• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

To be honest, given that women do most things at least as well as men (and there are some things they can do we can't) being asked to open pickle or jam jars is right up there with rescuing them from spiders for restoring some male 'amoure propre'.
LOL - I always tell my husband that he can't go first - because I'll be at his grave crying that 'there's a spider in the bathroom the size of a buick and he has to come and rescue me!' :)

The big drawback of hydrogen powered vehicles (or hydrogen powered anything for that matter) is that because hydrogen is the smallest element there is no container you can make that it wont just pass straight through. Hydrogen has to be liquified and kept under pressure and whatever you use to contain it has to be specially coated with all sorts of stuff AFAIK.
I believe there has been some work done with storage inside carbon nanotubes in recent years.
The problems of storage are going away.

The big drawback of hydrogen powered vehicles (or hydrogen powered anything for that matter) is that because hydrogen is the smallest element there is no container you can make that it wont just pass straight through. Hydrogen has to be liquified and kept under pressure and whatever you use to contain it has to be specially coated with all sorts of stuff AFAIK.
Just out of curiosity, what did they use in airships?

Just out of curiosity, what did they use in airships?
They were constructed of an outer shell inside which were 'passenger areas', a part of which extended beneath the craft, the rest of the frame held mostly an ambient air-pocket containing large 'bladders' (Gas Cells) of Hydrogen gas which could be adjusted for pressure by releasing some gas, or adding from compressed tanks. The bladders were specially 'doped' to retain as much of the gas as possible, however some would naturally pass through the material anyway and this had to be vented regularly (due to it's flammability) from the points at the top of the airframe where it would tend to collect.
When the Hindenburg disaster happened, this was thought to have been caused (AFAIK) by a static discharge from landing guy-ropes igniting the pockets of unvented Hydrogen gas, which in turn made the skin of the airframe combust as it too was made out of highly flammable materials.
And then it all got very messy.
(Modern airships use Helium instead - much less messy)
1659960453719.png

which in turn made the skin of the airframe combust as it too was made out of highly flammable materials.
iirc it was a composite of materials which contained the required ingredients for 'on-the-hoof' thermite.

With the sad passing of Olivia Newton-John on the news this morning, I went into work with her music bouncing round my head. I went into the downstairs lab to start things going, singing "Sam" under my breath, at which point my phone pinged with a text. It was the In House GP (on his day off) telling me that his phone had thrown up an ONJ song second track, and she'd never sounded better. I texted back what I had been singing when his message arrived, and his response was that "Sam" was the song he had heard... spooky.

As already stated, airships used hydrogen (nowadays, helium), but not for propulsion of course.
No, understood, but the question arose about the difficulty of containing hydrogen which is - apart from its unfortunate inflammability - the best lifting gas.

No, understood, but the question arose about the difficulty of containing hydrogen which is - apart from its unfortunate inflammability - the best lifting gas.
Right, I'm with you. You were asking about containment, sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick! As you were, everyone...

Years ago I bought a linen shirt and the very bottom button was sewed on with a different colour cotton (red). I remember thinking how daft that was because people will think the button had fallen off and I had sewed it back on using the wrong colour thread.
Just checked; they're now all the same colour- light red.

Years ago I bought a linen shirt and the very bottom button was sewed on with a different colour cotton (red). I remember thinking how daft that was because people will think the button had fallen off and I had sewed it back on using the wrong colour thread.
Just checked; they're now all the same colour- light red.
Sometimes, reality just shifts under your feet...

Research chemists at my site still use hydrogen gas in a few of their syntheses: fill a small balloon with hydrogen from lecture bottle, affix a large hypodermic needle to the neck (get a Grown Up), stick needle end though rubber septum (bung) of reaction vessel. Hydrogenation can commence at it's own pace whilst you investigate something in the Tea Room. Not any party balloon though, it has to be a scientific party balloon (more expensive) with much smaller pores in the rubber. If you fill an ordinary balloon with hydrogen it deflates fairly quickly - as you say, H2 is a very small molecule.

investigate something in the Tea Room
I'm guessing that would be the experiment involving dried leaves of the Camellia Sinensis plant and it's reaction to being submerged into boiling H2O, followed by the addition of the excretions of bovine lactic products, and a measured quantity of disaccharide C12 H22 O11.
And biscuits.

I'm guessing that would be the experiment involving dried leaves of the Camellia Sinensis plant and it's reaction to being submerged into boiling H2O, followed by the addition of the excretions of bovine lactic products, and a measured quantity of disaccharide C12 H22 O11.
And biscuits.
If that was a guess then it was pretty darn close - at least in my time. Now more likely involves SunnyD and Haribo Sour Smurfs.

You still have a Tea Room? Lucky, lucky people!
We were promised a 'break-out' room for the Staff and Technicians, but after refurbishment it seems to have been confiscated by The Evil Empire Estates for a workshop. Stores has been redesignated (I suspect) as a Laboratory - so full PPE in this heat and no food or drink at the PC terminals. If I want to take water with my anti-migraine tabs I have to go out into the corridor.

Floyd, never heard of this with last button. It used to b common for last button on a placket is a spare an sewn on in different thread to distinguish it, so you don't get the wrong button in hole.
No, I'd never seen this before either. I took it to just be a quirk/design of this particular make. I double checked with MrsF that I hadn't imagined it and she confirmed I was correct. (The only thing was that she couldn't remember whether it was the top or bottom button that had different colour thread).

With the sad passing of Olivia Newton-John on the news this morning, I went into work with her music bouncing round my head. I went into the downstairs lab to start things going, singing "Sam" under my breath, at which point my phone pinged with a text. It was the In House GP (on his day off) telling me that his phone had thrown up an ONJ song second track, and she'd never sounded better. I texted back what I had been singing when his message arrived, and his response was that "Sam" was the song he had heard... spooky.
Wait IHGP has days off? How very dare he.:hahazebs:

Back