subretinal neovascular membrane. This is where, for no apparent reason, a new "web" of tiny blood vessels grow underneath the retina and push it up and away from its basement membrane in one area. This results in that area of retina being starved of oxygen and dying. This is probably why the very experienced optician saw something abnormal.

I know quite a bit about this due to my fiance having this condition. It took quite a while of fobbing off by junior doctors before he was seen by a consultant and had his condition diagnosed. Usually because the junior doctors hadnt got much of a clue what they were looking at.

I wouldnt put off going to have it looked at again. Go back to your G.P. and get referred again to see the opthalmologist. Lie, and say it has worsened. You need a fluoroscene angiogram to look at the vessels in your eye using a special camera.

After the escapade that we endured, I wouldnt be worried if I were you about kicking up a stink. You can obviously see that something is very wrong every day. A little white lie in the G.P's surgery might save the rest of your sight in that eye.

I hope for your sake that I am wrong.

By the way...when the condition began in my fiance, it appeared like and he thought it was a migraine, but it lasted too long. Now he has very minimal peripheral vision in that eye. He is almost blind in it. Please get it looked at again 4d49a4a2.

Witchflame.

P.s. I am a migraine sufferer and know exactly what the visual disturbances are like. :grrr:I loose half of my vision. Its just blank, but like I have looked at a light and got the residual image in the blank area. If you know what I mean. :?

I don't suffer from migraines or have any other medical complaints, but occasionally if I badly injure myself (usually during martial art training), I can actually 'see' the pain in the form of a red mist or cloud surrounding the injured area. The last time this happened was last summer when I dislocated my knee and could see the red mist covering my displaced kneecap. This does only seem to happen if I hurt myself while practicing my martial arts and not of I get hurt doing something else which seems the strangest thing to me.

I had a migraine last night - my vision certainly "tweaked" when I turned the light on, but apart from that I was feeling too rough to really remember anything.

I get migraines - usually around one a month. As far as migraines go, they seem to be in the mild end of the scale... I am still able to function, but feel sick from the pain. I have heard that medication can actually make it harder to function, so I just suffer until I can sleep for more than 6 hours to make it go away.
I can usually tell when one is scheduled for the day because I have the persisting feeling of a hair hanging in front of my right eye. I have a dark line down the middle of my vision on the right - just like if a hair was hanging there. It will even seem to go away for a moment if I brush it away. But it isn`t really there, and comes back in no time. As the pain starts to kick in the vision "line" gradually spreads, and my right eye seems to develop blind spots. I can`t actually see that I`m not seeing there - but I don`t notice any movement in the spots. It`s all very strange.

I get migraines due to seriouse illness when I was younger. When I get them I can't focus on anything, I'll try to read a word and my vision will drift until I end up looking at the word next to it or a word further down the page, I also lose my sense of balance and feel incredibly hungover, also painkillers usually don't work.

I did a search and found a thread called "ocular migraines" which wasn't quite the same. But I apologize if this has been done before.

Does anyone else experience auras before a migraine? I've only had migraines twice in my life, last night was one of them. And last night I saw an aura for the first time. It was really cool. I knew what was happening, because I read about them in an Oliver Sacks book (he thinks Hildegard von Bingen experienced them).

What happened was, I was trying to read a magazine and the edges got blurry. This resolved itself, after a minute or so, into a jagged arc that was shimmery rainbows. It stayed in the lower right field of my vision for about 15 minutes, then stopped and the headache came on (fortunately not very severe, I just had to lay down in the dark for the rest of the evening).

I feel lucky to have experienced this phenomenon! Anyone else?

I get a jagged shape with bright edges and darkness inside it. Then the headache, chucking etc.

Got to admit that I'd rather be without any of it! Very rare for me now though.

Yes. I get very similar symtoms. I'm lucky though because I always seem to escape the headache part. I feel very odd afterward - sick and heavy - but I rarely get the headache. Mine usually starts with a tiny little patch of blurriness just off centre in one eye which at first I usually just think is an afterimage from looking at a light or something, then it gradually expands and forms a question-mark shape made up of little shimmery zig-zags and herringbone patterns which gets bigger and bigger over half an hour or so unitl it expands right out of my field of vision and vanishes with an almost audible "pop". For a while last year I had constant black spots in front of my eyes which would last a few minutes then vanish. My doctor seemed to think this was part of the same thing.

I only get these migraines once in a blue moon but I find them so interesting when it happens that I almost look forward to them.

Qestia said:
What happened was, I was trying to read a magazine and the edges got blurry. This resolved itself, after a minute or so, into a jagged arc that was shimmery rainbows. It stayed in the lower right field of my vision for about 15 minutes, then stopped and the headache came on (fortunately not very severe, I just had to lay down in the dark for the rest of the evening).

I feel lucky to have experienced this phenomenon! Anyone else?
I have often experienced the jagged arc that was shimmery rainbows, but usually the day after I have over-indulged in alcohol - but I've never experienced migraines in association with this.

(FWIW)

I had those effects when I first started getting migraines around the age of 16 or so. I don't get them now, but get alot of peripheral vision hallucinations instead - mostly in the form of spider-like things running up walls, along the floor, etc.. Mind you, I haven't had a proper full-blown migraine now for about 4 years, thank god!

I get what always reminds me of the opening credits of Doctor Who. The sort of swirling vortex tunnel with all the fuzzy bits swirling down into oblivion. It surrounds everything I look at, becoming progressively worse, until it's almost like tunnel vision. By which time, I'm usually lying as still as possible, with pillows wrapped around my head, trying to avoid breathing too loudly or moving too much. The vortexy thing is still there when my eyes are closed, but obviously much more vivid and brightly coloured. I suppose it would actually be quite pretty if it weren't for what it's associated with.

I apologize in advance for the length of this post, but this particular subject has been a 'big deal' for me ...

I had an disabling migraine condition from circa age 18 up to about age 30. The condition was sufficiently severe, examined, and documented that it was the primary reason I was rejected for military service on medical grounds. In talking with doctors and lots of other migraine sufferers I came to learn that the degree and 'style' of the preliminary aura phase varies quite a bit among individuals.

For me, there was usually a pre-visual-aura symptom that could easily be overlooked. My attention / concentration / situation awareness would 'side-slip' and I would have a hard time staying focused on the topic or task at hand. There was no sensation of mental fuzziness or loss of acuity per se, but I simply couldn't stay on track. I used to characterize it as 'my consciousness hitting a patch of ice and starting to swerve'. At about the time I recognized this effect I would usually start noticing the visual effects.

It was rare for me to get a good enough look at the individual 'sparklies' to confirm they were uniform geometrical shapes. More commonly (for me) they were numerous discrete glints or flashes that collectively undulated in a pattern reminiscent of sequined ocean waves. Most often these were at the periphery or the very center of my visual field. There were one or two very severe attacks in which these figures filled my visual field.

Other sufferers I met had different experiences. Some had exclusively 'peripheral sparkly' effects, some central, some whole-field, and others mixed-mode like myself. Some described their sparklies as being considerably larger / larger-grained than mine. Some claimed the presence of multiple regular geometrical shape types (whereas I was never sure I saw more than one type).

The classic dancing lights aura, though, was only a minor portion of my pre-pain aura. I would get an outright 'blind spot' on one or the other side - typically the left. If partial, this would be a region in the center of my visual field or the entirety of my visual periphery. Most often, though, the 'blind spot' effect would subsume the entirety of my visual field on the affected side. Onset of the blind spot was usually rapid and all-at-once, but there were occasions when it seemed to begin as a 'partial' and immediately go 'total'.

The blind spot effect is very difficult to describe. You know that most extreme peripheral verge of your visual field, in which you can tell there are objects / colors / forms yet cannot somehow bring them into discrete 'grasp'? Imagine your entire visual field being like that. I could sense there was light / dark and differentiation of the visual field into subsdiary sub-portions, but I was not literally 'seeing' these distinctions. Any attempt to focus on a discrete 'target' I intuited was here or there resulted in nothing differentiable from the muddled background.

In the most severe cases, the affected visual field would be perceived as a muddled grey fog or fluid. Doctors and others would juxtapose the 'pointillism' of the sparkly phenomenon with this blind spot effect and suggest it must be like the grey 'snow' on a television set with no signal. It was never like that - it was always 'continuous' with no 'pointillism'.

This effect was distinct from the 'dancing sparklies', and the two were co-present only when transitioning from one to the other. The 'blind spot effect' only affected one or the other eye - never both at once. It was common for one eye to be 'blind-spotted' and the other functionally normal with 'dancing sparklies'.

These aforementioned effects (in vary degrees and combinations) always preceded any 'somatic' effect (nausea, hot / cold flashes, transient numbness, and of course the splitting head pain). With me it was not unusual for non-head somatic effects to manifest for up to 15 - 30 minutes before the head pain arrived. Even with the entire above-cited progression being played out, my head would 'explode' on a variable timetable ranging from 2 - 3 minutes up to around 30 minutes after the first noticeable symptom.

No specific somatic cause was ever determined, even though I have been examined / tested during actual episodes.

As I said, the migraines became less and less frequent - disappearing altogether in my early 30's.

I occasionally experience a discrete bout of 'sparklies', but no blind spotting and no headaches (or at least no head pain).

Now fast-forward ....

At the age of 48 I began having 'memory attacks' - episodes of extreme confusion, forgetfulness, and cognitive incapacity. I would 'wake up' in the middle of daily activity not knowing what I'd been doing or why I was where I was. I could functionally normally if I could stay focused on a specific point of reference (topic; document; etc.), but once I lost that focus I might as well have just awakened in the situation. I could recognize faces but fail to associate names with them and even fail to recognize acquaintances. These 'attacks' always had a rapid onset and the effects would persist for several hours (but typically not overnight) - just like the earlier migraines.

I've once again been examined / tested / MRI'd, etc., in a vain attempt to figure out what's wrong. Alzheimer's, stroke, tumors, etc., etc., have all been ruled out. Neurological and psychological testing has identified no deficits (in fact I remain well above-average in test performance).

Neither of the two leading medical hypotheses (non-destructive transient ischemic attacks / post-traumatic stress) are convincing enough for doctors to 'commit to them'.

In the course of these more recent attacks I've noted (and reported) that the effect is like an amplified version of the 'consciousness side-slipping' that was my preliminary migraine symptom.

One neurologist told me (circa 2003 - 2004) there was growing recognition for a syndrome then termed 'painless migraine'. It seemed to mainly affect middle-aged and older people who'd been chronic migraine sufferers in youth. The symptoms usually replicated aspects of their younger migraine experiences, with the sole exception of the head pain.

I don't know for sure, but ... My working theory is that the later 'memory attacks' are a manifestation of the same 'pre-visual-aura-cognitive-disruption' I noted back in the Bad Olde Days of my active migraine condition.

Again - sorry for the length ....

EnolaGaia said:
...The blind spot effect is very difficult to describe. You know that most extreme peripheral verge of your visual field, in which you can tell there are objects / colors / forms yet cannot somehow bring them into discrete 'grasp'? Imagine your entire visual field being like that. I could sense there was light / dark and differentiation of the visual field into subsdiary sub-portions, but I was not literally 'seeing' these distinctions. Any attempt to focus on a discrete 'target' I intuited was here or there resulted in nothing differentiable from the muddled background.

In the most severe cases, the affected visual field would be perceived as a muddled grey fog or fluid. Doctors and others would juxtapose the 'pointillism' of the sparkly phenomenon with this blind spot effect and suggest it must be like the grey 'snow' on a television set with no signal. It was never like that - it was always 'continuous' with no 'pointillism'.

The one and only time I had a migraine it was exactly like this, only I didn't have the expected criplling headache afterwards.

All of a sudden my visual sense failed, and I had a blank area in my main field of view. Strangely, the peripheral vision at the extreme edges was working, so I could see the desk I was sat at, but only when I looked away from it.

Then just as suddenly it vanished again. The whole episode lasted maybe 5 minutes tops.

As it happened exactly one month to the minute after I had been in a Car wreck, I put it down to stress. I haven't had any similar incidents since.

Exactly!.....

It's not like being 'blind' as in 'all dark / no vision', but 'blind-spotted' as in 'something is there but I can't actually 'see' it.'

I've spoken to many migraine sufferers who've never had the blind spot effect. The 'dancing sparklies' (whatever...) seem to be universal, but not the blind spotting ....

In my most severe migraines, I had a sort of localised 'blind spot effect' - it didn't affect my whole field of vision just a substantial proportion of it. Objects on either side of it would be sort of 'drawn together'. That would be followed by 'dancing sparklies', sometimes peripheral vision hallucinations and mental confusion.

The following headache would be like somebody inflating my brain with a bicycle pump until it was trying to escape my skull, occasionally accompanied by nausea. The whole thing would last 48 hours, sometimes more.

They seemed to lessen as I got older. These days (I'm nearly 50) I get about 20 minutes of blurred vision followed by a mild headache that lasts a day or so. Mind you, I'm on all kinds of medication for blood pressure and angina so that may have some effect.

I get blotches of rainbow colored light in my field of vision, usually off to the side, and blind spots, but never have any other symptoms thankfully. They last anywhere from a few minutes to an hour and happen very infrequently. I had it happen last weekend for the first time in many years.

My migranes started when my period did :roll: lucky me. I have found I dont seem to have a trigger in any sort of food stuff apart from tea and coffe, I can however eat chocolate and drink cola red bull etc.. For me the trigger is most certainly hormonal after childbirth it took about three years of regular migraines, then they start to wain down to every few months. It's usually around the time I ovulate that I get one.
I have the aura with mine lasting about 20 mins then then after that the pain in my head will start. Codine is the only thing I have found that gives me any sort of relife from the pain.
however over he last few years I have started to suffer with bouts of double vision, have spend much time nagging the G.P and optician who insist that it's linked to my headaches :roll: I have stoped going the docs now because I just cant see the point any more. Does any one else ever suffer with double vision alongside all the usuall symptoms? it does not normally come with the migraine but randomly at any time throughout the day

honeyplanet said:
My migranes started when my period did..... It's usually around the time I ovulate that I get one.
Have you tried going on birth control pills? Since they surpress ovulation, they might stop your migraines.
By the way, I've never had a migraine - are they like ice cream headaches?
Best,
Mark

People who get migraines aren't supposed to go on the pill. It can be dangerous apparently.

Back