• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mind Machines / Lucid Dreaming Inducers

Originally posted by phitran
After a month of using it it has given me the most amazing results in lucid dreaming.
A month? If I want to dream lucidly, I tell myself "You will dream lucidly tonight" as I'm dropping off to sleep. A couple of nights of that and I'm in.

Uh..why the hell would anyone want to go to that kind of trouble to build a "dream machine". Jeez- just buy one.
WOuldn't it be great if we all could just say "I am going to lucid dream tonight" and it happens. For those of us who aren't friggin' Zen masters like you, maybe these things could help a bit.

Fnorder23 said:
Uh..why the hell would anyone want to go to that kind of trouble to build a "dream machine". Jeez- just buy one.
WOuldn't it be great if we all could just say "I am going to lucid dream tonight" and it happens. For those of us who aren't friggin' Zen masters like you, maybe these things could help a bit.

Often, building something yourself gives you a better understanding of how it functions. Some people are just handy and enjoy such things. And some are just cheap.

For poeple like us, buying is easier. The proteus is really great. I have been busy though. Best results, use regularly and meditate with it etc

There's a Reliable Way to Trigger Lucid Dreams, Scientists Have Found

They're incredible. Amazing. Magical. But perhaps the most fantastic thing about lucid dreams – in which the dreamer becomes aware they're dreaming – is how realistic they seem.

Sadly, only about half of us ever experience lucid dreams in our lives, and efforts to trigger the phenomenon have delivered mixed results. But a study published in 2018 revealed one of the most effective ways of inducing lucid dreaming yet.

Building on their own previous research, researchers at the University of Wisconsin–Madison and the Lucidity Institute in Hawaii wanted to investigate how chemicals called acetylcholinesterase inhibitors (AChEls) might promote lucid dreaming.

The neurotransmitter acetylcholine is thought to help modulate REM sleep, and AChEls help this compound to aggregate in the brain by inhibiting an enzyme (called acetylcholinesterase) that inactivates acetylcholine.

As it happens, a common drug used to treat memory decline in Alzheimer's disease – known as galantamine – is a fast-acting AChEI with only mild side effects, so researchers recruited 121 participants to see what effect the drug had on their ability to have and recall lucid dreams.

It's worth pointing out these volunteers weren't just everyday people, but enthusiasts with an established interest in lucid dreams, who also had undertaken training with lucid dream induction protocols .

When this cognitive training was combined with galantamine, lucid stuff started to happen.

Over three consecutive nights, participants took increasing doses of the drug, starting with a placebo, then 4 mg, then 8 mg on the final night.

Each night, participants woke 4.5 hours after lights out, practiced their dream induction techniques, ingested their capsules, and returned to sleep.

The combination of the induction technique paired with the Alzheimer's medication looks to indeed help trigger lucid dreams, and the higher dosage delivered a stronger result.

While taking the 'active' placebo (0 mg of galantamine but still using the MILD technique), 14 percent of participants reported a lucid dream, but this increased to 27 percent when 4 mg was consumed and rose to 42 percent with an 8 mg dose.

"This combined protocol resulted in a total of 69 out of 121 participants (57 percent) successfully having a lucid dream on at least one out of two nights on an active dose of galantamine," the researchers wrote in their 2018 paper.

https://www.sciencealert.com/there-s-a-reliable-way-to-trigger-lucid-dreams-scientists-have-found

Further info on the drug:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galantamine

https://cks.nice.org.uk/topics/dementia/prescribing-information/acetylcholinesterase-inhibitors/

maximus otter

It Uses A.I. It Goes on Your Head. Can It Induce Lucid Dreams?

Eric Wollberg’s interest in facilitating lucid dreams emerged while living in Jerusalem, reading lots of theology. “Abraham, Muhammad, Buddha, all those prophets received their prophetic wisdom in their dreams.”

During some periods of his life, Wollberg too regularly experienced the sorts of dreams where he knew he was awake. He wondered whether there was a way to use emerging technology to have them on demand.

Last February a hint came from, of all people, Grimes. The electronic pop artist retweeted a software engineer named Wesley Berry III, who was playing around with turning brain waves into art and running his computer with his thoughts. Soon Wollberg was at Berry’s house in San Francisco, pitching him on applying one of these electrode-filled brain activity–monitoring headsets to lucid dreams.

Within just four months, Wollberg and Berry’s new company, Prophetic, raised more than $1 million in funding for a consumer device—the “Halo.”

At an event in New York City on Friday, potential investors will see a “prototype” of the Halo and learn about the company’s plan to use generative A.I., similar to the tech behind ChatGPT, on brain data to induce and stabilize lucidity in the dreamer.

Wollberg and Berry plan to build a headset that utilizes a different kind of “noninvasive neurostimulation”—a transcranial focused ultrasound. This emerging technology activates highly specific regions of the brain, through the skull, using high-frequency sound waves.

https://slate.com/technology/2023/10/prophetic-lucid-dreams-startup-artificial-intelligence.html

maximus otter

I would be interested to hear if anyone does lucid dream on here

Back