• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Militia Group Takes Over Federal Building In Eastern Oregon Because “The Lord Was Not Pleased”

yes, but what are they /for/?

They are the 'tactical' equivalent of fridge magnets: a way of creating revenue for those companies who produce small, overpriced embroidered patches to be purchased by a certain type of person who wants to look somehow legit by sticking them to the velcro sections on military - or military style - gear, which are, under regular military conditions, for the application of insignia, or MOLLE style accessories.

('Tactical' - a word applied to military spec/style outdoor gear in order to boost the price by 20% and make it more attractive to armchair warriors and those men who just need a couple more inches in their pants. Actually, I'm being unfair; I own a fair bit myself and most of it is really good, top-grade stuff...but then I could also probably do with a couple more inches in my pants.)

Last edited:
They are the 'tactical' equivalent of fridge magnets: a way of creating revenue for those companies who produce small, overpriced embroidered patches to be purchased by a certain type of person who wants to look somehow legit by sticking them to the velcro sections on military - or military style - gear, which are, under regular military conditions, for the application of insignia, or MOLLE style accessories.

right! now I understand :) thank you @Spookdaddy

Trouble in Oregon as one member of Y'all Qaeda went AWOL and allegedly drank away their donations

There is new divide in the Oregon Y’all Qaeda militants who’ve taken over the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in Oregon. RawStory.com has the details:

Joe Oshaugnessy, an Arizona militiaman, has been actively seeking volunteers through social media to join the occupation of Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.

But his friends tearfully announced that Oshaugnessy, who is known as “Capt. O,” had left the refuge Wednesday and was instead staying at a motel nearby — as some others associated with the militants have apparently been doing, according to sources.

Some of the militants have reportedly been spotted eating at area restaurants during the standoff, as well.

A Y’all Qaeda spokesperson said he drank away the donations:

Peltier said Ritzheimer had confirmed that Oshaugnessy had kept the money he had raised through social media for himself and had spent at least some of it on a drinking binge.

Y’all Qaeda supporter Cai Irvin posted a tearful video (which has since been removed) saying Oshaugnessy’s betrayal “is like finding out there is no such thing as Santa.” You can get an example of his other passionate and more-than-a-little-crazy videos here.

https://m.dailykos.com/story/2016/1...AWOL-and-allegedly-drank-away-their-donations

They'd better give up right now, with friends like that.

Pleasing the Lord in Oregon

By now you’ve likely heard of the armed occupation of a federal wildlife building in Oregon. It has made the national news (after some significant prodding by Twitter users) for a number of reasons, not least of which is the apparent double standard in how the news media and law enforcement officials are treating an armed group of white men as opposed to how the news media and law enforcement officials have been seen throughout 2015 to treat unarmed, peaceful black protestors. There have also been a number of “think pieces” on the situation explaining what Mormonism has to do with the Bundy family, the family that has been at the center of a number of situations like this and that is trying to take the lead (and press) in this situation. Russell McCutcheon has pointed out that these think pieces offer us insight into the theories of religion held by their authors and asks us to question whether “religion” motivates action or whether it is used as justification for action. The call here for a more advanced theory of religion is an important one and the national media reporting on this situation shows the lacunae that religionists can fill.

But just how do these justifications work? And how do those condemnations of the standoff by other Mormons work? We can rightly say that the use of such religious discourse is best explained as justification for very real, temporal, and situated actions, but we should not dismiss the fact that those employing such discourse do seem to believe it. What I find interesting, then, are the ways in which various religious discourses are employed and the different appeals to authority made by those who support the actions and those who do not. ...

http://marginalia.lareviewofbooks.org/mrblog-pleasing-the-lord-in-oregon/

79-Year-Old Bird Watcher Takes Down Oregon Militant With Old High School Wrestling Move

BURNS, OREGON — Grandfather of four Robert Saunders says he was just out to check on some young burrowing owls at the crack of dawn this morning when he was confronted by a “red-faced pudgy man with a big gun”.

And things got physical when Saunders refused the barked orders to halt and identify himself.

But it wasn’t the retired teacher who ended up on the ground.

Oregon-Militia-Lone-Soldier-Armed-Sized

“Well heck, one second he was warming his hands by this kind of puny little fire and the next second he was running at me and shouting to get down on the ground,” Saunders told reporters gathered near the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.

“Made me mad really. It’s public property and here this guy is acting all big and tough and pushy.”

“I don’t swear much at all but I told him to screw right off and that made him really angry. He started yelling right into my face — his breath was…well, pee you…it smelled like beer and maybe salami sausages or something.”Oregon-Militia-Go-Home-Bundys-Sized“So I said there was no darn way I was getting down on the ground and he poked me in the shoulder — so, yeah, I did a leg take-down. Didn’t know I even remembered that old move. Did it without even thinking about it. Haha.” ...

http://thelapine.ca/79-year-old-bir...militant-with-old-high-school-wrestling-move/

The best bit of that article:

“We’re hoping this is an isolated incident and we’re asking the elderly not to knock any more militants on their ass,”...

Also, birdwatchers versus armed militia - this is almost too good to be true. It's like the Coen brothers on hippy crack.

God, how I want this to be true - but it's a satirical site, so possibly not.

Last edited:
Experts: ‘Militiamen’ Live Hand To Mouth On Gov’t Disability And Their Wives’ Hard Work

Jon Ritzheimer, infamous right-wing terrorist and incredible douchebag, barely squeaks by on his government disability check and has said that he is “thankful to have a wife who works.” As it turns out, experts tell us that this guy who spends his days fighting imaginary battles and sucking up a good man’s oxygen isn’t the exception to the demographics that make up a right-wing terrorist militia, he’s the definition.

“These guys are broke,” said Mark Pitcavage, who has been researching far-right movements for 22 years and has studied the Harney County occupiers. “Right-wing extremists, generally speaking, have very little money.”

How a right-wing extremist occupation like the one in Oregon would pay for itself isn’t exactly an issue there’s been a lot of data on. By referencing the research of people like Pitcavage, we can deduce that right-wing extremists are for the most part freeloaders, likened to teenagers who think they can take care of themselves but overwhelmed the first time they have to pay a bill or do a load of laundry. ...

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2016/0...on-govt-disability-and-their-wives-hard-work/

Internet mocks Oregon militia with "Vanilla ISIS," "Y'all Qaeda"
  • The Internet is making a mockery of the group, calling them everything from "Vanilla ISIS" to "Y'All Qaeda."

Since Monday, the hashtag #VanillaISIS has received around 1,050 tweets per hour, while #YallQaeda has been shared more than 2,600 times per hour, according to social media analytics site twazzup.

"With hashtags like #YallQaeda and#VanillaISIS, the yahoos in Oregon are getting exactly the respect they deserve," one user tweeted.

While some are calling members of the militia group "domestic terrorists," others emphasize that they shouldn't be compared to deadly extremist groups such as the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria or al Qaeda.

Rather than fearing the gunmen, the Internet is fighting back -- with comedy as their weapon of choice:
#YallQaeda in a nutshell

CX1ge-SWMAEaxgb.jpg

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/internet-mocks-oregon-militia-with-vanilla-isis-yall-qaeda/

Vid at link

I guess #whitesupremistlivesmatter isn't going to take off. I thought that one was pretty funny considering these yahoos are having armed standoffs yet inner city black folks can't even have a candle light vigil without a militarized police response.

As seen on another forum:

"It's sad that there are people who would spend this kind of money on this"

-- Jon Ritzenheimer, dildo appraiser

As seen on another forum:

"It's sad that there are people who would spend this kind of money on this"

-- Jon Ritzenheimer, dildo appraiser

Yeah, what they want is better quality made-in-the-USA sex aids!
That cheap non-patriot stuff won't help them win the war!

Fits here.

Charles Carter and Vincent Smith were right-wing extremists planning a "Paul Revere 2016 Final March to Restore America"— a cross-country caravan to “remove the corrupt leadership that has taken over our beloved country and ousted her God and constitution.“

On Monday, police in Grayson County, Texas reported one person was dead as the result of a gunshot wound to the head. Although they didn’t name the victim or the suspect, Raw Story notes that right-wingers on Facebook were quick to identify the victim as Charles Carter and the shooter as Vincent Smith:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/...illed-his-fellow-patriot-in-drunken-gun-fight

Here is an extensive 2014 article concerning the Bumdy ranch standoff, from the Southern Poverty Law Center
https://www.splcenter.org/20140709/war-west-bundy-ranch-standoff-and-american-radical-right
It may be helpful in understanding the current situatiion.

The article also contains a timeline of militia activity up to that point.

(I really dont want to cause any offence here, so I want to warn that the SPLC is a pro-civil rights pro-tolerance organization. If you dont agree with that view, you may want to avoid the article.)

ETA - info from justice dept. re: the Hammonds resentencing for arson conviction
http://www.justice.gov/usao-or/pr/e...convicted-arson-resentenced-five-years-prison
I trust the SPLC's info. Before I lost my job we donated to them regularly.

Oregon militia's behavior increasingly brazen as public property destroyed
Occupiers of Malheur refuge apparently testing officials’ patience: ‘They’re really trying to get a rise out of somebody,’ says local tribal leader

The militiamen occupying a wildlife refuge in eastern Oregon have adopted increasingly bold and risky tactics in their protest against the federal government, raising questions about how long law enforcement officials can allow the standoff to continue.
Now entering their third week of occupying the Malheur national wildlife refugein rural Harney County, leaders of the militia appear to be testing the patience of the local sheriff’s department and the FBI by brazenly commandeering and in some cases destroying public property while escalating their anti-government rhetoric.

Community leaders and government officials in Oregon and beyond say they fear there could be major damage at the refuge and elevated safety risks for employees and local residents if the militia continues to stand its ground, seemingly emboldened by the continuing lack of consequences.

“For these people to go in and just be destructive, they’re really trying to get a rise out of somebody,” said Charlotte Rodrique, chairwoman of the local Paiute Indian tribe, who has argued that Native Americans have much more of a claim to the public land in question than the out-of-state militiamen running the takeover.

“They really want a confrontation.”

On Friday evening, Rodrique said she was horrified to learn that the militia, led by Nevada rancher Ammon Bundy, had paved a road through part of the wildlife sanctuary. That move came days after occupiers destroyed part of a US Fish and Wildlife Service fence, to allow cattle to freely graze on public lands the federal government controls.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...en-as-public-property-destroyed?CMP=edit_2221

Either this militia want an excuse to shoot someone or they don't, that's what it boils down to, right?

By Letters to the editor
on January 18, 2016 at 4:32 PM, updated January 18, 2016 at 4:33 PM
blank.gif

blank.gif

blank.gif

blank.gif

Federal land: The Oregonian's A1 headline on Sunday, Jan. 17, "Effort to free federal lands," is inaccurate and irresponsible. The article that follows it is a mere mouthpiece for the scofflaws illegally occupying public buildings and land, repeating their lies and distortions of history and law.

Ammon Bundy and his bullyboys aren't trying to free federal lands, but to hold them hostage. I can't go to the Malheur refuge now, though as a citizen of the United States, I own it and have the freedom of it. That's what public land is: land that belongs to the public — me, you, every law-abiding American. The people it doesn't belong to and who don't belong there are those who grabbed it by force of arms, flaunting their contempt for the local citizens.

Those citizens of Harney County have carefully hammered out agreements to manage the refuge in the best interest of landowners, scientists, visitors, tourists, livestock and wildlife. They're suffering more every day, economically and otherwise, from this invasion by outsiders.

Instead of parroting the meaningless rants of a flock of Right-Winged Loonybirds infesting the refuge, why doesn't The Oregonian talk to the people who live there?

Ursula K. Le Guin

Northwest Portland

http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2016/01/headline_on_malheur_is_inaccur.html

These idiots are not Christians they are jerks. They serve themselves.

A federal appeals court is siding with the U.S. government in a decades-old legal battle over livestock grazing rights in Nevada.

In addition to overturning an earlier ruling in favor of Nevada ranchers, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals strongly admonished a district judge in Reno for abusing his power and exhibiting personal bias against U.S. land managers.

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/sto...rcuit-sides-blm-nevada-grazing-case/79012950/

These idiots are not Christians they are jerks. They serve themselves.

Where can the horizon lie, when a nation hides its organic minds in a cellar - cold and grim - they must be very dim.

As we enter Day 19 of the standoff at Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, here are the latest developments:

● The divide among friends and neighbors over the refuge occupation boiled into the open here Tuesday night in a community meeting that crackled with emotion. What residents have feared and only whispered about in recent days took center court at the Burns High School gymnasium. In sometimes highly personal remarks, speaker after speaker vented anger – at public officials, at the federal government and at the man in the brown cowboy hat sitting high in the bleachers to take it all in – Ammon Bundy.

● Ammon Bundy on Tuesday cautioned federal employees not to interfere with local ranchers and miners who defy government regulations as he stepped toward increased militancy on Day 18 of his occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge. The armed protesters are clearing the way for Harney County residents to exercise historic rights to again ranch, mine and log on land now controlled by federal managers, Bundy said.

● Hundreds of people gathered Monday afternoon in a Northeast Portland park to show support for federally owned lands and call for the criminal prosecution of the refuge occupiers. Conservation groups staged similar rallies throughout the state, including in Eugene, Bend and La Grande, according to Oregon Wild, formerly known as the Oregon Natural Resources Council. There also were gatherings in Washington and Idaho.

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-st...andoff_day_19_what_yo.html#incart_maj-story-1

Back