'Milky Seas' / Mareel: Vast Glowing Expanses Of Ocean

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
For centuries mariners have reported seeing the nighttime sea glowing from horizon to horizon. This phenomenon couldn't be ignored or brushed off once such widespread glowing areas were captured on satellite images. Though suspected to be the result of microbial bioluminescence, the exact cause has not yet been proven.

Mystery Ocean Glow Confirmed in Satellite Photos
Mariners have long told of rare nighttime events in which the ocean glows intensely as far as the eye can see in all directions.

Fictionally, such a "milky sea" is encountered by the Nautilus in Jules Verne classic "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea."

Scientists don't have a good handle what's going on. But satellite sensors have now provided the first pictures of a milky sea and given new hope to learning more about the elusive events.

The newly released images show a vast region of the Indian Ocean, about the size of Connecticut, glowing three nights in a row. The luminescence was also spotted from a ship in the area. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/9387-mystery-ocean-glow-confirmed-satellite-photos.html

SEE ALSO:: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milky_seas_effect

markrkingston1

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
For centuries mariners have reported seeing the nighttime sea glowing from horizon to horizon. This phenomenon couldn't be ignored or brushed off once such widespread glowing areas were captured on satellite images. Though suspected to be the result of microbial bioluminescence, the exact cause has not yet been proven.

Mystery Ocean Glow Confirmed in Satellite Photos
This reminds me of the strangre glow seen by a pilot over the Pacific a few years ago. I'm sure it was mentioned on this forum.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score