• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Milkshakes / Milk Shakes

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
In case you wondered ... The Guinness-recognized record for most different flavors of available milkshakes is now held by a restaurant in Cape Town.

:hunger:

South Africa restaurant sets Guinness record with 207 milkshakes

A South Africa restaurant was awarded a Guinness World Record after proving the authenticity of its menu's most impressive boast: 207 different types of milkshakes.

Guinness announced Gibson's Gourmet Burgers & Ribs at the V&A Waterfront in Cape Town was awarded the record for the most varieties of milkshakes commercially available.

The restaurant said it took about a year and a half to get the proper documentation in place for the Guinness application and an event was held in October that featured all 207 types of milkshake being served to a panel of judges.

The making of each milkshake was documented in photos and the judges then verify the total number and the unique flavor of each dairy treat. The event was captured on video and submitted to Guinness' office in London, which announced this week that the record attempt was successful.
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/0...ecord-with-207-milkshakes/7271579798185/?sl=2

Aren't they just a bit like melted ice cream?

I only need one sort. Vanilla.

As I've aged I've noticed myself increasingly preferring the simple elegance of the vanilla shake over the choco-centric ones I'd always chosen in my youth.

I have to set the background, so bear with me ...

Circa 50 years ago I had a summer job stewarding tons of ice cream at an otherwise abandoned dairy plant downtown (in my hometown). The dairy company had moved to a new facility miles away, but the new place didn't have something the old place did - a massive storage chamber maintained at a constant 20 degrees below zero (F.).

This was a vestige of the old plant's role in manufacturing ice cream and ice cream novelties of all sorts. It had been the "freezing room" in which the newly-made ice cream was solidified.

When the company moved to their new plant it proved more economical to keep this one vestigial room operational as a storage facility than to replicate it at the new location.

The old dairy plant, which took up half a city block, was therefore a secure derelict complex with a single room and adjacent loading dock that served as my domain. I was the only soul occupying the place, day in / day out.

Each morning a tractor-trailer rig would pull in and I'd unload (literally) tons of ice cream. My only other duties consisted of assembling and loading the daily cargo for the four wholesale route trucks distributing the goodies to restaurants (etc.) throughout our service area. Other than these prescribed tasks I had the entire work day to myself - e.g., to read and sometimes explore the old complex.

Any ice cream packaging that became even slightly soiled or damaged had to be removed from inventory and "destroyed." If a single pint container in a case leaked, the whole case was doomed by policy and regulations.

Luckily, no precise specification had ever been applied to the means of destruction. As a result, I had sole access to a private collection of ice cream of all types (lolly treats up to 5-gallon restaurant / soda fountain tubs) representing circa 3,000 - 5,000 pounds of pure sinful pleasure.

Now, to milkshakes ...

Across the street was one of the town's oldest restaurants / diners. I made a deal with the venerable waitress who ran the place during the lunch shift. I'd bring in two pints of ice cream, of which one was a gift to her and the other was turned into a milkshake to accompany my sandwich or burger.

This allowed me to experiment with milkshakes of any flavor available in my vault's holdings.

Tip From Experience: Avoid using ice cream containing solid chunks in making milkshakes. A butter pecan shake is heavenly, but the chunks clog up your straw.

I have to set the background, so bear with me ...

Circa 50 years ago I had a summer job stewarding tons of ice cream at an otherwise abandoned dairy plant downtown (in my hometown). The dairy company had moved to a new facility miles away, but the new place didn't have something the old place did - a massive storage chamber maintained at a constant 20 degrees below zero (F.).

This was a vestige of the old plant's role in manufacturing ice cream and ice cream novelties of all sorts. It had been the "freezing room" in which the newly-made ice cream was solidified.

When the company moved to their new plant it proved more economical to keep this one vestigial room operational as a storage facility than to replicate it at the new location.

The old dairy plant, which took up half a city block, was therefore a secure derelict complex with a single room and adjacent loading dock that served as my domain. I was the only soul occupying the place, day in / day out.

Each morning a tractor-trailer rig would pull in and I'd unload (literally) tons of ice cream. My only other duties consisted of assembling and loading the daily cargo for the four wholesale route trucks distributing the goodies to restaurants (etc.) throughout our service area. Other than these prescribed tasks I had the entire work day to myself - e.g., to read and sometimes explore the old complex.

Any ice cream packaging that became even slightly soiled or damaged had to be removed from inventory and "destroyed." If a single pint container in a case leaked, the whole case was doomed by policy and regulations.

Luckily, no precise specification had ever been applied to the means of destruction. As a result, I had sole access to a private collection of ice cream of all types (lolly treats up to 5-gallon restaurant / soda fountain tubs) representing circa 3,000 - 5,000 pounds of pure sinful pleasure.

Now, to milkshakes ...

Across the street was one of the town's oldest restaurants / diners. I made a deal with the venerable waitress who ran the place during the lunch shift. I'd bring in two pints of ice cream, of which one was a gift to her and the other was turned into a milkshake to accompany my sandwich or burger.

This allowed me to experiment with milkshakes of any flavor available in my vault's holdings.

Tip From Experience: Avoid using ice cream containing solid chunks in making milkshakes. A butter pecan shake is heavenly, but the chunks clog up your straw.
This is a wonderful story, on a par with my first high school job in a gourmet food store where no homemade cookie could be sold broken and ugly lox could not be used on the hand-made hors d'oervres. Oh god why did I even bother going to college?

I had a sick milk shake a few days ago in the town with no name ... £4 though so I won't be going back unless they lower their price .. that's more than the local taxi's charge me to go to work! (£3.60) when I need one but it was an awesome milk shake .. a scoop of vanilla ice cream live created then straight into my face .. but they need to bring the cost down to £2.50 IMO .. and not £3 either .. .. it's a drinkable ice cream way better than a McDonalds one but still nowhere near a £4 fee .. I did get a plastic straw though .. sucking a milkshake through contemporary paper straws so we don't all kill the dolphins, like, and stuff etc. is a task so you have to almost deep throat paper straws.

Last edited:
I'll bet they even got milkshake with bacon taste.

I had a bacon milkshake at Disney Springs. It was surprisingly nice. The milkshake itself was vanilla with a hint of maple syrup. It had two pieces of crispy smoked bacon stood up in it. There are many other flavours of milkshake I prefer though, so would unlikely order again.

I had a bacon milkshake at Disney Springs. It was surprisingly nice. The milkshake itself was vanilla with a hint of maple syrup. It had two pieces of crispy smoked bacon stood up in it. There are many other flavours of milkshake I prefer though, so would unlikely order again.
Bacon inside a milk shake .. dairy and hopefully cooked and or stored correctly by mostly teenage staff pork ? .. no thanks.

Is that place run by Heston Blumenthal? :p

The other day I discovered that our new shop stocks....strawberry and clotted cream milkshake.

Yes, I did have to test. It's delicious.

I love lime milkshakes, you used to be able to get them in Wimpy burger places.
I remember having a lime milkshake once as a kid, from Wollworths cafe, it was the most disgusting thing i had ever tasted, never again :sick2:l

Love heart milkshakes are fun... they never stop foaming which is absolutely fantastic if transporting them in a moving car. :crazy:

Nutella and parma violet milkshakes however... :bdown: (separate of course!)

Back