• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Bit daft smashing it up considering a toilet isn't exactly heavy.
Cast iron baths however are a different story and the shards on those things are lethal.
Years ago I worked with someone who was almost cut in half by a ceramic sink that broke when he fell against it while on holiday in Thailand. He showed me the photos - anatomically interesting, I can't believe he survived. The insurance company would never have believed him if he didn't have the photos his girlfriend took - and if she wasn't there, he would certainly have died. The insurer thought his injury was more likely to have been a motorcycle injury, and he wasn't insured for motorcycles. The accident went, as far as I remember, like this: he slipped on wet floor, fell against sink, sink bowl shattered and a very large, sharp chunk fell on the floor (think half the sink, with an astonishingly blade-like broken corner pointing upward); he fell on top of aforementioned chunk and was very neatly bisected, except for his spinal collumn and a few other bits. Quite a long recovery.

Years ago I worked with someone who was almost cut in half by a ceramic sink that broke when he fell against it while on holiday in Thailand. He showed me the photos - anatomically interesting, I can't believe he survived. The insurance company would never have believed him if he didn't have the photos his girlfriend took - and if she wasn't there, he would certainly have died. The insurer thought his injury was more likely to have been a motorcycle injury, and he wasn't insured for motorcycles. The accident went, as far as I remember, like this: he slipped on wet floor, fell against sink, sink bowl shattered and a very large, sharp chunk fell on the floor (think half the sink, with an astonishingly blade-like broken corner pointing upward); he fell on top of aforementioned chunk and was very neatly bisected, except for his spinal collumn and a few other bits. Quite a long recovery.
Oooff! I'm surprised he lived at all. Blimey.

You or Gordon would've just walked off and had a double whisky wouldn't you?
A mere flesh wound.

:omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg:
A veritable CHORUS LINE of shock.

That's given me another unlikely doom scenario to ponder on. :thought:

Oh, reading that's made me go really, really wobbly :pop::willy::freak:

My minor strangeness happened yesterday and might have won me a few quid had it happened earlier.

I used to follow the Grand National, but in the last few years I've been working while it's being run so I haven't even bothered to check out the field. Last night I was getting the newspapers ready to return and I was flicking through as I do, noticing that the GN was being featured heavily. I just turned to the Runners and Riders and scanned down the list. There was a horse called I Am Maximus, and as soon as I saw the name I thought 'that sounds like the winner'. (We used to have a cat called Maximus Spot, which probably influenced this opinion!). Packaged up the papers and forget all about it.

Driving home, put the ten o clock news on the car radio and they announced the GN winner. Yep. I Am Maximus. I actually felt the hair on the back of my neck prickle as they read out the name.

Bugger, is all I can say.

My minor strangeness happened yesterday and might have won me a few quid had it happened earlier.

I used to follow the Grand National, but in the last few years I've been working while it's being run so I haven't even bothered to check out the field. Last night I was getting the newspapers ready to return and I was flicking through as I do, noticing that the GN was being featured heavily. I just turned to the Runners and Riders and scanned down the list. There was a horse called I Am Maximus, and as soon as I saw the name I thought 'that sounds like the winner'. (We used to have a cat called Maximus Spot, which probably influenced this opinion!). Packaged up the papers and forget all about it.

Driving home, put the ten o clock news on the car radio and they announced the GN winner. Yep. I Am Maximus. I actually felt the hair on the back of my neck prickle as they read out the name.

Bugger, is all I can say.
Strangely enough, we turned it on just as the race started and randomly picked numbers for winners without knowing anything about them. I picked 5 - I Am Maximus...

I've just found that book about Haunted Kirkbymoorside that I lost last year! And the minorly strange thing is that it was just sitting on top of a bunch of other books, in a place I must have searched before as it's the first place I'd look!

I was just looking at this thread and lamenting the fact that l'd had nothing interesting to post here for ages, no odd coincidences, nothing. For some reason I decided to click back to page one and read the very first post. Much to my surprise it takes place in Chorlton, Manchester, where I've lived for years and where I am sitting right now. I think there's even a good chance that the bakery in question is the one that used to be about thirty seconds around the corner from here. So, that was a pleasantly unexpected minor coincidence with which to start the day.

Last edited:
Back