• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

an odd man who moved in next door to us
I'm guessing it could be a fella that has a lot of spare time on his hands so is often walking around, not just only when you're there.
Either that or a covert ops agent for the FBI on some kind of undercover surveillance (not necessarily of you) - I think you mentioned that the area you are in is a bit dodge.
Or just some oddball.

I'm guessing it could be a fella that has a lot of spare time on his hands so is often walking around, not just only when you're there.
Either that or a covert ops agent for the FBI on some kind of undercover surveillance (not necessarily of you) - I think you mentioned that the area you are in is a bit dodge.
Or just some oddball.
Synchronicity? Coincidence? The universe and its' sense of humor?

Learn something every day - it seems the word 'plowing,' (which I took to be a misspell, or typo) is in fact listed as an alternative way to spell 'Plough/Ploughing!' "Well I never.":huh:
Yes, our cousins over the water have some interesting alternative spellings!

Learn something every day - it seems the word 'plowing,' (which I took to be a misspell, or typo) is in fact listed as an alternative way to spell 'Plough/Ploughing!' "Well I never.":huh:
And here I thought I was using a British term! LOL!
I used to hear my Mum saying that.
There are a few words that Americans spell differently, such as 'humor' and 'color'.

A very minor minor strangeness, which may even be stretching the term...

I took the dog for her morning walk earlier. Usually we go for a run, but it's Sunday, I'm knackered and it's a bit warm up here, so we decided on a walk. We were out for about an hour. Now, normally when we get home our routine is that I feed dog her breakfast then go for a shower, but this morning when we got back it was looking like rain. I'd left some washing on the line so I dashed straight out to fetch it in, then noticed some weeds that needed pulling etc etc.

Eventually went back in to the kitchen and started peeling some potatoes, when I heard a very distinct 'ahem'. A proper, throat-clearing noise of the kind made by customers who want to attract an assistant's attention. I whipped round from the peeling, and saw Dog, sitting on the floor in the middle of the kitchen, just watching me. Whereupon I remembered that I hadn't given her her breakfast yet and instantly rectified the matter, of course.

But I am now suspecting that Dog may have turned into Gaspode the Wonder Dog or something. I've never heard the noise before, and the back door was closed so it wasn't next door, nobody else was about trying to get my attention and it really did sound like 'ahem'.

A very minor minor strangeness, which may even be stretching the term...

I took the dog for her morning walk earlier. Usually we go for a run, but it's Sunday, I'm knackered and it's a bit warm up here, so we decided on a walk. We were out for about an hour. Now, normally when we get home our routine is that I feed dog her breakfast then go for a shower, but this morning when we got back it was looking like rain. I'd left some washing on the line so I dashed straight out to fetch it in, then noticed some weeds that needed pulling etc etc.

Eventually went back in to the kitchen and started peeling some potatoes, when I heard a very distinct 'ahem'. A proper, throat-clearing noise of the kind made by customers who want to attract an assistant's attention. I whipped round from the peeling, and saw Dog, sitting on the floor in the middle of the kitchen, just watching me. Whereupon I remembered that I hadn't given her her breakfast yet and instantly rectified the matter, of course.

But I am now suspecting that Dog may have turned into Gaspode the Wonder Dog or something. I've never heard the noise before, and the back door was closed so it wasn't next door, nobody else was about trying to get my attention and it really did sound like 'ahem'.
Did your dog raise her paw to her mouth at the same time?

Catseye, my dog grumbles and gives exasperated sighs when I don't come up to his standards or expections. He's been lodging with a friend while I was away and she has always given little indulgent smiles (implying I am one of those Doggy parent types) when I mention the grumbling and sighing. Not any more. She's had dogs all her life until recently and never heard anything like it.

Catseye, my dog grumbles and gives exasperated sighs when I don't come up to his standards or expections. He's been lodging with a friend while I was away and she has always given little indulgent smiles (implying I am one of those Doggy parent types) when I mention the grumbling and sighing. Not any more. She's had dogs all her life until recently and never heard anything like it.
My one cat huffs or sighs through his nose when I am bugging him. I have had many house cats in my life as well as barn cats and none have given me the "don't bother, I'm done with you" snub:chuckle:.

Plough? Do you mean "Plog"? :curt:

Back on to the subject of weather conditions and the paranormal, on which I intend to bore for England, I would mention Seasonal Affective Disorder and Prairie Madness, the latter a combination of isolation and harsh weather conditions.
Some people who have experienced a paranormal event say it felt as though they were in a dream like state, or what Jenny Randles calls the Oz factor.
A hot, still summer day, with its sometimes unnatural (to urban ears) silence may be a contributing factor.
My theory, unsupported by anything as crude as evidence is that spring/summer is a particularly festive period, perhaps some evolutionary holdover from a time of plenty and warm weather conditions, freeing the mind to contemplate matters spiritual.

More on Prairie Madness.

A new article in Atlas Obscura dives into the mystery of what some have called "prairie madness," a phenomenon that seemed to afflict American settlers in the mid-1800s to early 1900s as they moved westward and settled into the Great Plains. According to James Gaines, during that time period:

Stories began to emerge of formerly stable people becoming depressed, anxious, irritable, and even violent with "prairie madness." And there is some evidence in historical accounts or surveys, which suggested a rise in cases of mental illness in the mid-1800's to early 1900's, particularly in the Great Plains. "An alarming amount of insanity occurs in the new prairie States [sic] among farmers and their wives," wrote journalist Eugene Smalley in The Atlantic in 1893.
What caused this phenomenon? It's hard to say, but there are several theories. James Gaines continues:

https://boingboing.net/2022/07/26/the-bizarre-mystery-of-prairie-madness.html

More on Prairie Madness.

A new article in Atlas Obscura dives into the mystery of what some have called "prairie madness," a phenomenon that seemed to afflict American settlers in the mid-1800s to early 1900s as they moved westward and settled into the Great Plains. According to James Gaines, during that time period:

What caused this phenomenon? It's hard to say, but there are several theories. James Gaines continues:

https://boingboing.net/2022/07/26/the-bizarre-mystery-of-prairie-madness.html
This is phenomena is well portrayed in the 2018 movie "The Wind" directed by Emma Tammi. The movie is labelled horror, but it is more of a realistic horror.

This dog (now rapidly approaching 8 years old) has never made a noise similar, although, because I wasn't looking at her at the time, I can't rule out that she might have been doing something that made the 'ahem' noise but had stopped by the time she got my attention.

Hmm. This seems to be 'a thing'.

Something similar happened to me recently, only with a drawing pin (thumb tack). Over a year ago, while I was trying to attach something to the outside of an open bedroom door, the drawing pin I was attempting to use slipped out of my fingers onto the carpet. I heard the small sound it made as it hit the carpet, and stooped to retrieve it. It was nowhere to be seen. It was one with a bright red plastic-coated head, and whether it was in the room or had bounced out onto the landing carpet, it should have stuck out like a sore thumb (tack).

I cast all around in my search. Got down on my hands and knees, crawled about, moved things, looked under things, felt around under furniture several feet away. I kept looking for ages, thinking 'it can't have just vanished'. I persisted because I often pad around upstairs in bare feet or just socks, and didn't want to be sorry when I stepped on it. I looked everywhere I possibly could. I didn't find it. Eventually I gave up. As Simon says... grrrrrrrr!!

Then around a month ago (so probably a year after it had vanished) I was standing in the same bedroom, not touching anything, looking up at the top shelf of a tall bookcase in search of a particular book, approximately a foot away from the bookcase, when I felt and heard something hit the right arm of my glasses, with a sharp 'click'. It felt like something had dropped from above me. I then felt it bounce off the bare skin of my right arm as it dropped. Slightly startled, I looked down and there at my feet was a red-headed drawing pin, plain as day. It could almost have been smiling up at me. I have no idea where it had (seemingly) fallen from, or if it was the same one that had previously vanished, but I don't have loads of them lying about. If it was the same one, as you say Simon, where had it been in the intervening months? I don't suppose we will ever know.
I take it you live alone CK? I mean could someone have found it on the floor and removed it to the bookcase, with the intention to retrieve it later and/or to tell you about it but forgetting to?

My favourite stick with tight jar lids is to wrap an elastic band round them, then try. The worst bit is usually finding a laggy wide enough!
Another way is to place your jar on a damp cloth on the worktop (or floor), get a nail and with a swift whack with a hammer, pierce a hole through the lid. It will then come of easily.

The easiest way to get a jar lid off, especially if you have been struggling with it in various ways, is to pass it to someone else to try, who will invariably 'pop' it off easily, causing you to remark "Well, I loosened it..."

Another way is to place your jar on a damp cloth on the worktop (or floor), get a nail and with a swift whack with a hammer, pierce a hole through the lid. It will then come of easily.

Or use a tin opener that has a piercer as part of the handles.

Perhaps you should explain exactly what "Plog" stands for, as I have no Idea what it represents - it doesn't appear to be an officially recognised word?
To my American eyes, "plog" is how it looks like "plough" would be pronounced . . . :hoff:

Back